Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2015, 15:46   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Interesting picture from zigwheels. I am also looking forward to a comparison of the 1.3 diesel with the Jazz, and also the Ertiga.

Source - http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/22391/

PS- Maruti should probably fire the guy who selects their alloy wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th July 2015 at 15:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 16:22   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interesting picture from zigwheels. I am also looking forward to a comparison of the 1.3 diesel with the Jazz, and also the Ertiga.

Source - http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/22391/

Those alloys are so ugly. Another things is, as per some post here, the rear wheel caliper is at the top .

So even if you go for a nice alloy, the rear caliper would look so out of place when compared to the front once.
Old 7th July 2015, 16:27   #813
BHPian

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, the S-cross that retails in other countries have the same alloy wheel design.

http://www.suzuki.com.au/s-cross/#/design-and-styling

On that page you can actually see another design which looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-gl.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-glx.jpg  

batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 16:37   #814
BHPian

I wish they were offering the S cross in black as well.

Personally, I would change the alloys right away - move to 17" rims. And swap those useless JK tyres for Michelins/Continental rubber with 215 profile.
What you then get is - Better grip, better ride quality, better handling and a better looking car !

Would these changes void the warranty right away?

Image source: Motorbash
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutiscrossblackpic.jpg  

Last edited by Aston Singh : 7th July 2015 at 16:42.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:02   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post

Maruti has gotten most things right and will probably get the pricing also right.
Maruti has gotten most things right. Yes, but not all things right. Remember A-Star, Estilo, Versa? They died as infants. So, not all things Maruti may fly off shelves. I don't think this will be a big hit. More so because of impending Creta launch which seems to have gotten everyone excited. The timing does not seem right.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:02   #816
BHPian

Got a call from NEXA Kalyani in Bangalore. They confirmed that the SCross launch is on JULY 24, 2015.

I am pre booking it too. Hope Maruti does not disappoint.
Old 7th July 2015, 17:10   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Maruti has gotten most things right. Yes, but not all things right. Remember A-Star, Estilo, Versa? They died as infants. So, not all things Maruti may fly off shelves. I don't think this will be a big hit. More so because of impending Creta launch which seems to have gotten everyone excited. The timing does not seem right.
Of course pgsagar, if you read my post in entirety, you will understand that I have mentioned the same. S-Cross has got most things right - but just right. No USP compared to Creta except for the handling. I would not say that this will be an outright flop. But this will not sell even as much as Ciaz is my thought.
Old 7th July 2015, 18:43   #818
Senior - BHPian

While everyone is posting their opinion about the car's looks, here's my perspective and I am sure many think the same way:

I believe the Creta will probably be a greater success because it is true that our market loves their cars to pose as flashy SUVs. That said, I would still go for the S Cross. Purely because not only is it tuned to be a better car to drive, its lower relative height will inherently offer better confidence inspiring levels of control while at the same time not having to worry about bad roads As far as design goes, I like me a good looking car but Hyundais don't cut it they are just too predictable and there is simply no intelligent or interesting design bits on their cars. I actually like stance of the SCross lent by its strong shoulder and waist line. The shape of the headlamps are nice and chunky as well with the whole thing coming together to offer a not-too-over-imposing or pretentious, yet classy and simple design. Reminds me of Subarus... The fact that it comes with good, nearly class leading levels of kit just makes it better cause I won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Those alloys are so ugly. Another things is, as per some post here, the rear wheel caliper is at the top .

So even if you go for a nice alloy, the rear caliper would look so out of place when compared to the front once.
LOL no way! Brake calipers are mounted vertically in front or behind because of space constraints and more importantly because these are the only two ideal positions for good cooling.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th July 2015 at 18:45.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 18:46   #819
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Was looking forward to the S-Cross for an upgrade, but have to agree with most folks here, Maruti is bringing a knife to a gun fight !

For their sake, hope someone over there is working on bringing the Vitara with the 1.6 MJD motor.
Interesting that though these engines appear to be direct imports, they have the Suzuki badge on them.
The Abarth T-Jet Punto appears to be a more appealing prospect for a beater car for Bangalore now...

Last edited by im_srini : 7th July 2015 at 18:48.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 18:57   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
If it makes you feel better, the S-cross that retails in other countries have the same alloy wheel design.
Good point, but those don't look like 16" wheels (which are on the Indian version) - and that makes a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
LOL no way!
He's actually right, the caliper is at the top on the rear wheel.
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 19:01   #821
BHPian

I think Maruti had a better chance of selling this car through their own dealerships than having a NEXA. It may happen that people do not associate this car with Maruti and in that case the loyal Maruti customers are lost. Now assuming if this car is not from Maruti, then I think its fate is known, it will fail miserably, it doesn't look attractive which most Indian customers want. I hope Maruti will advertise it in a way that people still feel its from the same Maruti stable that they believe in.
As we know, Maruti does not want people to associate this so called "Luxury" brand with Maruti, so I am really skeptical about the fate of this car. On the top of that, this will be compared directly with the likes of Creta which looks outstanding.

I will eagerly wait to see this in flesh in person!!
Old 7th July 2015, 19:50   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

LOL no way! Brake calipers are mounted vertically in front or behind because of space constraints and more importantly because these are the only two ideal positions for good cooling.
I hope what you are saying is correct. Attached is the image uploaded here sometime back by one of the members. Its of Chinese S cross but you never know if it holds true for Indian S cross as well. The rear caliper seems at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-suzukiscrosschinal2.jpg  

Old 7th July 2015, 19:53   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look at the picture below regarding the rear wheel brake caliper.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-untitled.jpg

--------------------------------------------

Look at the ACC switches on the Indian vs foreign spec.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-indisanhorz.jpg

I guess these changes will be seen during the facelift when Hyundai does even more wonders on their cars.

My money is on the S-Cross!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 20:53   #824
BHPian

Lot is being said about S Cross and the way it looks. I am no fan of its looks and believe Maruti could have done a bit more. However, I believe one thing does work for S cross. It doesn't pretend to be something it is not. It is a crossover and that is what Maruti is marketing it as. Not a compact SUV not a urban SUV not any other fancy name.

Take a look at Ford website. Ecosport is listed as a SUV. Once Team bhp review is out or I get a chance to check out the car in person, I would love to know the places that this SUV can go that S Cross cannot.

Duster is capable, but again I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong) Renault markets it as an SUV.

Going by that, what would be the true competition to S cross?

Agreed general public is not bothered about what you name the car. But what it is.

In that, I believe a lot depends at what price SCross is launched. Invariably it will be compared against Duster, Ecosport and upcoming Creta. Maruti is offering a car which has well appointed interiors (way better than Duster and probably Ecosport too). Creta would better it I believe. Going by reports and Maruti's own credentials I m sure it would be the best handler. It looks spacious. More than Duster at rear. Ecosport frankly is not in the same league. Creta looks equally spacious.
SCross looks like having the best engine in the 1.6, however I would wait till the official review is out. But it is a good fight for sure.

Where it had a definite advantage over Hyundai was in the reach. But by deciding to sell SCross only through Nexa, is Maruti shooting itself on its foot? A big factor in the Maruti blockbuster stories is the incredibly high sales points compared to the competition. I believe only time will tell.

For the product, from what I see this looks every bit the car it pretends to be and is supposed to be. For direct competition to the Mini/compact/urban SUVs out there, Maruti has another trick in the pocket which will be out soon.

What they were doing some time back in the hatchback space, they ve now started to do the same in one segment above. Pack the segment with offerings. There would be canibalisation but better than losing customer to rivals.

Last edited by vibbs : 7th July 2015 at 20:57.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:03   #825
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As i mentioned in an earlier post - I believe Maruti should target the top end Honda Jazz diesel with the 1.3 diesel S-Cross and Ecosport with the 1.6 diesel S-Cross.
Come on, CrAzY dRiVeR, isn't it a bit too much to expect the S-Cross to compete against the likes of Jazz and EcoSport?

The Jazz is a sub-4m hatchback that competes directly against the i20, Polo etc. It's powered by 1.2 litre petrol and 1.5 litre diesel engines which (when combined with the sub-4m length) give it the advantage of the "small car" excise slab.

S-Cross is substantially bigger, more spacious, comfortable, feature-laden etc. compared to cars like Jazz, i20, Polo etc., not to mention its all-road abilities. Maruti Suzuki will have a product to compete against such premium sub-4m hatchbacks, but that would be the upcoming YRA / Fronx (and not the S-Cross).

The EcoSport is also a sub-4m crossover, which doesn't have a direct rival (yet). The upcoming YBA / Vitara Brezza would be its direct competitor from Maruti Suzuki, as would Mahindra's S101.

The direct rivals of the S-Cross happen to be the Duster-Terrano twins and the Creta.

All of them are 4m+ crossovers with even engine sizes that rival each other.

S-Cross' 90 PS 1.3 MJD would compete against the Creta's 90 PS 1.4 CRDi and the 85 PS 1.5 K9K of Duster & Terrano.

S-Cross' 120 PS 1.6 MJD would compete against the Creta's 128 PS 1.6 CRDi and the 110 PS 1.5 K9K of Duster & Terrano.

S-Cross does not have a petrol engine, so the Creta's 123 PS 1.6 Gamma would compete against the 104 PS 1.6 K4M of Duster & Terrano in the 4m+ petrol crossover segment.

When everything is so clear cut, why should Maruti Suzuki target sub-4m premium hatchbacks and crossovers (like Jazz & EcoSport) from lower segments, especially when their direct rivals would roll out from the Maruti Suzuki stables within a year?

Last edited by RSR : 7th July 2015 at 21:14.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread