Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 14:17   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,315
Thanked: 23,888 Times
Default Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Mod Note:

Team-BHP's Celerio Review has been uploaded at this link (Maruti Celerio : Official Review).

Team-BHP's Celerio Diesel Review has been added at this link (Maruti Celerio Diesel : Official Review).


Please continue the discussion on the threads linked above.


Maruti Suzuki is rumoured to be working on an 800 cc diesel engine, which it plans to use in the Celerio hatchback and the Eeco. It is a self-developed engine, which will also be used to power the company’s upcoming LCV (codenamed Y9T).

We had reported earlier that the new diesel engine would be a 2-cylinder, turbocharged unit which would first be used in commercial vehicles and later refined to make it suitable for passenger cars.

The first vehicle to be launched with this unit will be the Y9T mini truck. The Celerio hatchback is next in line. Both these vehicles will be launched in the current fiscal.

The diesel Eeco is expected to be launched in 2016 and will be Maruti's first diesel commuter van. With it, the company is planning to target the low-cost passenger carrier segment in rural and semi-urban areas. This segment is currently dominated by the Ace Magic from Tata Motors and the Mahindra Maxximo. Presently, the Eeco is available with petrol and CNG options only, which puts it at a disadvantage against the two segment leaders. The addition of the diesel variant will make it a worthy competitor. The Eeco is also expected to progressively replace the Omni.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source: Financial Express

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2015 at 02:14. Reason: Adding link to official review :)
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 15:42   #2
D4D
BHPian
 
D4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden City
Posts: 482
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Well, that's some news. I thought Suzuki was dominating MS partnership and didn't allow Maruti to build any technology.

But how economical will a diesel be for a car like Celerio? The ARAI claims 20.xx kmpl on the Celerio petrol, so why bother making a diesel?

And Maruti into commercial segment? I personally think it will backfire as Maruti is only associated with small cars (Ertiga being an exception)

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2014 at 15:12. Reason: PM coming up
D4D is offline  
Old 24th April 2014, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

A Diesel Celerio with AMT and 6.5 around on road price with around 15 to 15.5 kgm of torque and maybe 55 bhp will have 3 to 4 years waiting period IMO. Perfect for city driving, enough grunt to take it on the highway because of its low weight with the convenience of an AMT. A segment starter this. If Tata and Mahindra want a first movers advantage, something of this shape and size with a 1 liter 4 cylinder diesel should be launched by them before Maruti attacks this segment. I ll be a KO for sure.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 18:31   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
But how economical will a diesel be for a car like celerio? The ARAI claims 20.xx kmpl on the celerio petrol, so why bother making a diesel?
Cost per km will certainly be lower for diesels. If petrol variant can give 20kmpl, expect the diesel to be at least 24.

We look at diesel variants as higher initial investment and lower fuel expenses when compared to petrol variants. In reality, most of us actually buy the car on loan which means there is not really a very higher initial investment even in case of diesels. It is just the EMIs that get costlier by around 1.5k per month. A good chunk of that gets offset by the higher monthly cost for petrol anyway.

When you want to take the car out for a drive with no real need associated to it, you do it more frequently with a diesel than with petrol. In such a situation, you are unlikely to factor in anything other than the actual cost of that particular trip. The savings that you got in EMI by buying a petrol car instead of a diesel wouldn't come into the equation at that time. You would have already found a way to use up that savings elsewhere, probably in a higher speed net connection or an HD package for your cable or the likes. You automatically adjust your living style to your income post deductions. Even if EMI is 2k higher, you adjust to it in most cases. However, any unplanned fluctuations in the monthly income post deductions is not as easily absorbed by most folks who care so much about FE.
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 19:39   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A Diesel Celerio with AMT and 6.5 around on road price with around 15 to 15.5 kgm of torque and maybe 55 bhp will have 3 to 4 years waiting period IMO. Perfect for city driving, enough grunt to take it on the highway because of its low weight with the convenience of an AMT. A segment starter this. If Tata and Mahindra want a first movers advantage, something of this shape and size with a 1 liter 4 cylinder diesel should be launched by them before Maruti attacks this segment. I ll be a KO for sure.
Absolutely! But Tata & Mahindra will have to move really quickly to beat Maruti to the punch. But somehow I don't think they have that capability.
wilful is offline  
Old 24th April 2014, 21:28   #6
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti Suzuki is rumoured to be working on an 800 cc diesel engine, which it plans to use in the Celerio hatchback and the Eeco.
I recall Maruti pitched the Eeco as an MUV of sorts for urban families. The lack of a diesel variant may have made it less attractive, but just look at that price! For anyone wanting a vehicle to carry all the luggage on occasional long drives, this seems like a good choice, partly because of the low cost. A diesel engine would drive prices higher, but perhaps a 2-cylinder would narrow the price difference.
k_nitin_r is offline  
Old 24th April 2014, 23:32   #7
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 859
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I recall Maruti pitched the Eeco as an MUV of sorts for urban families. The lack of a diesel variant may have made it less attractive, but just look at that price! For anyone wanting a vehicle to carry all the luggage on occasional long drives, this seems like a good choice, partly because of the low cost. A diesel engine would drive prices higher, but perhaps a 2-cylinder would narrow the price difference.
Even with the existing petrol engine, the Eeco can be a superb family car if it has...

1. A better 'car-like' drive: From what many taxi drivers have told me, the present Eeco is a ship on wheels and has tremendous body roll, given its tall and narrow specifications. Besides, the Eeco has a very bumpy ride in the rear, especially with less weight on board.

2. Better options: The lack of a power steering and limited variants like 5-seater AC/Non-AC and 7-seater non-AC. Why cant the Eeco have a factory-fitted PS option and a 7-seater AC option?
Besides, the Eeco has pathetic rear seats with no head rests. These seats are as good or as bad as the government-run state buses. Why couldn't Maruti have installed more comfortable seats if they want to sell the Eeco for families?

In my opinion, the Eeco should have a FAMILY EDITION for about Rs 1 lakh extra, but with the following features:

1. Power steering
2. Better and softer seats with head rests
3. AC on all variants
4. Softer suspension, if possible.
5. ABS, if possible.

If such an Eeco is available, I would surely consider one such car for its superb cabin/boot space as a 5-seater vehicle.

Better still, Maruti should consider a shorter and wider variant of the present Eeco. If Hyundai could have a shorter and wider variant (Grand i10) of the old i10, I see no reason why we cant have a "Grand Eeco".

But these are my thoughts.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 00:52   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai / Gold Coast
Posts: 160
Thanked: 122 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
In my opinion, the Eeco should have a FAMILY EDITION for about Rs 1 lakh extra, but with the following features:

1. Power steering
2. Better and softer seats with head rests
3. AC on all variants
4. Softer suspension, if possible.
5. ABS, if possible.

If such an Eeco is available, I would surely consider one such car for its superb cabin/boot space as a 5-seater vehicle.
.
Apart from the price & the ABS bit, such an Eeco was available, it was called the Versa, nobody considered it nor bought it.
da_lowrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 04:03   #9
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 859
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Apart from the price & the ABS bit, such an Eeco was available, it was called the Versa, nobody considered it nor bought it.
Three factors ruined the Versa: price, high cost of spares and poor FE. The Versa was terribly overpriced at the time and had a poor FE. Since many of its parts were imported, the spares were costly as well. All these three factors ruined a great car.

The Eeco, however, is attractively priced, has better FE than Versa and has cheaper spares.
Even with the addition of Rs 1 lakh for the extra fitments I have suggested earlier, it would still be cheaper than the Versa.

Besides, the Eeco Plus (as it could be called) would be an ideal poor man's Enjoy/Evalia/Stile in a compact shell to enhance movement/parking in the city.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 12:34   #10
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 132 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Three factors ruined the Versa: price, high cost of spares and poor FE. The Versa was terribly overpriced at the time and had a poor FE. Since many of its parts were imported, the spares were costly as well. All these three factors ruined a great car.

The Eeco, however, is attractively priced, has better FE than Versa and has cheaper spares.
Even with the addition of Rs 1 lakh for the extra fitments I have suggested earlier, it would still be cheaper than the Versa.

Besides, the Eeco Plus (as it could be called) would be an ideal poor man's Enjoy/Evalia/Stile in a compact shell to enhance movement/parking in the city.
My two cents.
Completely appreciate your additions to EECO . Versa was a failed model and Maruti just wanted to use the existing molds for some more year and they created EECO.If they wanted, anything is possible ,but Maruti had kept it as OMNI upgrade .Omni don't have a PS so EECO also don't have it.But after all these upgrades you suggested, the price will come closer to Ertiga Petrol and that may be another point why EECO is neglected. Safety wise EECO will not even score half a point.Definitely the focus is now on Ertiga,which is termed as a mass mover for maruti. Add to that there was a news about a stretched Wagon R in the offing. This place is getting crowded
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 13:38   #11
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 859
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
My two cents.
Completely appreciate your additions to EECO . Versa was a failed model and Maruti just wanted to use the existing molds for some more year and they created EECO.If they wanted, anything is possible ,but Maruti had kept it as OMNI upgrade .Omni don't have a PS so EECO also don't have it.But after all these upgrades you suggested, the price will come closer to Ertiga Petrol and that may be another point why EECO is neglected. Safety wise EECO will not even score half a point.Definitely the focus is now on Ertiga,which is termed as a mass mover for maruti. Add to that there was a news about a stretched Wagon R in the offing. This place is getting crowded
Even with the additions that I have suggested, the Eeco could be Rs 4-4.5 lakh, well short of the Ertiga which is about Rs 6+ lakh. Point is, Maruti should try various options on the Eeco, especially when they have the mould. Why cant the Eeco have LXI, VXI, ZXI options? There are many people who see value in the compact yet spacious cabin, but the poor fitment (lack of PS, poor seats, etc.) puts them off.

Instead of merely adding a diesel variant, the Eeco (petrol and diesel) should also be fitted with better features, or at least the options should be available to the buyer. Heck, I would love to buy a loaded Eeco ZXI wth PS, better seats, softer suspension, ABS for about Rs 4.5-5 lakh.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 12:19   #12
D4D
BHPian
 
D4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden City
Posts: 482
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...nfirmed/18387/

The article says it's confirmed about the diesel. Good news, though I'm not sure it would make much financial sense unless you keep your car for a very long time. We Indians are easily carried away by 'diesel' options, even if they don't make financial sense.
D4D is offline  
Old 29th May 2014, 14:29   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Is this the Maruti Celerio Diesel?

Automotive portal have managed sighting, spy pics & video of the Celerio Diesel. Please refer the link to their report below:

http://blog.gaadiwaadi.com/2014/05/m...est-spied.html

Link to their video:



Excerpts -

Quote:
The Celerio Diesel will powerd by about 792cc 2 Cylinder Diesel engine which gives 48 PS of power & 125-138 NM torque that seems Low as compared to other Maruti diesels but you will impress by it's Fuel Economy i.e 27.1 KMPL . During the Road test we Feels that its initial pickup is very poor and will hope that Maruti is come up with this before its final launch .

One more thing that not go into Celerio diesel favor is its Engine Noise as you can feel its engine noise like a Gen-set type noise and may be it will be lowered before the final launch.

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2014 at 12:09. Reason: Embedding video :)
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:47   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,128
Thanked: 934 Times
Default re: Is this the Maruti Celerio Diesel?

"The Celerio Diesel will powerd by about 792cc 2 Cylinder Diesel engine which gives 48 PS of power & 125-138 NM torque."

We were already living with the fact that the Polo's and the Quanto's have been fitted with a 3cy engines. And just when we thought that was enough, Maruti comes up with a 2cy Diesel engine. How far are the days when we see cars with single cylinder engines? Probably I can modify my Bullet's engine and use it in the car.

Jokes apart, If this story is true, a 2 Cylinder engine in a car sounds weird. Very weird. I really hope that this testing gives up unfavourable results and Maruti plonks a 3cy engine into this.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:55   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 453
Thanked: 415 Times
Default re: Is this the Maruti Celerio Diesel?

Sounds like 'jugaad innovation' to me!

Which management folks say is a particular Indian genius. How will they dampen the vibrations and noise, I wonder?
desdemona is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3) mints21 The Indian Car Scene 52 14th December 2015 11:01
Maruti Suzuki Celerio ZXi AMT launched at Rs. 4,99,999 Aditya The Indian Car Scene 24 12th May 2015 16:46
Maruti to offer Automated Manual ("EZdrive") in small cars*EDIT: Celerio AMT launched tj123 The Indian Car Scene 491 28th March 2014 20:11
New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched M00M The Indian Car Scene 526 3rd November 2012 20:50
Laura and Superb to come with new CRDI diesel engine EDIT: Now launched .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 123 27th July 2012 00:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks