Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2015, 19:10   #241
BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Well said!

The 2014 Ford Fiesta has a GC of 156 mm and the body is very low slung. Yeah, paltry when you consider the latest fad of keeping the body shell as high as possible off the ground irrespective of whether its a hatchback, sedan or crossover. But I can assure you that in the 2 months that we have been in the car and over the 4000 KM done, it hasn't touched anywhere. And its not like the car has only been on road, we have covered some bad bits of road, climbed some ruts, crawled in first gear with the car loaded with people and luggage and still no, the underbody doesn't touch anywhere.

So, GC is really a function of the how the low lying parts are arranged in the underbody and the travel of suspension. 165 mm may look bad on paper. But for all you know, it may be more than enough.
Well said, I have a GTX which has 165mm of GC and I've done a fair bit of travelling and decent off-roading, never had problems of scrapping or anything of that sort even with 5-6 guys in the car.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:35   #242
Senior - BHPian

Well, I got someone at office speak to the marketing folks at Maruti. As per what this gentleman could/would divulge, the Across is scheduled for a Q2 launch. What he did not specify is whether it is Q2 of the calendar year or the fiscal year.

With the Strome launch imminent in April/ early May and the Hyundai IX25 scheduled for August, Maruti Suzuki would not want to wait too long. Hyundai has launched the Elantra facelift today and the XUV facelift ( + new Mahindra CUV/ SUV launches are also scheduled for the current year). The action in Motown is surely hotting up. There is a fair bit of cross shopping which happens in the vehicles priced in the same price range. MSIL will lose mindshare and thus sales if they delay the launch too much. Moreover, they are in the process of setting up separate dealerships for their premium offerings and they currently have only the Ciaz which could find a place in these dealerships.
Old 21st April 2015, 19:10   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki S-Cross (nee Across) on display at the Auto Shanghai 2015 show.

The interiors look rich and premium, the rear seat space ample and bolstered, and the boot space is huge.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossfrontthreequarteratautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossrearthreequarterviewatautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossdashboardatautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossinterioratautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossrearviewatautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukisx4scrossbootspaceatautoshanghai2015900x596.jpg

SOURCE - IAB
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:16   #244
BHPian

Jeremey Clarkson at his hilarious best!

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...s-allgrip-sz5/
rednikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 17:29   #245
BHPian

Now here is the latest news!

If this is true, ACross is going to come with 1.3 diesel and 1.4 petrol...!!!

1.6 MJD doubtful ???!!!

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/maruti...june-2015/6405
Old 27th April 2015, 17:52   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

I swear, that if this is another car from Maruti coming with the 1.3L MJD and the K series, I am not going to buy another car from them in the future. Going by the prototypes, there are two diesel engines on offer. But if that doesn't come to production, it's bye bye MSIL from my side.

The Ciaz itself is a compromise with respect to the engines, and the S cross or Across will be a bigger compromise given the car is going to be bigger and heavier.
audioholic is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 20:26   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

The just released S Cross( Top Variant) for Brazilian market reviewed. Expect similarity with the Indian version in design.

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 22:05   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Now here is the latest news!

If this is true, ACross is going to come with 1.3 diesel and 1.4 petrol...!!!

1.6 MJD doubtful ???!!!

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/maruti...june-2015/6405
Hope this is not true. They cannot use the same engine for every segment. It seems to be a good vehicle in every other respect (shape, size, rear space, boot etc).
Old 27th April 2015, 22:21   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The just released S Cross( Top Variant) for Brazilian market reviewed. Expect similarity with the Indian version in design.

Unfortunately, the Indian version will get most of the bits stripped out starting right from the engine. The nice instrument cluster found in this video will be replaced by something similar to the Ciaz. The multidot MFD in this will be replaced by the old school 7 segment display found in the other cars.

Heck the MFD also changes colour in the Brazilian version but ours will be white only. If I have to believe the news that the 1.6L diesel isnt coming, then so wont the all wheel drive. The touchscreen head unit will be replaced by the smartplay system found in the Ciaz. People may think I am speculating heavily, but I believe I have enough experience with Maruti Suzuki and their 'Indianised' cars that we get here.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 22:48   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I swear, that if this is another car from Maruti coming with the 1.3L MJD and the K series, I am not going to buy another car from them in the future. Going by the prototypes, there are two diesel engines on offer. But if that doesn't come to production, it's bye bye MSIL from my side.
Bingo! I swore already the moment they said that the 1.6L MJD may or may not come.

I am sick and tired of Maruti which is milking that 1.3MJD in all cars in its portfolio irrespective is its size/dimensions. There is no sense regarding which engine needs to be plonked into which car for best balance in power and FE.

All Maruti is doing is concentrating on FE.

Hope there is a choice to the customer to select the engines.
Old 28th April 2015, 00:30   #251
BHPian

Whatever engine maruti puts in the new car, it will sell. People are always attracted to maruti cars no matter what.
Also a competitor for duster, it will be a hot selling vehicle which is likely to give more mileage than the duster.
Mass market does not care about engine and power.
I won't be surprised with the 1.3 mjd as I had already indicated this launch, confirmed by an msil executive.
However it was also mentioned that 1.6 mjd will also ne launched later.
Old 28th April 2015, 07:00   #252
BANNED

As per my friends at Maruti who have seen the S Cross ( as per them the badge is S Cross), it carries all the goodies of international version sans AWD. Also, as we know, the front grille is updated for India with oodles of chrome. Of course, in true Maruti style, we would have L, V ,Z & Z+ grades probably with features distributed accordingly. Both 1.3 & 1.6 MJD would be avl. The later would result in solid cost increments as the entire power train is imported.Hope this dispels some fears. Almost certainly, there would be no petrol versions at launch.
Old 28th April 2015, 08:27   #253
BHPian

The Renault 1.5 unit has been used in Micra, Pulse, Sunny, Scala, Lodgy, Duster, Terrano, Fluence. All cars from varied segments including luxury. In comparison, Maruti at present has the 1.3 MJD in Ritz, Swift, Dzire, Ertiga and Ciaz (have I missed something).

And this is from a company which manufactures engines in house or holds rights to it unlike Maruti who depend on Fiat for their diesels.

Hope people who scorn at Maruti installing the same 1.3 MJD in all their cars, can pour it on Renault as well.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 28th April 2015 at 08:31.
Old 28th April 2015, 08:44   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Hope people who scorn at Maruti installing the same 1.3 MJD in all their cars, can pour it on Renault as well.
Off topic:

But then there is a big variation in state of tune. I think 63 to 108 across the product range. However, even I dont approve the same engine ending in a D-segment sedan (Fluence).

Coming back to topic:

As per my thoughts, one point of view was they would release both 1.3 and 1.6. The 1.3 on the lower versions, would get them on to the lower price point and hence to compete with others while the 1.6 higher trims will have performance related aspects taken care off. But only time will tell as to what they come with.
Old 28th April 2015, 08:48   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
Both 1.3 & 1.6 MJD would be avl. ...
The 1.6 will come only in the top variant. Speculated at a price of 12 lakhs.

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th April 2015 at 08:54.
Closed Thread