Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2015, 12:34   #331
BANNED

Default re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

I am waiting to see what kind magic our beloved Bawa Ji is going to do on the vehicles in TATA's stable.

Storme, Sumo and the "NEW" 4WD are being worked upon at the moment to become a part of the new refreshed launch from TATA.

TATA can rejoin the main league of sales by re-focusing on the Storme and Sumo and that's where the improvement is required along with TASS.

It's a pity that segment inventors/leaders TATA vehicles have been reduced to such low levels and I blame the attitude of the TATA marketing and execution departments.

I hope the expertise gained from taking over JLR will bring some new lease of life in these products.

I hope this time there are no half hearted efforts by TATA by introducing half baked products to give its products the place they deserve in Indian market.

Storme could be the best SUV with optional 4WD under the 20 Lakhs segment at 50% the cost of a Toyota Fortuner proving at least 80% of what Fortuner is.

Sumo could be the best value for money to take on the rival Bolero.

Aria had not done well, despite pumping in various life support systems, it should be killed and the focus should be turned around on Storme, Sumo and the NEW 4WD.

Taking a cue from Honda, which killed the Accord, Civic and the Jazz in favor of Brio, Amaze and City which became the movers on the sales charts.

Introducing the Diesel engines on these cars and the Mobilio, shows the capacity of the Honda to think what the trends are in terms of market demands and adjust its products according to the demand.

This is what is required by TATA, to kill some products and not keep them flogging to us.

Bawa Ji wave your magic wand.
Parm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 12:54   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Forgive me for saying so - but I think Tata should kill the Safari / Storme. The product is too long in the tooth and any amount of updates will not give it a sales boost.
I second that. Tata should definitely kill off the current gen Safari/Storme. Believe me, I have nothing against the Safari. In fact it's one of the iconic cars of my childhood along with the Sierra. But Tata never really gave Safari the attention it deserved. The product definitely looks dated in today's age. There's a lack of rugged SUVs in the sub 15L price bracket. Scorpio and Safari are the only ones that come to mind. Scorpio has been refreshed. Safari refreshes are just not enough to keep the sales ticking.

Tata has proved what they're capable of with the Bolt/Zest. Why cant they do the same to the Safari? With Land Rover under their wings, I fail to see what is preventing Tata from bringing out an affordable thorough-bred SUV for the Indian masses. By all means, retain the Safari moniker but no more half-hearted attempts please!

On a related note, I seriously hope Tata revives the Sierra as well, maybe a segment under the Safari. Even after decades, on the rare chance of spotting one on the road, it still tugs my heart !!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 16:49   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I disagree. There is a huge void for a good SUV in the 16 Lakhs OTR range. Tata is 80% there with the Safari. With little effort, they can do really increase the sales of the Safari, but with half baked effort they cannot do this.
Wait - Please read my complete post. I am all for Tata keeping the Safari brand name and key styling elements - but they need to get away from just updating the 15+ year old product and come out with a brand new vehicle.

80% there isn't good enough and there are certain drawbacks of the Safari like narrow width / too much height that an update will never be able to address. Also, they wont be able to move the hard points in the design.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:03   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
80% there isn't good enough and there are certain drawbacks of the Safari like narrow width / too much height that an update will never be able to address. Also, they wont be able to move the hard points in the design.
True. Frankly they made a big strategic error. I think Aria was supposed to replace the Safari, and they just wanted Safari to limp along until Aria came. Even the Storme is a half hearted attempt. The problem as I said before is chick on a egg. New platform requires huge investment. Huge Investment requires high sales volume to pay back. Tata obviously doesn't have confidence in the Safari to invest big money.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 20:26   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Aria was supposed to replace the Safari, and they just wanted Safari to limp along until Aria came. Even the Storme is a half hearted attempt. The problem as I said before is chick on a egg. New platform requires huge investment. Huge Investment requires high sales volume to pay back. Tata obviously doesn't have confidence in the Safari to invest big money.
I don't think so. Doesn't make sense to replace a raw proper SUV with a soft crossover that carries 7 people with luggage. These 2 cars are as far apart in segments as possible with same engine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
On a related note, I seriously hope Tata revives the Sierra as well, maybe a segment under the Safari. Even after decades, on the rare chance of spotting one on the road, it still tugs my heart !!
How true is that! Even the mention of the Sierra tugs my heart...
Old 10th January 2015, 21:59   #336
BANNED

Safari/Storme needs to be offered as a VFM vehicle in comparison with Scorpio.

And for that to happen, the price needs to be dropped and features needs to be added.

Lets keep in mind that the Storme will always be compared to a Scorpio and not the Endeavor or Fortuner, hence the customer needs to see it a VFM SUV and not a over bloated product.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 22:28   #337
BHPian

They truly need to bring the prices down at par with scorpio, while loading it with features and providing a competent ASS support. Storme still has the potential to pull the chords of our hearts. Just that most of them are too scared to go the TATA way.
Old 10th January 2015, 23:07   #338
BANNED

TATA has the brand name and the following.
TATA has the expertise to build quality vehicles.
TATA has the products used and liked by users.
TATA has the people who can build vehicles.

All TATA needs at the moment is to make the damn company work as a system, right from the correct build quality to the TASS.

NOTE: Sometimes its the MBAs in the AC offices which mess up a good product by getting the policies and prices WRONG!

I know I will end up buying a MM product despite TATA being my favorite of the two.
Old 10th January 2015, 23:28   #339

Took a test drive of the current storme as we are in the market for a cheffeur driven car for my parents. Inspite of the dated interiors, the generous space in the rear seat, the seating position and the awesome ride quality blew us away. Also had a look at the Zest XT, the quality of which is really the best yet from Tata. I wonder if Tata can put similar quality and equipment on the interiors in the updated Storme, it still has the potential to attract buyers to showrooms.
lemans is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 21:50   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I have been told by the sales manager that he will share details of features per variant by end of this week.I will share them as soon as I have them.
Quote:
I had recieved a call from Concorde motors stating that new storme would be released in January 2014 and if i would like to pre-book it now. I am not sure if it was an attempt to increase the booking numbers due to year end.
Hi S5157,

Now that we are in the midddle of Feb, I hope you have taken deliver of the *new Storme* by now. Can you please share with us the improvements Tata has incorporated into the new Storme.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 23:20   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Hi S5157,

Now that we are in the midddle of Feb, I hope you have taken deliver of the *new Storme* by now. Can you please share with us the improvements Tata has incorporated into the new Storme.
I like that..Now the sales manager does not take my calls..I might be only customer who is behind tata sales to buy a car.
S5157 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 08:37   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I like that..Now the sales manager does not take my calls..I might be only customer who is behind tata sales to buy a car.
I can understand your situation mate, sales guy does not know what he was talking in January first week
I am hearing that TML is working on completely revamped Safari, as they feel that effort they put for storme is not sufficient to regain the lost glory. I should post once I get concrete details.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 11:29   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
The launch date according to them was March or April. Hence I skeptical of the Jan news going around on this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
I am hearing that TML is working on completely revamped Safari, as they feel that effort they put for storme is not sufficient to regain the lost glory. I should post once I get concrete details.
@xbox360 & @hillsnrains please let us know if you have any concrete information.

Quote:
I don't blame your bro. I actually like the Safari and the Arai, but Tata really needs to put reall effort into these products. The new zest and bolt are well thought out products. I don't understand why they will not put even half the effort into the Safari & Aria. Last time I test drove the Aria, there was no place to even keep a phone in the center console. What is the point in having all gizmos, if you have not thought of a place for driver to keep his phone

I sold my Ford Endeavour 4x4 and picked up a Duster 4x4. I am still in the market for a 7 seater SUV and narrowed down to Storme or Aria provided they do some interior updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Old 10th February 2015, 12:31   #344
Senior - BHPian

Tata has great potential in their current lineup but still they are not doing well. All blame is to go to their pathetic marketing. They hardly try to sell their vehicles, interested people only buy one for them themselves. Sad but true.

Coming back to Safari Storme, its a damn good vehicle mechanically but lacks in modern feel from inside out. On exterior there is hardly anything changed. On interiors as well they have not done anything great. It still feels decade old, sad but true again. No where it feels modern 15 Lacs SUV. If Tata really interested in Safari they should take help from their own JLR and make Safari a better, modern inside out. Then only it will sell if get help from their marketing department as well.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 06:05   #345
BHPian

Someone from Pune found and posted this - was ex with all black dashboard. Steering from zest and central console covered i.e integrated system coming
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-image.jpg  

Last edited by rajismine : 17th February 2015 at 06:07.
rajismine is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread