Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2015, 07:03   #676
BHPian

As many have said this doesn't look like an SUV and probably stays true to the name crossover. So those who are looking for butch SUV looks will not look at this as an option. However the interiors look very nice and design wise better that Creta with all black layout giving it a sporty feel. From the reviews it also looks like quality is top notch. Ride and Handling will be its strength over the Creta. A good fight to watch out for!
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:06   #677
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

India S-cross comes with rear AC vents. There is a video on AUTOCAR YouTube channel where they have given a walk through of the S-cross at the launch function by sucheta i think. Rear AC vents are very much there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
No rear AC vents Sir in the Indian S cross.

Regards,
Shashi
I stand corrected. I think there is no rear AC vent in S-Cross.

Last edited by autobahnjpr : 3rd July 2015 at 09:16. Reason: Wrong Info by mistake.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:45   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
India S-cross comes with rear AC vents. There is a video on AUTOCAR YouTube channel where they have given a walk through of the S-cross at the launch function by sucheta i think. Rear AC vents are very much there.
Quote:
I stand corrected. I think there is no rear AC vent in S-Cross.
Ahh! Now that is giving tough time to language understanding part of my brain which is already on such poor level that I keep getting infractions for 'poor English language', please explain in bit easier language what you are trying to convey? Does it have rear vents or not?
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:16   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Cons
+ The space surrounding the DIN unit. It's a minor irritant and I am nit-picking. It looks more like an after-market unit as the integration does not look good, at least from picture
I was just going through web trying to do a comparison of the interiors of the Indian S-Cross and the international ones. From the pictures below you could clearly see one difference on the DIN unit. I believe the international one in the below picture is a Chinese one. I wish we get this design as it looks much better integrated.

Name:  suzukiscrosschinal1a.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  111.6 KB
The above one is the Chinese one.
Source for above picture : From web

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  8.9 KB
This is the Indian one and this is what we could see from the media drives. This looks quite bland compared to the above picture. I just hope that this is a pre-production version and we get something similar to the Chinese one above.
searacer932 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:19   #680
BHPian

Quote:

This is the Indian one and this is what we could see from the media drives. This looks quite bland compared to the above picture. I just hope that this is a pre-production version and we get something similar to the Chinese one above.
No, this is not the pre-production version of the car. The system what you see in photos taken during media drive is the real deal.

Indian market is a very price sensitive market. Maruti takes into consideration what the masses really need. The international version gets a sunroof as well, which clearly most of us don't need/desire. (On the other hand, I really want one in my car!)

Last edited by Aston Singh : 3rd July 2015 at 10:23.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:28   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Ahh! Now that is giving tough time to language understanding part of my brain which is already on such poor level that I keep getting infractions for 'poor English language', please explain in bit easier language what you are trying to convey? Does it have rear vents or not?
I think the language is pretty clear. The guy added a comment stating AC rear vent is present, went thru previous comments and then realized that he has posted incorrect information. He edited his earlier comment by adding the second part where he mentions being corrected and stating that AC rear vents are not present. If you look at the reason for editing for the comment, he has mentioned the reason as incorrect information. I hope this clears the sequence of events.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:59   #682
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the international one in the below picture is a Chinese one. I wish we get this design as it looks much better integrated.

The above one is the Chinese one.

This is the Indian one and this is what we could see from the media drives. This looks quite bland compared to the above picture.
Yes, the Chinese touchscreen system certainly looks much better integrated.

The Indian one is basically the touchscreen unit lifted from the Ciaz.

The problem is that this unit is a rectangular one designed for the Ciaz, and the S-Cross (by design) has a trapezoidal space for the unit.

This "rectangle-inside-a-trapezoid" is what makes it look like an aftermarket unit.

Ironically, the non-touchscreen unit featured on the lower variants may actually appear better integrated into the dash, as it would be specifically designed for the trapezoidal head-unit space of the S-Cross.

Well, there is a simple shortcut that Maruti Suzuki can take to make it appear better integrated.

The empty space surrounding the rectangular unit seems to be made of "piano black" plastic. This makes the empty space within the trapezoid appear very obvious.

Instead of the piano black plastic surrounding the unit, they can use some nice, high quality "carbon fibre finish" plastic in that space. The carbon fibre look alike would make the empty space much less obvious, and hence appear better integrated:

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 3rd July 2015 at 11:25.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:39   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

First Look video of the Suzuki S-Cross, courtesy Renuka Kirpalani of Autocar India:

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:51   #684
Senior - BHPian

I feel that Maruti has for the first time put great things into a car. The features and specifications are very encouraging. But I feel it could be not the type of car that India wants at this stage.
Its lacks the looks and specifications of a mini SUV amid many that competitors are introducing and could be confusing and heartbreak for Maruti. They could have concentrated on the Vitara.
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:07   #685
BHPian

I agree to most of the feedback regarding the looks, interiors, features, etc. However, I am saddened by the fact that most of us overlooked the fact that S-Cross gives only dual airbags across the variant range.

While competitors like Ecosport, Creta, XUV all offer side and curtain airbags, S-Cross gets only dual airbags. I very well appreciate the fact that Maruti has moved away from its usual philosophy of giving full safety features only on top end. However, considering that they have loaded the car so well including the lower variants, they could have provided 6 airbags at least on the top variant. That would have made the package more complete .

Experts, please help me in understanding why LED DRLs in international variants are converted to LED positioning lamps in India? Why not provide a DRL, what (or how much) are they trying to save by this change? I am not getting the point.

Another decision that has still not struck chords with me is Maruti's decision to sell this car exclusively through Nexa showrooms. I am not sure how many Nexa showrooms will be open before S-Cross comes to sale. But I am very sure, they will not even be 25% in number considering Maruti's current showrooms. Majorly Nexa will be in Tier 1 cities and some Tier 2 cities. I will be surprised if a Tier 3 city gets Nexa dealership by the year end. By doing this, aren't Maruti restricting the sales of S-Cross? The USP of Maruti was easy access to showrooms and service stations due to the sheer huge numbers. Nexa will eliminate that USP right on Day 1. Again, I am sure these cars will also be serviced in separate service stations.

Why is Maruti doing this?
  • Are they trying to create an exclusivity for premium products and deliberately making it less reachable to masses?? Or
  • Are they trying to restrict demand purposefully as high demand will not really mean huge profits. Due to the fact that
    • Engines are imported and hence cost much more
    • Also being a 1.6 L diesel, attracts higher duty
  • To price competitively in spite of the above means lesser margins. So is Maruti waiting to localize the engines or get the 1.5 L Multijet that Fiat is readying before they make S-Cross mass market?

Last edited by Vigkey : 3rd July 2015 at 13:08.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:24   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Another decision that has still not struck chords with me is Maruti's decision to sell this car exclusively through Nexa showrooms. I am not sure how many Nexa showrooms will be open before S-Cross comes to sale. But I am very sure, they will not even be 25% in number considering Maruti's current showrooms. Majorly Nexa will be in Tier 1 cities and some Tier 2 cities. I will be surprised if a Tier 3 city gets Nexa dealership by the year end. By doing this, aren't Maruti restricting the sales of S-Cross? The USP of Maruti was easy access to showrooms and service stations due to the sheer huge numbers. Nexa will eliminate that USP right on Day 1. Again, I am sure these cars will also be serviced in separate service stations.[/list]
Separate dealerships so that people do not judge it as a low quality product. No one has said anything about separate service centers so one need not fret so much
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:50   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Experts, please help me in understanding why LED DRLs in international variants are converted to LED positioning lamps in India? Why not provide a DRL, what (or how much) are they trying to save by this change? I am not getting the point.
In some countries like Canada and northern hemisphere, it is a law to have DRLs. This is because of extreme cold weather and poor visibility almost whole year. Therefore it is really not required in India.

In India, it is just a fashion statement (like wearing jeans in summer). Infact, I personally find DRLs distracting just like loud horns or reverse gear horns.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:51   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

As earlier posted Suzuki introduces new double-clutch transmission for the UK markets in its SX4 Cross and New Vitara - only in its AllGrip variant.
Speculated to come to India if demand for AWD is there.

UK Spec - SX4 S Cross (TCSS option)
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-presentation1.jpg

Dubbed the Twin Clutch System by Suzuki (TCSS). Said transmission – which offers drivers the option to change gears via paddle shifters.

Quote:
The TCSS transmission, comprised of hydraulically-operated clutches, is said to offer the convenience of automatic gearbox. Said system utilises one clutch for the first, third and fifth gears while the second is responsible for the even-numbered gears. The six-speed double-clutch transmission gets paired to a 1.6 litre Euro 6-compliant DDiS four-cylinder diesel engine.
Quote:
The new automatic transmission boasts wider ratios to allow the engine to run at lower speeds when cruising. Drivers can also opt to select the gears manually via the shift paddles.
TCCS-endowed S-Cross achieves a fuel consumption rating of 26.7 km/l on the combined cycle.
This option comes at an additional cost of ~134,000 INR.

http://paultan.org/2015/07/01/suzuki...on-introduced/

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd July 2015 at 13:53.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:32   #689

Interesting point in the article cited by Volkman is that considering you have identical engine + drivetrains and very close vehicle weights between the S-cross and Vitara, 21 kmpl vs 26.7kmpl difference can be attributed almost entirely to aerodynamics of a boxy butch body vs a streamlined hatch!

BTW - I put down a token deposit with Pratham in Blore 2 weeks back and am hoping I dont have to drive all the way across town in bangalore traffic repeatedly to partake of some enhanced customer experience.

Rather than 'hospitality sector execs' and downtown real-estate I would appreciate Maruti making the investment in logistics and supply chain management to give us choice of features.

I, for one, would happily wait a couple of months to avoid the appalling combination of silver roof-rails, atrocious alloys, dubious elanzos and what have you that make up a standard package.
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:23   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross launch in August 2015.

Quote:
Maruti will price the entry-level variants of the S-Cross powered by the 1.3 diesel very aggressively. Maruti says that the S-Cross is a premium crossover and with its expected aggressive pricing and could do rather well also eating into the premium hatchback space.
http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/69...ugust-2015.htm
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread