Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2015, 01:35   #601
BHPian

Default re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why would anyone buy X-Cross platform without an AWD system? Am really amused at the logic from MUL Somehow Japs have no clue of the pulse of the market and europeans have no clue how to make cars like Japs. And us Indian consumers in between both of them.
It's not about Japs or Germans not making AWDs, they make 100 times more AWDs for car models than all cars sold in India put together. Its about the Indian car market that has such a frustratingly price sensitive customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
It is a a station-wagon, plain and simple, regardless of what fancy tags are attached to it. Not that being a station wagon is a bad thing in itself.
Seriously? The S Cross looks like a station wagon to you? No offense but looks like you really need to read more about what a station wagon is. It has to be an extension of a sedan with a roof over the bonnet, there has to be a three box design, and the presence of a D-pillar. The S Cross is nowhere near any of those dimensions or characteristics. Jesus!

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-three_body_styles_with_pillars_and_boxes.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Also, surprised that top version of Creta does not come with AT.
Except that the top version does come with 6 speed AT, according to latest reports.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 2nd July 2015 at 01:47.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 06:31   #602
BHPian

Am I the only one disappointed about the fact that projector head lamps are available only on the top most model? Most of the S-Cross we see on the roads could be featuring just the plain old clear lens head lamps. Is it that costly for Maruti to include it in every model?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2015 at 07:35. Reason: Formatted post
Old 2nd July 2015, 07:16   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had some expectation towards this model.. shattered to zillion bits now!
Same here! extremely disappointed. I liked the subtle styling, and the 1.6L engine is a plus. But other than that there is nothing to justify the so-called premium tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Took some time to realize this was an India unveil/launch - reason : ABS/ Airbags / Disc brakes! Can't believe Indians finally get a royal treatment from Maruti. Awesome loaded product. Guess it'll definitely put up a fight with Creta. But Creta has the advantage of the 'Shape'. I am amused how people go bonkers about the 1.6L here and no mention of the same in Creta thread. Maruti well knows how to restrict something good for customers, make them crave for it & finally do them a favor.
Is it that really loaded? Suzuki may call it a premium product and sell it under the premium dealership umbrella, but that premium tag probably works when compared to other products in their own portfolio. This is a heavily watered down version compared to the S-Cross in other markets (probably to gain on pricing). There were glowing comments on how well the S-Cross performed in the ASEAN NCap tests. Below are the key safety features of the S-Cross in Malaysia, and you'll see how well-loaded it is compared to what we will be getting.

Name:  SCross MY Safety.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  85.7 KB
vb-san is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:03   #604
BHPian

Angry re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

I guess everyone has to wait for TBHP comprehensive showdown of Hyundai Creta and Maruti Suzuki S-Cross before we get to a logical conclusion. No doubt, pricing will be an important factor for both the cars. At this juncture, my hunch is -its advantage Creta.

While it is true that Indians may like chrome bling, it just doesn't mean that put it anywhere on the car in whatever form the manufacturer likes. Creta has a garish and out of place chrome sticker at the rear while S-Cross wears it as twin moustache on front grill. Why? IMO, the UK version of S-Cross looks much mature on front than the Indian one. I mean why do such things which cry out loud as cheap after-thoughts. As much as we like the amount of chrome, its the art of using it which creates the desirable bling effect and you don't need to be a connoisseur to understand it.

Off topic: I feel extremely frustrated while looking at the feature list, particularly Maruti's- not that the other manufacturers lag behind though. Some day we will get a feature list which would list features in the car as 4 doors-tick, all doors painted-tick, paint is of same color-tick, door locks present-tick, do they work-tick, door locks painted-tick and chrome on door- only top model and so on. Why can't they provide actual features instead of letting me know the components of the car? I need to filter this ridiculous list to actually find the key differentators of the car and the features.

Last edited by headbanger : 2nd July 2015 at 08:04.
headbanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:20   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also weighing in the S-Crossís favour are its grown up driving dynamics. It drives in a very predictable and straightforward way, with decent body control and a fairly compliant ride. It is surprisingly agile too, with good front-end grip that allows it to dart into corners quickly and crisply. The steering is quite responsive too, except for a dead spot around the straight-ahead position, which is typical of lots of Suzukis. The ride is quite pliant and soaks up bumps well, but sharp edges crash through the cabin. For the Indian market, the S-Crossís suspension will be further tuned and itís likely to get higher-profile tyres to cushion passengers from bad roads and improve ride quality.
source: Autocar india review

If Hyundai had managed to faithfully replicate the alleged sloppy handling for it's crossover, then the verdict will be on Suzuki's side though Creta will still sell for it's aesthetics(interior/exterior).
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:22   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Media drive is on, First comments on the Maruti S Cross (1.6) . Seems like an August Launch.
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-ci38prfukaadsg.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-ci39v5oumaavycq.jpg

Quote:
Early morning drive in Maruti S-Cross. Punchy 1.6 diesel makes highway driving a breeze.
S-Cross' Torquey 1.6 diesel has v. strong mid range- great for overtaking. But, turbo lag distinct at low revs

https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd July 2015 at 08:37.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:23   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

I really like the interior. Kudos to MSIL for following a black theme for their new cars.

All round disc brakes is a very welcome move, with 320 Nm from that Italian heart, one is going to need all that stopping power. Love the fact that there are 3 variants to choose from with 1.6 MJD. All-Grip would have made it sweeter. Can only imagine how it will drive on wet KL roads with all 4 corners making the car hold like a leech.

Things I don't like - those JK tyres, those alloys, the 2 DIN. But easy fixes thankfully.

OT: Is it safe to assume all MSIL cars from Nexa will sport similar nomenclature for variants? So, we might see VDi/ ZDi monikers being dropped from Ciaz as well.
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:29   #608
Senior - BHPian

Seems like maruti has a feature rich model on offer. But the absence of petrol model is a big let down for me.

This time, Maruti is trying the hyundai way of offering too many variants with just a difference of one or two features.

But I don't understand the logic behind the new variant naming system. In their other models, L, V and Z follow English alphabet sequence. But here, it is just a mix of Greek alphabets. If it has to be in order, it has to be alpha, delta, zeta and sigma (but here, alpha being the most loaded). But maruti chosen it as alpha, zeta, delta and sigma. New thinking, new mistakes.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd July 2015 at 08:36.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:22   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
source: Autocar india review

If Hyundai had managed to faithfully replicate the alleged sloppy handling for it's crossover, then the verdict will be on Suzuki's side though Creta will still sell for it's aesthetics(interior/exterior).
Just a point that it looks like Autocar drove the 4x4 Allgrip version so our FWD version could be pretty far removed from their experience.
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:54   #610
BHPian

As per the spec looks like DDiS 200 has 5 variants. Am I correct?
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:31   #611
BHPian

God bless competition! It's absolutely fantastic that Suzuki are releasing S-Cross in India. It needed a Renault to tell Suzuki that there is a market for such vehicles in India.

The following are my views on the positives and the negatives. More positives than negatives for the S-cross IMHO and I am really looking forward to this vehicle.

Pros
+ The 1.6 MJD with 6 gear MT. It's not FIAT who have brought this to the Indian market but Suzuki. So, hats-off to them. Lot of people criticized Suzuki for not having the 1.6 MJD in the Ciaz and I think that they have done well to bring it to the crossover. I hope it makes it to the Ciaz at some time in point.
+ Good safety features (All disc brakes being the icing on the cake)
+ All black interiors (Thank God for that!! Hope we don't get a beige later)
+ Classical exterior design. It's not something like EcoSport or Creta that might immediately attract people but I think it's still classical
+ Interior design. Interiors look great at least from the pictures. Keeping my finger crossed that the quality is good

Cons
+ The space surrounding the DIN unit. It's a minor irritant and I am nit-picking. It looks more like an after-market unit as the integration does not look good, at least from picture
+ Unknown structural integrity. Will be good if Suzuki can give greater confidence to the buyers on the structural integrity aspect. I hope they have not compromised on this to get greater fuel efficiency. I believe that the people who are in the market for such cross-overs will not be bothered too much about the F.E but will be greatly bothered about the safety aspect

Overall thumbs-up from me that we are getting such cars/cross-overs to the Indian market
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:53   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pics from the media drive,
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702093959_sxx1.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094024_sx1.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094027_sx2.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094029_sx3.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094035_sxx8.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094030_sx4.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094032_sx5.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094041_sxx11.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094043_sxx12.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094044_sxx13.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094046_sxx14.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094048_sxx15.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094813_press5.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094813_press6.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-0_0_860_http___172_17_115_180_82_galleries_20150702094812_press4.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...x#imageGallery

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd July 2015 at 11:08.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:54   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
+ Unknown structural integrity. Will be good if Suzuki can give greater confidence to the buyers on the structural integrity aspect. I hope they have not compromised on this to get greater fuel efficiency. I believe that the people who are in the market for such cross-overs will not be bothered too much about the F.E but will be greatly bothered about the safety aspect

Overall thumbs-up from me that we are getting such cars/cross-overs to the Indian market
Considering that it weighs as much as the Duster and that in Ciaz and S-Cross, they have mentioned about Suzuki Tect body, I would expect it to be good.

Strange that these concerns were not showcased in the Creta thread inspite of i10 failing the crash tests as well. I think it shows their concern for Maruti as a brand
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:27   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I am sure many of us will buy it (X-cross without AWD). They must have seen the report (mentioned somewhere by GTO, if am not mistaken)which says that only 4-5% of total customer base opt for AWD/4WD.

I am disappointed by no AWD and no petrol option at launch. 320 NM torque with AWD would have been extremely tempting offering by MSIL.
Ya not all are educated as Team BHP ians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
This isn't going to attract many customers posing as a mini-suv or proper crossover. To me, it isn't. Think of it as a fast, spacious hatchback and it starts making a lot of sense.
But for that there are so many other options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I think many people are sailing in the same boat. Even with less than a year old Elite Diesel in the garage, I am waiting in the wings for a Diesel + AWD + AT + Safety features loaded crossover to jump the gun and throw all ownership cost calculations out of the window but to no avail. Whichever out of Hyundai or Maruti brings the proverbial cat out of their bag first has my money. I think the ones graduating from A or B segment might look at present crop of trims being launched in Creta or S-Cross, but none from B+ segment onwards.
Ya India as a market has changed, both the urban yuppie who takes off beaten vacations and rural business man would love such a package. Efficient comfortable and can take some beating. People who buy Thar and sell off in under year is classic example for this base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Same here! extremely disappointed. I liked the subtle styling, and the 1.6L engine is a plus. But other than that there is nothing to justify the so-called premium tag.
I really don't understand why someone would fall for the premium tag lol its a mid size X over car. That's it. Hope pricing atleast would be starting at 6.5-7 lakhs for the 2 wheel drive version
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:34   #615
Senior - BHPian

Judging from the panel gaps etc. In the pics, it looks to be built well. Will still hold my final judgement for when I can get my hands on this car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just a point that it looks like Autocar drove the 4x4 Allgrip version so our FWD version could be pretty far removed from their experience.
FWD version will not be "far removed from their experience" the handling characteristics of Suzuki's AWD system mimicks that of a FWD car. You will have understeer in both cars it is just that the AWD car will not kill you for crossing the limit the only thing one would be right in watching out for would be to see if Maruti tunes the suspension and damper rates for "Indian conditions" which in their dictionary usually means an extremely softly sprung car

Quote:
I really don't understand why someone would fall for the premium tag lol its a mid size X over car. That's it. Hope pricing atleast would be starting at 6.5-7 lakhs for the 2 wheel drive version
As long as it is built like its European version, I wouldn't hesitate to call it a premium crossover; firstly, one has to take the economic position of the Indian population into consideration secondly, when you compare it to the likes of the Duster/Terrano, the space, interiors, possible build and resultant safety, all-wheel disc brakes, features like HID lights , cruise etc, make it seem premium. It is experts like you suggesting it ought to be priced at 6.5-7lakhs that drive manufacturers in India to try meeting such expectations by compromising on several aspects including structural integrity and then you will again complain lol. Anyway I really do hope they price it reasonably without compromising on the way in which that car is made a starting price of 7.5-8 lakhs would be perfectly justifiable (just hope they provide features like abs and dual airbags on all models)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2015 at 15:49. Reason: Post edited. Smileys = 2 per post.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread