Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd November 2014, 17:07   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Maruti Alto K10 facelift caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Yet another cheap-&-made-out-of-tin-foil-with-no-regard-to-safety hatchback from the largest car seller in India!

Expect to see a gazillion bookings soon, with the mango people flocking the showrooms clutching their checkbooks, discussing about .0001% lower interest rates from the banks, and how the other dealer is throwing in a deity idol for free along with some mud flaps and a box of tissues.

Soon, in a years time, the manufacturer will release a so called Limited Edition with puke inducing graphics, boasting how millions of people have fallen in love with our tin can. It will have the same crappy plastic interior, in a different color, and some el-cheapo seat covers. Again, the mango folks will put down their money in exchange for some crappy ancient technology that isn't used anymore in the civilized world, in a car that is as well built as a box of cigarettes.

Typical.
What would you do if you need or desire to own a car but have very tight budget? Aren't these cars safer then the 2 wheelers (which often carries the entire family) from which families are upgrading to? Just out of curiosity, what car do you own?

Last edited by Guna : 3rd November 2014 at 17:09.
Guna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
What would you do if you need or desire to own a car but have very tight budget?

I do agree with this argument regarding the normal Alto, but not the K10.

It is supposed to be a sportier version. With a very high power to weight ratio, thin wheels and absolutely no regards to safety (VXo might not even make it to the dealers!) - that's just too much to be considered 'safer than a two wheeler'.

The acceleration and top speed this small car is capable of is just too much and it would be the first sporty option many people buy into! Cheap thrills might not go well in the long run.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:15   #138

Quote:
Yet another cheap-&-made-out-of-tin-foil-with-no-regard-to-safety hatchback from the largest car seller in India!

Expect to see a gazillion bookings soon, with the mango people flocking the showrooms clutching their checkbooks, discussing about .0001% lower interest rates from the banks, and how the other dealer is throwing in a deity idol for free along with some mud flaps and a box of tissues.

Soon, in a years time, the manufacturer will release a so called Limited Edition with puke inducing graphics, boasting how millions of people have fallen in love with our tin can. It will have the same crappy plastic interior, in a different color, and some el-cheapo seat covers. Again, the mango folks will put down their money in exchange for some crappy ancient technology that isn't used anymore in the civilized world, in a car that is as well built as a box of cigarettes.

Typical.
Whats your point Sourav? Are you saying that people who have a budget of 3laks should never buy a car? Or are you saying that the manufacturer should build you a tank for 3laks?
Vampirevipin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
What would you do if you need or desire to own a car but have very tight budget? Aren't these cars safer then the 2 wheelers (which often carries the entire family) from which families are upgrading to? Just out of curiosity, what car do you own?
Well considering a person wanted to carry his family (I mean kids/ wife/elderly parents) and is aware about risks associated with someone banging into him. 2 options which could be better than this tin box-

- Buy a second hand car with safety features. You can get good cars, even sedans in 3-4 lac range. Yes fuel and maintenance would be on higher side but as you will not always be ferrying around your family- Drive Less, use your previous mode of transportation- Period

- Put in a lac more and go for a car which at least have structure in place. Believe me in case of an accident you will never regret the decision.

This is coming for a person with family and who has met with accidents twice in last 6 months (Banged on side and back respectively). I drive a Fiesta and proud of the build quality. If one can spend 3 lacs for this tin surely he can spend 4 lacs also. Saving few thousands over the safety of your loved ones is not advisable.

Better safe than sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post
Whats your point Sourav? Are you saying that people who have a budget of 3laks should never buy a car? Or are you saying that the manufacturer should build you a tank for 3laks?
No my dear! What he means is people will buy anything which is cheap and solves the purpose of seating 5. They will buy a 3 wheel car too if it comes in category of car & if it's cheap. Who cares for safety as long as you are not at the receiving end.

I have seen this tin box driven at crazy speeds as if a cancer patient driving with million dollar insurance.

FYI- I am sorry to reply on Sourav's behalf

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd November 2014 at 17:45.
Passiautonate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:07   #140
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Maruti Alto K10 facelift caught EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 3.06 lakh

Quote:
+1 It is certainly more safer option to be in alto or any other car from its segment than being on a two wheeler. Its for manufacturer's like Maruti / Tata who have made cars no longer an item of luxury, they have made it possible for even a common man to own a car. So instead of criticizing them we need to applaud them once a while for making such affordable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post

I have seen this tin box driven at crazy speeds as if a cancer patient driving with million dollar insurance.
You yourself have answered that these are actually not that unsafe cars, it's how you drive puts you in a position of danger. People have met horrific and tragic accidents even in BMW's / AUDI's and Merc's. So instead we should try educating and promoting safe driving habits rather than complaining about cars being unsafe.

In some related news, even a premium hatchback like SWIFT has made it to the list of Global NCAP failures. Team-BHP link for the same news article is http://www.team-bhp.com/news/datsun-...-ncap-failures

Last edited by MadAbtCars : 3rd November 2014 at 18:30.
MadAbtCars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:46   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry sir, But I am not in agreement with faulting the 'mango man' on this one. If anything it is the govt. that should make safety features mandatory and the pricing will be able to absorb it with out too much difference. Right now as it is optional, safety features are priced at a premium and any manufacturer that will try to bring about this change will suffer in price competitiveness.

Also I kind of admire the Indian mango man, he is the kind that works ungodly hours, sacrifices his needs and saves penny by penny to provide the best he can afford to his family / kids. So kindly do not take it as a sign of cheapness if he bargains for '0.0001%' lower rate or mud flaps, for he knows the value of that money.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:53   #142
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Maruti Alto K10 facelift caught EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 3.06 lakh

I think wagonr and alto k10 had a gap of 50-60k, and it has been maintained the same gap with AMT k10 and AMT celerio. I agree that people should borrow or arrange funds and go for celerio. It is a much better package for the added cost.
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:07   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet another cheap-&-made-out-of-tin-foil-with-no-regard-to-safety hatchback from ---------------snip-------------py ancient technology that isn't used anymore in the civilized world, in a car that is as well built as a box of cigarettes.

Typical.
They make these cars, because the law allows then to. That's why they're ultra cheap, low budget vehicles.
Is there a point to this valuable input?
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:41   #144
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
When you have a tight budget and need to buy a new car, there is always the Tata Nano. It is safer than a two wheeler and about as safe as alto Alto. If I am asked to pay more than double the price for the Alto k10 then it is well in my right to expect something substantially more in terms of safety kit.
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:56   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
They make these cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirevipin View Post
Whats your point Sourav?...
Quote:
What would you do if you need or desire to own a car but have very tight budget...
To all those who quoted me, and flamed me to no end, here's my point of view, which was already expressed in a brilliant post by TheLizardKing . Borrowing his post for reference, hope that is allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
MS is the most shameless car manufacturer in India when it comes to safety features. At a time when VW and others are making dual airbags standard across variants, it is shocking that MS makes it available only on the top variant. DRLs, electrically folding mirrors, and the start/stop button are NOT going to save your life when you have an accident.

I don't know why I rant. The new Swift gives better mileage, so it is going to sell. Once again the Indian customer gets what he deserves...
'Nuff said. The same logic applies here. AMT in a cheap car with outstanding mileage, who cares about safety!

And please don't say that safety features should not be included just because it is a cheap car. And to all those who asked what would someone do if they couldn't afford a better car on a tight budget? Well, here's a little thought: save a little more, get a better car. Money will come & go, the life of your wife & kids won't. Unless you are a halfwit who thinks that buying a cheap car with no safety features and a high power-weight ratio will save you in the event of an accident.

Some people asked me what car I own? For your information, it is a 10 year old Chevy Optra 1.6 LT. WITH airbags & ABS. And no, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I bought the car for peanuts, and spent money on it, improving it, while making sure I drove around in something that offered a modicum of safety to me and my wife, instead of some tin can that gave better mileage.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 3rd November 2014 at 19:58.
sourav9385 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 20:10   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It is supposed to be a sportier version. With a very high power to weight ratio, thin wheels and absolutely no regards to safety (VXo might not even make it to the dealers!) - that's just too much to be considered 'safer than a two wheeler'.

The acceleration and top speed this small car is capable of is just too much and it would be the first sporty option many people buy into! Cheap thrills might not go well in the long run.
I don't think power to weight ratio has anything to do with safety. If the design and construction of a car is flawed and unsafe then it doesn't matter if the engine is powerful or underpowered.
The GT TSI version of the Polo isn't less safe than the regular version.
If a crash was to occur at 60kmph in the Alto and K10, then I think the result would be similar in terms of occupant safety.
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:42   #147
BHPian

Of late I have been noticing a trend in the forum. There is a holier than thou attitude just because we seem to be discussing Automobiles 24/7 in a dedicated website.

Not all people have the means to buy car with all the safety features. Somebody needs to build cars for people with lower income but who have the desire to own something that moves on 4 wheels.

Maruti is able to provide it to them at a cheap cost and also ensure it runs reliably. If the VWs and Skodas and other Germans/foreign manufacturers are able to build 'safe tanks' at that price, please do by all means.

Toyota have openly admitted that they are not able to compete in the small car segment.

Lets help educate people but not be judgemental. I know it is a bit ironic but I have had to post this because it is getting a bit out of hand.
SchumiFan is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:10   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
If a crash was to occur at 60kmph in the Alto and K10, then I think the result would be similar in terms of occupant safety.
Agreed. However, a less powerful car has a lesser probability of attaining high speeds when compared to a much more powerful car. This is because a car that takes 18+ seconds to do 0-100 might rarely see high speeds except during some empty stretch in a highway.

Again, putting a B segment engine into an A segment car that weighs much lesser makes it attain acceleration figures comparable to B+ or C segment vehicles. Does the same car get equipped with enough mechanisms to decelerate on par with the cars whose acceleration figures are matched by it? Not a chance! This is where the risk increases. In an Alto K10, you might be able to keep up with a C segment sedan on the highway till the time the car in front brakes. In general, the public overlooks the braking distance needed for a small car if it can accelerate on par with the more powerful cars. Even here in TBHP, we have captioned Alto-K10 as "pocket-rocket" due to the peppy performance. Seldom would people think about the sudden braking situation when you are driving a K10 and accelerating as fast as a Honda in front.

Here the question is also around the increased probability of crash, more than just the end result of the crash.
Old 3rd November 2014, 23:38   #149
BHPian

Read a comparo between the new K10 and the 1 litre Eon here http://autoportal.com/news/hyundai-e...-car-2362.html

Seems like the new K10 is a way better option given the price and AMT gearbox.
Old 4th November 2014, 01:18   #150
BHPian

In a country reeled with inflation, with majority of the people not in a position to afford a four wheeler and referring to them as mango folks who flock to the showrooms discussing about .0001% lower interest rates is extremely condescending. So according to this logic people should stop riding a two wheeler till they can afford a car in ten years time, cos public transportation is more safer. That .0001% less interest may actually help those so called mango folks put their children in better schools. In a Country where people's monthly earnings are so severely stretched by EMI's, house loans and health care costs, forget stretching a lakh more people cannot even stretch 10k cos that is the margin where majority of the families operate at.

All easy to say oh save a little more and buy a safer car later but don't these people have a right to take their families in a car? Yes safety is paramount and more than the passive features like Air Bags, the crash tests in India must definitely be more stringent. Having said that I am no way defending the manufacturer but when you look at only two manufacturers seeing success in the lowermost segment you can see how hard it is for them to come up with a competent product at the price at which Alto sells at.

yes awareness needs to be more about the importance of safety features but one needs to keep in mind that India is country where majority[not all] of the people who buy the A segment cars are so tight that it would be unfair to blame them totally. As the Indian Economy grows and people become more self sufficient i am sure things will change but in my opinion no one has the right to lecture people that they should continue to use two wheelers to ferry their families till such a time they can afford a car lazed with all the safety features.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 4th November 2014 at 01:21.
needforspeed88 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread