Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2015, 08:08   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
Sorry peoples, this is more or less confirmed news. The S Cross or whatever MS is going to call it is only going to arrive in Diesel Avatar. No immediate plans for petrol engine it seems.
Hey, can you please give the source for this news?! I am not sure if Maruti Suzuki would do that.

Thanks.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 08:18   #182
BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
- Launch may be in April/May
- No petrol engine option
- 1.6 Diesel is only in offing
This is part of my own post on 17/12/2014.
First two points are valid even Today. However there is a small correction to third point: In addition to 1.6L Diesel motor, there is 1.3L Multijet also on offer.
As we all know the Maruti target customers, in order keep the price in check they may not launch "AllGrip" 4WD in India. It seems their memory is very fresh with what happened to their flagship model Kizashi. They may see the initial response after the launch and then will decide on future line-up like offerings in Petrol, 4WD etc.

Quote:
Sorry peoples, this is more or less confirmed news. The S Cross or whatever MS is going to call it is only going to arrive in Diesel Avatar. No immediate plans for petrol engine it seems.
+1
Even I am also getting same info from my pals in MSIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
I hope S cross will have a 6 speed manual option mated with a more toquey 1.6L MJD. For highway cruises it would give more mileage at lesser RPM and hence lesser engine noise .
1.6L engine will come with 6 speed gearbox for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hey, can you please give the source for this news?! I am not sure if Maruti Suzuki would do that.

Thanks.
Yes Anurag it is hard to believe, that there is no Petrol motor from Maruti.
They might have decided this based on the target competition/customers. I think Duster/Terrano/Ecosport Diesels are doing well than their petrol counterparts. Other reason may be that they want to minimize the loss if the Kizashi story repeats with S-Cross.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 12th January 2015 at 08:26. Reason: added source of info
hillsnrains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 08:29   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
+1
Even I am also getting same info from my pals in MSIL
Thanks for the info.
From your 'pals at MSIL' will the 1.6L diesel be from Peugeot or Fiat? or will there be the 1.5 MJD in S cross?
Old 12th January 2015, 08:43   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thanks for the info.
From your 'pals at MSIL' will the 1.6L diesel be from Peugeot or Fiat? or will there be the 1.5 MJD in S cross?
To be frank I don't know but will try if I can get answer for your question, i.e Peugoet or FIAT engine.
At least launch will not be with 1.5 MJD because it is still under development phase.
Old 12th January 2015, 08:55   #185
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
They might have decided this based on the target competition/customers. I think Duster/Terrano/Ecosport Diesels are doing well than their petrol counterparts.
If this turns out to be the case, as it increasingly looks like it will, then it's a bit disappointing. It's true that the diesel engines on the Duster/Terrano and EcoSport outsell the petrol ones by a large margin, but at least they provide the option. The EcoSport even offers two petrol motors with a dual clutch autobox option on the 1.5 TiVCT engine. On the other hand, this would turn out to be the first product from Maruti Suzuki without a petrol option!

The fuel price difference has considerably narrowed down now. For those with a low average daily/monthly usage, it makes little economic sense to pay upwards of 1 to 1.5 lac rupees extra (on-road prices) upfront on a diesel motor.

Another plus of having a petrol engine in the line up is that it gives them the advantage of being able to attract more customers to the showroom by advertising a much lower starting price.

Last edited by RSR : 12th January 2015 at 09:00.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:52   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are excerpts from the interview ( Aug -2014)of the chairman of MSIL on the SUV/CUV's launch.

Quote:
"We will be present in SUV segment in few months from now, a model which will be competing with Duster in that size. It has to be something which can compete with the Duster, and in 2016 we will have a compact SUV under 4 meter, so that it gets benefit of lower excise duty and which will be in the same segment as Ford EcoSport," Bhargava said.

Both the SUVs will be available in petrol, diesel and CNG options
IMO, Maruti will launch the S Cross in both petrol and diesel varaints more so now considering the gap between the two is narrowing!

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2800279_1.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th January 2015 at 09:54.
Old 12th January 2015, 10:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
In May 2014, I was told by a knowledgeable source who had just test-driven the S-Cross in Europe that the diesel is 1.6 MJD from Fiat. The same source was emphatic at that time that the Ciaz would only come with the 1.3 MJD, and that turned out to be correct.
Old 12th January 2015, 23:34   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Thanks.
I should not be revealing the exact source on a public forum. However, suppliers of Maruti do know a lot about the car. My guess is a petrol version, if made, would only be export oriented, at least initially. If petrol prices hold at current level, maybe they will rethink.
Additionally, there was never a Peugeot engine in consideration. It was always Fiat 1.6 MJD / 1.3 MJD alike Duster.

In fact S Cross was the car and the 1.6 MJD was the engine which led to the Suzuki- VW split.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th January 2015 at 00:08. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Carophilic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 23:50   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I should not be revealing the exact source on a public forum. However, suppliers of Maruti do know a lot about the car.
Ah, thanks for the clarity. Had you mentioned that the news you posted was from secret sources, I wouldn't have asked you the source.

Hopefully the S-Cross comes soon and comes with a 1.6L engine.
Old 29th January 2015, 09:53   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to launch its First CUV - S Cross in May 2015.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-car-23.html (Marutiís plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?)
Old 30th January 2015, 08:45   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross Automatic diesel due later this year in Europe.

Is the extensive testing seen in India is due to this variant? Time frame speculated shows we could get the Diesel automatic in India too.

Quote:
It’s likely to adopt a new automated manual system rather than a conventional torque converter.

If the AGS ‘box in the new Celerio city car is anything to go by, we can expect little to no fuel economy penalties
Old 13th February 2015, 08:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki SX4 S-Cross Automatic diesel due later this year in Europe.

Is the extensive testing seen in India is due to this variant? Time frame speculated shows we could get the Diesel automatic in India too.

Maruti is not going to launch diesel AMT in India immediately. This is the info i am getting from reliable sources. Suzuki Allgrip 4WD is also doubtful for India due to price constraints.

It looks like Kizashi memories are still hunting Maruti, hence want to test the waters before going out with all guns (multiple variants with petrol & diesel). May be because of this they are only launching Diesel MT and based on the response they may add more variants.
I still hope S cross comes with 4WD, because prime competitors like Duster/ix25 are already having/coming with 4WD.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:37   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross in China to get 1.4 turbocharged Petrol engine.

It is likely that the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine on the S-Cross will be the 1.4-liter K14B engine with a turbocharger that currently powers Ertiga/Ciaz.

It would be great if this engine will come to India and Maruti could have the next product upgrades?

Quote:
According to the latest news, Changan Suzuki soon as the car is powered by a 1.4T engine. But now a new car manufacturers still have not released information on specific power, domestic media have speculated that this 1.4T engine's maximum power or will reach 136 hp and peak torque of 220 Nm. Transmission, the engine will match or CVT gearbox. In addition, the new car will be powered by a four-wheel drive system.
http://www.autohome.com.cn/news/201502/861957.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th February 2015 at 12:42.
Old 25th February 2015, 12:43   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti may not be able to use the name 'S Cross' tag as an objection has been raised by the registration department mentioning that a similar name has been registered by an auto ancillary.

Maruti may consider to ' Across' or 'Crossa', both of which have been registered by Suzuki.
Name:  BqyE9mXEAEx4Ho.jpg
Views: 13609
Size:  25.1 KB

https://twitter.com/MotorOctane/stat...64101194993664
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 15:17   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti may not be able to use the name 'S Cross' tag as an objection has been raised by the registration department mentioning that a similar name has been registered by an auto ancillary.

Maruti may consider to ' Across' or 'Crossa', both of which have been registered by Suzuki.

After so much hype etc generated by the yet to come 'S-Cross', the registration department is asking for a name change!

Why didn't Maruti come across this issue initially when they were trying to name this car something?! Hopefully they name it sensibly now.
Closed Thread