Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2015, 18:38   #916
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Having paid the advance of 11k towards scross, we also went to catch a glimpse of this beauty in Garuda mall in Bangalore today. Following are my impressions and take away:

1. There were quite a lot of people queued up to see this car, so it was bit of a pushing around to get into all parts of the car. Saw many on the spot bookings done too by people.

2. I felt the car looked much better than it looked in photos. Interiors are classy as everyone pointed out.

3. Good leg room in back seat too, but felt the width of the back seat coupled with bump in the floor in middle is bit of struggle for the 3rd passenger. This is one place where I am bit disappointed with and eagerly looking forward to Creta to compare. Hope creta offers better space and flat floor.

4. Quite impressed with lot of cup/bottle holders.

Overall, it gives a satisfactory feeling from the look and feel of the car. Eagerly looking forward to the test drive and also looking forward to check Creta in person to compare and finalize on my next car.
Indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 22:32   #917
BHPian

Ok so booked for Minions at Phoenix Market city Pune. Main reason to choose Phoenix was to catch SCross which was on display there.

My observations on seeing the car.

1. It looks better in flesh than in photos. The car in display was blue and must say it goes well with the design. It still doesn't wow you over with looks but definitely not something that would be a deal breaker for me.

2. It looks decently sized. I do not mean like an SUV, but this is a long and wide enough car. There was quite a buzz with lot of people queueing in to see it so could not have a long shot view of the car, but from close quarters it has presence.

3. It rides low for a crossover (or that's what I felt), hence expect it to handle quite well.

4. You don't climb in, nor do you sink in. Should keep most people happy with ingress.

5. Front seats are very comfortable. And cabin space at front is impressive. You won't be rubbing elbows with the Co passenger while driving. Driver armrest is wide. Quite a few bottle holders as well.

6. Interior material is good quality. How good?
Well, my wife is not a car buff so I asked her what she felt about the feel in the inside. She said quality looks good for a Maruti. Well that's what I feel too. The dash has soft touch plastics which lend premium feel. But the center console feels too plasticky. I felt that the lower variants without the touch screen looked better and more well integrated.

7. The power window switches, ORVM controls etc have an uncanny similarity to Swift. Not what you expect from a premium car. Overall I felt that though interior quality is improved, it still falls short of what Hyundai offers. Does it justify premium tag based on quality of interiors? Strictly compared to another Maruti. Yes.

8. Rear seats are wide and can seat 3. The seats themselves felt comfortable. Backrest can be reclined. Leg room and knee room is generous. After adjusting the front seat to my favourite position, there was still a lot of space at back. I felt it was more spacious than Duster at the back.

9. Boot is moderately spacious. Why I say so is because Jazz manages similar boot size in a car that's shorter than 4 meters.

All in all its a mixed feeling. I really need to drive it in order to form an opinion. Hyundais still feel more premium, and Jazz is as spacious. It all boils down to what all S Cross can take that an Elite i20/ i20 active and Jazz cannot take and also on how much better is the 1.6 MJD compared to the CRDI of Hyundais and IDTEC of Honda. Of course there is price factor too.

I understand SCross is a crossover and comparing it with premium Hatchbacks is probably not the right thing. However at this stage, I would refrain from using term crossover etc and prefer considering it as a big car. That is spacious, comfortable, is of decent quality and has a good enough engine.

Will I buy one?

Well all I can say is, if I was in the market to buy a new car, I have not seen anything in the SCross that will prevent me from buying it. However I already have a couple of reasons to buy it. It looks like a mature car. Don't know if Indian market is ready for it. If the engine is as good as it looks on paper and the car drives like a good Maruti should with a decent ride quality then I would definitely buy one unless Maruti messes up the pricing? Eyes all set on the pricing and detailed team bhp review for now.

BTW the car on display was a DDIS200. The 'relationship manager' was of the opinion that base variant DDIS 320 will be priced around 10.5 ex showroom Pune.
vibbs is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 05:11   #918
BHPian

Is there any pictures of lower trim levels of s-cross? It was mentioned that the lower trim levels dont have HID projection head-lamps. So what do they have? Halogen + Projectors? Or just plain old clear lens headlamps with bulbs?
Old 13th July 2015, 05:19   #919
BHPian

Yes.. The key would be pricing. If they can price the 1.3 alpha at 11.5L OTR and 1.6 OTR below 13.5L OTR it can have reasonable success. But if they price it on par with the crest or duster 1.6 might end up as kisashi did.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:36   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvk84 View Post
Is there any pictures of lower trim levels of s-cross? It was mentioned that the lower trim levels dont have HID projection head-lamps. So what do they have? Halogen + Projectors? Or just plain old clear lens headlamps with bulbs?
See these spy shots from Indian faclity
Clear lens headlamps without day time running lights and projectors
Plain old SX4 headlamps
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-head.jpg  

sandygordon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 10:53   #921
Senior - BHPian

Default The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
See these spy shots from Indian faclity

Clear lens headlamps without day time running lights and projectors

Plain old SX4 headlamps

Yup, these are three different models. The farthest one doesn't have indicators on the wing mirrors, while the nearest one has projector headlamps. One cannot see the nearest ones fog lamps, but I'd wager that they are there, while the farthest one doesn't have em.

Looks like Maruti is treating the variants like they do their regular cars rather than the premium crossover they advertised. Not a good strategy, imho.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 10:58   #922
Team-BHP Support

Yes, different models. The farthest one has black roofrails.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 11:02   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Looks like Maruti is treating the variants like they do their regular cars rather than the premium crossover they advertised. Not a good strategy, imho.
Agree. I believe there should not be any drastic differences in looks between the top and bottom trim levels. Projector lamps is one of such things which changes the looks of a car markedly.

Now I am wondering how much easy/difficult will be to fit HID projectors on a lower trim level S-Cross. If we can swap the company fitted clear lens headlamps to the projector lamps just like we swap alloys, it may not be that much of a concern.

Last edited by jvk84 : 13th July 2015 at 11:05. Reason: Spelling
jvk84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 11:26   #924
BHPian

Well how we all think alike on this forum!

S-Cross is different, the moment I saw Scross in flesh, I remembered the Tata Estate and Ford Fusion (Cars which were introduced well ahead of their time). It is a car which you cannot compare with any other offering in today's market.

- On hearing the tentative OTR of the 320 DDiS Alpha, I was like ! But the sales guy also said that we are here to create a new segment, we have a head start and Maruti doesn't generally go wrong with the pricing! Mixed signals!

- 1.6/320 DDiS top end (ALPHA) could touch 14L OTR.

- 200 DDiS Alpha around 10-11L OTR.

- A probable difference of around 70K in between Zeta and Alpha. You only miss out on the high end features like auto headlamp, leather seats, HID lamps, position lamps. I believe 200 Zeta and Delta is where the numbers will come from. (around 8.5-9 L)

- No variant names on the car, only the well trained eyes would be able to distinguish between the variants.

- Pune has has been allotted three Nexa dealers (MyCar, Kothari and Sai Service).

- My better half did like the car, she said it could be an ideal upgrade from the Ritz but she also said that the Maruti feel is still omnipresent. but i don't mind it.

What I felt about the car:
- Good Fit and Finish (scope for improvement)
- You expect a little more boot space, looking at the length of the car
- Unusually long bonnet
- Tiny steering wheel, the sales guy said (adds to the sporty look)
- Lots of storage bins around the driver
- Head room feels smaller than my Ritz (for the driver's seat)
- The alloys don't look as bad as they appear to be in the pictures
- Huge legroom at the rear(I am 5'11 and the other guy trying the driver's seat was almost 6'3, we were able to sit behind each other)
- Huge parcel tray
- Very hard to notice any petty cost cutting, the wheel wells are cladded, the bonnet is heavily cladded, the insides of the hatch door is covered!
- Charging point and lamp in the boot
- Steering has rack and reach adjustment
- The rear seat recline, feels likee a gimmick

My wish list:
- It doesn't WOW you!
- I wish the car had been bit taller
- The rear seat under thigh support is lacking
- So want to drive the 200 DDiS
- The rear seat cup-holder feels like an after thought.

No matter what but you don't want to ignore this car! I am happy, GOOD JOB MSIL!

Last edited by Ritzvxi : 13th July 2015 at 11:30.
Ritzvxi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 12:30   #925
BHPian

I have been to Garuda mall to see the S-Cross in flesh and returned impressed.
Oh yes, I too handed a booking to the Bimal Nexa guys who promised to deliver by August end.

I own a Ritz VDI for last 3+ years and very happy with the car. But, it's small for people with good build and hence looking for an upgrade. For the last couple of weeks I have been test driving some of the cars and here are my observations which might help some of the prospective buyers.

I20 Sportz CRDI:
I am sorry, but this is not a driver's car. The handling is scary, the suspension is too soft. The fit and finish may be premium, but hyundai needs to work on the driving dynamics. It retails 9.36L on road.

Zest QJD:
Complete VFM. Quality leaps and bounds over typical Tata. Rides well, good equipment level, nice power delivery and space is good enough for the sub 4 meter sedan. And the on road price Bangalore is 8.28L for XMS diesel. That's a steal if we can forget Tata history. It's definitely a short list.

Ciaz VDI+:
Now you must be wondering why a big sedan? The answer is :
Acres of space.
Feels premium.
Quietest cockpit.
Rides good.
And 11.28 on road. This is just below 2L premium over i20 sportz and what you get is something of Verna territory, but a much better/bigger car. Would have gone with it, but enters the S-Cross.

S-Cross:
Is it premium? Yes it is if we compare with Maruti cars and other cars in that segment.
I haven't driven it, but this is just my point of view.

Space- Yes it's 4300 mm. You can say it's a big hatch rather than a small SUV. The seats are good with nice thigh support. My friend who is 6.1" had 2 inches to spare even I pushed the driver seat to the extreme back. I think people who prefer hatchback over a sedan, this is for you.

Premiumness- Yes for me considering the base price tag below 10L, some people might differ. The fit and finish is good enough to be sold via Nexa.

Exterior - You need to see it in flesh to start admiring it. It's a unique design and a much better looking car. The blue color is awesome and I think white will also be equally good.

The sales guy told the price might start from 8L to 8.5L. So my guess is Sigma(0) which is decently equipped will cost 10.5L on road. I am going to say Maruti is going to launch 7.99L or 8.49L ex-showroom for the base variant.

So good luck to all who have booked and others it's worth consideration.
Maruti, listen to the pulse of buyers and price it sensibly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2015 at 13:39. Reason: Corrected the driving part. Thanks!
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:12   #926
Senior - BHPian

Looks so much like Captiva in above pic. Which is a good thing or bad is up to buyers to decide.
Old 13th July 2015, 13:25   #927
BHPian

I know that we have not had any reviews of feedback regarding the DDiS200, but I'm sure a vast majority of buyers are also eyeing the "national engine" configuration, thanks to the proven credentials, and perhaps, relatively "reasonable" pricing.

Given the experience from the Ciaz and Ertiga, can someonle clarify how different the DDiS320 and DDiS200 are anticipated to be, especially when it comes to ease of driving at low speeds and the need to shift constantly?

I understand that the beastly 320 NM and 120 odd BHP translate to much better acceleration and top speeds, respectively.
Old 13th July 2015, 14:29   #928
BHPian

Having read the reviews in various on-line sites and having seen few video reviews as well and having seen the various comments in this thread and other on-line sites I think I can fairly summarise the following to be the key 'cons' of this vehicle.

1. It's not a looker. Does not have the butch look or the SUV look. [But looks are subjective. S-cross does not have an ugly look and I don't think this would be a major factor.]

2. Turbo lag in DDiS320 engine. Review says that there is limited response till you hit the 1500-1800 RPM. [How bad is this? Could somebody who had driven this engine and also the 1.3 MJD FGT do a comparison please? Is it worse than the 1.3 MJD FGT engine? I think this could be an issue for people who are not used to the turbo lag]

3. The stock tyres offer poor grip. Is this issue to due with the manufacturer or is it to do with the specification of the tyre? If we change the JK tyres alone and stick to the stock spec then would that resolve the issue?
Old 13th July 2015, 15:05   #929
Senior - BHPian

Why can't we have 2 turbos? One that comes live from 500-1500RPM, and the second one from 1500RPM onwards.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:21   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Why can't we have 2 turbos? One that comes live from 500-1500RPM, and the second one from 1500RPM onwards.
I would believe that the cost will increase exponentially and make it unsuitable. Seems like the Toyota Supra had such a setup whereas the BiTurbo engines of Mercedes/BMW/Audi have two turbos for each bank of cylinders, i.e. 1,3,5 feed through one turbo and the even cylinders through the other.

Considering that we are into Turbo engines on a mass level only recently, I wouldn't think any manufacturer would be open to that idea. Although it will be nice to have it.

Also seems like the design is on the higher side of costs and reliability is on the lower side as well.

http://www.carsdirect.com/aftermarke...of-twin-turbos
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread