Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th September 2015, 12:08   #811
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
No Mahindra Quanto is going to stay here, even its going to get a facelift.
WTH! So, these two so called SUV's will be eating each other. What kind of marketing strategy does Indian companies come up with is hard to imagine. If they think that Quanto and TUV has different target customers then I donot know how correct they are. Quanto was supposed tobe a filler, now with TUV3OO launched, Both will have to fight each other to survive.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:27   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

WTH! So, these two so called SUV's will be eating each other. What kind of marketing strategy does Indian companies come up with is hard to imagine. If they think that Quanto and TUV has different target customers then I donot know how correct they are. Quanto was supposed tobe a filler, now with TUV3OO launched, Both will have to fight each other to survive.
I think they'd strip the quanto and price it lower than the TUV by some margin.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:32   #813
BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
No Mahindra Quanto is going to stay here, even its going to get a facelift.
Thats true. But it may drop the Quanto name and pick up a name like CUV 300 or so. There are rumours of it being called XUV300, but I think thats doubtful . Theygoing to develop multiple lines of vehicles XUV (premium series), CUV series (people haulers), TUV series ( tough vehicles), etc.

There is also a high probability that we might see a revised version of mHawk 80 taking position in the 300 coded models, and perhaps a power jump from 84bhp to around 100-101 ( similar to Scorpio - XUV power difference). My suggestion though they should drop the spare wheel from the back to under the vehicle, to keep the differentiation between the two wider, and should focus totally on road comfort, and flexibility within the vehicle, on areas like comfort.

The TUV 300 remains a key plan for the similar line of cars from M&M.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:35   #814
Senior - BHPian

While the TUV300 seems a decent effort, one thing that puzzles me is why M&M simply didn't use the CRDE engine from the Thar for this vehicle. It has only slightly higher BHP and torque figures, is BS4 compliant and am sure could have been tweaked to satisfy future emission norms too.

Of course, the ideal scenario would have been if they had resurrected the Bolero Storm in limited numbers at least, using the above engine. It would have flown off the shelves, I bet!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 12th September 2015 at 12:45.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:36   #815
BHPian

Checked out the TUV 3OO and also test drove it twice (yesterday and again this morning). Its not that bad in its looks as is made to be on this thread.

It sure is boxy and looks a bit out of place when compared to all the curvy and creased up wheels on road today.

However the greatest SUV's like the Range Rover Freelanders, Defenders, Pajeros, Jeeps, Hummers etc. have been very successful in their boxy avatars.

The clutch is soft, it handles well, it soaked up the potholes well, the seat offered nice support and is comfortable/nice to drive. The interiors feel good and it feels roomy and bright.

I like the practical approach of M&M plonking in two seats at the rear and also like the way they have utilized the space over a 4m span. The ecosport over the same span feels a lot more cramped and claustrophobic on the rear seats than the Swift

Honestly, I have fallen in love with it, however will not buy it, until its launched in a 4WD or AWD version with the rear seats having a split option together with the option of adjusting the rear support incline.

Thanks M&M for a very practical design and attempt to cater to the folks looking for a SUV with limited budget.

Last edited by yikes6633 : 12th September 2015 at 12:41.
yikes6633 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:37   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not sure if anyone noticed this: the AMT variants seem to be detuned (81 bhp) compared to the manual version (84 bhp). Assuming that the underlying gearbox is the same, the detune appears surprising.
I even noticed the same and posted it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3799208 (Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs)

I think this is done in favor of fuel efficiency. The "jerky-ness" is a function of Torque and not BHP.
Old 12th September 2015, 13:22   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
While the TUV300 seems a decent effort, one thing that puzzles me is why M&M simply didn't use the CRDE engine from the Thar for this vehicle. It has only slightly higher BHP and torque figures, is BS4 compliant and am sure could have been tweaked to satisfy future emission norms too.

Of course, the ideal scenario would have been if they had resurrected the Bolero Storm in limited numbers at least, using the above engine. It would have flown off the shelves, I bet!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thar's CRDe engine is 2498cc while TUV's is a 1493cc, which along with sub 4m length enables the TUV for only 12.5% excise duty against 24%.
RoadSurfer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 13:24   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
How do they eat each other or fight each other? It doesn't matter which one the customers prefer, as long as the customer picks one of them, Mahindra is happy.
Old 12th September 2015, 13:29   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Thar's CRDe engine is 2498cc while TUV's is a 1493cc, which along with sub 4m length enables the TUV for only 12.5% excise duty against 24%.
Just to add to that, the lower excise rules include:
Petrol engine: 1.2L
Diesel engine: 1.5L
Length: 4m

These are the restrictions given to car manufacturers and hence we see the TUV with a 1493cc engine.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 13:45   #820
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Got a chance to check out TUV300 at Mahindra showroom near Hydernagar, Miyapur.
Angular Doors: Look at the sloping angle on the door. Although the angle is not prominent in the image attached, but the angle is very prominent in reality..........I stood few centimeters away from the door on outside and opened the door slightly fast (some issue with the door, not opening smoothly with all the covers on seats, doorpads etc). My eye line (slightly bent) is looking towards the glass area on the door. Because the door is angled outward towards the top, the top of the door hit me very hard on forehead.
Overall its a mixed bag for me. I'll wait to test drive the T8 variant before forming an opinion.
I understand your remarks completely about the angular doors - it can catch anyone unawares, and one needs to be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
The looks of this vehicle is smashing. I am not going to humour the apologists for Jap .....to do so. This looks WAY better than an EcoSport.
Disclaimer : I don't work for M & M , in any direct or indirect way, and I don't even own a M & M product ! Stop bashing a perfect design, for the heck of it and if u still feel the urge, think about the monstrosities which Maruti launches in the name of small car designs.
Terrific! I've been crying myself hoarse about this tendency of bashing of Indian cars while bending over backwards to endorse candyfloss "item numbers" from overseas mfrs. Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
...........But the weirdest part I find is the quiet omission of 4WD!! I mean, they call it a "true-blue SUV", compare it with battle tanks, show it breaking (literally ) through gates, and then ultimately launch it in RWD only!! :banghead: Doesn't make sense at all.
The fact is that, as per the media reports, a 4WD version is in the pipe-line and should be out sooner rather than later. But as for the RWD on offer, I must state emphatically that for most SUV (not necessarily off-road!) addicts - I'm an also-ran! - a FWDer hatchback posing as an SUV (Ecosport, Creta, Avventura, S-Cross et al) is anathema. The least one expects in any self-respecting SUV is standard RWD (and preferably AWD/4WD as an option). Like many others on the forum, I am also waiting for the 4WD version to be launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not sure if anyone noticed this: the AMT variants seem to be detuned (81 bhp) compared to the manual version (84 bhp). Assuming that the underlying gearbox is the same, the detune appears surprising.
This a real downer. As has been discussed elsewhere on this forum (if I remember it was on the Nano review thread) the AMT feature seems to function best with a surfeit of available power - and to reduce the power further from the standard output (down to 81 from 84) is a real disappointment. Specially keeping in mind that this engine in its earlier avatar (in the Quanto) had a healthy output (100 bhp/248 nm). One is left to assume that this sacrifice has been done on the altar of FE. I have not seen any mention of kerb weight yet on the specs released so far, which would give us an idea of the power/weight ratio, to make an educated guess of the performance of the car. No mention yet of the engine rpm's either, corresponding to the peak power/torque outputs, to make an informed estimate about the drivability in town/highway.
Old 12th September 2015, 14:22   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
These are the restrictions given to car manufacturers and hence we see the TUV with a 1493cc engine.
Ahh, ok ok. I didn't know engine cc also played a part in the excise duty reduction; used to think it's only the length that matters.

Thanks for the enlightenment
Old 12th September 2015, 14:25   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
One general question - Since the back door has jump seats, how is the boot space measured? Is this 384L including the 2 additional passengers in these seats? In other words, if the jump seats were not occupied, does the boot capacity increase?
Yes, the boot space increases to 420L from 384L if the jump seats are folded or removed.
Old 12th September 2015, 15:14   #823
BHPian

Had a test drive and below are the points:
1. Looks good. However, the front resembles Bolero. I don't have any problem with that but few potential customer may return due to the inevitable comparison with the Bolero
2. Engine is very responsive and does not feel under-powered at all (upto 100kmph).
3. NVH is terrible. I have driven Quanto and it is much more finer than this.
4. Seating position is low.
5. Interior space is limited. Quanto (sub 4 mts.) offers more space than my Scorpio.
6. No turbo lag and no turbo boost
7. ~3 months waiting for AMT. Mind that this is not due to pending order but due to slow production line
8. Quanto AMT will launch in 3 months. I am not sure how it will be placed.
9. 215/75 R15 looks a size smaller; however are perfect for the purpose.
10. 3rd row seat is much better than Quanto
purohitanuj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 15:34   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
How do they eat each other or fight each other? It doesn't matter which one the customers prefer, as long as the customer picks one of them, Mahindra is happy.
Your correct. If i would have been in M& M below will be my approach :

- Refresh the Xylo rather than Quanto. Tweak the ride and handling and present it with better interiors. This can become an effective alternative to Innova. Though it will not dent its sales, but surely will give a good competition.

- Kill the Quanto. Sorry to say this but its known to whole world as a failure.

- Remove the jump seats in TUV300 and present it with a better rear end.

Job done
Old 12th September 2015, 15:41   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
Ever seen a Landcruiser? The Ford Endeavour? ...last but not the least, anyone who says an EcoSport is a better looking car than the TUV 300, needs to buy a curvy sedan, before he loses the urge to do so. This looks WAY better than an EcoSport.
Landcruiser and Endeavour are proportionate designs. People are not bashing boxy design, they are bashing the odd proportions.

I do not appreciate your tone of suggesting me to buy a curvy sedan. I will buy a curvy or boxy sedan if they do not look oddballs and fit my requirement. Go to Ecosport review thread and see how many criticized and how many appreciated it's design. Moreover, the design of not bashed based on it's origin. People here appreciated XUV and Scorpio and both these cars are Indian and by Mahindra.
Closed Thread