Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2015, 23:52   #751
BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

At the risk of the Moderator deleting my post saying "doesnt add value to the conversation", my humble submission is that the TUV300 facia looks like a Premier 118NE has been mated to a XUV500. The lower air dam and square lights are of course the 118NE genes and the buck tooth grille and swept headlamps are XUV DNA. As someone has said earlier, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder....so no offence to those aficionados who want to drool at the sculpted lines of this beauty.

PS : In the teaser they said it was inspired by a Tank. Maybe it was a Sintex Tank
Attached Images

Last edited by Rajeev1 : 10th September 2015 at 23:56. Reason: Spellcheck
Rajeev1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 07:15   #752
BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

The initial reviews seem to be a mixed bag, NDTV states the engine is very good, zigwheels states the opposite.

From what I can see, this seems to be more apt for urban conditions and not the highways.

We need to appreciate Mahindra for making a sincere attempt, I see a lot of folks not liking the looks, however the most important factor for me is interiors, driving comfort, reliability, safety and value for money. If a car ticks all of these, I wouldn't be overly worried about the exterior for I am going to be spending most of my time inside a car, rather than admiring it from the outside.
Chillout is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 08:25   #753
BHPian

As a replacement for Balero, looks good. Much better i must say.
Couldnt help pasting these two photographs for semblance of similarity. You all know which one is which.
Attached Images

nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 08:37   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Those who checked out the vehicle, how's the 2nd row legroom ? In the Bolero thats abysmal. Does the 2nd row fold down flat(full bench or split) to liberate bigger loading bay ?
Coming to front row, hows the driver seat legroom & driver seating position?
2nd row legroom is quite decent and should be comfortable for 3 people with a low floor hump.

Yes 2nd row seats are bench type and they fold down flat.

Driver seat legroom is quite good but the sore point is even with the height adjusted to its fullest, you sit low and you can't see the bonnet completely with my height of 5.11". Again should drive and see how it feels on the road.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 08:54   #755
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Yes 2nd row seats are bench type and they fold down flat. you sit low and you can't see the bonnet completely with my height of 5.11".
Thanks. Great so the flat folding 2nd row should liberate a big loading area. I was keen because I need to carry bike & golf cart(manual).

To be able to see the bonnet ahead is a great feeling, I always hoped Mahindra vehicle would offer that view! Will check this when I visit to see, my ht. is 6.1ft, should be the same as your experience I guess.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:13   #756
BHPian

What were they thinking when they designed that hideous looking AMT gear lever? Umbrella handles look better than that these days...

For a vehicle that costs 9 lakh+, the 3 lakh AMT Nano gear lever looks better than that.

Last edited by pradkumar : 11th September 2015 at 09:17.
Old 11th September 2015, 09:24   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
After going through the website and the 360 spin and pics, I'm starting to get some sense of disproportionate ratios in the vehicle. The wheels look one size too small for the height of the vehicle, the back looks quite ordinary, boxy and chopped off. It has a lot of resemblance with Quanto on the rear and those vertical tail lamps look very old school especially with a flat and boxy back. But still would go for a test drive before I make a decision.
For everyone comparing the looks to the Quanto:
I'd agree with the rear being boxy, but I'd disagree with the resemblance to the Quanto. Not every boxy design is a Quanto. This design in my opinion looks very well proportioned. I dare not draw any comparisons with the H3, but the proportions are closer to that end of the boxy spectrum than the tall awkward Quanto rear.

Overall the design seems to have grown on me, and I'd assume it to have quite some road presence that would help it stand out from the crowd of grown-up hatchbacks pretending to be SUVs
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-mahindra_quanto_rearview.jpg  

Ikart is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:30   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
BTW why there is about 0.9L difference for AT and manual versions? AMT is so costly? AMT trim even skips the micro-hybrid.
Nice catch. AMT came to offset the cost of Automatics, but slowly manufacturers place AMT as hitech Automatics price. Earlier price difference between Auto and Manual was around 1L difference, AMT shouldnt cost more than 40-50K. I believe less than 4m, 1500cc duty reduction is for the Manufacturers to pocket the extra cash not passing to the customers. If this rule is absent we all chugging happily with 1.6l petrols and 2l diesels
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:34   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Visited Anant cars showroom today along with my friend who took delivery of his XUV.

Attachment 1413040
No one said this till now , so I'll go ahead and say it . They even copied the head lights . LIke they copied the AC from maruti .

Nope , the headlights are not copied from Ford edge , they have been taken directly from Ashok Leyland Dost . Yes you read that right .
Attached Images

gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:38   #760
Senior - BHPian

Good god this thing is uglier than donkey's behind. The base is still unmistakably Quanto with even uglier clothes. Atleast the Quanto never tried to pretend that it was a looker, this one does and it makes it doubly more horrible. You need to ask... what were they thinking?

The same negatives as the Quanto - body is still too big for the wheels, its still to high, the rear is cut abruptly, the rear wheels inside the body line, there is no sense or purpose to the design... it is just a bloody mish mash. I would not like to be seen dead in this monstrosity of car design.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th September 2015 at 09:45.
extreme_torque is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:53   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
No one said this till now , so I'll go ahead and say it . They even copied the head lights . LIke they copied the AC from maruti .

Nope , the headlights are not copied from Ford edge , they have been taken directly from Ashok Leyland Dost . Yes you read that right .
Yes, even i was thinking in the same line when i saw the spy pics. M&M picked parts bin from every other manufacturer and created new car over the ugly Quanto. OT..AL Dost engine is marvellous, incredible pickup and super top speed. Single handedly took over TATA Ace.
Old 11th September 2015, 10:17   #762
Senior - BHPian

I guess it costs atleast 35% lower than the S Cross. Hence the compromise is reflected in the exterior design.

Interiors aren't very upmarket, but they seem pretty decent.

It's not like Mahindras' after sales are massively impressive either.

My Verdict : There should be a really good warranty offer & this may just turn out to be an "overall" brilliant offering.

P.S. : I still believe that if there's any company in the market that can deliver a product at VFM price, it's TATA. They'd sold the Storme (a proper SUV) starting at 8.95L last year.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 11th September 2015 at 10:42.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:31   #763
BHPian

Whoever did the market research - I am not sure who is M&M targeting with this car!

Consider this:
An urban customer, whose is looking at Ecosport, Duster / Terrano, Creta in 8-12L range - would they ever come and have a look at TUV 300? I mean, who wants jump seats in a compact SUV? Isn't that enough turn off?
(Off topic, I know there are costlier trims of Duster / Creta, and these cars are not under 4m. But honestly, as a customer, do we really care, whether it sticks to 4m rule or not?)
Consider a rural customer - who purchases Bolero / Scorpio / Sumo / Safari etc. They need a plain utilitarian off-roader. I don't think, having bluetooth connectivity, steering mounted controls, keyless entry etc add any useful value. I don't think they would be willing to pay Bolero's price for low powered, smaller car, for these additional extras.
One point about the price: Bolero comes under 27% excise duty, has 2.5L Diesel and greater than 4m. TUV 300 is less than 4m, 1.5L Diesel, pays 12% excise duty, but still priced greater than Bolero. I don't think it is justified.
As other media's say, this isn't a killer price tag - nobody is going to run to this car, just because Creta / S-Cross / Jazz etc were priced high recently.
hybridpetrol is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:42   #764
BHPian

Got to see the vehicle in the flesh yesterday. A few points:
- Looks much better in the flesh than what I expected from the pics. I'm guessing this will depend on personal preference.
- The special order green looks really good. Carries of the body kit well
- The interior space is the best I've seen in a sub 4m vehicle. Rear leg room seemed better than a Duster. Rear seat can comfortably seat 3 across
- Boot space of 384l seemed adequate. A size larger than the typical hatchback
- Interior fit and finish seems good.
- Didn't get a chance to drive it so no impressions on that.

As someone who recently bought an S-Cross 1.3 Zeta, this would definitely have been on the consideration set. It has better space than the S-Cross and comparable power. I can't say how drive/handling compare. Peace of mind would be higher with the S-Cross I guess. The S-Cross costs ~1.5l more for the Zeta 1.3 vs the T8.

I had picked the S-Cross over the Ecosport (too cramped), the Creta (didn't like the way it drove; had pre booked so waiting period wasnt an issue) and the i20/i20 Active (drive). Finally it came down to the Duster and the S-Cross. The Duster lost out due to interior quality despite the larger boot (which was important to me)
jaibir is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 10:48   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
My Verdict : There should be a really good warranty offer & this may just turn out to be an "overall" brilliant offering.
Warranty is for 3 years/1 Lac Km, which is good IMO from Mahindra. It will also give Mahindra an option to better this product based on customer feedbacks. I am sure this will cater the customers who are looking for an SUV with a limited budget.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread