Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th June 2014, 16:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
why are executives taking to legislation? To make laws, there is a legislative, executive is just for implementation.
He is just implementing what is already written down. As you rightly pointed out, it is the duty of the executive arm of the government to ensure that all the laws are strictly enforced. What is happening in Kerala is only the strict enforcement of the rules that are already existing.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 17:16   #92
BHPian

Default re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, could you point out which new "law" did he make? As far as I know, all these laws are already created by the "legislative" which Mr. Rishiraj Singh is enforcing to be followed or getting the masses to comply with. I pretty much think it's a part of his job role (of every transport commissioner for that matter) and there is nothing wrong with him setting precedence (whereas some other RTOs are busy amending laws to catch other state vehicles for generating cash reserves without bothering about safety laws or improving driving conditions).

Those who do NOT want to comply with the laws set up by the "legislative" are free to do it; pay their fines when caught for the offense and move on. I hope that's what you meant by liberty.
Well said "swiftnfurious". One of the biggest problem in this country is people don't bother about their responsibilities. One such responsibility is to comply with the rules and regulations in this country. When somebody tries to enforce these laws people come up with excuses like "who is he to", "he doesn't have the power to" etc. Before Mr. T N Seshan, nobody knew that Chief Election Commissioner has this much power. So does Mr. Rishi Raj Singh. We need more officers like this to enforce law in this country.

Quote:
We do love dictators, don't we? People who rule with an iron hand is revered by the masses. Having said that, what happened to liberty? It is not like speeding or reckless driving where you put other people at risk. Second, why are executives taking to legislation? To make laws, there is a legislative, executive is just for implementation. They don't have the power to legislate. Sadly, in our country everybody sitting in a "powerful" chair thinks that he has to "power" to do anything. BTW, I am not against what he is doing in principle, but just saying that he has no power to do so.
Enforcing law is not dictatorship. Not complying with law is not freedom
lal79 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 17:23   #93
BHPian

Enforcing seat belts for all occupants in the car is all good.
But god save the occupants from those private buses and KSRTC devils.

jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 18:20   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I read somewhere that they are going to make helmet compulsory for pillion rider.
I agree it should be compulsory, as the pillion rider is as vulnerable if not more than the rider. Whether it is made compulsory or not, the sight that is familiar on our roads, that is riding a bike with helmet on, but with the wife or a young boy in the pillion unprotected, is something that I cannot understand.
premc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 20:26   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Well said "swiftnfurious". One of the biggest problem in this country is people don't bother about their responsibilities. One such responsibility is to comply with the rules and regulations in this country. When somebody tries to enforce these laws people come up with excuses like "who is he to", "he doesn't have the power to" etc. Before Mr. T N Seshan, nobody knew that Chief Election Commissioner has this much power. So does Mr. Rishi Raj Singh. We need more officers like this to enforce law in this country.

Enforcing law is not dictatorship. Not complying with law is not freedom

Seat belts are compulsory by law only for the front seats. This new law was passed by mr singh himself.

Here is another law passed by the maverick singh. http://entertainment.oneindia.in/mal...ms-126200.html

I fully appreciate the intention behind what he is doing, but sorry to say, it is not his job.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 20:35   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Seat belts are compulsory by law only for the front seats.
The rule 138 says;
Quote:
the driver, and the person seated in the front seat or the persons occupying front facing rear seats, as the case may be, wear the seat belts while the vehicle is in motion.
Source: http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 17:02   #97
BHPian

kudos to Kerela State Govt. for doing what was wanting to be done with changes in MV Act for seat belts. It would be in the interest of the passengers in the car/vehicle to mandatorily use them. Retro fitting of seat belts should be made mandatory.
ashwin_m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 12:24   #98
BHPian

Well the Kerala transport minister now says that this order will be withdrawn as it will be impractical to implement

The news (in Malayalam) http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...RIAL&BV_ID=@@@
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 13:32   #99
BHPian

I just watched few malayalam news channels and all of them confirms that rule is withdrawn. Transport minister says it is not a practical rule.

God save this country.
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 13:56   #100
BHPian

Though the rule may have been withdrawn, it will sure make a comeback. I remember, years back,helmet rule was also like this.First enforced, then withdrawn and later re-enforced after a few years. This was just a first step, and indeed in the right direction too.

Quote:
We do love dictators, don't we? People who rule with an iron hand is revered by the masses. Having said that, what happened to liberty? It is not like speeding or reckless driving where you put other people at risk. Second, why are executives taking to legislation? To make laws, there is a legislative, executive is just for implementation. They don't have the power to legislate.I am not against what he is doing in principle, but just saying that he has no power to do so.
Before making hasty comments like this,I think you need to read some articles related to this news a bit more.Let us be very clear on this point - Mr. Singh never made any new laws. The law was already there.What he did was just enforcement of the law, which I think is very much his right and responsibility.

And I didn't understand your definition of liberty either.So, you mean to say that liberty means the freedom to do whatever which does not put other people at risk? Don't you think that is just insane and scary? What about the helmet law then? By not wearing helmet, you are not putting anyone else at risk. But is that a valid argument?

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 13th June 2014 at 14:10.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:29   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
By not wearing helmet, you are not putting anyone else at risk. But is that a valid argument?
Correction there. By not wearing a helmet, he's putting everyone else on the road at risk who may have the misfortune of getting into even a minor accident with him. What could've ended with minor injuries (if helmet is worn) and some traffic fines may very well turn into possibly fatal injuries for a non-helmet wearing person, and a case of involuntary manslaughter for his unfortunate victim.

Total freedom works only in theory or in vacuum. Nowhere else.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

You leave it to the politicians to botch up every progress that state makes or at least tries to make.

A very strange logic from the home minister :"There are many such difficult to implement traffic rules and if action is taken against everyone breaking the rules, then the entire state needs to be booked."

Great!! Is he going to take the same approach to every difficult to implement rule in the state?
mallumowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 16:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
We do love dictators, don't we?
yeah, at least I do. I live in bangalore and despite no rishiraj singh around, I still stop at all red lights, put turn indicators, dont drive on wrong lane or dont park my car on a busy road - and I proudly display a team-bhp sticker on my car. But the >50% freedom lovers in bangalore come behind and honks at me for not doing all these things and even pick arguments. So I love to have a dictator here. sorry, but this is a fact.
RakishRam is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 18:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Let us be very clear on this point - Mr. Singh never made any new laws. The law was already there.What he did was just enforcement of the law, which I think is very much his right and responsibility.
To implement the rule or not is left to state governments. The transport commissioner has no business getting into what is the legislative's jurisdiction. And this is not the first time that an order from Mr Singh has been reversed by the government.
Quote:
And I didn't understand your definition of liberty either.So, you mean to say that liberty means the freedom to do whatever which does not put other people at risk? Don't you think that is just insane and scary? What about the helmet law then? By not wearing helmet, you are not putting anyone else at risk. But is that a valid argument?
By not wearing a helmet or not wearing a seat belt, you are only putting yourself at risk. That is well within the boundaries of liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Correction there. By not wearing a helmet, he's putting everyone else on the road at risk who may have the misfortune of getting into even a minor accident with him. What could've ended with minor injuries (if helmet is worn) and some traffic fines may very well turn into possibly fatal injuries for a non-helmet wearing person, and a case of involuntary manslaughter for his unfortunate victim.
Sorry, I still don't see how by not wearing a helmet, I am putting other people at risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
A very strange logic from the home minister :"There are many such difficult to implement traffic rules and if action is taken against everyone breaking the rules, then the entire state needs to be booked."

Great!! Is he going to take the same approach to every difficult to implement rule in the state?
Actually, he is right. We have too many laws, a bulk of them unimplementable. They just create corruption. And the law enforcing agencies already have their hands full with graver law and order problems to deal with.

From 1995 since I got my first car, I have worn the seat belt every single time I have got into a car. I don't need a law to be passed so that I can protect myself. Those who don't mind dying on the road are free to do so, and I am not going to lose my sleep over that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
yeah, at least I do. I live in bangalore and despite no rishiraj singh around, I still stop at all red lights, put turn indicators, dont drive on wrong lane or dont park my car on a busy road - and I proudly display a team-bhp sticker on my car. But the >50% freedom lovers in bangalore come behind and honks at me for not doing all these things and even pick arguments. So I love to have a dictator here. sorry, but this is a fact.
Liberty is freedom to do something as long as you don't trample into somebody else's liberty. Your understanding of liberty is erroneous.

Last edited by blacksport : 13th June 2014 at 18:22.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 19:18   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I still don't see how by not wearing a helmet, I am putting other people at risk.
I'm surprised as a BHPian whose been around for six months, and maybe on the internet for longer, you are unaware of such a basic issue. Frankly this isn't the developed world where if one is killed because of their error, the bigger vehicle isn't blamed (e.g AFAIK insurance in EU doesn't cover your death if you got onto a freeway and in the path of traffic etc). This is India where everyone gangs up on the larger vehicle irrespective of who made the mistake.

In non ideal traffic, people can make mistakes inadvertently. Or there may be hazards.

Because youare not wearing a helmet, you are infinitely more prone to dying, and what could have been a graze becomes a fatality. You may not care about your death but the legal case of your death will ensnare the other poor motorist who will suffer because of your unreasonable stubbornness and blatant disregard of the law.
phamilyman is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote