Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th September 2015, 11:55   #871
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

From a Scorpio owner just one word "Disappointed" after my first look a the TUV3OO. The front looks great but it ends so abruptly it seems that something is missing.

The side profile was so unimpressive that I did not even opt for a TD and this sentiment was shared by my 9 year old who is a bigger car buff then me.

Will see if the rumors about the long wheel base TUV300 (+) are true.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:18   #872
BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Visited VVC Motors, Kondapur, Hyderabad yesterday (Sunday) along with my 10 year old son who wants to see the car in person and he was pushing me all through the day as I went to the showroom for seeing the car on Friday without taking him. He is so passionate about cars and identifies most of the cars which are over 50-100 meters away and in a group (some even I couldn't identify). Wish there is some competition for that so that I could make him participate in that.

Coming back to the car, the one I saw on Friday was a T6 variant. Luckily VVC motors has T8 variant on display and also another one for test drive. I was told that it would take 1.5 hours for me to get a test drive as there are lot of people waiting for the test drive. My son wanted to wait for the 1.5 hours to get the test drive today itself. He was impressed with the car.

I asked the SA to get me into the rear seat of a test drive that is happening with others so that I could test other factors from the rear seat. SA acted immediately and got me into the rear seat.

Two young guys were in the front seat for the test drive. Another SA, my son and myself were seated in the second row.

Few points from the test drive.
  1. The two guys shared a 4 km drive among themselves and luckily I got to drive 2 km towards the end of their drive.
  2. The two guys had driven the car aggressively pushing the car across traffic. (I'll never be able to drive any other car in such a way other than my own.) The engine felt very responsive and gathered pick-up easily. There is no lag in the way the car gathered speed.
  3. NVH: NVH levels are very minimum. Some points to note to keep the NVH comments in context. We couldn't cross 80 kmph at any time. I understand there are mixed reports about NVH, so let me add some more context. I had driven a Scorpio recently and TUV300 NVH levels are a lot better. I drive a 3-cylinder WagonR (50K run) as my daily drive. TUV300 is way better than my WagonR.
  4. Brakes: During my drive of 2 km, I could test the brakes. I'm disappointed in this aspect. Brakes should have been better, but there is no nosedive like I observed in Scorpio. But i'll reserve my final judgement on brakes till I have a lengthy test drive.
  5. Voice warning if seat belts are not in place. Sounds good.
  6. Voice quality from the media system (playing radio) is good. However the highest volume is reached out soon, although I agree no one will listen to such high volumes on a continuous basis.
  7. Power windows: Somehow I like the placement of the buttons. As someone commented earlier in the thread, being a 6'1" person, I have to drag my hands in if they are placed on the door, but with buttons placed near the hand brake lever, it is perfect reach for me. However there is no auto-up/auto-down functionality for the power windows, not even for the driver window which is disappointing considering that I have auto-down on my WagonR Lxi.
  8. I had to wait for 5 minutes at a traffic signal just before the showroom to conclude the test drive. I didn't notice any vibrations on the pedals or the gear lever.
  9. Turning radius: is a big turnoff for me. I had to take a U turn at the traffic signal that I mentioned above, and it was a squeeze to turn the car comfortably and it taken a lot of space. Not sure how it'll be with the tight parking spot my apartment.
  10. Clutch: It is very notchy as mentioned by other members and the overdrive review. Gear changes are not smooth and will need some effort, but if you change slowly & smoothly they are fine. Need to confirm this again.
  11. Ride Quality: As it is a very short test drive most of the road being good, I couldn't tell the difference. SA was insistent that TUV has good ride quality. However I tried to drive over some uneven road and the car handled them well. Scorpio's bouncing nature is not present.
  12. Seat Height: I checked out T6 variant on Friday in display. Although the height at which the seat is set provides decent visibility of the road ahead, I thought I might get a better view with T8 and seat height adjuster. But its a downer. T8's top most height is what T6 is set against. Using the T8 height adjuster will only take you down in terms of height.
  13. Arm Rests: It is good that Mahindra provided these for both driver and passenger. Cheers for that. However they are of low quality visually. Probably adding leather covers etc might be the way to go for those arm rests.
  14. Buttons: Although the buttons on the center console look premium, other buttons next to steering are from 10 years ago. Mahindra should have taken care of this considering they are positioning this against Ecosport.
  15. Although the MID & Media display shown the Distance to Empty figure, I could not find the mileage figure in the short time that I got to drive. Probably it might be there and might need effort to get that displayed.
  16. AC: AC worked well. Although outside temperature is not hot, it looks like rear AC vents wont be missed on this car.
  17. Rear Seat: It was comfortable to sit in the rear seat, but the seat is setup too upright and will not offer relaxing capability during long drives. I heard the same complaint from the other two guys who were along with me on the test drive.
  18. Seat Reach: There is lot of reach for the Front seats to move ahead/back. Being 6'1" with long legs, I was able to achieve my perfect driving position 1 or 2 inches ahead of the full back position. Attached is the picture of the rear seat when the front seat is pushed all the way back. Please note that I prefer to have the seat fully back in whichever car that I test drove, but with TUV300, I prefer to seat 1 or 2 inches ahead of the full back position.
    Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20150913_163434.jpg

Few other points:
  • SA told there will be around 15-20 days for the delivery of the vehicle if ordered now
  • This dealership got only Black and White cars for now. Other colors might take a week to reach the dealership
  • SA said that Mahindra is making 5000 vehicles per month as per the internal communication from Mahindra. I'm not confident on this.
  • Green color will take 3 months of waiting (Make on order)
  • Mahindra is clever in not adding any of the cladding to keep the costs down. And they are charging 40,000 as standard fitment which includes some cladding. Not 100% sure what comes within that and also if it mandatory or not.
  • No handling charges provided in the price list for TUV300. All other cars in the showroom has this listed as 6000/7000 depending on the car. Not sure what's happening with this? Pricelist from another dealer as well does not list handling charges.

My son is sold out on the vehicle and he wants me to buy. I have been making him pay visits to most of the launches in the last 14 months (Mobilio, Zest, Creta, S Cross etc). So not sure if he got frustrated that I might not upgrade my car at all.

Will I buy the car?
  • Car looks good in person. I'm impressed. But somehow it does not have the great look/wow factor. I owned two WagonR's for the last 9 years, so boxy looks aren't a downer for me. With some accessories loaded, TUV300 will look almost great is what I believe.
  • I asked SA to call me whenever they receive any of the Blue, Green, Orange colors, so that I can check them in person.
  • I asked SA to call for a lengthy test drive after initial rush settles down, probably a week later.
  • I'll only be able to decide after the lengthy test drive and off course Team BHP official review.
  • As there are no other car launches that I'm still waiting except for Duster facelift, I might take a plunge towards TUV300 if Duster facelift takes forever to reach the market.

Few small things that Mahindra should do immediately on TUV300.
  • Easy removal of Jump Seats to facilitate more luggage space. Although the jump seats can be removed by removing the screws supporting them, I'm looking for some kind of lever mechanism to remove the seats (like in Lodgy). Also seat belts for the Jump seats.
  • Reclining option for the Rear Seat when jump seats are removed
  • Split Rear Seat for additional flexibility of luggage

Who will buy TUV300 over Ecosport?
Whoever prefers Function over Form will definitely tilt towards TUV300.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 14th September 2015 at 12:29. Reason: Added comments about AC
mrbaddy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 12:38   #873
BHPian

I liked TUV300 in the Black shade shared by neil.jericho and I did not like the white coloured one at all (I don't know why!). Any idea which green shade it is likely to be? Edit: Just noticed the green shade in one of the earlier pages. Would look better without the chrome additions.

Last edited by avingodb : 14th September 2015 at 12:39.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:47   #874
BHPian

Guys did a test drive of TUV on Saturday, Here are my observations.

* Biggest drawback is the 2nd Row seats, very uncomfortable (seating position is very upright). Dont know why Mahindra chose this layout when they had already got negetive feedback on this seat layout in quanto and had to subsequently change them to Yoga seats. They should have gone with Yoga seats of quanto from the word GO.

* Engine is very silent and cannot be adjudged as a diesel from someone who does not know. (i personally drive a Linea MJD and Amaze iDTECH)

* Front seats are comfortable and the layout of the Dashboard is modern.

* Ride and Handling is far superior than that of New Scorpio.

The only damper in my booking is the middle row.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th September 2015 at 13:23. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
nishant kar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:11   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Here's my mod... *if I buy a Mahindra TUV300

I tried to break its Jeep like boxy design & go a little towards Range Rover Evoque styling. Hope you like it!

I have also shown this mod to Mahindra workshop guys. They Loved it & said it can be easily done in their workshop.
@kalleo4, thanks for the pictures, it is looking really good. If it is not too much of a botheration, can the running board and the lower part of the bumper be blackened? Would like to see how it looks and I am very bad at photoshop, so could not risk it

Last edited by BlackPearl : 14th September 2015 at 13:12.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:12   #876
BHPian

Got a chance to Test Drive the TUV3oo T8 Manual on Sunday. Was a short Test Drive about 3Kms and the ODO read 89 KMs when I started.

I drive an Alto Lxi (2008) model; a three cylinder 800 CC engine; and frankly this is a huge step ahead for me. Huge Spaces inside and Commanding Driving Position. The Auto Rickshaws on Mumbai roads felt punny . They moved out of the way as soon as the big bumper was behind them . Engine was punchy, did not feel any Turbo Lag. Top Speed achieved was 70 KMPH; and inside the vehicle, felt very comfortable. AC was very chilling and the Micro Hybrid system works like a charm.

NHV was acceptable. During my drive, I did not notice a Speed Breaker at about 60 KMPH, and hit the breaks hard. ABS did kick in but, it had spongy feel to it. The bump was absorbed very well and better than I expected. While taking a turn the Static bending headlight worked like a charm but Steering is a little heavy. Only issue was while reversing the Huge Back gives very little visibility. The Sensors work well but Reverse Camera is sorely missed. The ORVM's are a huge ++ and help the cause.

I would probably want another Highway Test Drive at three digit speed before I could finalize my booking. I am inclined towards the blue color.

Note - the black body Armour kit cost approx 48K.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th September 2015 at 13:23. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Agnijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:18   #877
BHPian

A leading domestic brokerage firm has today put out a post launch report of the TUV 300. Not too often do brokerages issue reports relating to product launches; guess M&M is pulling all stops.

The two key takeaways from this report are the positioning of the TUV 300 as an off roader and the creating a new revenue stream for M&M from sale of accessories.Given below are some extracts from the report:

Quote:
"We believe ‘TUV3OO’ is a praiseworthy effort and will help M&M gain positive traction in the compact SUV segment, aiding market share recovery in domestic UVs. M&M is soon going to heat up the compact SUV market in few months from now with ‘XUV5OO’-based ‘S101’. We believe, while ‘S101’ could be its weapon of choice for urban markets, over a longer period ‘TUV3OO’ would focus more on serious off-roaders (given its body-on-ladder frame and masculine styling) and semi-urban/rural markets. We stay bullish on the domestic UV market and expect M&M to be a key beneficiary of this growth story".

"TUV3OO has impressive accessories collection, highlighting company’s focus on accessories. While Indians tend to spend relatively less on accessories, the trend has been catching up in last few years. In its accessories list, Mahindra has not only focused on design elements like chrome ORVM, chrome inserts and grills, handles, rear spoilers, illuminated scuff plates, but also high end gadgets like, premium rear seat entertainment systems, infotainment systems, heads-up-display (for driver), high definition rear view camera and logo projection lamps. The focus on accessories would also support M&M develop accessories/merchandise as an alternative revenue line and enhance Mahindra’s brand appeal".

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th September 2015 at 13:24. Reason: Mentioning the excerpt from the report within quotes.
Zezé is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:26   #878
BHPian

I have been silently following this thread since some time now. I must say, the design of this TUV3oo grows on you. When I saw the first pictures of this car, I was frustrated that they spoiled the butch looking and decently selling Bolero with this contraption. It looked like a copy-paste job from various cars : Stingray, S Cross and even the Ashok Leyland Dost!

A video review on the television did change my views. It was a decent and capable machine with not-so-good styling, but good underpinnings. One comment about the 'American' styling on this particular thread did change my mindset. It looks awful in the red avatar, and a typical made-in-china toy with that hideous grill and boxy styling. Going from the front three quarter, everything feels nice upto the rear door, after which the tilted design (reminds me of the Land Rover) is suddenly chopped off with no design elements to nuetralise the effect. That last part looks really bad on that otherwise modern looking Bolero. Those going for the lower variants will be happy with their purchase but I doubt whether thise going for the top end variant would be happy after spending some serious cash on a basic-looking car. Those buyers will consider moving to another car (Scorpio, basically) instead of spending huge money on this one.

Moreover, the Name - TUV - sounds very childish and funny to me. XUV did have some grunt in its name, but TUV sounds more weird than anything in my Punjabi-accent!

Waiting for a test drive of this car before giving a strong opinion. Also hoping to have a look of some subtle colours than the 'please-look-at-me' red colour on display everywhere.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:58   #879
BHPian

All TUV 300 aspirants can book their vehicle online by paying Rs 20,000/- with Mahindra's own e-commerce store :-

http://www.m2all.com/auto/

Prices mentioned are ex-showroom prices.
(Default - Delhi ex-showroom prices)
You can pay the booking amount of 20,000/- or the full ex-showroom price via payment gateway or wallet to book!
And also keep in mind that their website is really slow for the moment, so do have lot of patience!

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m1.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m2.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m3.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m4.1.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m4.jpg

Just an example, not a check out of the above page!
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-m5.jpg

Last edited by johannskaria : 14th September 2015 at 15:07.
johannskaria is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:04   #880
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra logs into e-commerce, unveils portal to sell its products, including TUV300

Mahindra Group jumped into the booming ecommerce segment with the launch of M2ALL.com, a portal from where consumers can buy all Mahindra products.For now the website offers products cars, two wheelers, real estate and power solutions. Within two years, the portal aims to sell products of all Mahindra Group companies, along with complementary products and services from other manufacturers.

The online marketplace has begun taking bookings for the new compact SUV -- Mahindra TUV300. "India's e-tailing market is expected to reach $50 billion by 2020, growing at a CAGR of 47%. We are seeking this opportunity and this is the right time to go into it," said Group CFO VS Parthasarathy. "The portal works on the click and brick model with the products being ordered online, and Mahindra's partners - its dealers, distributors, and logistics teams helping in delivery."

Parthasarathy said the products on the website will not be priced differently from its offline channels. The newly formed team has only about ten employees right now, with an average age of 32. Mahindra is hiring more for the venture, and is looking at poaching experienced talent from other ecommerce companies in India.

M2ALL is a part of a new company called Mahindra e-Market Pvt Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra.

Read more: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48955235.cms
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:06   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

A set of quick observations from a test drive yesterday, in the company of BHPian predatorwheelz:

The good
  • Excellent NVH control and damping. A 3-cylinder motor usually makes its presence felt a lot more than a 4-cylinder, but this one is so well-stabilized that it would be hard to tell.
  • Ride quality is stellar at city speeds (not exceeding 70 kmph). Body roll, yaw and dive are in the sedan league. Ride over potholes and bumps is very absorbent, with hardly any noise. That does not mean this'll be a great car to take high-speed corners in - the tall stance and high centre of gravity WILL obey the laws of physics.
  • Acceleration through gears is reasonably good but leaves one wanting a fair bit more; the gearshift could be a lot slicker.
  • Brakes bite well, but seem like they need more servo assist.
  • The cabin is roomy, with loads of shoulder room and head room. Remember, this car is a few mm wider than a Scorpio.
  • Control ergonomics is decent.
  • Dashboard plastics and design are streets ahead in quality compared to any other Mahindra-developed vehicle.
  • Ground clearance is actually a lot more than the 190 mm mentioned. The engine and gearbox sit way up high (in anticipation of space requirement for the part-time 4wd system to be installed later?). Wading depth should be massive.
  • Engine bay has enough space to install a 4-cylinder motor in future. Or a V6.
  • The box section chassis from the Scorpio is an overkill for a car of this size. Chassis rigidity over potholes and poor roads is understandably excellent, but it adds to the weight.
  • 3 year / 100,000 km warranty, extendable to 4th and 5th years, but no details available yet about the number of km or cost of buying extended warranty.
The bad
  • The fuel tank is plastic, located as the lowest point midships, and an Achilles' heel. Sorely missing is a metal protection plate there.
  • Underbody has flat cladding made of fibre reinforced plastic. Does not cover the whole length of the underbody, but stops short somewhere around the middle.
  • The front door's trailing edge is raked back by 7"-8", and sharp & pointed. Pulling open the door gets that angled edge into the face of a tall person. BHPian predatorwheelz received a bad bruise on his forehead while opening the right front door. Users will have to remember to step back a fair distance while pulling the door open. Someone seriously messed up with the ergonomics there.
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-doortrailingedg.jpg
  • M&M's design team, amongst other briefs, lost the part where aerodynamics was supposed to be included. The term "aerodynamics of a brick" comes to mind very strongly. The frontal area is massive, with squared edges, and IMO bigger than the Scorpio or Bolero. It would be very interesting to take a look at the Cd figures of the TUV3OO vs. all the other SUVs available. And what would that do to the FE numbers at speeds above 80 kmph? (OT thought: How many of our made-in-India passenger vehicles undergo wind tunnel tests?)
  • The bonnet edge is really high. Checking fluids may require a step ladder or stool for shorter persons. So is the rear door lip. OTOH, the nose being so high could be an inadvertent safety feature, in that it'll probably save lives by preventing underrun if tail-ending a truck, even one without underrun protection bars!
Conclusion
  • Quirky at times, with a love-it or hate-it look, but this is the vehicle that provides the best drive and ride comfort of any Mahindra-developed passenger car.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 14th September 2015 at 15:08.
SS-Traveller is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:08   #882
BHPian

The Square arches on the front wheel looks bigger than the ones in the rear. Why could they not make it of same height? Looks like they designed the grille and front wheel arches and were so happy with the outcome and were lost in admiration that they did not have time to do the rest of the vehicle.
Reminds me of a friend who was very meticulous in doing the first 2 (of 5) problems in Engineering Drawing exam and ran out of time to do others and so had to finish them using just a ruler and HB pencil!!

Last edited by DWind : 14th September 2015 at 15:10.
Old 14th September 2015, 16:04   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A set of quick observations from a test drive yesterday, in the company of BHPian predatorwheelz:
Most of SST's observations are echoed by me. In addition, I'd like to add that the abundance of torque makes for an excellent vehicle to drive within the city. In both my (Hyundai) CRDI cars, I tend to overtake the vehicle in front only by pressing the accelerator, without downshifting. The torque does the job. In the TUV it seemed child's play.

Manoeuvring the car in city traffic also seemed very easy, thanks to the dimensions of a hatch, the easy turning circle and the ride height of an SUV!

Quote:
The front door's trailing edge is raked back by 7"-8", and sharp & pointed. Pulling open the door gets that angled edge into the face of a tall person. BHPian predatorwheelz received a bad bruise on his forehead while opening the right front door. Users will have to remember to step back a fair distance while pulling the door open. Someone seriously messed up with the ergonomics there.
Yes I agree. When a person opens a car door, he is subconsciously distancing between the handle and his hip point. If the top of the door juts out 7/8 inches beyond that, it can cause serious injury, as I discovered yesterday.

Quote:
this is the vehicle that provides the best drive and ride comfort of any Mahindra-developed passenger car.
My first comment to SST after we got out of the showroom. People who discuss cars with me know I'm generally skeptical of Mahindra cars. But this one was a revelation.
predatorwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:45   #884
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback SS.

The following point is of particular interest.
Quote:
[*]Ground clearance is actually a lot more than the 190 mm mentioned. The engine and gearbox sit way up high (in anticipation of space requirement for the part-time 4wd system to be installed later?). Wading depth should be massive.

I could not get a test drive but went to the showroom to have good look at the gaps between the lower cross member, gearbox and sump as we had discussed. I was crawling under the vehicle to the utter dismay of the sales people who were whispering among themselves - who is this crazy person who instead of admiring the sheer "Rover-esque" beauty of the TUV is sprawling on the floor
BlackPearl is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:53   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Manoeuvring the car in city traffic also seemed very easy, thanks to the dimensions of a hatch, the easy turning circle and the ride height of an SUV!
The TUV300 has a turning circle radius of 5.35 M, and you found it easy in city driving?

Or are you referring to something else when you say "easy turning circle"?

Cheers,
Vikram
Closed Thread