Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2015, 15:10   #901
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Thing about reviews is that its difficult to realize who yo believe and who not. While all the reports have been appreciating the improved interiors, one of them even going to an extent to call it as best in sub 15l category, we have some comparinh it with swift.

I think we should wait and experience it in person before making up the mind. Its difficult to compare two products that have not been tested back to back.
Old 11th July 2015, 16:17   #902
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Indian Autos Blog reviews the Maruti S-Cross. Pretty neutral and unbiased report.
It looks like the reviewers of Indianautosblog and Team-BHP are best friends forever when it comes to test drives.

First, we had Vid6639 starring in IAB's Jazz test drive.

Now, we have parrys starring in IAB's S-Cross test drive.

Who is going to star in IAB's Creta test drive?
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 18:23   #903
Senior - BHPian

So,my friend and bhpian Vishal Joshi gets a call from the Nexa guys to come over at infinity mall,malad west. Since i too was eyeing the 1.6,jumped into the opportunity to visit the mall to have a look.

They had the top variant of the 1.3 on display.My ten cents-

1-Build Quality seems to be better though you don't get the reassuring thud like the European cars when you close the the doors.
2-Excellent rear leg room even with the front seats full retracted (I am 5-8 and 100+ weight).
3-Projector headlights with HID.
3-Has a dead pedal.
4-Adjustable front arm rest.
5-OE standard music system.
6- Adjustable steering column.
7-Height adjustable seat belts.
8-The car was shod with 16 inch JK elanzos.Hate the alloys,rear brake caliper is top mounted.
9-Usb port of the entertainment system is inside the front arm rest,no more cluttering of wires below the AC controls or the glove compartment.
10-Navneet will be opening the Nexa dealership in Andheri west.
11-Boot is big.
12- Booking amount 11k,fully refundable.

Design is not eyecatching but the blue colour looks good. I am looking forward for buying the 1.6 to replace my 5 yr old swift.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th July 2015 at 18:25.
rakesh_r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 20:23   #904
BHPian

Saw the car at Lulu Mall cochin
Points to note (my perspective)

1. This is a big hatch (does not look a x-over in India) pretending to be a x-over because such ground clearances are common for hatches and sedans in india. The cladding does not attract much attention, maybe because the color I saw was brown.

2. Interiors feel premium to some extent, steering feel (touch) comparable to the likes of vento / verna. Dashboard is better than the VW or the City.

3. Seats are large, but can be compared only to the swift. (Swift has the biggest seat among hatches)

4. Good rear seat space, better than the verna,vento and dzire. Knee room is good, not as good as in the ciaz or city, better than other c segmenters.

5. Those 16 inchers with 205 do not look like they are 16. Look closely and its then you start appreciating the size of the car. Interacted with some non bhpians checking out the car. They feel this to be Maruti's competetion for the i20. They were shown the size of the car and they were not convinced until a few of them sat inside the car. This in my point will be S cross's Achille's heel. They should park the car near swift in showrooms to make them feel the size. Else S cross will be pushed aside as Marutis overpriced i20 competitor. I think Maruti should focus on the size and feel of the hatch rather than labelling it premium or x-over and selling it. If seen in isolation it will look just like an overgrown swift. Maruti.. Are you listening?

6. Compared to Ecosport, if similarly priced this will be a run away winner, but no one will take it for an suv kind of look. This is where Maruti should focus on convincing the customer that this is an ecosport alternative (They ll never be able to do that). I am convinced but majority will not be. I loved the car. For me its the poor man's BMW X1 (atleast the looks of it - The X1 looks far better).

7. For people considering an suv like cross over Creta will win them over. So if Maruti does not price it right, it will be a total failure. I think Maruti sales team is aware of these and the disadvantageous position they are in. Reliability is known for a Maruti. Can they price it 1-2 L lesser than the Creta ? I dont know. If they do so they ll have a winner in their hands. Else people like me will be driving an exclusive rare suzuki sleeper
sandygordon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 21:23   #905
BHPian

@Pune guys any idea if S Cross is being displayed in any of the Malls. I was at Seasons and Amanora today but no signs of the car here.
Old 11th July 2015, 22:28   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
@Pune guys any idea if S Cross is being displayed in any of the Malls. I was at Seasons and Amanora today but no signs of the car here.
Today, it was in Lower Ground Floor, Phoenix Mall (Nagar Rd).
Raja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 23:07   #907
BHPian

Default Some snaps

Tall person like me (185cm) can fit well. Seats as big as those in the swift, (would have loved bigger) quite snug, leather feels good. Dont expect commanding view of the road, but ll be better than the high dashboarded citys and the ciazes.
Rear seat back is a bit upright, but roomy and has excellent under thigh support. My big frame fits well. You sit a bit taller than the front passengers.

Front looks okay Can be a head turner.
Wheels (16R with 205 section looks puny). Alloys look awful
Those wheel arches can only be filled by 17 inch X 215 section tyres
Lights with HID look awesome
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-1.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-2.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-3.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-4.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-5.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-6.jpg  

sandygordon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 23:11   #908
BHPian

I got a chance to check it out at Garuda Mall, Bangalore. The interior is really spacious, the foot well is amazing and the seats are really comfortable. The only thing I found annoying was that I couldn't rest my right elbow on the window sill (not sure if that's what its called) its just too narrow. I had to lower the steering and rest my elbows on the lower door handle section, not sure if that is comfortable in town although on the highway it should be .

I found the boot wasn't really deep, although the (full size?)spare is neatly tucked away underneath. The clearance is 180mm, so it should be good on bad stretches. The sales guy said that premium customers don't want petrol as the fuel efficiency of the diesel was too hard to ignore. They had also managed a few bookings although the launch will happen only towards the end of this month.
Old 12th July 2015, 07:16   #909
BHPian

This should be a worthy tyre upgrade I feel...
Inputs requested.
Attached Images

Old 12th July 2015, 11:07   #910
BHPian

Has anyone seen the (non-touchscreen) audio system in the Indian Delta spec?

I was watching the WhatCar review of the S-cross on youtube and it had this tasty music system, which looks far better than the silly Smartplay system in the Zeta and the Alpha models.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-stereo.jpg  

d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 11:21   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Now, we have parrys starring in IAB's S-Cross test drive.
Parrys is no longer with team bhp (in official capacity)
Eddy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 11:42   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi Vibbs,

I saw the SCross at the MyCar stockyard in Wakad. They have a 1.3 DDiS in the brown color (Alpha). You can contact the MyCar people for a preview.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150711_164515861.jpg  

Last edited by Ritzvxi : 12th July 2015 at 11:57.
Ritzvxi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 12:13   #913
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Parrys is no longer with team bhp (in official capacity).
Oh! Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

I think my previous comment (and this one as well) can be deleted now as the "best friends forever" joke isn't applicable. Thanks!

Last edited by RSR : 12th July 2015 at 12:14.
Old 12th July 2015, 14:03   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Had seen the S Cross at Garuda Mall (today's sponsor was by Bimal). Quite impressed with the Quality and the Crossover in total.

What will further close on the deal for me will be:
1. TBHP review
2, Test drive

Will narrow on the 1.6 Zeta or 1.3 Alpha.

Rest seen in pics - S Cross- DDiS 200 Alpha.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_114443.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_121138.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_114708.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_114909.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_115415.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_115509.jpg

Full sized spare wheel - Steel
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_115718.jpg

Boot- Light
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_115732.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_120107.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_120206.jpg

HID - Projector light
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-20150712_120343.jpg

Last edited by noopster : 13th July 2015 at 19:51. Reason: Grammar
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 17:42   #915
BHPian

So, the wife wants to go shopping and the kids want to catch "Inside Out". Instinctively, I book the 10am show @ Inox, Garuda Mall, the venue where the S Cross is being displayed @ Bangalore; having not had enough of it in my previous visit on friday! After watching the movie, which I thought was rather good and though animated, not at all a kiddie-only movie, i was again glued to the S Cross, this time with the ladies in toe. Having spent a long afternoon soaking in the car, here is my perception based purely on the look & feel, the specs (of the 1.6 DDIS) and on video reviews by Autocar etc. The S Cross is a unique offering; there is nothing quite like it in the Indian market. It seems the car is fast, is a reasonably good handler, has a good ride, is spacious, is high on quality and on reliability as well. The target customer in my opinion is someone who always wanted (but could not have) a compact and spacious performance car in a reliable avatar; with a service backup that is high on honesty, efficiency, economy and availability- it is that guy's dream come true! This definitely is NOT a SUV/ Pseudo SUV like the Duster or the forthcoming Creta. Now awaiting the official review for the gospel on S Cross!
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-teambhp.jpg  

Last edited by rednikhil : 12th July 2015 at 18:02.
rednikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread