Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th July 2014, 18:24   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Why is Honda Brio not selling in big numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
First things first, the price. The Brio AT costs nearly 7 big ones, on-the-road.

The doors are tinny, the dashboard trim is all hard plastic, and the equipment list lacks rear defogger, CD player & driver seat height adjustment even in the top end variant!
FYI, the top-end VX AT does offer rear defogger & driver seat height adjust.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 18:44   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

First things first, the price. The Brio AT costs nearly 7 big ones, on-the-road. Not just that, there is no AT option in any lower variant. What's the reason for such an exclusivity, Honda?

Secondly, the feel of the car. I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the interiors, exteriors just do not feel worthy of the big asking price. The doors are tinny, the dashboard trim is all hard plastic, and the equipment list lacks rear defogger, CD player & driver seat height adjustment even in the top end variant! Just because you are providing ABS, EBD & Airbags, doesn't mean you can skimp on stuff that is just as necessary as safety features.

Next, the ride. I don't know about other folks who drive a Brio, but we found the ride to be totally choppy and unsettled over broken roads. Just does not have the planted feel of, say, a Figo or Polo for that matter. Highway manners feel nervous, if you ask me. Another thing which really bothered me was the NVH. On broken roads at about 60-80 kmph, the tyres were making so much noise, that we had to raise our voices to carry on a normal conversation. Something that is perfectly doable in just about any other hatch. And no, the car had not run a few millions miles. It had done just over 10k.
was this post purposely written to restart this discussion? a quick read will tell you that the top VX AT model has driver seat height adjust,rear defogger.you also get tilt steering adjust.
Rest of the points you make are valid and debateable. but they have been discussed in the previous posts.
bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:43   #108
BHPian

From July'2014 sales figures: "Honda Brio Sales Fall To All Time Low Of 74 Units
Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/honda-brio/honda-brio-sales-fall-time-low-74-units/#3WzWrS1KLOAhGFMh.99"

Is it because of the shift in production priorities for the Mobilio or genuinely low sales. These numbers seem quite a contrast compared to the monthly sales figures for Brio so far during its stint in India. Does someone know whats the current wait period for Brio as quoted by the dealers?
karmania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:53   #109
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html (June 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

1400 aprox. thier numbers seem to have confused crv with the brio.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hyundai have always given the better interiors and creature comforts. So that is a given.. Where they hit you is i. poorer performance and economy, and ii. higher maintenance costs (after you add up the non-standard services added by the garages).
TOTALLY AGREE!

Let's re-frame this with regards to a comparison between the Brio and i10.

What Honda gives you is a genuine car that drives really well, complains less and grows on you as time passes by.

Hyundai gives you two things best: the first thing being an attractive interior and second, a longer, baffling equipment list. These two things get you in love with the car before buying and as time and miles pass buy, you wonder why did the love affair ever take place because it's exactly opposite to what the Brio offers.
filhosdegoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

I personally found the Honda Brio looking pretty quirky. I never understood the need for such a huge rear glass which did not help with the privacy bit. The interiors of the car were well exposed. What I found more ridiculous is that this car was offered without a rear defogger and wiper!! I believe they have now added the defogger but it still needs a wiper for sure.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:42   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I personally found the Honda Brio looking pretty quirky. I never understood the need for such a huge rear glass which did not help with the privacy bit. The interiors of the car were well exposed. What I found more ridiculous is that this car was offered without a rear defogger and wiper!! I believe they have now added the defogger but it still needs a wiper for sure.
FYI the major advantage of the glass is in case of an accident, looks are subjective.

As far as safety is concerned, the horizontal bean on the Brio is set high, so in case of a normal car where the tailgate takes the impact, in case of the Brio, it is absorbed by this beam.

As far as costs are concerned, in case of a rear impact, one needs to replace only the glass(with nut & bolt) and the bumper while repairing the beam which is in the case of a Brio. In other cars, one will have to replace the bumper, glass, repair/replace the rear tailgate, painting of rear tailgate, sealant is required to fit the glass. As we know, the sealant costs almost as much as the glass, replacement of tailgate will cost a fortune, if repaired, labour charges and painting charges of the tailgate will set you off.

As far as looks are concerned, it's a personal opinion. I feel the rear glass with the black strip at the bottom looks sporty on the red and black car, whereas it doesn't entirely suit the other colors.
filhosdegoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:46   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

@Epic; Wiper yes, defogger is dicey. I have a Peugeot 205 in the UK whose rear screen defogger had been damaged (befomre I bough it second hand), since then I am always suspicious of rear defoggers in hatches. I have had a Brio V AT (pre wiper) and have been quite happy with it.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:54   #114
BHPian

I know brio is a good car but if someone hates the looks then it is very difficult to convince to buy the car. I had been for the TD of the automatic version 2 days back and my family hated looks of the car.
We went for TD of Xcent and they fell in love with the car. Call it Indian mentality or the better bang for buck offer or whatever but it is very difficult to convince them for brio once they sat in the Hyundai.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Honda mixed up the numbers when they published it?
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-brio...e-otherstories
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
From July'2014 sales figures: "Honda Brio Sales Fall To All Time Low Of 74 Units
Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/honda-brio/honda-brio-sales-fall-time-low-74-units/#3WzWrS1KLOAhGFMh.99"

Is it because of the shift in production priorities for the Mobilio or genuinely low sales. These numbers seem quite a contrast compared to the monthly sales figures for Brio so far during its stint in India. Does someone know whats the current wait period for Brio as quoted by the dealers?
If they had to cut down the production of much more successful models like City in favour of Mobilio, I don't think they would really care much about Brio, especially if Mobilio is also a success. As long as they are operating at their maximum capacity, they need not worry about failed models in their lineup.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:13   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filhosdegoa View Post
As far as costs are concerned, in case of a rear impact, one needs to replace only the glass(with nut & bolt) and the bumper while repairing the beam which is in the case of a Brio. In other cars, one will have to replace the bumper, glass, repair/replace the rear tailgate, painting of rear tailgate, sealant is required to fit the glass. As we know, the sealant costs almost as much as the glass, replacement of tailgate will cost a fortune, if repaired, labour charges and painting charges of the tailgate will set you off.
I was told by a sales agent that the rear glass hatch alone costs ~25k to replace. How much does a tailgate cost?

Also, can you point out the location of this beam?
Crazy_Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:37   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filhosdegoa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
I was told by a sales agent that the rear glass hatch alone costs ~25k to replace. How much does a tailgate cost?
Not every rear ending will need you to replace rear glass and tailgate in case of regular hatchbacks. I've seen a lot of cars plying on our roads with big dents on the boot but without broken glass.

To me, Brio poses a bigger risk of broken rear windscreen due to bigger and lower glass area. I have used Zen and Swift extensively in traffic and have a couple of minor dents on the boot lid of all my cars thanks to the handlebars of 2-wheelers who try to do circus at traffic junctions. If it were on a Brio, these points of impact would have been on the blackened glass area going by the height from the ground where I have them.

Owners can ignore minor dents but you cannot ignore a broken rear windscreen even if it costs 25k to fix.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:44   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If it were on a Brio, these points of impact would have been on the blackened glass area going by the height from the ground where I have them.

Owners can ignore minor dents but you cannot ignore a broken rear windscreen even if it costs 25k to fix.
if bike handle bars hitting the windshield at 10-20 kmph max would brake it then its not windshield material at all. toughened glass is used for the boot lid. Impossible to drill into toughened glass of that thickness, so being worried about bike handlebars is pointless.

more glass area is perceived as risky, and not much can be done to change a buyers mind once he thinks a car is not safe.

@crazy_eddy
about the rear beam and impact taken during a rear collision, it is quite simple if you simply join the dots.
1)all glass hatch has a high loading bay. so it is quite obvious that the bumper runs up high.
2)every car has a impact absorbing beam or element behind the bumper. in brio its a beam which work together with the crumple zones(as shown on the honda website)
conclusion : for an impact to shatter the glass boot lid,it has to first go through the relatively large bumper and the impact beams. then the crumple zones which are present along side the read fenders(quite wide they are)

honda makes structurally sound cars with crumple zones designed such that all the impact is absorbed before it reached the cabin. simply visit any honda ASS and see the cars which have been in an accident that are there. You will notice that the dashboard,pedals and seats haven't moved but the exterior damage is substantial. toyota uses the same design philosophy along with most japanese manufacturers. i am not sure about hyundai or tata or fiat. someone who owns these cars can shed some light on this.

Last edited by bread : 2nd August 2014 at 18:58. Reason: tube light
bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:42   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Looks like Honda mixed up the numbers when they published it?
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-brio...e-otherstories
Possible but highly unlikely. Definitely needs some clarification. Hopefully we will get some clarity on this soon, especially when the monthly sales post is released in this forum in a few more days. So far non of the auto programs on the TV this weekend seem to have covered the sales figures.
karmania is offline   Reply With Quote