Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2015, 22:55   #1081
BHPian

Default Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
As Mahindra invested so much time & resources on the development of this vehicle ..
understand the merits & demerits of 3-cyl vs 4-cyl engines.
4-cylinder refined engine would have made this car into a more complete package.

.. why not to widen its appeal further, I'd say to introduce 2.2 mHawk engine as an option in its mid T6 & top-end T8 variants. .... 4x4 vehicle in their portfolio under 10-lacs price range, so TUV300 with 2.2 or lesser but 4-cylinder engine with 4x4 gearbox can give Mahindra what they need in their portfolio ...Tank-like capabilities...

.....t.

I am just counting the list of features here! And yet maintain the price under 10L? Tough.

Well if they did all this and offered TUV under 10L MM would be virtually killing Scorpion sales. Scorpion recently relaunched in its 4x4 Avtar but OTR Auto 4x4 would go beyond 15K easily. Settle in for a 2x2 and it would still be be better proposition than a Creta!

Last edited by TMRT : 12th October 2015 at 22:56.
Old 13th October 2015, 00:07   #1082
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
I am just counting the list of features here! And yet maintain the price under 10L? Tough.

Well if they did all this and offered TUV under 10L MM would be virtually killing Scorpion sales. Scorpion recently relaunched in its 4x4 Avtar but OTR Auto 4x4 would go beyond 15K easily. Settle in for a 2x2 and it would still be be better proposition than a Creta!
Entry level price point, you can assume.
TUV300 T6 ex-showroom price in Delhi is Rs.7.63 lacs & Rs.7.88 lacs for T6+.
Still this variant has Rs.2.37 lacs to reach Rs.10 lacs mark & i think this is decent enough to accomodate some decent technical gear.
In all Rs.9.90-9.99 lacs is a magical figure to take the market by storm for such a package & still there can be significant difference between Scorpio & TUV pricing.
Differentiating Body style(sub 4m & large full size SUV) & equipment list alongwith around Rs.2-2.5 lacs price difference viz Scorpio can maintain their identity as well, while significantly elevating the Market appeal of Mahindra & TUV300 brand.
A thought worth considering, IMHO.
Old 13th October 2015, 19:10   #1083
BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Took delivery of the black TUV300 T8 yesterday from Zulaikha Motors, Chennai.
Initial experience -
1. Found the clutch to be slightly harder and more springy and the gear more rubbery than the vehicle I test drove earlier. Hope these will bite in to be more comfortable as time and miles go past, as today I felt that the clutch was getting lighter and the gear more manageable.
2. With the seat pushed forward to my driving position found it difficult to access the fuel lid opening lever below the drivers seat. Either you push the seat backwards or open the door to gain better access to the lever. The fuel cap is not attached to the body, so chances of the fuel station attender forgetting to replace the cap after fueling exists. (I lost my Maruti 800 fuel cap way back in 1998).
3. Drive-ability, due to the good torque, in traffic is excellent, except for the slightly hard clutch, and managed to take a tight 'U' turn from almost standstill in 3 rd gear without feeling the engine getting strained.
4. Cornering lights worked great, and is quite bright.

Will try and get an ownership report out soon.
Congratulations CAPTAIN REX on your sixth purchase!

Thanks for that quick drive on last Sunday. Thought of giving my two cents on that. Overall the black shade is really stunning. The front and side stance is giving a real sporty look. Huge improvement in the interior quality. I felt Mahindra could have also induced few changes on the rear end as well.

Drive is nice and stable even through the rough surface. It is performing decently in the low rpm levels despite having a 3 cylinder engine!

Definitely this is going to keep every box design enthusiasts on toes. Looking forward to have more rides on this mini tank

Cheers,
Cruiser_D
Cruiser_D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 21:24   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Detailed Review from Motorbeam: Link

Overall would say an average rating.

Summary
Quote:
What’s Cool
  • Looks tough and has the traditional SUV design cues
  • Interior space is impressive, the cabin is wide
  • Voice assist system works well, more so because the handbrake doesn’t disengage completely always
  • Low-end performance is excellent, pulls cleanly from idle without much lag
  • Ride quality is commendable, absorbs bumps with ease
  • Interior feel and appearance is by-far the best in any Mahindra vehicle yet

What’s Not So Cool
  • Body-on-frame platform makes it heavy resulting in lower performance and mileage
  • Dynamics are nothing to talk about
  • Vibrations kick in plenty at higher revs
  • There is no top-end performance or outright performance from the 3-pot mill
  • Name sake 7-seater, last row shockingly lacks seat-belts
Verdict
Quote:
Mahindra has put in a lot of effort in making the TUV300 and it does show in certain areas. However, still opting for a ladder-frame chassis has resulted in the vehicle losing out in certain areas like performance, handling and mileage. But the body-on-frame layout has its advantage and that’s in terms of cost, the TUV300 undercuts its rivals by a significant amount. But that’s not the point because the way we at MotorBeam see it, the TUV appears like a more modern alternative to the Bolero and thus the three double oh will end up cannibalising its sales. The Mahindra TUV300 is a good attempt but will appeal largely to those in semi-urban or rural markets only.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th October 2015 at 21:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:41   #1085
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Re: Motor beam review quoted by Rajeevraj

I would beg to differ with Motorbeam on this. In my view, the hydro-formed ladder chassis is one of the strongest plus points of the TUV 300, notwithstanding whatever losses in FE & outright performance. And as far as undercutting Bolero sales and its notional, restricted appeal to rural or semi-urban markets - well, once again in my humble view, these semantics are are notions in the minds of journalists. Actual state of affairs will be revealed in a short while when the sales figures will tell their own story.

I am an urbanite born & bred (Mumbai-Lucknow-Kolkata) and I'm just waiting for the T-BHP review to come out before confirming my decision regarding the TUV 300.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:55   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka
Re: Motor beam review quoted by Rajeevraj

I'm just waiting for the T-BHP review to come out before confirming my decision regarding the TUV 300.
When is the official team-bhp review coming out? It's been a while since this vehicle was launched.
Old 14th October 2015, 14:08   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
When is the official team-bhp review coming out? It's been a while since this vehicle was launched.
I have been eagerly awaiting the review. Although i have book a black T8 but still the Team-BHP review holds its due regards. Mods give us the review at the earliest.
nishant kar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 19:21   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
I have been eagerly awaiting the review. Although i have book a black T8 but still the Team-BHP review holds its due regards. Mods give us the review at the earliest.
Am sure the official review is under construction. As mentioned in several other threads, lot of parameters needs to be taken care of to come up with a review that meets Team-Bhp Standards.

Consider this. The Kwid review is up today. It consists of ~8-9000 words, ~150 images and several compare charts. Most other reviews out there from the popular sites don't exceed ~1000-1500 words and 20-30 images. (Yes, I was jobless enough to figure that out ). Keeping everything else aside, this itself is an indication of the time needed to get the review ready.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 03:13   #1089
BHPian

Crtorquesaver,
You have a valid point regarding the higher engine capacoty, but The rule of money saver applies. Vehicle below 4 mtr with 1.2ltr or less PETROL engine gets the tax benifit. Same if you have a vehicle below 4mtr with diesel engine below 1.5ltr, the customer benefits..
Hence mahindra has maintained the bracket.
Old 15th October 2015, 13:12   #1090
BHPian

T8 AMT waiting is more than 2 months even for normal colors loke silver and white. Wanting to book but 2 Mumbai dealers saying unable to deliver even by end of December. Are these made to order? such a long waiting for a new product might not be good for Mahindra. as it is we are taking our chances of opting for a completely new vehicle, transmission etc and Mahindra should in fact make these available quickly enough so that the feedback from initial buyers can clear the decision making for prospective buyers.
Really very long delivery timelines....
has anyone booked an AMT yet? what is your experience in your cities.
cmayur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 15:02   #1091
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Crtorquesaver,
You have a valid point regarding the higher engine capacoty, but The rule of money saver applies. Vehicle below 4 mtr with 1.2ltr or less PETROL engine gets the tax benifit. Same if you have a vehicle below 4mtr with diesel engine below 1.5ltr, the customer benefits..
Hence mahindra has maintained the bracket.
I know this very well, friend.
But to create brand awareness, to make it standout in the segment, to fill the lacuna it was having & for all the reasons i've mentioned in my posts above, this engine change can be done or atleast can be provided as an option for target set of buyers, specially when the customers are willing to pay for the change.

Many car manufacturer do this for the same reasons, like Ford Ecosport/Aspire/Figo comes with 1.5 Ti-VCT petrol engine, VW Polo GT-TDi with 1.6 TDi engine, Fiat Punto/Avventura with 1.4 petrol engine, now Abarth Punto coming with Abarth tuned 1.4 T-jet engine, even Maruti Suzuki Swift came with G13B 1.3 litre Petrol engine in beginning.

So with keeping customer demand & priorities in mind, car manufacturer can provide these to them.
CRtorquefan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 12:43   #1092
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
I know this very well, friend.
But to create brand awareness, to make it standout in the segment, to fill the lacuna it was having & for all the reasons i've mentioned in my posts above, this engine change can be done or atleast can be provided as an option for target set of buyers, specially when the customers are willing to pay for the change...........So with keeping customer demand & priorities in mind, car manufacturer can provide these to them.
Brand awareness I'd say is the least of M&M's worries. Ditto for standing out in the segment. They don't need to work on either. What should give them food for thought is the fact that the 3-yr old Quanto has the same engine - more or less - putting out 98 bhp/250 nm. Thus, after two years of development, instead of progressing, the same engine has been "developed" for the "tough as nails" TUV 300 to produce almost 15 bhp & 20 nm less! And all on the alter of improved FE and low end driveability!. I fear that all their talk of 2-stage t/charging is hot air. As any engineer worth his salt knows, 2-stage t/charging is a high-tech., high-complexity enterprise restricted to high-end cars (BMW & Volvo to name just two). That is not to belittle M&M's in-house R&D in employing twin-scroll t/charging (in itself a serious exercise) for the Quanto. And this is what I suspect is being used in the TUV300 also. I could be wrong - I doubt it tho' - but if this is the case, then M&M should ensure that their marketing & sales team choose their jargon more carefully.
Equating twin-scroll with 2-stage t/charging is rather like equating the 0.22 Woodsman target rifle with the M-16.
Old 17th October 2015, 18:41   #1093
BHPian

Went about a brief test drive. Coming from 2010 Quadrajet Aura+ Tata Manza, came back with mixed feelings.

1. Looks great given the constraints of 4m. Imposing from the front.
2. Interiors really look nice - even with missing soft dash
3. Easy to drive around with nice excellent visibility
4. Space is constrained. Maybe could have given a slider as an option without 2 seats at the rear
5. Went on some fairly rough roads and it performed as expected
6. Biggest downer is the rather hard seats. Almost developed backache and stiff neck. Anyone thought seats were hard and uncomfortable?
7. Just found it a touch bouncy even on slightly uneven roads, though went through real rough roads with aplomb and decent speeds.
8. Struggles to get beyond 60-80 types. Definitely not easy to get it to 100.
Old 18th October 2015, 02:14   #1094
BHPian

I took a test drive last week. Noticed something odd, the turbo was completely reddish with rust!

The Sales guy swore that this was normal with all the TUV's he had ever seen. Another Sales guy backed him up and said the same.

Is it?
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 10:07   #1095
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
I took a test drive last week. Noticed something odd, the turbo was completely reddish with rust!

The Sales guy swore that this was normal with all the TUV's he had ever seen. Another Sales guy backed him up and said the same.

Is it?
This is interesting - was it rust or was it some high temp. primer (looks like red oxide) or coating for anti-corrosion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmayur View Post
T8 AMT waiting is more than 2 months even for normal colors loke silver and white. Wanting to book but 2 Mumbai dealers saying unable to deliver even by end of December. Are these made to order? such a long waiting for a new product might not be good for Mahindra. as it is we are taking our chances of opting for a completely new vehicle, transmission etc and Mahindra should in fact make these available quickly enough so that the feedback from initial buyers can clear the decision making for prospective buyers.
Really very long delivery timelines....
has anyone booked an AMT yet? what is your experience in your cities.
A very valid point. Granted that mfrs have their own compulsions for their decisions, but long waiting queues & time periods can boomerang - specially with so many new compact SUVs in the pipeline waiting to jump into the fray any time now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Closed Thread