Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th May 2014, 17:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis (11th Gen) launched @ 11.99 lakhs

A price of 19L On Road for the Top End Automatic !! You have got to be kidding me !!
The Car is great looking but the interiors are a let down. They are ok for a 10-12L rupee car. The Engine isn't a 1.8TSI that is worth spending the extra moolah for ! I got my City VX AT for 12.4 On Road and you cannot in anyway whatsoever convince me to pay an extra 6.6L for the Corolla !!

When i bought My Civic in 2007, the City AT was available for 9.7L and the Civic AT Cost me 12.5 L. Totally worth 2.8L extra for the Civic. This is where I'm coming from.

Last edited by nik_kapur : 27th May 2014 at 17:52.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 17:50   #17
BHPian

Toyota seems to have read the space wrong this time with new Corolla especially for Diesel Avatar. 1.4L 88BHP is never going to cut it for a 15+ Lac Sedan regardless of your market appeal.

Even vehicles from segment lower like City, Verna and Cruze are better Specced and far more lavishly kitted than Corolla.
akhilesh51 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 18:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Another comparison I simply cannot resist even though they are not in the same segment.

You can get a top end Honda City diesel for around 7.5 lakhs lesser than the Altis diesel.

The Honda City adds sunroof, rear AC vents and comes with a 100bhp diesel engine vs the 88bhp in the Altis. For rear seat comfort I can tell you both cars are very closely matched but the City gets rear AC vents.

Similarly if your looking for an Automatic, the City VX CVT gets a similar 7 step CVT with paddle shifts and you get a sports mode as well.

The Altis is much better built and better quality but the comparison is inevitable. You do get additional features like LEd lights, electric driver seat and reclinable rear seats in the Altis but these are not deciding features unlike sunroof and rear AC vents which for people is a deciding factor when buying a car.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 18:56   #19
BHPian

The pricing certainly is a killjoy. For someone looking for a well equipped and reliable automatic in the D segment, the Atlis could have easily become the default option. There are a good number of people willing to jump from the C segment, and not everyone is smitten by SUVs.

One good aspect though is that the Altis doesn't seem to command the kind of resale Innova or Fortuner do, so grabbing one after an year or two could be the wiser thing to do
avisidhu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 20:34   #20
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota are rapidly losing touch with the market realities. Their monthly sales numbers provide enough indication of this. It's a bit strange, since the Japanese are known to study the market thoroughly and entrench themselves in it better and better with each product launch. While Maruti Suzuki, Honda and even newcomers Nissan/Datsun are doing so, Toyota are heading in the other direction.

The design of the dashboard, especially those centre A/C vents, looks so outdated. The exterior design is nothing special either. The petrol engine sounds good, as does the CVT, but the diesel Corolla is the only car in its class with a two digit power output. Even diesel cars that are much cheaper from a segment below (like the Verna, Vento, Rapid and City) produce three digit outputs.

Then there is the feature list. Only two airbags and ABS, but no ESP etc. The Maruti Suzuki Celerio ZXi(O) offers exactly this, but it costs less than a third of some of the Corolla's variants. There are enough cars below the one million rupee mark (ex-showroom) that come with 6 airbags. Why is Toyota so pathetically (almost disgustingly) stingy when it comes to offering safety features for India? And it's not just the Corolla.

The feature list simply pales into insignificance when compared to its rivals. No rear A/C vents? Even the Hyundai Grand i10 that costs a fraction of the Corolla Altis' price offers this!

I'm pretty sure the market is going to have the last word on the all new Toyota Corolla Altis. Packages like this deserve to flop miserably. Only then will customers benefit in the long run.

The monthly sales numbers of the D1 segment are going to be very interesting to watch indeed.

Last edited by RSR : 27th May 2014 at 20:48.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 22:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul.blr View Post
Hi guys,

I really need some help now. I plan to buy a car in this segment and am still confused. Jetta and Octavia are good cars but quite expensive. Civic has been out for quite some time now. That leaves the Altis & Elantra to choose from . I am not too interested in a Cruze or Fluence, haven't driven them either.

I would test drive the new Altis in a day or two but am leaning a little towards the Elantra. I like the overall design of the new Altis but it seems to lack in features. I love the ventilated seats in the Elantra which in my opinion is an extremely practical and useful feature (they are supposed to make the rear seats ventilated as well in the elusive facelift).

Any thoughts?
Please do consider the Fluence. It is the most no-nonsense car of the bunch and a true jack of all trades: Best ride quality, great space, comfy seats, mature interior styling, looks good outside too, good set of features, use-able amounts of power from the small motor will amaze you with better in-gear acceleration figures compared to most other large diesels in its segment, reliable workhorse that is the 1.5dci motor. Please, please check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
2 Airbags & ABS being offered as standard across all variants is a welcome move by toyota.
LOL it is 2014 mate. Show me a single D1 segment sedan on sale in our market that doesn't offer this in their base variants. The other sedans also offer 4-6 airbags with abs, ebd, esp and tcs, as you go higher up the trim levels.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 22:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Here is my take on this

1. Looks aggressive from the front. love the design - But rest looks normal, Honda city looks like a steal now !!
2. That T Badge and their legendary quality - but cabbies are not going to buy this one isnt it ??
3. 1.4 Ltr 88 BHP - The rich brats are not going to like being overtaken by someone in a sporty hatchback !!
4. Interior quality - This one is important because this toyota costs so much !! And its nothing to write about

So i am sorry Toyota, you are loosing it with every move you make. You either priced it 3-4 lakhs higher or should have provided enough features to justify it.

I now have no hopes that you will bring a decent looking sedan, muv and suv in sub ten lakh range(even if you do, doubt anyone will aspire for it)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 22:49   #23
BANNED

Guys, why do we insist on comparing cars from different segments and manufacturers as if they were 'aaloo-pyaaz'? This value-for-money attitude that excessively translates every car into the common currency of money, whereas cars and manufacturers have at least some untranslatable, unique traits even if fictive/imaginary, based on heritage, history, geographical origin, 'cultural' DNA.

Methinks to compare the new Corolla to a mere Honda City or a Verna or even Rapid is ridiculous. These cars are not 'aaloo-pyaaz', they cannot be so reductively compared. At this rate we will all end up buying feature-rich, jazzed-up, sub-4m 'jugaad'-sedans because they will be the only ones that truly offer the ever-elusive TOTAL 'paisa-vasool' as they say!! ;-)

Last edited by desdemona : 27th May 2014 at 22:51. Reason: incomplete
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Keep an open mind, especially about styling. IMO the Elantra is gawky, badly overdone, inside and out, and has the much poorer rear bench.

I've seen this new Corolla. Each buyer will have to evaluate price signals for themselves, but the car is for me THE mature-yet-young styling/'character'/'presence' champ of the segment, inside and out. Engines and gearboxes are a different story, though, i guess.

I guess Toyota feel a Hyundai-is-a-mere-Hyundai, while a Corolla-is-a-Corolla i.e., global benchmark, bestseller etc. Can't say i disagree.
But you never tire of shooting at the East Asian car(tel). I believe One is Honda and the other is Hyundai. Right? But, I personally like these two brands way more than Toyota which is reduced to a van/taxi brand in India, thanks to ugly Qualis then and an equally ugly Innova now.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2014 at 13:24. Reason: No personal / off-topic remarks please
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Failed move by Toyota. They could have had better hopes on this one if they had priced it lower than where the innova stands, or at least not above that range.

For people who want a Toyota: Most of the buyers do take into consideration no. of seats/lakh rupee spent and when you put the innova and corolla beside in the Toyota showroom, the choice is obvious. More seats, better image, proven reliablity and awesome resale will just bring in more customers to the Innova. That is for the people who want a Toyota. The Ertiga is responsible for stealing a significant fraction of SX4 customers, while the competition stole the rest . The same will happen here.

For people who want a D-Segment sedan: Here too, there are good options with far better packages as mentioned in the thread previously. Again, I bet the corolla wont attract people, since one visit to the Skoda or Hyundai or any other competitors dealership will definitely impress anyone looking for a D sedan.

Hence, there is no reason why I feel someone will buy this car, either by brand name or segment specific, unless they want a D-segment sedan from Toyota only

Quote:

Methinks to compare the new Corolla to a mere Honda City or a Verna or even Rapid is ridiculous. These cars are not 'aaloo-pyaaz', they cannot be so reductively compared. At this rate we will all end up buying feature-rich, jazzed-up, sub-4m 'jugaad'-sedans because they will be the only ones that truly offer the ever-elusive TOTAL 'paisa-vasool' as they say!! ;-)
So apart from the T-badge and the segment what do you get on a Corolla that makes it a good buy? Reliablity may be a justification, but think of it. Buy a lower priced car, like the Cruze etc. Keep the difference amount in bank and use it for maintenance.

Last edited by audioholic : 27th May 2014 at 23:12.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:15   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, why do we insist on comparing cars from different segments and manufacturers as if they were 'aaloo-pyaaz'? This value-for-money attitude that excessively translates every car into the common currency of money, whereas cars and manufacturers have at least some untranslatable, unique traits even if fictive/imaginary, based on heritage, history, geographical origin, 'cultural' DNA.

So tell me if a buyer is looking at a no non sense car with no fixed budget yet in mind. What extra traits does the Altis offer or USP's that the City does not?

What would be the biggest factor that a guy looking at the city would want to jump to the Altis.

Within the segment what is the pulling/USP factor that the Altis is having over the Elantra?

If anyone is looking at reliability and maintenance costs in check, the Elantra is a very difficult proposition to not consider. Both cars offer similar driving pleasure or lack thereof.

If I was looking at driving pleasure then why would I chose the Altis over the Skoda Octavia or the Jetta?
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:28   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But you never tire of shooting at the East Asian car(tel). I believe One is Honda and the other is Hyundai. Right? But, I personally like these two brands way more than Toyota which is reduced to a van/taxi brand in India, thanks to ugly Qualis then and an equally ugly Innova now.
Ha! You misundestand brother: the idea is to be fair and truthful to cars and their manufacturers/brand identities, when there are facile dismissals and sarcastic denunciations that take hold so easily. Toyota is not part of the oligopoly of overrated East-Asian cars that concerns me, in the mass, sub-10lakh segment. How can they be when the Etios and Liva are loved, like Tata-s, only by cabbies?

btw, I researched the new Corolla, and considered waiting for it.

Check this Corolla out in the flesh: design and build quality, pretty impressive. Let us not assimilate this car into the obscene Innova and Fortuner pricing and datedness issues we rightly have against Toyota.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2014 at 13:26. Reason: As mentioned earlier, do NOT unnecessarily drag unrelated brands everywhere
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:

With all due respect to you, your post makes a good rhetoric but does not hold logic. So, if a Maruti Swift is sold as it is at 18 Lakhs as D1 segment, you choose not to compare with, say, a City because City is a segment lower?
petrolveins is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:53   #29
BANNED

Guys, there are many people who think a Corolla a benchmark, global, upper-middle class person's proper sedan, because its engineering and design is seen as mature, measured, not tacky, not tart-y, not a hatch-with-a-boot, not a car with flimsy build, or choppy ride, or skinny tyres. And who regard Toyota as a sort of benchmark of affordable, reliable yet prestigious automobility. Heck, I know many such people, here and abroad. My own B-in-law is one of them, and he isn't that old either. for many people even now, rightly IMO, it is a no-contest between a Hyundai, however fluidic, and a Toyota Corolla.

I am just saying we have to compare more carefully than just compare a range of generic car traits and features.

I do think it is this careless 'paisa-vasool' comparative attitude that is distorting the nature of our market: D-segment in decline, many good cars and their manufacturers near-damned in the market etc.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2014 at 13:26. Reason: As mentioned earlier, do NOT unnecessarily drag unrelated brands everywhere
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 23:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

With Honda pulling out the Civic from the market, Toyota probably thinks that they are the only option for customers looking for a Japanese premium car and that gives them the confidence to price it the way they have
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote