Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th June 2014, 16:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: PICS: Hyundai's Chennai Factory. Detailed report on the making of Xcent & Grand i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
... making an unsafe i10 for us, and a safer one for exports? ...
The differences are cosmetic, not related with safety.

If one is talking of fixed- v/s adjustable headrests. there is not much difference in the ability of either to prevent whiplash - based on average height of drivers in the region.

Quote:
... Which countries is it sold in? Entire Europe may be getting the new i10, and not this one. ...
Don't know specifically for a model, but major destinations for cars manufactured at this plant are:
- Africa (33%)
- Europe (some countries; 25%)
- South America (23%)
- Middle East (8%)
- Australia (6%)
- Asia (5%)

In the European region, there are Hyundai plants in
- Czech Republic (for Europe, Middle East, Australia and South Africa),
- Turkey (for Europe) and
- Russia (for Russia only; they still make the Accent, called Solaris in Russia)

Their other plants are in US (Alabama), China (Beijing, 3 plants) and Brazil (for South America). There are 3 plants in Korea - Ulsan, Asan and Jeonju.

Model selection is a joint HQ and local plant decision for the region.

Quote:
... But looks like no company can afford to make a country-specific model.
Usually models have region-specific refinement. Doesn't make sense to make a country-specific model, unless one is in China (off-take size). China is Hyundai's biggest market. The 3 plants in China produce 1 million units - all for China.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 19:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: PICS: Hyundai's Chennai Factory. Detailed report on the making of Xcent & Grand i10

Any idea about the safety of the Cars held in inventory at the plant? Are they prone to water logging especially during these rains in Chennai?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote