Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2014, 09:17   #136
BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
My God. Ground clearance is awful, forget any offroading, crossing normal speed breakers will be a big challenge in this thing. Design looks so uninspiring too.
The S-Cross UK version comes with 17 Inchers and the Indianized version may well come with 16 inchers. And when it comes to Ground Clearance, manufacturers have always been very exuberant in increasing the Ground Clearance due to our terrific road conditions

The UK version has 165 mm so IMO, I expect it to be in the lines of 175-180 mm.

But I second your opinion on the design. It has always been either insipidly un-inspiring or explicitly inspiring

Last edited by karzzexped : 16th December 2014 at 09:18.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:16   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
"16 inchers" is rim diameter isnt it ?

We can use this link
http://www.laneks.lv/en/tyre-calculator/
to get outer dia of the tyre with some aspect ratio assumption.
My bad Still dont know what was running in my mind late at night. Yes those are rim diameters. Assuming the tyres are 205/60/R16, it will add four inches to overall dia. For that tyre combi, the overall diameter is 650mm. Again we can safely assume that the GC is going to be quite good at least in the side. Not sure about the underside if something pops out but thats usually not the case.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:28   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Generally, if larger rims are used the aspects ratio is a reduced. For example the 15, 16 and 17 inch rims and tyres used have the same outer diameter . if tyres are used to change GC, a whole lot of other changes have to be done, including recalibration of fuel pump, speedo, gearing, etc
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 20:46   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzzexped View Post

The S-Cross UK version comes with 17 Inchers and the Indianized version may well come with 16 inchers. And when it comes to Ground Clearance, manufacturers have always been very exuberant in increasing the Ground Clearance due to our terrific road conditions

The UK version has 165 mm so IMO, I expect it to be in the lines of 175-180 mm.

But I second your opinion on the design. It has always been either insipidly un-inspiring or explicitly inspiring
Actually its not just GC on paper but the real life GC matters too. I mean Scorpio on paper has just 175-180mm of GC but that doesnt mean S Cross is going to be better than Scorpio. Lets see only the production version will tell the real story, but I think S Cross will turn out to be a dud specially if Maruti price it north of 10 lakhs.
Old 17th December 2014, 08:22   #140
BHPian

Here are the updates/confirmations from authentic resources
- Launch may be in April/May
- No petrol engine option
- 1.6 Diesel is only in offing
- Slew of equipment like ESP,push button start, rev camera....
- Dimensions(units mm): Length=4300, Width=1765, Height=1580, Wheelbase=2600mm (give and take 10-15mm may be possible)

Thanks zenren for providing me comparisons.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 17th December 2014 at 08:49. Reason: corrected width dimension
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 08:43   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
- Dimensions(units mm): Length=4300, Width=1535, Height=1580, Wheelbase=2600mm (give and take 10-15mm may be possible)

Width is a big disappointment for me, which is less than Ecosport by good margin of 200+mm(i.e 1535mm vs 1765mm). This will make the vehicle very congested, especially rear seat. I sincerely hope I am wrong here.
Width figure is a typo for sure. Even the Celerio is 1600mm wide. There is no way S-Cross is going to be narrower than Celerio. Also, current SX4 is 1755 mm wide. We can expect something in 1700-1800 range.

EDIT:
Width is 1765mm. Complete details are available in the Suzuki global site, along with pictures of the international version that comes in 1.6L petrol and diesel engines:

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobi...p/sx4_s-cross/

Last edited by zenren : 17th December 2014 at 08:49.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 09:07   #142
BHPian

A little birdie tells me that the S-Cross may come to India by End-January 2015 or February 2015
  • Car "may" get 1.3 DDiS for the Lower Variants
  • 1.6 L engine may be offered only in the top spec.
  • 1.4 K-Series Petrol in the offing - contrary to reports.
  • Suzuki ALLGRIP may be accomodated to rival the AWD Duster.
karzzexped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 11:27   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
if tyres are used to change GC, a whole lot of other changes have to be done, including recalibration of fuel pump, speedo, gearing, etc
Pardon me for being niave here but why should fuel pump & gearing need recalibration.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:24   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Pardon me for being niave here but why should fuel pump & gearing need recalibration.
Manufacturers tune the fueling/gearing to meet specific power figures and emission norms. If you change tyre OD without changing gearing and fuelling, it will give different readings especially with emission norms.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 17:34   #145
BHPian

Folks, here is the latest news on likely launch of S Cross. Guess what the latest timeline is, 2015 January end.
Too good to be true. Here is the link for more details.
Courtesy:www.motorbeam.com
Old 20th December 2014, 17:44   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would they need more time? The testing has been going on from quite a while and they have built prototypes too for Indian market(read as extra chrome and so). The only thing left is the mystery behind the engine. Have they been producing the 1.6L in house or is Fiat going to supply it or the quick launch is because the car might get the same old 1.3L. I see that a few 1.6JTD engines are imported from Italy, 11 to be precise. Not sure if they will initially import these engines.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th December 2014 at 18:10.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:28   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmed that there are three engine options. The 1.4L K-series (), the 90BHP multijet() and a new engine that is above 1500cc. The prototypes have been sent to Japan and Italy for evaluation and the fact that one variant falls under a different export code(meant for cars with >1500cc engines) tells us that it is a 1.6L MJD from Fiat.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-scross.jpg

Source - zauba.com
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 12:28   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Confirmed that there are three engine options. The 1.4L K-series (), the 90BHP multijet() and a new engine that is above 1500cc. The prototypes have been sent to Japan and Italy for evaluation and the fact that one variant falls under a different export code(meant for cars with >1500cc engines) tells us that it is a 1.6L MJD from Fiat.

Attachment 1320534

Source - zauba.com
Isn't that good news? The lower variants could do with the 90hp diesel. Since the 2WD versions have kerb weights similar to the Punto, performance should be similar - comparable with the Ecosport diesel. And the higher variants could do with the 1.6 diesel taking the fight to the Renault.

The petrol 1.4 seems out of place- but Maruti knows it's target customers. A 1.6 petrol from their stable will only be labelled as a petrol-guzzler while the 1.4 might actually sell- as seen in the Ciaz.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 12:39   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't that good news? The lower variants could do with the 90hp diesel. Since the 2WD versions have kerb weights similar to the Punto, performance should be similar - comparable with the Ecosport diesel. And the higher variants could do with the 1.6 diesel taking the fight to the Renault.

The petrol 1.4 seems out of place- but Maruti knows it's target customers. A 1.6 petrol from their stable will only be labelled as a petrol-guzzler while the 1.4 might actually sell- as seen in the Ciaz.

Yes I do agree on the economic front that a smaller diesel for the lower end variant will be okay for a good entry pricing. But on the performance part thus will affect the car since the heavier the car gets, the more significant the turbi lag etc are shown. Since the Ciaz is ultra light weight for a sedan, the turbo lag isn't felt. But the heavier S-cross will not impress on the performance front. Generally speaking, MSIL should give a break to plonking the same engine everywhere

Petrol engine will be disappointment for sure. It is horrible in the Ciaz itself, so cant expect anything from the S-Cross. My only hopes are on the 1.6L. Given it comes with some good kit, other than the usual Maruti features, we shall buy it straight away. At least some features should be added above the Ciaz like cruise control, more airbags and ESP. Price isn't a concern if safety and kit is good.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 13:59   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Attachment 1320534

Source - zauba.com

Why is the 1.6L so horribly priced?? Is it for some other market?? With this kind of pricing, I doubt MSIL will launch it here.. Or am I missing something??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread