Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2015, 17:28   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carophilic View Post
The timeless and understated looks are not a big draw in Indian market until and unless it's a VW(They can sell anything that is decently priced using the big blue VW badge!!!!)
Indian market is least sensitive to looks. Looks can create hype but may not reflect in long term sales.

Alto, Dzire, Innova and WagonR are examples of average looks with class leading sales numbers whereas, Punto, Verna, Pulse are good looking flops.

IMO what sells here is 'more car per car' that is true VFM. S-Cross/Creta will create ripples only is they fall in these two categories.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 17:59   #422
BANNED

Thanks for seconding me sourabhzen. Looks creates the initial hype that draws first wave of customers. It is only when the cars hit the road reliability, handling, value etc come up to the surface. I have no doubt that S Cross will be a good car but sans the initial hype creating factor like "butch" looks, AGS tech, etc. success is questionable.
Carophilic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 18:51   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Indian market is least sensitive to looks. Looks can create hype but may not reflect in long term sales.
Cannot agree more.

Its too soon to predict if it would be a hit or a miss, we need to at least wait for the official test report to be in.Personally, I would happily opt for an average looking car whose performance makes me smile rather than the one thatís a stunner but handles like a log.

As someone rightly compared, it may turn out similar to one of those Subaruís Ė which have a very mediocre looks but a great practical value. I just cannot wait to taste the 1.6 MJD!!
Old 9th June 2015, 19:33   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is priced at par with Duster, I would be inclined towards the S-Cross. This is spacious (as per Hormazd's feedback), better power / torque figures, interiors are far better, more equipment and Maruti backing as the cherry on top. I wouldn't mind even if the ride is not as good as Duster, coz this car feels worth the money in comparison.

This is set to be the torque monster of all the 1.6 L engines I hope. Let's see how Maruti plays the cards. And yes, they need to be awarded for the worst alloy wheel design of the decade. They just had to copy the international design, even if they had to downsize the radius of the wheel.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 21:37   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Both the Duster and the IX25 have very capable engines anyways. And at this point, we don't know how the nrew engine drives. Let us wait for the actual test drive.
Duster engine is tractable, while Hyundai's unit is refined. But this one's got fun-to-drive written all over it.

This will be the swift of the soft-roader segment.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 23:39   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/reviews...iew-2015.html#

This review says that Vitara is priced lesser than SCross in UK (by almost 1L!) If Maruti plans the same thing and provide enough gap for Vitara, SCross price will be a disaster, IMO. Had Maruti introduced Vitara instead of this SCross, they would have tasted better success, IMO.
+1

Maruti is well placed to take on the xuv500 with a solid product and everything else that comes with a Maruti.

But Mahindra knows the target customer better and adds the bling /looks.

Maruti is more conservative. I think the target customer is looking for excitement in this segment.
Old 10th June 2015, 07:30   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks good! As everyone mentioned, the chrome on the grille and those sad alloys need to go. Easy fixes.

Is the 1.6 MJD confirmed on the S-Cross?
Old 10th June 2015, 07:51   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Looks good! As everyone mentioned, the chrome on the grille and those sad alloys need to go. Easy fixes.

That added chrome probably is an India specific (sad) update. The S-Cross I see here looks very European in its looks, except for the Suzuki badge - classy, inoffensive and understated.

I really hope the India-specific updates are only on cosmetic level.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 08:13   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yes there will be 2 diesel varaints - 1.3 DDIS and the 1.6MJD.
Petrol is in question - will there be one?

Reports are there is a 1.6 petrol, if not we will get the 1.4 turbo(BoosterJet)engine next year.(Q3 2015 -release in China)

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th June 2015 at 08:18.
Old 10th June 2015, 08:34   #430
Team-BHP Support

A blackened front grill as its shown in the international version looks nicer in my opinion. And as many stated, the design is no "in your face". And that to me is actually very good. Because, an understated elegance would be nice to have. It would easily pass on without being an attention seeker. But what I really would love to see, is they NOT compromising one bit on the interiors and the build.

They have been making all changes to their sales outlets to sell the premium cars in their line. I just hope the cars turn out to be "premium" worthy.

Last edited by ampere : 10th June 2015 at 09:15. Reason: Corrected Typo
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 12:33   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to source 1.6 litre diesel Fiat engine for S-Cross; developing its own 1.5 litre engine which is likely to debut in 2017/18.

CIAZ too is likely to get the 1.6 MJD - A new development considering the delay in its in-house Suzuki engine.

Quote:
Maruti has received feedback from the market that the Ciaz diesel is underpowered
Quote:
Maruti may also introduce a 1.6 litre diesel engine variant of its sedan Ciaz

ACI -
Quote:
The India-spec car is slightly different from its international sibling, and will be powered by a Fiat-sourced 1.6-litre diesel engine.

In terms of styling, the S-Cross features black body cladding, faux skid plates at the front, back and both flanks, raised ground clearance, projector headlamps with daytime running lights, a new dual-slat chrome grille instead of the plain looking unit on the international model and new 16-inch alloy wheels. The production S-Cross will also not wear the Maruti Suzuki or Suzuki badge when it goes on sale; but will carry only the model name and a badge showing the engine specification on the tail-gate.

Inside, the S-Cross gets an all-black interior with silver inserts, climate control, rear air-con vents, a multi-function steering wheel and Maruti SmartPlay touch-screen infotainment system.

Under the hood, the S-Cross is powered by a Fiat-sourced 1.6-litre diesel engine developing 118bhp and 32kgm of torque, which will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47611088.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th June 2015 at 12:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 12:58   #432
Senior - BHPian

Slightly unsettling that they are implying that the Peugeot 1.6 will be a stopgap measure for maybe 2/3 years maximum. Not good for long term spares and service etc.

Somewhat like the VW 1.6 petrol which was discontinued pretty quickly.
Old 10th June 2015, 14:14   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A blackened front grill as its shown in the international version looks nicer in my opinion.
I agree. Owners might be able to import one if they want to or blacken them at a cheaper cost using some DIY methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Slightly unsettling that they are implying that the Peugeot 1.6 will be a stopgap measure for maybe 2/3 years maximum. Not good for long term spares and service etc.

Somewhat like the VW 1.6 petrol which was discontinued pretty quickly.
Spare parts availability might not be any issue with Maruti. They are still supporting Esteem after all these years. However, newer engines will be more efficient as in the case of 1.2 L k-series against 1.3 L Swifts.
Old 11th June 2015, 11:03   #434
BHPian

Seen an update:

Indian version of S-Cross, as revealed by previous spyshots, features silver twin slate grille, silver skid plates, black lower body cladding with silver inserts, slightly raised ground clearance and 16-inch alloy wheels. The crossover ditches ‘Maruti Suzuki’ badge on the tailgate, and wears only variant and engine badges.

Reference and read more at:

http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-s-cro...0cSY2WGEAU3.99
Old 11th June 2015, 11:09   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

As the launch of Maruti's S Cross and Hyundai's Creta nears, specifications are being compared with the reigning segment leaderrespect to Duster.

Name:  0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_ExtraImages_20150611103944_Merge2.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  50.5 KB

Quote:
Creta is expected to come with a wide range of powertrains, - 1.6-litre diesel engine which will make it the most powerful of the three.
Quote:
The S-Cross gains in the torque category with 32kgm of pulling power.
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 2688
Size:  6.2 KB

Quote:
Duster has the largest exterior here. However, since the margin is not significant, the Creta and the S-Cross will also be adequately spacious.
Duster scores here as well with 475-litre of space as against the S-Cross' 430 litres. Actual figures of the Creta are not available, but it is likely to have a similar boot as the Duster.
Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 2749
Size:  7.2 KB

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-395544.aspx/0

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th June 2015 at 11:17.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread