Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 18:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_rahul View Post
And now that we've finally decided on M-Sport, we are super confused about the colour.
Carbon black vs Alpine White.
Okay....Don't kill me for this. I picked up an X5 DPE 7 last year in April and am yet to write a review due to my schedule but finally decided it is time to pen it down (along with some cool Himalayan pictures).

GTO: feel free to create a separate thread or let this be here. This is my ownership experience as well as my experience of Raid-de-Himalaya 2016.

I had been researching for my Outlander replacement (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...outlander.html).

My need: A rugged luxury SUV that can take me to Himalayas for my Raid-de-Himalaya adventures along with few outstation trips with kids. I zeroed in on X5 (first choice), Q7 (backup) and Freelander (last choice).

Pre Sales experience: Great! Test drove X5 several times, including a track experience before I decided.

What I love in the car:
- Pretty aggressive front, which looks modern and stated.
- In-line 6 cylinder engine, brings a big grin every time I drive it.
- Extremely comfortable (has been to Spiti and back!)
- Generous cabin space. Every creature comfort exists that you can dream of.

What I hate:
- Luggage space at back. I have 7 DPE thus there is no provision for a spare wheel well.

Extras:

- M engine upgrade (no body kit). Special order from Germany, not available as an option from dealer. Intercooler, ECUs and few more parts.
- 5year/60000 BSI Plus and 5 Year BRI (warranty).
- Few cosmetic bits like X5M stickers etc.

I took delivery of the car in April 2016 and few months later took it out to INTSDRC (Indian National TSD Rally Championship) round-1 and made it to podium (2nd place). So car was extremely lucky for me.

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-inrc-x51.jpeg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-inrc-x52.jpeg

18th Raid-de-Himalaya 2016

Each raid is unique and special. No matter how much you hate the terrain, you wait entire year for the raid. Doesn’t matter if you participate as competitor, official or merely a spectator (remember the tagline on xraid.in: "Established 1999, Making grown men cry ever since” you just want to be a part of it.

I am sure each one of us must have heard tons of scary stories of Spiti, Pagal Nullah, camps of Sarchu and ghosts of Gata loops but somehow there is a magnet which pulls you to Ladakh, Lahaul and Spiti. There is something that can’t be explained or a feeling that you just can’t capture. In spite of all challenges, you simply wait for these 10 days each single year.

There is a new learning each year, no matter how seasoned a raider you are (we call ourselves ‘The Raiders”). There is something new that Himalayas have to offer you both as an experience and as learning.

Preparation for 18th Raid started in 2014, 2 years ago during 16th Raid. Somehow I got a crazy bug that: extreme terrain, 2 am starts and bone chilling camps were not enough challenges, I had to throw in something more. Well, how about doing raid in a way that nobody has ever dreamt before? How about a luxury SUV?

None of the luxury car manufacturer that I reached out to were willing to take a bet and give me super expansive SUV to take to Raid. Not sure if they did not trust the capability of their vehicle or a crazy raider.

Anyway, I started my research and zeroed in on nothing less than new BMW X5 (F15). I carefully looked at X5 expedition videos of Namibia, Russia and other difficult trails and it seemed like an extremely capable vehicle worthy of being taken to raid. And this is where a dream started.

First challenge was that there was no all-terrain tyre available in size that will fit OEM spec of BMW X5. There is no way you can change the spec due to limited clearance in front wheel well. There was not even a cross-tread available in entire country for that spec! No way to downsize wheel size due to PCD challenge. Anyways, cutting the technical jargon, I had to find AT tyres to take this SUV to Himalayas.

Zeroed in on BF Goodrich TA/KO2 Baja Champion, there is no better AT tyre available in the world, period. But how do we get it? No importer, no distributor was willing to take a risk due to BIS restriction. Somehow solved this and managed to get 4 tyres and an extra set of OEM alloys. It took 4 months to solve but, half the battle won!

Next, the vehicle prep. I needed carbon shields for underbody protection, with 209mm ground clearance I was almost sure to rip all the felt lined plastic shield. Only consolation was that engine seal was solid metal along with approach and departure shields. After spending through my nose for car, extended warranty and other stuff, there was no way I could spend additional lakhs on carbon fiber work. I could not manage sponsorship or support from OEM, so I was pretty much on my own.

I thought of abandoning the project and align to sane advice of renting a Fortuner etc but it was too late in the game to back off. I took a chance, calculated chance. And thank God I trusted my instinct.

Another challenge won, X5 comes back a winner from Raid!

I am sure I had mentioned it earlier, the life of an official is much tougher than competitors, we start typically at 2am each day whereas rally gets flagged off by 6 or 7am. We drive on rocks at insane hours with just headlamps illuminating the track. Navigator and tracking GPS are your savior in inhospitable and unpardonable terrain.

Here I am trying to capture 7 days of Raid through some pictures, hope you enjoy them. I will try to find time to write more, until then cheers till next adventure.

Happy to answer any question/comments that you have

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1312.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1344.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1350.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1383.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1420.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5453.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1151.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1217.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1430.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_1437.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5468.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5490.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5584.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5598.jpg

Third generation BMW X5 launched in India at Rs. 70.9 lakh-img_5620.jpg
rishi_kapoor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 07:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Okay....Don't kill me for this. I picked up an X5 DPE 7 last year in April and am yet to write a review due to my schedule but finally decided it is time to pen it down (along with some cool Himalayan pictures).
. Salut you for having the courage to take the X5 to the Raid. I am sure it is probably one of the best experiences you had. BTW, what tyre/size did you use. My only worry with these cars when going off the beaten track is the tyre. I lost a tyre on my X3 and wasn't too happy with the bill.

Also, in your opinion are the +2 seats usable or better to just go for the 5+ spare configuration?
Old 21st March 2017, 07:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My only worry with these cars when going off the beaten track is the tyre. I lost a tyre on my X3 and wasn't too happy with the bill.

Also, in your opinion are the +2 seats usable or better to just go for the 5+ spare configuration?

I had the stock size 255/55R18 on X5, I only changed the tread pattern to AT (BFG TA/KO2), stock RFTs wouldn't have lasted even day-1 of rally.

Spare 2 seats are good for kids or at best teens. Though spare is not full size (space saver), you may choose 7 seater for flexibility. I am planning to add a BMW luggage accessory for extra stuff during Raids.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hey Rahul, if you dont mind, would you share the final ex showroom price you got for your booking. Thanks in advance.
79,19,777 including VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Google is your best friend. Or you can search for "Carbon black picture thread" on some BMW forums. I'm sure you could something there.

Just remember, Carbon Black will require a LOT of TLC to keep it looking awesome!

Also, i hope you've TD'd the M sport because it does have a harsher ride than the DPE, not to mention, you're going to have to use the car with kid gloves thanks to the bigger wheels, which might be taxing on the tyres.
Carbon Black delivery tomorrow!
Sorry but what does 'TLC' mean? And what does 'kid gloves' mean?

And any advice on maintenance? Like if any particular car cleaning cloth or shampoo etc etc?

Last edited by ajmat : 7th April 2017 at 13:02.
Old 7th April 2017, 12:59   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And any advice on maintenance?
Congrats, hope you are going for M variant with Ivory interiors Get 3M PP-Film immediately. It saves the car from small nicks & more importantly swirl marks beside your paint will be factory fresh many years later. I have got done recently but should have got done earlier. It cost about Rs 1 lac here for the whole car though the 3M care centre had calculated wrongly and executed at a loss. Do check prices and update if you decide to go for it.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 13:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats, hope you are going for M variant with Ivory interiors Get 3M PP-Film immediately. It saves the car from small nicks & more importantly swirl marks beside your paint will be factory fresh many years later. I have got done recently but should have got done earlier. It cost about Rs 1 lac here for the whole car though the 3M care centre had calculated wrongly and executed at a loss. Do check prices and update if you decide to go for it.
Thanks! We went for Carbon Black with Terra interiors. Ivory was not an option because we have a pet dog who runs around in the car and has already made our Endeavour's lighter interiors looking like a jogging track.

No chance anyone at home is going to agree for Paint Protection at those prices
Any cheaper recommendations please?
Someone said a transparent sun film on front windshield is highly recommended? What is paint sealant? That comes for some 7-8 k, any good?
Old 7th April 2017, 13:36   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
really? take them to the BMW workshop and show some of 2-3 Year old cars. I think this is one of single most important upgrade that anyone should do. It will help you in better resales as well.

Quote:
What is paint sealant? That comes for some 7-8 k, any good?
I have got many in past but nothing beats PPF. No matter how good quality clothes or shampoos we use, dark colours like Carbon Black will get many marks and so will be small incidents like the door banging something or bumpers getting hit here and there. Rest you can bookmark this page and can share your views couple of months later.
Old 7th April 2017, 14:51   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! We went for Carbon Black with Terra interiors. Ivory was not an option because we have a pet dog who runs around in the car and has already made our Endeavour's lighter interiors looking like a jogging track.

Any cheaper recommendations please?
Someone said a transparent sun film on front windshield is highly recommended? What is paint sealant? That comes for some 7-8 k, any good?
Don't stress much - Just see your existing cars, and where the paint is damaged the most, and get the PPF put there.

In my case there are small nicks on the bumpers owing to bikers and squeeze in an out, as well as near the door edges; so it makes sense for me to put the PPF there.

This aside, since it is a dark color - speak to Kamyo / 3M for a paint sealant that should keep the shine on for a little longer, and also protects from bird droppings and tree sap to a certain extent.

Lastly, buy a jopasu duster and microfiber cloth to wash your car - swirl marks are the worst! Have to get it rectified before we get another new car.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 13:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:

A rugged luxury SUV that can take me to Himalayas for my Raid-de-Himalaya adventures
WOW!!! I'll live happily with the knowledge that if one X5 can do it, then mine can do it too. The most off-road I'm ever going to take this car is in the pot holes.
I'll just use your pictures if ever an argument happens with someone about the X5's capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Lastly, buy a jopasu duster and microfiber cloth to wash your car - swirl marks are the worst! Have to get it rectified before we get another new car.
Bought on amazon-
Jopasu duster
3M microfiber cloth
Sobby glove type microfiber wash mitt
3M Glass cleaner
3M Car shampoo

Looks like my car washing guy is going to have the bath of his life!!
crazy_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 16:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
79,19,777 including VAT

Carbon Black delivery tomorrow!
Sorry but what does 'TLC' mean?
Congrats, 79 lakhs is the standard exshowroom price - right? What was the discount offered?
Old 8th April 2017, 23:18   #56
BHPian

How much should I keep Tyre pressure?
Their chart says 3 people - F 29, R 29, 5 people- F 31, R 39
The sales guy said keep F 30, R 32 but steering is feeling a little stiff. What is the best Tyre pressure for the most comfortable ride??
It will mostly be 1 or 2 people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Congrats, 79 lakhs is the standard exshowroom price - right? What was the discount offered?
86 OTR Thane without octroi
Old 10th April 2017, 14:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please tell me how much these M colours for the kidney grille cost you?

And any other accessories y'all suggest for the M-Sport? Apart from this grille M colour, I'm going for the mats. I'm more interested in functionality than looks.
Old 10th April 2017, 23:49   #58
BHPian

Also, could someone tell me whether the 'Surround View' 360 degree camera can be installed on the X5 M-Sport? The accessories department of BMW is terribly slow in replying about these things
Old 13th April 2017, 16:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please tell me how much these M colours for the kidney grille cost you?

And any other accessories y'all suggest for the M-Sport? Apart from this grille M colour, I'm going for the mats. I'm more interested in functionality than looks.
Dont remember exact cost, but they were under $100, picked from US.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 16:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Dont remember exact cost, but they were under $100, picked from US.
Are they just stickers or plastic?
The dealers here are discouraging me big time asking me to just get it done from any local guy. How frustrating it is that I'm calling them up all the time for something so small!

Same about the Surround View camera. I finally complained to their feedback people that called me. They took it one step further saying we checked with your chassis number and the system replied that it can't be installed but we are checking manually about it too. But after that again nothing.

The mats are all they like to sell. And the 'Essential Package'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks