Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2015, 23:46   #871
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Luckily hearts and minds (and the failed logic) are unique to each individual else the world would be a truly boring place! On reading your patronizing post, I thought through and guess what, I could not change my opinion that the S Cross (unless priced at an abnormally low level) will flop as compared to other Maruti product volumes.

To be blunt, it lacks that elusive cachet and pedigree, the design already looks dated, lacks an USP like the AllGrip or a 6 speed automatic. The saving graces is the Maruti brand and the pricing. Any issue in the pricing and it will turn out to be another Kizashi or Versa.
USPs were the allgrip and the auto box. True. But those tech will shoot the prices sky high.

Moreover looks are sujective. I feel this car has a bit of a personality of its own. Definitely not the stir that it created in my heart when I saw the Swift 1.3 way back in 2005.
Design is boring (better than an a star and ritz though) and I m pretty sure it ll not reach even Ciaz numbers. Ciazes now sold are mainly the 1.4 petrol and the auto especially in the cities. But I am sure it ll sell more than the i20 active, avventura, polo cross or the etios cross. Ecosport numbers might come down. The niche customers will still go for the polo GTs, t jets and vento dsgs, those numbers will remain the same. I too with my all my heart would love to own a GT tsi or a T jet, but the accountant and the boring logic-man in my brain is pulling me back and pushing me towards this "chok". (Chok for reference is a thai dish they feed to babies and old people -From hangover part 2). Hoping to find some thrills in the MJD.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 08:57   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am sure I ll be buying it for a large hatchback. True it might not sell like a swift or a ciaz, but I m sure, some day at least the 1.6 ll be lauded as a sleeper.

The only piece that isn't fitting well with the car is those alloys. Even the existing design will be good if they remove that thin stipe between the larger stripes. I think it will look kind of like the alloys in Duster. Still better than the current version. They could have given the other alloy shown in the pics in cars abroad as a accessory. Not sure if they have that idea or if a different alloy is going to be pitched as an accessory at all.

I love the tail lamps actually. Has a lot going for it in the way it extends to the hatch door and the clear lens design makes it looks like it has eyes at the back as well.

Elite i20 wins the award for the best tail lamps in the below 10L category but I think this is better than what most competition offers.

Finally, the word 'Sleeper'. You said it. It is nice to have a car so understated that no one would believe there is a beast inside it.
120kmph at around 2000rpm, a few people are going to be disappointed for not being able to stick with this hatch on the highways

I am looking for an Automatic car but if reviews are favorable to the S-Cross, I might just be tempted to look towards it even if I need to undergo driving lessons once more.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 10th July 2015 at 08:59.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:26   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Before checking out the car today, here is the another review!

Quote:
We were driving out on the highways as well as on broken country roads. but the S-Cross managed to keep the jerks away.
Quote:
Fire up the motor and the S-Cross feels refined. NVH levels are well contained and there’s not too much of diesel clatter heard inside the cabin while idling.
Slot it in first, and the DDiS 320 motor crawls with ease. Within the city, the 1st & 2nd gears are most useful along with 3rd which is a bit tall taking care of your traffic signal sprints. The clutch lever is light & also, gear gates are well defined along with short throws.
Quote:
The clutch lever is also of the self adjusting type, a first for Maruti Suzuki. Steering wheel is light as well. This makes city driving very easy & given the almost hatchback like dimensions, the S-Cross is easier to live with in traffic situations.
Quote:
Out on the highway, the S-Cross when pushed hard sprints to triple digits with ease. 3rd gear is so tall, it helps the car achieve speeds well over 110 kmph. Engine on high RPMs is a bit audible, but that’s the case with almost every diesel motor. On 100 kmph in top gear, the S-Cross cruises lazily around 1,750 RPM. Moving much higher on the speedo is also easy & the engine doesn’t really feel strained doing so.
Quote:
The downside of this 1.6L Multijet though is the turbo-lag. Below 1,500 RPM, there’s very little action. We tried roll-on acceleration from 55 – 60 kmph in 6th gear, and the S-Cross took more than 10 seconds to actually get going. Same in 5th gear as well. So when speeds drop, we recommend that you downshift rather than flooring the accelerator as that would do very little about your expectations.
Quote:
Steering feedback from the EPS unit is average, and will keep users happy. Enthusiasts will also find it acceptable as it is much better than the vague units on the Hyundai’s. There’s no dead area in the centre though, so on high speeds, you need to keep a firm hand on the wheel as slight movement can change directions.
Quote:
Ride quality of the S-Cross is really good & the suspension setup keeps the car composed at city & high speeds.
Quote:
Braking performance comes backed by all four disc brakes coupled with ABS. The stock JK tyres also work well in dry as well as wet surfaces with decent grip. However, they want to squeal at the slightest of opportunities be it a hard corner or hard braking.
Quote:
So, should you buy the S-Cross?
Compared to the competition it does lack the wow factor, but then, to each his own.
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutisuzukiscrossreview01.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutisuzukiscrossreview19.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutisuzukiscrossreview08.jpg

http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/0...-cross-review/
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:12   #874
BHPian

My only fear is the price for the 1.6. If priced close to the top end duster, many would shy away from it. It seems to be a strategy by Maruti. Show the enthusiasts and joulnalists the 1.6 and sell the 1.3s to the loyalists. Even the SA at Sai service was surprised when I opted for the 1.6. According to him I was the first one to book the 1.6 in Kochi. If Maruti prices it well, like say 12.5-13 L OTR for the 1.6,the margins will be low. The SA even tried to dissuade me by telling that the 1.6 wil be priced close to 15L OTR.

May be I will have to opt for the 1.3. One more thing I cant believe is the 0-100 timings for the 1.3 given by Maruti ie 13.3 secs. Even the lighter Ciaz takes more than 15 seconds to reach 100. May be it is in a different state of tune.

Last edited by sandygordon : 10th July 2015 at 10:14.
Old 10th July 2015, 11:50   #875
BHPian

I got a call from my sales rep this morning, the car is being displayed at Phoenix Mall starting today.

There would not be any test drives happening but can see the car in flesh.
Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 12:04   #876
BHPian

I got a call from NEXA. He said the estimated pricing is 8 - 14L OTR Bangalore, give or take 30k. Did any one else get the similar info? How reliable is this?
octane_100 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 12:16   #877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I can understand a car not catching your fancy but that heart of yours certainly seems like it ought to be silenced if you are comparing your Aveo to an S Cross. Forget the fact that it is much more spacious, built way better comes with more features etc etc it can actually tackle rough roads unlike a typical hatchback. It is a proper crossover and if you cannot wrap your heart around the concept of a low-slung (which has far more advantages when it comes to dynamic capabilities) crossover, perhaps you ought to try using your head more often

You really only would need AllGrip if you plan on using the car a lot in the snow which we in India don't really have. It is sad to see such failed logic pose as the truth in certain folk's minds (or should I say hearts)

Oh and before anyone gets offended, please realize that I am not trying to convince you that this is a car you ought to buy. If you prefer to sacrifice dynamic ability and high speed confidence for something taller and more "butch" with no functional advantages whatsoever, be my guest. I am merely challenging the way you so confidently yet wrongly perceive a product.
Excellently put Ishaan.

Only disagreement? Some of us up north can put the AllGrip to good use on Gurgaon roads and snow in Manali (a 2WD fortuner was stuck day before yesterday while trying to go through a bad stretch of rain filled road!)

With the time soon coming to retire the Swift (1 year max), I'm seriously considering an AWD vehicle for peace of mind in Gurgaon

Unfortunately, for now, that means the duster.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 13:11   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

As cars are being displayed, here is the caffeine brown .
Indicative prices in Bangalore, from dealers are 8 - 14 lakhs (OTR)

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150709234555.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150709234631.jpg

Source: Automotive India
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 13:16   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Indicative prices in Bangalore, from dealers are 8 - 14 lakhs (OTR)
8L OTR Bangalore? That means about 7L for 1.3L Sigma base variant? Unbelievably low. Must be 8L Ex-showroom.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th July 2015 at 13:17.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:18   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I like the term relationship manager. Sounds investment banking. Lol. Thanks. Will be driving by Garuda mall tomorrow. Will try and spend 10 mins there. The problem with mall display's is that they won't let you get within 10 feet of the car( cross). Frustrati.
Hey Arjun, did you get a chance to check out the S-Cross?

I'm a bit surprised they picked Garuda Mall (no offense), given that fact that there are umpteen other better locations (read Phoenix Market City, Orion Mall etc.)

Here's more on my booking experience - the Nexa "relationship manager" had my cheque picked up in person and sought all details needed for booking over e-mail. She mentioned that I will be informed as soon a vehicle is available to see, and subsequently TD. The exact variant and colour could be finalised, if and after I'm really satisfied with the performace and pricing.

In contrast, the Honda "Sales Adviser" buzzed me and asked me to confirm my booking immediately if I wanted an Aug/Sep delivery. He thinks I'm being unreasonable in asking for a TD before having to choose the car. Apparently, he has no clue when the TD vehicle would be available.

I'm getting to understand why Maruti's PSS and ASS are a benchmark in the industry. A long-term loyalist easily takes this for granted!
Old 10th July 2015, 13:23   #881
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Had an exchange with a relationship manager from Bimal Nexa. They just contacted me with the details I'm provided on their nexaexperience website, I would guess.

Launch is on 23rd is what I heard. This weekend starting today, the S-Cross is on display at Garuda mall (maybe sponsored by Kalyani NEXA (a guy from Kalyani called me up too. Their NEXA showroom coming up in JP nagar). The RM from Bimal NEXA said they'll have the car at Phoenix Market City next weekend (their NEXA showroom coming up in Mahadevapura ORR opp. to EMC2 company).

₹11000 booking amount, completely refundable. NEXA Showroom at Mahadevapura under construction and will be up by launch date (last week of this month). Anyone need a RM contact from here, PM me. Will be glad to slip his number.

Considering booking it for standing early in line for delivery [I also like the car] (deliveries will start from August, but I didn't get a date).

Edit: tentative price I got for top variant Alpha 1.6 DDiS 320 was approx 13.5L OTR. (that would bring it around 11.3L ex-showroom I suppose).

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th July 2015 at 13:26. Reason: Added tentative price info
Old 10th July 2015, 14:06   #882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
8L OTR Bangalore? That means about 7L for 1.3L Sigma base variant? Unbelievably low. Must be 8L Ex-showroom.
Yes it is for the base variant 1.3 (Sigma). He was stressing on the OTR part of the pricing. They have~ 35 bookings in this particular Nexa showroom. Not sure how accurate the dealer pricing would be though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
This weekend starting today, the S-Cross is on display at Garuda mall (maybe sponsored by Kalyani NEXA (a guy from Kalyani called me up too. Their NEXA showroom coming up in JP nagar). The RM from Bimal NEXA said they'll have the car at Phoenix Market City next weekend (their NEXA showroom coming up in Mahadevapura ORR opp. to EMC2 company).
Displays at Strategic Malls are sponsored by Maruti Suzuki. Relationship managers of all NEXA showrooms will be available to take your bookings based on your preferred Nexa dealer.

In Bangalore display will be on 11th July - 10 am

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th July 2015 at 14:15.
Old 10th July 2015, 16:04   #883
BHPian

I just came back from the Garuda Mall where the S Cross is displayed in all its racy blue splendor! A few quick observations:
  • Excess leg room for rear passengers; in the league of the much larger XUV, I daresay!
  • The rear seat backrest seemed a little too upright to me, even in it's reclined state. Other's to please ratify.
  • 3 in the rear seat is a tight fit for the shoulders. I actually verfied it by requesting the two salespersons to occupy the rear bench with me. The rearward protruding armrest is also a bit of a bother for the center passenger. Leg room, as I said is just not a problem for the other 2 passengers.
  • Interior quality is the best I have seen in cars under 15 Lac, that includes the City, Ciaz, Duster, Terrano, new XUV and even the >15 Lac Cruze! Lemme just say that the Jetta too does not boast of a soft touch dash like this baby! Let's wait and see what the Creta brings to the table.
  • Average road presence; looks like a large hatch, which is what it actually is. Looks smart, I should add. In person, it comes across as quite a well proportioned and cohesive design.
  • Door open indicator shows the status of each door independently.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150710_143544_hdr.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150710_144510_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by rednikhil : 10th July 2015 at 16:12.
rednikhil is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 16:14   #884
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
May be I will have to opt for the 1.3. One more thing I cant believe is the 0-100 timings for the 1.3 given by Maruti ie 13.3 secs. Even the lighter Ciaz takes more than 15 seconds to reach 100. May be it is in a different state of tune.
Please ensure to TD both, bearing your needs, road/traffic conditions and driving style in mind.

0-100 times are a worthless measure most times, especially for small-displacement turbocharged cars. The 1.3 mjd is a champion engine in-gear, say from 20 to 60 or 40 to 100 kph, several seconds faster/better than the Hyundai 1.4, the Ford 1.5 and the Honda 1.6 diesel too (on comparable cars). That's just the way the torque-curve of this engine is. A lot depends on the gear ratios too.

The smaller diesel then may not be much of a compromise on this, still pretty light car.

Of course the sheer lustiness of the 1.6's incredible torque must bear, at least, several long TDs with little intention of a purchase, that's for sure! No?
Old 10th July 2015, 16:21   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
I just came back from the Garuda Mall where the S Cross is displayed in all its racy blue splendor!
Nice first hand review from a BHPian.

RM ( Relationship Manager) was saying official display is on 11th, guess this is in 'pre-display' for tomorrow.

Pricing seem to be the key, 1.6 Zeta was indicated as ~ 10.5(max)L ex-showroom

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img20150710wa0005.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th July 2015 at 16:46.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread