Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2015, 22:04   #586
BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How much premium will this command over Ciaz
That is the big question. I am not very sure how loaded Ciaz is variant per variant, but I believe the 1.3 DDIS versions of S Cross should have little or no premium over a similarly specced Ciaz.

The 1.6 litre versions might be pricey owing to the higher tax slab.

Next couple of months are for sure quite interesting with the Creta lined up for launch. I thinks Creta leads S cross in the looks department and the visible quality. All though S cross does look premium inside, Creta seems at a different level. Of course I expect S Cross to drive better than Creta specially with the 1.6 litre engine. In for a good fight I believe.
Old 1st July 2015, 22:08   #587
BHPian

The boot space @ 353-375 Litres is rather small by segment standards. Strangely, the S Cross on the Australian Website shows a boot space of 430 Litres; I wonder what they have done to bring it down by almost 80 Litres. Could they have shifted the rear seats back to liberate extra leg room? I don't have the answer.
rednikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 22:11   #588
BHPian

1. 3 variants on 1.6 L engine is a surprise. Can Maruti import engines without impacting wait times if volumes are high or is it expecting 1.6 to be low volume while 1.3 L to be volume generator.
2. Nice step towards safety in base variants, though ESP is missing in 1.6 even.
3. Let me hazard a guess, Creta is going to outsell S Cross here while Maruti would like to play the pricing as the trump card, but with imported engines how much room does Maruti have?
4. No AT and petrol is a dampener to start with. Low AT volumes would have given Maruti the luxury of doing away with it while also keeping production lines free for other high volume variants. It already has 8 variants to produce, just in Diesel. Could be logistics nightmare?
Old 1st July 2015, 22:37   #589
BHPian

Ground clearance at 180mm with a longish wheelbase is too less. Thumbs up to Maruti for offering diskbreak and airbags in all variants, though would have loved to see passenger air bag too in each.
Old 1st July 2015, 22:49   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I somehow also feel that Duster will not be left in the dust.
I agree. The Duster still continues to be a formidable package with class leading ride quality and handling. Infact the AWD may put several 2 class above cars to shame in these departments IMO. If anything these products should encourage Renault to beef up its kit and improve on the interiors to compete effectively
Old 1st July 2015, 23:00   #591
Team-BHP Support

Why would anyone buy X-Cross platform without an AWD system? Am really amused at the logic from MUL Somehow Japs have no clue of the pulse of the market and europeans have no clue how to make cars like Japs. And us Indian consumers in between both of them.

I had some expectation towards this model.. shattered to zillion bits now!
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 23:02   #592
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how soon the 1.6D will make it to Ciaz. Would be a great value at about 75K - 1L more that 1.3D, and hopefully quite fun to drive as well.
Old 1st July 2015, 23:09   #593
Senior - BHPian

With less height, it looks more like a car than a crossover SUV. Hope the seat height is good and it provides a commanding view like SUV. What attracts me towards S cross is the torque of 1.6 engine.

The boot space is less, even lesser than the 400 litres of Creta, which is same as hatchback Jazz. Honda rocks with respect to space management.

I like the looks, other than than the chrome grill and alloy wheel.

I am happy to see a dead pedal in the picture.

I think Creta will outsell S cross by a huge margin.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 1st July 2015 at 23:11.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 23:19   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why would anyone buy X-Cross platform without an AWD system? Am really amused at the logic from MUL Somehow Japs have no clue of the pulse of the market and europeans have no clue how to make cars like Japs. And us Indian consumers in between both of them.

I had some expectation towards this model.. shattered to zillion bits now!
I am sure many of us will buy it (X-cross without AWD). They must have seen the report (mentioned somewhere by GTO, if am not mistaken)which says that only 4-5% of total customer base opt for AWD/4WD.

I am disappointed by no AWD and no petrol option at launch. 320 NM torque with AWD would have been extremely tempting offering by MSIL.
Old 1st July 2015, 23:24   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

I am disappointed by no AWD and no petrol option at launch. 320 NM torque with AWD would have been extremely tempting offering by MSIL.
I think they would come with AWD later, as Duster. I am disappointed that there is no automatic transmission (AT). AT makes a lot of sense, considering these vehicles will be used a lot in city traffic. Also, surprised that top version of Creta does not come with AT. Overall, Creta looks more appealing as of now.
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:00   #596
Senior - BHPian

Post re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Why would anyone buy X-Cross platform without an AWD system? Am really amused at the logic from MUL
This isn't going to attract many customers posing as a mini-suv or proper crossover. To me, it isn't. Think of it as a fast, spacious hatchback and it starts making a lot of sense.

Best for good bhp and crazy torque (the 320).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
With less height, it looks more like a car than a crossover SUV. Hope the seat height is good and it provides a commanding view like SUV.
You're almost answering yourself against the hope you've expressed. With less height, almost no commanding suv-like view seems possible. This car doesn't even look as tall as the EcoSport.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:14   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
With less height, it looks more like a car than a crossover SUV.
It is a a station-wagon, plain and simple, regardless of what fancy tags are attached to it. Not that being a station wagon is a bad thing in itself.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:46   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Why would anyone buy X-Cross platform without an AWD system?
I think many people are sailing in the same boat. Even with less than a year old Elite Diesel in the garage, I am waiting in the wings for a Diesel + AWD + AT + Safety features loaded crossover to jump the gun and throw all ownership cost calculations out of the window but to no avail. Whichever out of Hyundai or Maruti brings the proverbial cat out of their bag first has my money. I think the ones graduating from A or B segment might look at present crop of trims being launched in Creta or S-Cross, but none from B+ segment onwards.

At present, the above combination, appears at price point of Audi Q3, if we discount the ladder frame SUVs. I think this is a huge opportunity lower down in the price bracket of 10 to 20 L and with decent volumes and fat margins (premium pricing).
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:52   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Took some time to realize this was an India unveil/launch - reason : ABS/ Airbags / Disc brakes! Can't believe Indians finally get a royal treatment from Maruti. Awesome loaded product. Guess it'll definitely put up a fight with Creta. But Creta has the advantage of the 'Shape'. I am amused how people go bonkers about the 1.6L here and no mention of the same in Creta thread. Maruti well knows how to restrict something good for customers, make them crave for it & finally do them a favor.

Looking forward to the TD report. This might be a fun to drive car with similar GC to the swift. The car is longer, wider, taller & have 10mm more GC than Swift.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd July 2015 at 01:06. Reason: Added dimension comparison
Old 2nd July 2015, 00:54   #600
BHPian

Don't know if anyone else noticed but they have also removed the dual zone climate control system and given a normal climatronic system. The unit in the image shown at the launch is different from the on that was in the iifa launch video.

The dual zone ACC could have been a segment first. Other than that Maruti has done well by giving all but one variant with airbags, ABS and all around discs way to go Maruti. Hope that the structural rigidity doesn't face any cost cutting and also wish they had given at least one variant with 6 airbags so it could compete with the Creta in that space. Also the alloys look horrid

The biggest advantage that Maruti has is the 1.6 MJD aka ddis 320. The sheer amount of torque should be enough to put a smile on every person that drives it. Hope Maruti has reduced or controlled the turbo lag in the 1.6 seen in the 1.3 MJD.

Finally Maruti why no rear A/c vents?

EDIT: Auto car has released the first look video

Last edited by rockporiom : 2nd July 2015 at 01:12.
rockporiom is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread