Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2015, 15:32   #856
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

The first two pictures in the post above reminds me of the Baleno Altura.

Of course, that was much lower and longer. The rear glass and tail lights has a slight resemblance . It is not a looker for sure, but I would be glad if it keeps the driver in anyone happy.
Old 9th July 2015, 15:39   #857
BHPian

I agree with Volkman10. Its the pricing which would really decide on the fate of Scross. Whatever the result might be this year the automobile industry has seen some very welcome changes (Maruti going for performance oriented engines). Would have been more happy if safety features (ABS,EBD, AIRBAG Etc.) was mandated for all models of automobiles.

Have already booked Scross and keeping my fingers crossed , in case the vehicle goes beyond my budget my next booking would go to the Mahindra U301(SUPRO).

Last edited by Arindam_Nayek : 9th July 2015 at 15:48.
Old 9th July 2015, 16:41   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
May or may not be, but in the pic I hardly see anyone and you can't expect guys while driving to turn around at check it.
In all its reviews it was also stated that the S Cross is no looker, but it has other points which could tick for prospective customers.
I guess the market is more matured now and you cannot sell a car on looks alone.

The success of S Cross now purely rests on its pricing strategy!

S Cross is not the end of Maruti's CUV/SUV strategy, coming up shortly will be the Vitara Brezza, between the S Cross and Vitara their Compact segment strategy will work.
I agree! From all that has been revealed about the SCross, I like the overall package and don't really mind the understated looks. The single reason it does not work for me is it doesn't have an automatic. Considering MSIL is positioning SCross as its premium offering (first to be sold via its Nexa outlets) in urban markets, an AT version is a big miss.
Old 9th July 2015, 19:23   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
The single reason it does not work for me is it doesn't have an automatic. Considering MSIL is positioning SCross as its premium offering (first to be sold via its Nexa outlets) in urban markets, an AT version is a big miss.
This will be an issue for many and also customers who are not wanting Diesel would hop to Hyundai showroom for Creta! Not sure what is the main logic behind ONLY diesel launch by Maruti Suzuki.

A diesel AT is the need of the hour with absolutely no choice for customers and IMO it will be a cash cow if they do launch it now. What feedback the marketing survey have the top shot guys which made then delay the Petrol and AT option for launch!!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 19:49   #860
BHPian

For members in Bangalore who wants to see SCross in flesh. Got a call from NEXA relationship manager that the vehicle will be on display in Garuda mall ( M G Road ) from 10:30 AM.

Sad part is I won't be able to make it :-(
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 19:57   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Not sure what is the main logic behind ONLY diesel launch by Maruti Suzuki.

What feedback the marketing survey have the top shot guys which made then delay the Petrol and AT option for launch!!
Response to the Duster in petrol guise seem the reason for the diesel only release by Maruti.
Having said that, S Cross in China is to get the S Cross with K14B turbo petrol shortly.

On the diesel AT, as posted earlier, S Cross has been released in UK with the AT (AllGrip) in TCSS configuration ( Twin clutch Automatic).

After the launch and seeing the response, I guess we can see the above configurations in 2016.

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/02/s...e-china-168920

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th July 2015 at 20:12.
Old 9th July 2015, 19:57   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
For members in Bangalore who wants to see SCross in flesh. Got a call from NEXA relationship manager that the vehicle will be on display in Garuda mall ( M G Road ) from 10:30 AM.

Sad part is I won't be able to make it :-(

I like the term relationship manager. Sounds investment banking. Lol. Thanks. Will be driving by Garuda mall tomorrow. Will try and spend 10 mins there. The problem with mall display's is that they won't let you get within 10 feet of the car( cross). Frustrati.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:05   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For Bangalore it will be at Garuda mall- (10th or 17 th July?)
Launch date given to me is still 27th July ( not confirmed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
The display in strategic malls will happen in most Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities. Also seems the launch will happen by July end.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:25   #864
BHPian

Apologies for multiple posts the SCross will be in display at Garuda Mall tomorrow (July 10) from 10:30 AM. Will let the members know if the date is extended.

Hope Maruti has a interactive display similar to what FIAT did with Avventura. It would give a very good first hand experience to perspective customers.

Think Hyundai too is watching this closely. GAME ON !
Old 9th July 2015, 20:51   #865
Senior - BHPian

Well, after seeing it somewhat shop-soiled in a typical Indian monsoon environment, it simply does not tug at anything special in my heart. No doubt it will sell due to the 1.3 & 1.6 diesels plus the Maruti sales and service network.

My mind says 'try it!' But heart says it's only a large spacious FWD hatchback with body cladding. Hell, my Aveo had 180 mm ground clearance! Pricing is key for Maruti and I wish them the best of luck.

Get the AllGrip and the TCSS and I will certainly try it out.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:57   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well, after seeing it somewhat shop-soiled in a typical Indian monsoon environment, it simply does not tug at anything special in my heart. No doubt it will sell due to the 1.3 & 1.6 diesels plus the Maruti sales and service network.

My mind says 'try it!' But heart says it's only a large spacious FWD hatchback with body cladding. Hell, my Aveo had 180 mm ground clearance! Pricing is key for Maruti and I wish them the best of luck.

Get the AllGrip and the TCSS and I will certainly try it out.
I can understand a car not catching your fancy but that heart of yours certainly seems like it ought to be silenced if you are comparing your Aveo to an S Cross. Forget the fact that it is much more spacious, built way better comes with more features etc etc it can actually tackle rough roads unlike a typical hatchback. It is a proper crossover and if you cannot wrap your heart around the concept of a low-slung (which has far more advantages when it comes to dynamic capabilities) crossover, perhaps you ought to try using your head more often

You really only would need AllGrip if you plan on using the car a lot in the snow which we in India don't really have. It is sad to see such failed logic pose as the truth in certain folk's minds (or should I say hearts)

Oh and before anyone gets offended, please realize that I am not trying to convince you that this is a car you ought to buy. If you prefer to sacrifice dynamic ability and high speed confidence for something taller and more "butch" with no functional advantages whatsoever, be my guest. I am merely challenging the way you so confidently yet wrongly perceive a product.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th July 2015 at 20:59.
IshaanIan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 21:48   #867
BHPian

Handed over my booking amount of 11000 to the Mandovi Nexa SA earker today - with this I have a booking for the Jazz as well as the S- Cross.

While the Jazz VX ticks most boxes, I'm not too convinced about the close to 11 lakh OTR, especially given the fact that the Ecosport is priced just over a lakh.

I hope we have the benefit of a TBHP preview of the S-Cross, a la the Creta.
pannags is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 22:33   #868
BHPian

Its true that there is quite a lot of bashing you ll have to go through on owning a Maruti and being with the crowd. A maruti will be bashed first by the auto journos, then the 'enthusiasts' and then by people who buy cars with their dad's money. I think majority of people bashing it have not got the idea of its size and utility. Just see the below picture clips from a video comparing it with the duster. Its true its an overgrown hatch. To be frank I feel like removing those claddings, those horrible tail lamps and alloys and replace them with body coloured bits and better looking tail lamps and alloys.

I am sure I ll be buying it for a large hatchback. True it might not sell like a swift or a ciaz, but I m sure, some day at least the 1.6 ll be lauded as a sleeper.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-dust-vs-eco.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-duster-vs-s-cross.jpg  

sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 23:02   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I can understand a car not catching your fancy but that heart of yours certainly seems like it ought to be silenced if you are comparing your Aveo to an S Cross. Forget the fact that it is much more spacious, built way better comes with more features etc etc it can actually tackle rough roads unlike a typical hatchback. It is a proper crossover and if you cannot wrap your heart around the concept of a low-slung (which has far more advantages when it comes to dynamic capabilities) crossover, perhaps you ought to try using your head more often

You really only would need AllGrip if you plan on using the car a lot in the snow which we in India don't really have. It is sad to see such failed logic pose as the truth in certain folk's minds (or should I say hearts)

Oh and before anyone gets offended, please realize that I am not trying to convince you that this is a car you ought to buy. If you prefer to sacrifice dynamic ability and high speed confidence for something taller and more "butch" with no functional advantages whatsoever, be my guest. I am merely challenging the way you so confidently yet wrongly perceive a product.
Luckily hearts and minds (and the failed logic) are unique to each individual else the world would be a truly boring place! On reading your patronizing post, I thought through and guess what, I could not change my opinion that the S Cross (unless priced at an abnormally low level) will flop as compared to other Maruti product volumes.

To be blunt, it lacks that elusive cachet and pedigree, the design already looks dated, lacks an USP like the AllGrip or a 6 speed automatic. The saving graces is the Maruti brand and the pricing. Any issue in the pricing and it will turn out to be another Kizashi or Versa.
Old 9th July 2015, 23:26   #870
BHPian

Default A comparison of relative sizes

A comparison of relative sizes
The Ciaz is 16 cm and the Honda City is 14 cm longer than the S Cross
The Duster is 1.5 cm longer and has a wheelbase longer by 6 cm but the cabin is small
The creta will be 3 cm shorter, will have almost the same wheel base and will be 2 cm wider and aroud 4-5 cm taller.

Figure is not excactly on an engineering scale
Rough estimate only
Pardon this non-mathematics biology man

For the Aveo man - The Aveo sedan is 1 cm shorter, wheel base is a whole 13 cm shorter. For reference an Arjun or HMT tractor will have more GC.
Attached Images

Last edited by sandygordon : 9th July 2015 at 23:32.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread