Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2015, 20:59   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Mall displays at Cochin were the 1.6.
My bad. I thought all display cars were 1.3.
Old 19th July 2015, 21:23   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
If you have the RM's contact number, could you PM me?..
PM'ed you the contact, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I agree. I'm not swayed by the lot of negative impressions about the looks of the car. I wanted to see the car in person before having an opinion. I prefer the Blue on the S Cross. I liked the Brown shade on Duster a lot, but not sure how it looks on S Cross.
Yes, blue colour looks heavenly but I am now getting bored as my Ritz was blue and current car the Swift too is blue! Hence I am thinking for an alternate choice. I'd love to have the blue for the third time also but will decide after looking at Blue and Brown side-by-side.

Quote:
Neatly integrated AVN unit in the S cross European version. Missing it here.

Such types are available on AliExpress if you want to retro-fit at a later stage Pricing is between 20-25K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I can't see any headlamp washer on the variant that has HID headlamps. Isn't that required by law? Or is it something that is not yet regulated/ambiguous in India and Maruti was only to happy to skimp on it to save cost?
May be it is cut off the list as it isn't compulsory by the law!

Headlamp Washers

The foreign ones do get the washers on the top variant (For Eg: Australia ones do get in the GLX model whereas it is not given in the GL one).

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th July 2015 at 21:25.
Old 19th July 2015, 22:15   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Default The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Checked out the display car at Meenakshi mall , Bangalore. For me somehow this was a disappointment !
Having read some of the posts here especially about the interiors , I was expecting something more upmarket. For me , my Ciaz interiors feel much more luxurious ! This was more like a more luxurious Swift ZDi dashboard with a different steering wheel ! Overall interiors somehow didn't give me the " premium " feel I was expecting from this vehicle.

Comparing with the Ciaz , an immediate difference are the seats ( both front and rear ) The rear seat has better under thigh support in the S cross. Looks like the Ciaz leg room for my seating postion might be more. Absence of a rear AC vent in today's age is just unacceptable.

As the car was displayed on an elevated platform , it was difficult for me to understand the road presence. Looks more like a long hatchback than a crossover competing with the Duster and the Creta. While the exterior styling is just like any other Maruti car , the alloys are just so ugly ! Even the cheaper Swifts have better looking rims.

Having said all this , the equipment levels on this car are impressive. Disc brakes all around and the projector headlight are something which could have been included in the Ciaz as well.

For someone like me , the 1.6 would appeal more , but the 350 litres boot space would ensure I wouldn't buy this if this was the only car in the family. The loading area looks lower in height than the other vehicles in the competition and hence much easier to load/ unload from the boot

Maybe this car would appeal to the younger segment of owners while the Ciaz with its much bigger boot would be a more sensible buy for someone travelling with family.

Last edited by speedsatya : 19th July 2015 at 22:17.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 22:33   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Checked out the display car at Meenakshi mall , Bangalore. For me somehow this was a disappointment !
Having read some of the posts here especially about the interiors , I was expecting something more upmarket. For me , my Ciaz interiors feel much more luxurious ! This was more like a more luxurious Swift ZDi dashboard with a different steering wheel ! Overall interiors somehow didn't give me the " premium " feel I was expecting from this vehicle.
The touch and feel of plastics were almost the same in the ciaz and s cross. But the beige trims and the faux wood finish on the ciaz dash make it look more premium. Seats are a bit low. I was seriously considering the ciaz until I saw the S cross. One common problem I noted was the poor readability of meters in day light. (may be its monsoon here). I really miss the optitron type of dials. Beige leather trim and seats will always look premium than the black ones. The purpose of both vehicles are different. While Ciaz was made for the chauffeur diven in, s cross was built for a people preferring a large hatch (more premium than a small hatch).
Old 19th July 2015, 23:00   #1085
BHPian

I happened to see the S-Cross 1.3 at Fairdeal motors noida today.
They hid it in the true value yard. Hahahahhahaha.
Anyways the car is no better than a BIG hatchback. Let's see it as a Merc B class size.
I started it and loved the engine starter motor sound. That was like music to my ears.
Insulation is good. The engine noise was very less in the cabin even with the front doors open.
Plastics are good and the a/c is as always in all maruti cars superb chiller.
Alloy wheels look like wheel caps from distance. Enthusiasts won't like it and I guess mjority people will replace them post purchase.
And as said earlier by many other people the SA are promoting 1.3 more than the 1.6 and most of the nexa dealers have got the 1.3 as display cars.
S-Cross i saw was in blue and it looked amazing.
Last:Ciaz will be not be sold through Nexa.
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 08:05   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
-Boot has an additional 12V socket, sticker below it said something like A+B=120W max., I think both the 12V outlets together can provide max. 120W of power
Great set of snaps. And good on MSIL to provide the additional charging point in the boot, very helpful in this age. The Ertiga too got it for the third row.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 08:39   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-Under the hood - found a hose running right over the battery. Sales guy informed that it's for the Turbo, n]
That's the air intake hose. They have routed the hose from above the grille to the air filter so that the intake air will be cold and drawn from outside compared to taking hot air from the engine bay which will reduce the intake air temperature after turbocharging. It will make the forced induction system more efficient leading to better FE.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:48   #1088
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-All doors have provision to hold one bottle, my guess is 500/750ml not larger
I think I got this wrong - The bottle holders on the door trims felt small which is why I mentioned this, but the feature list on page 38 (The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)), clearly mentions 1000ml bottle holder on door trims.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:31   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Likely that the story will be different with the 1.3 DDIS 200.
All maruti needs to do would be to price the 1.3 on par or lesser than the ford ecosport. 1.3 can woo the customers looking for ecosport and i20 active.
S Cross can not be compared to Ecosport or any other 'crosses' available in the market. It is much better these in terms of space.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:46   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Speculated launch date from Nexa personnel is August 4th / 5th. Vehicles for display are now at a few Nexa dealers (godown). TD will be available at launch date.
Maruti Suzuki S-Cross launch on August 5

Quote:
Our sources close to Maruti Suzuki have said the S-Cross will be launched in the first week of August 2015, Maruti hasn't confirmed the date as yet. However, our sources reveal that they are expected to bring in the S-Cross into the market on August 5.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...ugust-5/22530/

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th July 2015 at 15:48.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 17:08   #1091
Senior - BHPian

I guess Maruti will launch S-cross around 8 Lacs ex showroom for base model. May be 7.99 Lacs as a market gimick to attract more cutomers? Maruti knows its own limitations and will price it sensibly. I am expecting good pricing from them. Egaerly waiting for T-BHP review
Old 20th July 2015, 17:13   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I can't see any headlamp washer on the variant that has HID headlamps. Isn't that required by law? Or is it something that is not yet regulated/ambiguous in India and Maruti was only to happy to skimp on it to save cost?
Pardon my ignorance, but why do we need a headlamp washer? I did not like skimping on three-point seat belt for rear seat middle passenger though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki S-Cross launch on August 5
MSIL is keeping it flexible IMO. RM was sure that the launch will be on July 25.
Old 20th July 2015, 17:25   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why do we need a headlamp washer? .
What chncar is mentioning is about the mandatory guideline for having headlamp washer in cars for EU approvals.

However, to clarify it is not mandatory to have headlamp washer -
  • Indian rules does not mandate the same.
  • For EU rules also, it is mandatory based on lumens produced and NOT mandatory for all HID's.

You can refer the previous this link and previous discussion related to same.

Quote:
It is a widespread fallacy that headlamp washers are only compulsory for xenon lights. This is wrong on several counts. The latest generation of xenon, the 25-Watt version, doesn’t actually need one at all. Meanwhile, halogen and LED headlamps do need one if their light sources emit more than 2000 lumens. Indeed, this is required for ECE approval.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:00   #1094
BHPian

There was SCross displayed in our office campus today. Spent a brief moment inside the car. There were too many folks trying to check the vehicle out, hence could not take many shots. The bonnet lid was pretty heavy. But the doors aren't. I feel it just as an "artificial" thud when closing. And the doors does not close step-by step. When you close the door, after about 60% of the door closing, it offers no resistance, almost like a free fall (Unlike Fiats, Fords and other Euros where its more controlled).
The model on display was the 1.3L top end.
Seems like a conscious effort has been put to make the car premium adding leather whereever possible but the leather looked worn out at places (more of a dull look). Leg space is adequate.
The drivers seat is just about at the right height. Gives a good view. Not too low like sedans. Passengers at the rear can tuck your feet under the front seats.
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142106.jpg
The dashboard looked premium but it had fingerprint smudge marks at most places.
The power window switches are lifted from the other models in the stable. Do not think its illuminated
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142506.jpg
The boot mat has ciaz written over it . Said its a 350L boot.
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142153.jpg
Door open graphic and temp needle present.
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142516.jpg
Apologies for the avg quality pics; shot using camera phone.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_141950.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142415.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_142422.jpg  

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img_20150720_141851.jpg  

Last edited by glenmz : 20th July 2015 at 18:06.
glenmz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:18   #1095
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
The power window switches are lifted from the other models in the stable. Do not think its illuminated
Thanks for the pictures!
-The switches on the driver door trim (pic #2) - the first one seems to be rotary switch for selecting the left or right side ORVM ?
On the car I saw at the yard, this switch did not have the outer cap/cover like the one you have shown here so couldn't really make out what it was for.

The second switch, the one just below this rotary switch is to fold/unfold the ORVM, hence I'm guessing the other one is to select left or right ORVM ?
But how does one adjust the ORVM's and move them up/down/left/right ?

-in Pic #7 you can see the 12V power socket in the front just in front of the gear level in the console/cubby hole

Here's a picture of the boot, missed it in my earlier post:
Name:  15 Boot.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  89.8 KB

-You can see 2 cubby holes one each on left and right side.
-You can also see the rear seats with 60:40 split.

Last edited by NPV : 21st July 2015 at 11:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread