Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th July 2006, 15:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
Oh ... that means the punch is not there in the car.... so should i take that waiting for Verna is the better option...

So did u try the new CNG Lancer or the 3rd party fitment car? as the new one is company fitted and modified for Lancer especially... would help if you can confirm....

Thanks a ton in advance,
Udit
Yes Udit,
You got that one right.
I would suggest you drive one for yourself and see. CNG in commercial vehicles is a good option, but on private vehicles i have not seen many happy 'CNG ' faces .. whether factory or retro- fitted, the loss of power is around 30%, and thats substantial.. In the end it comes down to one thingie:- your 'driving' vis-a-vis 'saving' need.. and for that you need to drive both vehicles yourself to understand.
I have driven LPG for three years in OHC and Baleno, and can safely vouch for same in all aspects.
Hope this helps you,
Cheers,
Samrat
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 16:05   #17
BANNED

Thanks Samrat. I am planning to test drive it this saturday... then i will share my thoughts on this....

Thanks,
Udit
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 19:01   #18
BANNED

yeah seems nice... have to test it power though... else the car is simply sexy in looks.... with CNG it is fuel economical....

Lets see how this baby runs on the road.... impatient for to test drive it
Old 17th July 2006, 21:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

great news for urban dwellers who like the lancer looks and comfort coupled with the economical cng package seems like finally HM-mitsubishi woke up.Cedia definitelely needs a better publicity campaign as most people dont even know if the car exists and with the civic launched in the same priceband time will be tough for cedia so its now or never. ,
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 23:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
yeah seems nice... have to test it power though... else the car is simply sexy in looks.... with CNG it is fuel economical....

Lets see how this baby runs on the road.... impatient for to test drive it
Udit, I own a lancer sfxi. When you test drive the lancer 1.5 CNG, do also drive a NHC and let us know.

while all the non-owners shout that lancer is not powerful, you need to drive it. IF 77hp from NHC is adequate enough in the city, then Lancer 1.5 is certainly adequate enough for the highways. And t he engine is the best you can have for a 1.5ltr class.

And the CNG loss is more of a hype from all the articles I have read. A max drop would be 5-10%.
I get around 13-14 in the city with A/C on Petrol.

THough I am not all voting for CNG as I have not even seen one, I certainly think a test-drive should be the deciding factor.

Did anybody see the cedia commercial? I suppose it is already being aired.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th July 2006 at 23:20.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 03:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

http://carwale.com/Resources/Exclusi...x?question=563

CNG won't affect your engine's life but performance will go down. You can't run your car on both fuels at same time, so whenever you will be running it on petrol, you won't notice anything but with CNG 3-4% power loss will be there. This power loss is nowhere to the benefit you will be getting in terms of savings in fuel prices.
Old 18th July 2006, 09:18   #22
BANNED

Yes, as per the articles on the internet about the CNG Lancer - say it is 'Powerful'. Read Below:

Hindustan Motors and Mitsubishi Motors, Japan have together introduced a CNG version of the Mitsubishi Lancer for the Indian market.

The CNG Lancer is a powerful luxurious car. Powered by a reliable 1.5 litre engine with flat torque characteristics that make superior drivability possible even in city traffic. Clean and pure CNG optimizes the engine's performance and maximizes its life.

The CNG conversion kit, to be fitted at sale points, has been custom developed for Lancer, based on international design of BRC Italy. Kit fitments and mountings are approved by Hindustan Motors after stringent durability and mileage accumulation tests. The CNG conversion kit and the cylinder design have been approved by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Pune.

Superior power and exceptional fuel economy is complimented with the most comfortable interiors in the CNG Lancer. Titanium finish cockpit and Italian leather interiors along with rear duct tropicalised air conditioning are just some of the features that make the experience of the CNG Lancer unforgettable.

Commenting on the development, Mr. Ravi Santhanam, Managing Director, Hindustan Motors, said, "Hindustan Motors has always been on the forefront of introducing environment friendly vehicles in the Indian market. CNG has been welcomed as a more economical and greener option and the CNG variant of the Lancer will be greeted with an excellent response from those customers who look for style, power, luxury, economy and eco-friendliness in their vehicles."

Hindustan Motors has also launched a new, exhilarating 20 seconds TVC for the Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia. A Mitsubishi EVO maneuvering the rough and tricky rally terrain gradually transforms into an elegant silver car cruising on city roads with equal ease as of the rally car. "Introducing the Mitsubishi Cedia". "Spirited Products for Spirited People".

Speaking about the TVC, Mr. Santhanam, said, "The commercial will electrify the minds of the target audience for the Lancer Cedia. It showcases the powerhouse of performance as well as the elegance of the car effectively. It will certainly ignite the imagination of the customers.

The TVC will be telecast from this week on prominent news and niche channels such as National Geographic as well. The duration of the campaign will be 8 weeks starting July 14, 2006. A colour print campaign for Cedia is already on and will continue during these eight weeks.

SOURCE:
http://markets.moneycontrol.com/indi...article/227292

Last edited by Mpower : 18th July 2006 at 22:48.
Old 18th July 2006, 12:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
http://carwale.com/Resources/Exclusi...x?question=563

CNG won't affect your engine's life but performance will go down. You can't run your car on both fuels at same time, so whenever you will be running it on petrol, you won't notice anything but with CNG 3-4% power loss will be there. This power loss is nowhere to the benefit you will be getting in terms of savings in fuel prices.
devarshi84,
While you would get different versions of power loss on paper, I have experienced first hand that there is substantial loss of power in CNG w.r.t petrol. In fact, while the savings from CNG are substantial and while the mechanic makes more money while retrofitting a CNG kit, they still advice LPG for private vehicles and while I have seen plenty of LPG users, some of the private CNG users that I have found and spoken to vouch for savings, but complain about pick-up, and finding qute exasperating to drive on CNG themselves, leave it to their drivers. So there comes the point:- if you drive yourself, and take some pleasure in driving, its better to stick to petrol or LPG; if savings is the only concern, CNG is better.
Cheers.
Old 18th July 2006, 12:19   #24
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
IF 77hp from NHC is adequate enough in the city, then Lancer 1.5 is certainly adequate enough for the highways. And t he engine is the best you can have for a 1.5ltr class.
what is your criteria for the best engine in this segment?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 12:33   #25
BHPian

[quote=udit78]Yes, as per the articles on the internet about the CNG Lancer - say it is 'Powerful'. Read Below:

H Udit78,
'Powerful' is really a marketing term specially when it comes from the manufacturer, please testdrive and let us know your feedback.
Cheers,
Samrat
Old 18th July 2006, 12:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
what is your criteria for the best engine in this segment?

refinement
NCH and smoothness
Fuel efficiency
adequate power
flat torque curve for effortless driving in the city.
reliability
flexibility

Much of the performance decline also depends on the installation and technology used in the CNG kit. I dont say that its the best bet. Certainly not when I have not driven a CNG. My point is- let the buyer test drive the vehicle and decide.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th July 2006 at 12:57.
Old 18th July 2006, 22:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Default H.M to offer CNG kit for Lancer

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1747182.cms

NEW DELHI: Hindustan Motors on Thursday said it would offer a CNG kit for fitment on its Lancer sedan model, which is likely to be available for Rs 7.3 lakh.

The CNG variant would be available on the 1.5-litre engine and will be sold in 12 cities where CNG is available, a company statement said.

The company said existing Lancer owners could also go in for the CNG kit which has been approved by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), Pune. The kits could cost around Rs 30,000.

"The CNG conversion kit, based on international design of BRC Italy, has been custom developed for Lancer and would be fitted at sale points," the company statement said.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 22:47   #28
BHPian

I'll be going down to Excel Motors on Sunday and Check this out..but Its too good to be true...specially having a HM Mitsubishi Approved Kit on an Existing lancer...! Tempting
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 00:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
I'll be going down to Excel Motors on Sunday and Check this out..but Its too good to be true...specially having a HM Mitsubishi Approved Kit on an Existing lancer...! Tempting
IF my guess is true. I will bet that its the Ambassador CNG kits modded for lancer use.

And they are doing well on Ambassador.

better take a test drive and decide.
Old 19th July 2006, 02:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody have a list of the 12 cities where CNG is available to the public ??
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote