Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 17:39   #1126
BHPian

Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Let's not be too optimistic like Creta pricing. As this is a premium product and rightly indicated by Nexa guys that it will start over 8L. My guess after going through Creta pricing is they will slot DDIS 200 just over Ciaz VDI which is 8.25L. This translates to 8.49L for Sigma and 8.99L for sigma(o) or if we are lucky then we get them 8.01L and 8.51L respectively as introductory price. Now that Maruti has a lot of breathing space in the tune of 1.5L, they will price it sensibly at the same time not too low which will take away the premium tag. Going by the build quality and advertised premium features, when we compare with Ciaz it's almost in the same category. But Maruti is going to price it higher than Ciaz as done by Hyundai pricing the similar spec Creta more than the Verna. But, if they keep the price difference of 1 lakh with Ciaz, then it will be dead on arrival.
Old 21st July 2015, 18:41   #1127
BHPian

The ex-showroom Delhi price for the Ciaz ZDI+ reads 10.3L.
My hunch for the upcoming S Cross pricing is thus:
The top-end 1.3 could come at a 70K premium ie 11L or so.
The top-end 1.6 could cost an additional 1-1.3L ie 12-12.3 L.
Other variants could be similarly extrapolated.
Of course, this is just my presumption and could be off mark.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:14   #1128
BHPian

So the S-Cross got Displayed in our office today.

No offence but simply looks like an over grown Swift. Cannot imagine someone aiming for the Duster (or Creta?) going for it. Honestly, they should target the i20 buying crowd who would be willing to pay a premium to buy something a notch above.

Which it is if compared to the i20. The overall quality is very unlike Maruti (in a positive way), so kudos. Hope the halo effect rubs on other products in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
....Going by the build quality and advertised premium features, when we compare with Ciaz it's almost in the same category. But Maruti is going to price it higher than Ciaz as done by Hyundai pricing the similar spec Creta more than the Verna. But, if they keep the price difference of 1 lakh with Ciaz, then it will be dead on arrival...
In my humble opinion, the S-Cross is not to Ciaz what Creta is to Verna. Pricing S-Cross above the Ciaz would simply kill it. Ideally it should be priced a little lower.
But then the whole point of launching Nexa is lost, so have to agree with you that the premium over Ciaz should be minimal if they hope to make decent sales.

Last edited by avisidhu : 21st July 2015 at 19:21.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:41   #1129
BHPian

According to my sales rep, the guidance from Maruti is 8-12 Ex-Showroom.

I was further hopeful that since Hyundai promised 'Shocking' prices - it shall retail from 8-12.5 and for S-Cross to make a mark it would be at least 80k-1L less. So I was really hoping for 11.5-12 for top spec 1.6. Now Hyundai did 'Shock' me alright but instead of pleasant it was a rude one.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Maruti doesn’t get too arrogant now and end up placing 1.6 in the bracket where it does not belong. Knowing that they are making a big investment in NEXA and that they have a product that would take Indian consumers little time to digest, they should go little easy initially and increase the prices in the coming years.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:52   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
In my humble opinion, the S-Cross is not to Ciaz what Creta is to Verna. Pricing S-Cross above the Ciaz would simply kill it. Ideally it should be priced a little lower.
But then the whole point of launching Nexa is lost, so have to agree with you that the premium over Ciaz should be minimal if they hope to make decent sales.
Could you please elaborate on that?

Why do you think they would place a much powerful, better built and better equipped car lower than the Ciaz? The pricing cant be determined by the size or the looks of the product. Hoping for the S-Cross to be priced less than Ciaz will be a distant dream. The pricing will start midway of the Ciaz and end at a sub 15L figure from what I am told. If they become overconfident and the 1.6L Alpha costs more than 15L, people will not find any value in it.

Also, products like the Creta, S-cross are much modern than the Duster and Terrano and equipment, interiors are again a lot better. Apart from offering the AWD and looking butch, there is not much that it excels in. If at all one is really looking for capabilities, then there are always products like the Scorpio and the Storme. So it looks like people expected a lot out of both the S-Cross and the Creta and one wicket is down with the Creta pricing
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 20:41   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

Just ahead of the Nexa showroom launch on 23rd, Bimal updates its portal with S Cross .

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg

http://www.bimalnexa.com/index.php
Old 21st July 2015, 21:49   #1132
BHPian

Ever since I have seen the S cross, Duster has started appearing smaller and smaller. Now for me even the duster feels like an overgrown hatch. I feel its the tyres that makes the S cross look like an overgrown hatch.

Got a call from Nexa guy today evening. Went to the yard to see the vehicle. Saw it previously in a mall, when I felt that S cross was nothhing more than an overgrown swift. I think you should see it in a yard to appreciate its size. It was almost as long (not as long in a scientific sense) and broad as a ciaz and as tall as an Ertiga. The front end looked okay for my tastes. Got in again. Tried various seating positions. S Cross has as much more space than a duster in the rear seat barring the central transmission bulge. Front seats are more comfortable than in an ecosport, though you do not sit as tall. NVH levels are pretty okay, but it sounds a typical MJD.

Some points I noted
1. Boot is as big as in the 2012 Dzire
2. DRLs are park-lights, you cannot switch them on alone
3. Plastic quality on top of the dash is not as good as the middle and lower portion.
4. Bottle holders seem small as the doors are really large (I think one of the bhpians mistook it for 500ml)
5. Switches for the cabin lights, window switches and those for the fog lamp and automatic lights are tacky.
5. The body panels are better than in the ciaz, but inferior to the ecosport or the germans.

The question of commanding premium over the Ciaz. I think the car is built better than a Ciaz. It has sort of a european lineage compared to chineese lineage of the ciaz. (from the build and some plastics).

I asked the Nexa SA about the price and he said that Maruti is keeping prices realistic and mouthwatering, especially the 1.3. (It was told to them in a high level meeting). Nexa dealer in Cochin has got around 90 bookings for the S cross, he did not tell the breakup between 1.3 and 1.6. Nexa showroom in Cochin will open by this month end (30/7 i think). They will be starting delivery by second week of August. According to him all those who have prebooked and those who book by this month end will get the cars in August.
Eagerly waiting for the day when prices will be announced. Seems like 14L+ OTR for the 1.6 alpha.
Old 21st July 2015, 22:49   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
My guess after going through Creta pricing is they will slot DDIS 200 just over Ciaz VDI which is 8.25L. This translates to 8.49L for Sigma and 8.99L for sigma(o) or if we are lucky then we get them 8.01L and 8.51L respectively as introductory price.
Can Sigma (O) command a premium of 50K over Sigma?

It offers 5 things in extra (see attachment).

Extra Airbag
Rear Disc Brake
ABS
Front Seat-Belt Pretensioner
Front Seat-Belt Force Limiter

Zest offers Two Airbags and Seat-Belt Pretensioner and Load Limiter around 20K extra (along with height adjustable driver seat included in that)

Ertiga offers ABS as optional for 8.5 K.

Approximating around 10K for the extra airbag and around 10K for ABS (probably newer version), Rear Disc Brake is coming at 30K.

I understand pricing of car does not work this way, but wanted to put a perspective on the additional features in Sigma (O).
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-1437497979640.jpg  

Last edited by mrbaddy : 21st July 2015 at 23:09.
Old 21st July 2015, 22:54   #1134
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross compared to its nearest competitor- The i20 cross(well atleast that's what people think of when they see the S-Cross).

Atleast this hints Maruti to price the S-cross in such a way that the 1.3 takes fight to the pseudo crossovers and the 1.6 fits atleast a lac below Creta.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 23:09   #1135
BHPian

I don't think anyone would buy a Maruti priced north of 12-13 L and that too the S Cross which for all intents and purposes looks like an overgrown hatch.They should have launched the Ciaz or their upcoming Compact SUV under the Nexa umbrella first because in India a sedan and a SUV are seen as status symbols and people would have been more inclined to pay more for them inspite of being Maruti products which we have already seen with the Ciaz .

The S Cross is neither here nor there it looks like a hatch not that Maruti is claiming it to be anything else ,but still it lacks the status symbol that is associated with a sedan or a SUV and thus will be harder to sell at a higher price.

I am expecting the 1.3 ddis to be pitted against the i20 Active, if its priced higher based on its looks which evoke comparisons only with other hatches it will be a hard sell.

Personally, I think it's a great car and really want it to succeed ,I may even buy one if either one of the top two varaints of the 1.3 ddis are priced below 10L OTR Mumbai, but with Maruti putting so much stress on the premium bit and the general trend of all manufacturers overpricing their cars I am not really hopeful.
chirag08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:55   #1136
BHPian

While waiting to see which side of the scale would final price figure end, to keep myself busy - I have been drawing up the plans for mods this car would need. Now we have all been cribbing about the alloys, so did a little photoshop and came up with this.

I hope Maruti prices the car sensibly so that we can spare some green to rectify the mistakes they would force us to live with.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-final-jpg.jpg  

Abhi99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:14   #1137
BANNED

A disappointing news:

http://gaadiwaadi.com/scoopmaruti-su...engine-062310/

Yba sub4m suv with 1.3 diesel itself will start at 7.9L! So, imo, scross 1.3 may start at 8.99L.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:08   #1138
BHPian

Comparing it with the Hyundai Active i20
The 1.3 alpha would gain
1. Touch screen AVN unit - 30k
2. HID lamps - 10k
3. Automatic lights and wipers - 5k
4. Cruise control - 15k
5. 'Leather' seats - 20k
6. 30 cm length and 3 cm wheelbase translating into say 5 cm of Knee room
7. Better handling
8. Fatter tyres - 5k
9. Disc brakes all around - 20 k

Extra burden
1. Loss of excise cuts - More than 4m length
2. Higher Roadtax - More than 10 L ex showroom price

i20 scores in
1. 100 ml more displacement
2. 20 nm of torque
3. Better looks, ride quality

So S cross would command a premium of atleast 1L ex showroom for features aone, translating to 1.5L after extra taxes and insurance. So logically the price of the s cross should be close to 11.5-12 L
As someone mentioned, as the non-premium Ciaz is priced at 12.4 L OTR, the premium cross-over 1.3 alpha would be priced at par or more (say 13L). That would be like shooting at the head rather than feet.

Maruti should price atleast the 1.3 delta on par with the i20 actve or else it would be dead on arrival. Suddenly i20 active might have more takers and would appear value for money.

Why Creta neednot worry, but MSIL should?

Creta has established itself as an SUV and not anything else. Anyone knowing the spartan appointments in the duster would be pulled towards the creta. Terranos were bought by peolpe who wanted a bit more premiumness over the Duster. In India SUVs are gauged by how fat their tyres are and how much road presence they have (A few enthusiasts would look at off road performance and 4X4 s etc.) Creta has loads of road presence, the looks of a more premium car, adequate power and even SX+ priced on par with the duster will be considered as value for money product.

Very few reviews were positive about the S cross. Most of the reviewers after reviewing the 1.6 declared it to be an Ecosport competitor than a 'pseudo-SUV' challenger. In customers minds the S cross would be competing against the cross overs. A premium cross over can avail premium over cross overs, but not against 'SUVs - Pseudo SUVs'. So pricing will decide the fate of even the 1.3, leave alone 1.6.
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:18   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Guys believe me. I got the Creta price right a week ago and here is my 2 cents on the S Cross pricing.
The 1.3 top end will tentatively be around 11.5 - 12 lakhs OTR Bangalore. That's around 10L ex showroom.
The 1.6 top end will be tentatively 13.5- 14 lakhs OTR Bangalore. 12L ex showroom.
That will be around 3.25-3.70 L cheaper than the Creta SX(O).

Forget the premium tag. I think there will be an overlap lap pricing with the Ciaz. Maruti has played the game well and probably forced Hyundai to price the Creta higher. Now it looks to be seen as to how Maruti will react to these prices.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:22   #1140
BHPian

Despite the negativity, I personally feel that this is a great and highly underrated product. Most of the negativity comes from Society stereotypes. This is modern vehicle and does away from sub 4 meter or so called compact SUV non sense. I am planning to advance my purchase if there is 50 K premium on i20 Active.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed