Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2015, 16:11   #901
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

I visited the Tata Motors showroom nearby a few days back, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a thank you note by post, signed by the GM of the showroom, with his number too.

The only downer is that they dont have a demo vehicle of the latest update. I had to contend with driving the old Storme...

When the SR called I told him I am not happy about that , and he expressed his helplessness, apart from trying to tell me that "there isnt much of a difference in driving experience in any case".

A bit later he offered me to see if I can drive the display car, to which I said I dont want to do that, as it doesnt seem ethical to me ( as it might quite likely be sold to someone soon.. )
Bigzero is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 17:51   #902
BHPian

I guess that should be OK, as its a Display car and dealers are supposed to auction display cars too just like the demo cars. It should not be a delivery car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A bit later he offered me to see if I can drive the display car, to which I said I dont want to do that, as it doesnt seem ethical to me ( as it might quite likely be sold to someone soon.. )
Old 12th June 2015, 18:08   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Here in delhi I checked with a few dealers and they affirmed that I could sell my car outside and still claim 70 percent(not an official figure)of the exchange bonus. They only needed to put in the registration details of my car into their system.

What the dealer is going to do is that he will sumbit the details of your existing car as the one being exchanged by them and claim the exchange bonus from TATA. Out of that exchange bonus he will pass over a part to you and pocket the rest. Period.
luvtandon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 18:22   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
What the dealer is going to do is that he will sumbit the details of your existing car as the one being exchanged by them and claim the exchange bonus from TATA. Out of that exchange bonus he will pass over a part to you and pocket the rest. Period.
I also concluded that. But my confusion was how would they show the paperwork for the car being bought and wouldn't they need to have the car in flesh? Shows a sloppy paperwork at the back end.
Old 12th June 2015, 20:52   #905
BHPian

Quote:
I also concluded that. But my confusion was how would they show the paperwork for the car being bought and wouldn't they need to have the car in flesh? Shows a sloppy paperwork at the back end.
Many a times they ask for your vehicles transfer papers which they submit as the required documentation to prove that they have exchanged and sold the vehicle.
Old 12th June 2015, 22:33   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Many a times they ask for your vehicles transfer papers which they submit as the required documentation to prove that they have exchanged and sold the vehicle.
Don't want to drag this OT but won't the transfer papers have the name of the actual transferee and not the dealers name on it? How can they submit the same paper to prove that the car indeed has been taken by them?
Old 12th June 2015, 23:55   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Don't want to drag this OT but won't the transfer papers have the name of the actual transferee and not the dealers name on it? How can they submit the same paper to prove that the car indeed has been taken by them?
The right way for TML to do this would be to give loyalty discount to a customer if he already owns a Tata Safari. Whether he exchanges it with the dealer, sells it on his own, keeps it or puts it on fire should be entirely up to the owner.

This is the way Mahindra is doing it. My friend owned a Scorpio and went for an XUV500 in April this year. They gave him a loyalty discount apart from other offers and he later sold the Scorpio on his own.

I seriously can't believe dealers are stooping down to these tactics which could put off many potential repeat customers, considering the already dismal sales numbers of Safari. Since the TML way is encouraging this behavior off dealers, they need to rethink the exchange bonus and move to loyalty discount instead. But I'm sure no ones listening.

Last edited by param22k : 12th June 2015 at 23:56.
Old 13th June 2015, 11:04   #908

Hi guys

A quick one week update on my Storme. I said earlier the engine is coarse and there are vibrations, but I stand corrected, it's actually quite smooth and the vibrations are also minimal, except that shudder when you turn the ignition off. A couple of rattles though. One from the rear AC intake grill, its a little loose and has to be tightened I guess. Also, there is a hissing noise as well from the rear AC every 5-10 mins. Is that normal? Then there is this ringing noise from the gear assembly that comes when I speed up a little. It's not a rattle but a noise nevertheless. Will get it checked when I go for the first check up.

I've only driven him* on my daily drive to work in the crazy Delhi Gurgaon peak hour traffic so haven't really got a chance to experience the cruiser in him. I've done close to 500 KM till now, but that will change next week. Details on that later.

The experience from the inside has been great so far. As I said in my earlier post, the music system sounds great and the bluetooth connectivity also works fine, apart from a couple of occasions when it decided to go mute and I had to pick up the phone and talk. One irritant here though, when I'm playing music from any source and a message comes on my phone, it pauses and a lady with a weird Indian accent starts telling me there's a message and if I want her to read it. Is there a way I can turn this off? Also, I can't seem to toggle to the outside temperature mode on the oh-so-tiny tripmeter display. How to do that?

The seat cushioning is good but I think there's a tiny bit less thigh support than I would've liked. I've settled into a comfortable driving position and have faced no issues of my knee rubbing against the center console yet. But I haven't driven him for long hours yet either. So will see how the long drive goes. The maneuvering is a breeze and I've never felt that it's too big to maneuver. Parallel parking - walk in the park, U-turns - easy peasy, driving in bumper to bumper traffic - no problem! The steering is definitely heavy and it makes you work hard for sure! But I'm sure it'll be a boon on the highway.

Then there are these nice little thoughtful touches that Tata cars always have. I really like the fact that pressing the unlock button on the key once only unlocks the driver side door, it's a thoughtful feature IMO. Talking about the flip key, boy is it heavy duty! It really is built to last and can be used to knock someone out! Then I like how the volume is turned down when you engage reverse gear. And I just love the white cabin lighting. They all light up the cabin when the ignition is switched off and it's like a room lit up with CFL. I can go on and on but will reserve some for later!

Lastly, wanted to ask the veterans a couple of things. Firstly, the SA said it doesn't need 1000 KM check up and you should go for a check up only if you're facing an issue. What do you suggest? I anyway have to get these couple of issues checked so I might as well go ahead and get this done right? Which brings me to my second question, I intend to go to the hills for 4-5 days next week and this will be a 1000-1200 KM trip for sure. What are the precautions I need to take? I was advised by Storme_on_the_way that I should keep the engine below 2000 RPM which I'm following religiously and it surely is helping him run in fantastically! So thanks for that advice buddy! Other things I need to take care of? And of course this will be my first time taking a car of this size to the hills so driving tips will also help!

Will post some pics soon..hopefully with the beautiful backdrop of Himachal hills!!

* - I have decided to refer to my Storme as him, "it" and "she" don't do him justice! This one is surely a man!

Cheers!
Familyguy
Familyguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 13:01   #909
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is going off topic but still the response.
While exchanging a car the dealers do not get it transferred on their name, they just get the transfer papers signed from the seller and get the vehicle registered on the name of the buyer on the same documents as and when the sale occurs.
I think this is enough for the manufacturer to release the claim. Rest others can comment on.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:54   #910
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is going off topic but still the response.
While exchanging a car the dealers do not get it transferred on their name, they just get the transfer papers signed from the seller and get the vehicle registered on the name of the buyer on the same documents as and when the sale occurs.
I think this is enough for the manufacturer to release the claim. Rest others can comment on.
If thats the way it works, it totally makes sense, however unethical. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:19   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
There is a sales executive by the name of Devender at Aristo Motors Gurgaon, my colleagues have had a great experience while dealing with him. Why don't you call him at +91 96-43-200071
He knows about Team BHP and understands our quirks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sumithb and Sourabhzen - thanks for the information guys!
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Thamk you Maglev! Devender has changed job and this number is given to one Mr. Inderjeet. I don't know how but today morning my wife came and said that we shall go for a Storme Test drive. Without wasting a second, I called this number at 10:15 AM and a new Storme was at my doorstep at 11:00. (Inderjeet never heard about Team BHP but was still very enthusiastic about selling a Storme)

The short test drive included smooth road and a bit of big potholed road. Storme took all very comfortably without transferring much of the jerks inside. I will not speak much on ride, handling etc. as enough is already said about it. I was all smiles after the test drive.

After this I decided to check on XUV 500 too. The sales person requested me to come down to showroom as they are not allowed a doorstep test drive on weekends. We reached there in no time and test drove all new W10. This vehicle has every thing one can ask for. Key less entry, start stop button, sun roof, awesome dials, leather seats, six airbags and thousands of other feature which will take a lifetime to remember. It has everything except a character of a SUV. It is simply a big car, much bigger than my Swift, but still it is a car.

I took it at same places where I took the Storme. XUV is no where near Storme in tackling the pot holes and bumps. I would take XUV only if I want a larger car for a family of 6 but not if want a SUV.

These test drives helped in improving the image of Storme in front of wife. Now, a little more persuasion, and I may convince her fully.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 13th June 2015 at 17:22.
sourabhzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 20:37   #912
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Do NOT post biased / misleading / fanboy messages. This is your FINAL warning.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2015 at 14:38.
varunanb is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2015, 21:08   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
The right way for TML to do this would be to give loyalty discount to a customer if he already owns a Tata Safari.
+ 1 to this.
If only it was there, i might have well been on my way to be driving yet another Safari, albeit a Storme by now. Unfortunately, the price offerred for my 4 year GX was so shameful, and besides that, the response time or even their interest to sell me a Storme was so utterly disappointing.

I dont say this is the main reason for me to move to an Innova, but then, i did make attempts to buy a Storme, but i now drive an Innova instead.

Doesnt mean i dont like the Safari - had driven two of them, 8 years in total, and still miss it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 10:10   #914
BHPian

I think my Storme vs XUV confusion is now reaching some sort of a difficult phase now.

As I had mentioned earlier, my heart is right there with the Storme. My wife wasnt impressed at that point. She wanted the XUV.

I had thought that I had covered all aspects of Storme and XUV in my "analysis"... Then I realised that I have been missing an important factor - my kids. I have three kids, and the two juniors are 7 and 9 years. 80% of our travels are shortish ( less than 100 km ) drives in and around the city and outskirts. Thats been the pattern over the last 13 years of car ownership. 20% are long drives which happen something once or twice a year - add to it some 3-4 trips to Mumbai in a year.

Kids opinion is important to me as they occupy the back seat and their lack of comfort and boredom can be a significant factor. The second row is now full, with Kids jostling for their preferred seat, elbowing each other, and getting into fisticuffs once in a while! Of course for long drive this ceases to be a factor because I can see that the third row will be folded up for luggage. But for like 80% of the time, they are likely to be in the last row of the car.

So I realised that unless and until I have a workable third row where the two juniors could have a space of their own, I am not going to have a significant improvement in my experience.

With this idea in mind, I went to another round of test drives on the Storme and XUV yesterday.

Kids were made to sit in the last row for both drives. They were very excited to get into the jump seats in the Storme as it was nothing less of an adventure in itself, with the effort required to "climb" in. But once in, the experience of being in jump seats ( you are somewhat cut of from the rest of the car ) and the fact that the roof AC was not really doing justice to the third row seemed to be a downer for them. I could sense that they were a bit restless after the 15 minute test drive.

But they were blown away by what the XUV offered. Nice cushy seats (for their size), AC vents and controls of their own, and a place to themselves and at the same time, still being able to be part of the larger population in the car.

Their verdict was clearly in favour of XUV ( I am also not ruling out the fact that the gizmos on offer were some sort of a supporting factor too ).

I got a sense now that for most of my trips, If I push the kids to the last row ( I have my mother with me sometimes too, so then the last row becomes an absolute necessity ), XUV may keep my kids happier.

Well thats a big negative mark for Storme now.. I like the XUV and feel its a very decent effort from an Indian manufacturer - and one just cant ignore the six airbags on offer too. - But the Storme really pulls my heartstrings..

The most interesting part now is that my wife , who has been sitting in the second row for both test drive, and who has been supporting XUV till yesterday, suddenly became a fan of the Storme... The ride quality and the feel of the second seat in the Storme turned things around for her.

Things have now reached an interesting point indeed!

15 Lacs vs 17 Lacs ( or 18 Lacs depending on trim)...

The importance of last row for me..

SUV vs a car/MUV on stilts

Black vs Beige

...... Tough times ahead...

Last edited by Bigzero : 14th June 2015 at 10:16.
Bigzero is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 11:59   #915
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post

Things have now reached an interesting point indeed!

15 Lacs vs 17 Lacs ( or 18 Lacs depending on trim)...

The importance of last row for me..

SUV vs a car/MUV on stilts

Black vs Beige

...... Tough times ahead...
May I offer you a suggestion? Please go back and consider a test drive of the highest end Aria, before you commit for the XUV, especially since the only reason you seem swaying for the Mahindra is the last row of seats. Take the test drive with your full family and the kids in the last row, and then decide. IMO the Aria can do all what the Storme does, has slightly better interiors, more gizmos and has higher power. If the MUV shape doesn't bother you much the Aria is the way to go...
Also one important factor, even with all 3 rows available the Aria has significant luggage space, very important for your long drives, impossible in the XUV...

Last edited by apachelongbow : 14th June 2015 at 12:26.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread