Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2015, 08:12   #1051
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)
Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Yeah, that's likely..............That's what the Creta thread is speculating. 2 ranges of prices. One around 11.8L ex-shrwm for the top variant 1.6 diesel and one at 14.4L ex-shrwm. If the 14.4L comes true, it may be goodbye Creta for many (as from opinions in that thread).
I don't know if Creta is an i20 on steeriods, though..
than in most hatchbacks (def taller than my Fabia)..
Well, maybe not the creta on steroids....though that's not saying much - just about 20mm difference in the WB, which is where it matters.
The point is that, for a SUV pretender without the basic ruggedness of body on frame structure & without that AWD/4WD option & then to expect the prospective customer to cough up 17 L ..... well, my best wishes to them.
It would be interesting to follow the tale as it unfolds......
Old 19th July 2015, 12:47   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Between the 1.3 Alpha and the 1.6 Alpha are there any differences in the feature set apart from the difference in the engine? I just want to get a confirmation that the feature set is exactly the same for both 1.3 Alpha and 1.6 Alpha. To be fair, I would expect the same for other scenarios as well. i.e. I would expect 1.3 Zeta = 1.6 Zeta except for the engine difference.

Of course we would have the price difference :-)
Check out this post made by me when SCross details are unveiled officially.

Variant Comparsion (The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38))

Does anyone know where S Cross is being displayed in Hyderabad?
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 12:51   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post

Does anyone know where S Cross is being displayed in Hyderabad?
I guess in GvK mall. Not sure though. Are you planning to visit?

I am thinking to go and check but not sure where it is displayed.
Old 19th July 2015, 12:56   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess in GvK mall. Not sure though. Are you planning to visit?

I am thinking to go and check but not sure where it is displayed.
Yes anurag, I'm planning to visit. Based on how I like the car, I'll either go ahead and book Creta on 21st or continue waiting till S Cross is launched.
Old 19th July 2015, 13:15   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I got to know from the RMs I'm in touch with, that this weekend it is/was at Mantri Mall and the coming weekend (25th), it will be at Phoenix Market City.
The info shared by Maruti (via SMS) is that today is the last day to catch S-Cross in Meenakshi mall on Bannerghatta Road.

I do not think it's being displayed in any other mall today. Probably, next week could be the turn of other malls.
Old 19th July 2015, 13:15   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Went to Mantri mall for a looksee of the S Cross and came back impressed. Display car is a brown color 1.3L Alpha and it looks very good.
- Looks smaller than the duster but has good space on the inside
- 180 cm of ground clearance but you have to climb up into the S cross and not slide down or slide in
- Driver seat height adjustment has a good range and even when adjusted for a 6 footer driving, there is sufficient space for a 6 footer to sit behind
- Both front and rear seats are comfortable and the leather feels soft and wraps around you well
- Dashboard is a mix of soft and hard plastics and comes close to the elite i20 standards
- Glove box is decent sized and storage space on the doors is adequate to hold 1L bottles + some spares
- Mixed impression of the plastics on the door as its again a mix of hard & soft plastics. Hard plastic looks like what I have on my 6 year old WagonR while the durability of the soft plastic is a question mark
- Apha comes with parking sensors and reverse camera that is well hidden in the boot opening groove
- panel gap between the boot and rear panels were a little irregular around the light cluster
- rear light cluster had weird pockmarks running left to right across the cluster. Not sure if this is a defect with this car or something that is consistent across cars
- Bonnet release was dangling under the dashboard - looks like someone broke this in this car
- Boot space is only adequate when the rear seats are up but converts to a monstrous 800L when the rear seats are folded and the parcel tray is removed (yes - its removable). Rear seats when folded are in line with the boot flooring but there is a gap between the front and rear seats.
- Spare tyre is not an alloy and the tool kit is sitting on top of the spare in a plastic/foam casing
- Boot also has 2 vertical cubby holes right under the rear quarter panel glass
- 12V socket also available in one of these rear cubby holes
- Wait time of 6-8 Weeks even if you pre book the car

Look like MSIL has tried to do everything to make this car feel premium from the inside but as usual, it will come down to two things: Price & Way it drives. RM was guesstimating 9.5L ex showroom for the lowest variant and 11.5-12L ex showroom for the Highest variant of the 1.3L diesel. This would mean you pay close to 11L on road in Bangalore for the lowest variant of the S Cross.

P.S: RMs were not very confident when pushed about details of the engine, suspension and power delivery. He was not even sure if the 1.3L was a Maruti or Fiat engine Not sure what MSIL is aiming for when they say NEXA will be a premium brand. If it is plush interiors of the showroom populated with half informed suits, then they might just be setting themselves up for failure.

Last edited by procrj : 19th July 2015 at 13:22.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 13:32   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
P.S: RMs were not very confident when pushed about details of the engine, suspension and power delivery. He was not even sure if the 1.3L was a Maruti or Fiat engine Not sure what MSIL is aiming for when they say NEXA will be a premium brand. If it is plush interiors of the showroom populated with half informed suits, then they might just be setting themselves up for failure.
Maruti and most of the manufacturers would have been a huge failure in India if SA's/Sales executive's knowledge about car was basis of success of any car. Very few Sales executives actually have in depth knowledge of cars. They have specifications learnt by heart without knowing what they mean.
sourabhzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 13:52   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Maruti and most of the manufacturers would have been a huge failure in India if SA's/Sales executive's knowledge about car was basis of success of any car. Very few Sales executives actually have in depth knowledge of cars. They have specifications learnt by heart without knowing what they mean.
Absolutely right I once remember a sales guy explaining to me the benefits of traction control and mixing them up with electronic stability program. This was a Mercedes no less
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:24   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Absolutely right I once remember a sales guy explaining to me the benefits of traction control and mixing them up with electronic stability program. This was a Mercedes no less
Traction control is one of the effects of ESP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...bility_control

Electronic stability control (ESC), also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC), is a computerized technology [1][2] that improves a vehicle's stability by detecting and reducing loss of traction (skidding).[3
Old 19th July 2015, 14:41   #1060
BHPian

Even though Traction is also one of the things that the ESP helps in, its main duty is to restore the car in a straight line.

Whereas Traction control is more about delivering the power to the wheels without slippage.

And ABS to stop the car without sliding out of control.

Check the video at the end of the page in the link below. Ford Aspire and Ecosport on the top of my list when I decide on the car

ABS, TC, ESP explained
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:57   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
You sit lower in the s cross than in any of its competitors. .............But I am perfectly comfortable in d s cross seats.
Yes, S-Cross seating will be lower compared to EcoSport and Dusters as the GC is much higher in them. A minimum of 20-25 mm. It's a coincidence you say that you got comfortable with the S Cross seats. I'm very large built and very unusually, I got comfortable with the S-Cross driver seat barely within a couple of minutes. Comfy seats even for the largely built folks. That scores a plus point for me, as one should be comfortably seated when doing long highway drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Well, maybe not the creta on steroids....though that's not saying much - just about 20mm difference in the WB, which is where it matters.
The point is that, for a SUV pretender without the basic ruggedness of body on frame structure & without that AWD/4WD option & then to expect the prospective customer to cough up 17 L ..... well, my best wishes to them.
It would be interesting to follow the tale as it unfolds......
Hehe.. Everyone knows the Creta is a mini-SUV, most of the aam junta buying these cars may care less (or even know) about body on frame, monocoque build, etc.. Expecting to sell Creta at 14-17L prices sounds absurd to me too, but reality is there are enough people to buy it at that price too. There are members also justifying the price due to length being more than 4M, powerful engine and such.. Agree to them but 17.5L for the top end variant diesel, I don't think so. Not worth it is what I feel. But I'm guessing it isn't going to be priced at 17L. Just a strategy by Hyundai to float incorrect prices and then launch with in-between 12L and 17L price so market takes acceptance. As you say, let's see how it unfolds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Yes anurag, I'm planning to visit. Based on how I like the car, I'll either go ahead and book Creta on 21st or continue waiting till S Cross is launched.
Do go with an open mind and without any comparison to a mini-SUV. This truly is the first real crossover (if we consider dusters and terranos and ecosports as mini-suvs). Let us know your feedback after you've seen it.

Quote:
Went to Mantri mall for a looksee of the S Cross and came back impressed. Display car is a brown color 1.3L Alpha and it looks very good.
- Both front and rear seats are comfortable and the leather feels soft and wraps around you well
- rear light cluster had weird pockmarks running left to right across the cluster. Not sure if this is a defect with this car or something that is consistent across cars
- Boot space is only adequate when the rear seats are up but converts to a monstrous 800L when the rear seats are folded and the parcel tray is removed (yes - its removable).
- Wait time of 6-8 Weeks even if you pre book the car

Look like MSIL has tried to do everything to make this car feel premium from the inside but as usual, it will come down to two things: Price & Way it drives. RM was guesstimating 9.5L ex showroom for the lowest variant and 11.5-12L ex showroom for the Highest variant of the 1.3L diesel. This would mean you pay close to 11L on road in Bangalore for the lowest variant of the S Cross.

Good observations you've made while checking the car. I spent some time feeling the leather on the S-Cross and I'm somewhat convinced these are leatherette quality, not real leather. At least, it doesn't feel like real leather (and I have scandinavian and nappa leather on 2 of my cars, so I know the feel).

Can you explain what you mean by pockmarks? I didn't see any details on the rear lights, but I'll check for them the next time I go see the car. I also found the boot space, though spacious, to be a little poorly designed. It could have been deeper where we load luggage. The height of the spare wheel intruding into the boot loading space kind of makes the available space seem limited. Loading big airport luggage vertically will be a challenge; they need to be laid down horizontally. Of course, putting the rear seat(s) down allows for a far more and better options.

I think the wait times are to do with the specific NEXA dealer's bookings. The one I'm interacting with have assured a delivery by mid of August 2015. It seems Maruti will be supplying considerably adequate stock to manage pre-booked customer deliveries (to keep up with the premium claims, not making customer wait too long).. Also depends on how Maruti is anticipating the bookings and craze for the S-Cross. Surely doesn't look like it is matching that of the Creta (I could be wrong).

Pricing of 12L ex showroom for 1.3 diesel, I feel, will be a no-go for the S-Cross and/or its potential customers. This crossover concept is yet to go down with the masses and high pricing out of the gates may work against Maruti's interests. They have to be careful and smart with the pricing of this car. Else Creta and cut-priced Dusters and Terranos are going to grab away the potential customers. Our country still loves the mini-suv body design, better.

Lastly, the NEXA RMs. I'd not worry too much about their knowledge levels now. How many of us have turned off from buying a car we like because the sales guy didn't know the details? The RM I'm in touch with is from a non-automobile world and he admitted with me he wasn't so confident compared to another RM he had me conversing with (who has been working with premier automobile brands earlier). That's fine, I encouraged the initial RM i'm speaking with to take all opportunity to learn and adapt quickly (as premium customers can be as unforgiving as understanding).. To me, it's ok. How I'm handled under this premium initiative dealership is more important to me than the salesman knowledge of how many cylinders the engine has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Very true. How many of us buy cars that is influenced by salesman's knowledge?

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2015 at 14:47. Reason: Innumerable language errors
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 14:58   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
RM was guesstimating 9.5L ex showroom for the lowest variant and 11.5-12L ex showroom for the Highest variant of the 1.3L diesel. This would mean you pay close to 11L on road in Bangalore for the lowest variant of the S Cross.
9.5 Ex-Showroom sounds pretty steep for this car, I feel that 9.5 - 11 shall be the OTR prices. It would have no chance of success if the base version starts 11 OTR.

While we wait to hear about the confirmed prices, I have been planning the other mods I would like to be done. First and essential seems to be better shoes for the car. Now - does it makes sense to go for 225/55/R16 instead of getting the better tires of the same size? I checked the UK and Australian sites and there the standard seems to be 205/50/R17.
Can someone please share some wisdom on the positives and negatives of up-sizing?
Old 19th July 2015, 15:05   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Traction control is one of the effects of ESP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...bility_control

Electronic stability control (ESC), also referred to as electronic stability program (ESP) or dynamic stability control (DSC), is a computerized technology [1][2] that improves a vehicle's stability by detecting and reducing loss of traction (skidding).[3
I am well aware of the technicalities buddy however traction control is still not to be confused with stability control. Every ESP system consists of abs, traction control and a programme to determine whether the car is understeering/oversteering compared to steering wheel inputs and the actual direction the car is headed.

Traction Control on its own, has no direct influence over the vehicle's direction it just controls wheelspin. So when you enter a corner too fast and slam on the brakes, traction control isn't really going to help you; abs will prevent locking and stability control helps you make it out of the corner without veering off the tarmac and wrapping yourself around a tree. In this scenario there is no loss of traction, I am merely trying to show you that there need not be a loss of traction for esp to be deployed.

In the end you see, the two might be related but that does not mean they are the same

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th July 2015 at 15:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 16:16   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post

While we wait to hear about the confirmed prices, I have been planning the other mods I would like to be done. First and essential seems to be better shoes for the car
I also have been planning mods on the car
My list on the 1.3 would be (If its price is close to 12 L OTR)
1. Better shoes - I would still go for 205 Primacy from Michelin or the Bridgestone, 215 will be insanely expensive. 205 Primacy 4 tyres would come to 30-35K, after exchange around 18-20k.
2. Windtone horn
3. 3M or 3M like mats
4. ICE - Speaker upgrade (vs Amp + comps according to vitamin M)

If 1.3 alpha is priced close to 13L, no mods or no car.(50:50)

1.3 zeta would be a good deal, but I will be loosing the HID and the projectors. I wont miss the 'leather seats' or the automatic lamps or stuff. In case the zeta is a good deal the above mods + good leatherette covers with some spare cash for splurging on a Racing dynamics box after the run in period.

If 1.6 alpha is priced below 13.5L, I ll definitely go for it.

Seems like the OTR prices will be 14-14.5 L for the alpha and the zeta would be priced in reach of 1.3 alpha. So the confusion would be between 1.3 alpha and 1.6 zeta. (The zeta variant of the 1.6 does not have acc or cruise control - nor does a duster or equally priced creta).I somehow have a gut feeling that the 1.3 alpha and 1.6 zeta would be close in the pricing. That explains the logic of stripping the 1.6 zeta off the ACC and cruise control (over a 1.3 zeta) in addition to the loss of HID, leather seats and automatic stuff. The sigma options pack would be priced close to i20 active i think. The 1.3 zeta close to the Titanium ecosport and the alpha a shade above titanium options ecosport. The 1.6 base would start there and the zeta would be close to the 110ps duster mid variant. The 1.6 alpha would be priced on par with the sx+ of the creta. (My predictions are purely based on wishful thinking.)

Eagerly waiting for 'the day' for the confusion to start.

Last edited by sandygordon : 19th July 2015 at 16:30. Reason: Adding text
sandygordon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 16:29   #1065
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the sales folks at a dealership had informed me about the S-Cross display at Garuda Mall yesterday. Could not go yesterday so went there this morning to find that the event was over! Made a quick call and found that I could head over to their yard if I wanted to see the car, so did just that and here's a report with some pictures:
-S Cross will not bowl you over with outstanding looks, neither is it butch looking or a giant in terms of size
-Rear can accommodate 2 adults and a child (in middle seat), rear does not feel claustrophobic and has enough head room
-The Floor hump is going to be an irritant for the middle seat passenger. It is not rounded but like a flat box
-The infotainment system has a SD card slot on the top. I asked about a USB/Aux slot and the sales guy said it doesn't come with one However, I found later that USB and Aux ports are located in the storage space of the Driver Armrest console
-All doors have provision to hold one bottle, my guess is 500/750ml not larger
-Glove box does not have a lock
-Switch to open/fold ORVM Mirrors
-Boot has an additional 12V socket, sticker below it said something like A+B=120W max., I think both the 12V outlets together can provide max. 120W of power
-Boot is quite large, the Spare tyre is located neatly below a padded MDF board which is much thicker than the thin one in my Dzire!
-Under the hood - found a hose running right over the battery. Sales guy informed that it's for the Turbo, not sure about this, can be seen in the picture below
-Spotted rust in the rear wheels, see picture below

The sales guy told me that the Ddis 200 1.3 Litre engine variants will be approximately priced (in Bangalore) 8.5 Lakh, 10 Lakh and 11.5 Lakh on road.
The DDis 320 1.6 Litre engine variants are expected to be 10 Lakh, 12 Lakh, 14 Lakh on road.
He also mentioned all variants will have Airbags (if true it's good to see Maruti adopt this approach finally).

Here are some pictures of the Caffeine Brown and Granite Grey cars.
Name:  1 Side profile Grey.jpg
Views: 4066
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  2 Front Brown.jpg
Views: 4943
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  3 Side profile Brown.jpg
Views: 3747
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  4 Rear Brown.jpg
Views: 2500
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  5 Dash and Console1.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  6 Dash and Console2.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  7 Dash and Console3.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  8  Dash and Console4.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  9 Rear Bench cupholder.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  10 Rear Floor Hump.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  10a Rear Floor hump.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  11 Bottle holderdriver.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  12 Bottle holderfront passenger.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  13 Bottle holderrear.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  14 Wheel.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  15 Boot Spare tyre.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  16 Boot 12V socket lamp.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  17 Under the hood1.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  18 Under the hood2.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  19 Under the hood3.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  20 Arm Rest and console.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  21 USB and Aux.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  100.3 KB

Last edited by NPV : 19th July 2015 at 16:42.
NPV is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread