Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th June 2014, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Default Report: DNA Auto Expo @ Panvel, 7th June 2014

Having nothing to do over this weekend, I read about the DNA Auto Expo this morning and thought to go over here and have a look. More so I wanted to explore the roads of Navi Mumbai on bike and so this was a good incentive. It was a 110 km bike journey to and fro back home in the scorching sun with lots of maneuvering between heavy and dusty trucks but was fun.

Honestly the expo was a bit of a downer. It was a mere display of humdrum vehicles that have already been launched.
The brands present were Mercedes Benz, BMW, Renault, Tata, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Maruti Suzuki, Mini Cooper, Chevrolet, Honda and Harley Davidson.

Brands such as Ford, Mahindra, Nissan and Skoda were conspicuos by their absence midst other automobile and bike brands as far as I remember. The expo is being held in the campus of Karnala Sports Academy in a small tent of approximately 50m x 20 m. So it isn't exactly very huge. I assumed it would be a showcase of upcoming models such as the Honda Mobilio, Datsun Go MPV, Wagon R MPV or a slew of facelifted models. Though it is okay.

Entry is free and everything seemed organised on the part of DNA newspapers. Clicked a few snaps. Honestly an automobile buff would be left dull here as most of the cars displayed have been covered exhaustively on the forum.
There were only a limited number of cars on display, hardly 2 - 3 cars per brand. There was no one to attend to in all the luxury brands except for Mini. All the cars were kept locked which was annoying. The interiors were kept dirty anyway. Mini was the only luxury brands accessible.

In the cheaper brands I was most impressed with Honda as I could check the City and Amaze well though the staff were friendly, they lacked much knowledge nor explained well. Maruti Suzuki was a shocker as they had kept all the cars locked (Ertiga, Dzire, Wagon R Stingray and Alto 800) and there was no one present in Hyundai. I was keen to see the Grand i10 and Xcent. No one really thronged to see Renault, Datsun, Chevrolet or Tata. All in all it was a museum display of general vehicles. Except for the guys at Honda no one was keen to explain about their vehicles even on inquiring. I would get replies in monosyllables only.
Here are a few snaps, excuse the quality as I have clicked in a jiffy.

Wouldn't recommend any Bhpian to go here and waste time.

Last edited by ciddharth : 7th June 2014 at 17:10.
ciddharth is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Default re: Report: DNA Auto Expo @ Panvel, 7th June 2014

Some snaps attached, please excuse the poor quality of snaps:
Attached Images

Last edited by ciddharth : 7th June 2014 at 17:02.
ciddharth is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Default re: Report: DNA Auto Expo @ Panvel, 7th June 2014

Ford, Mahindra, Nissan and Skoda were conspicuos by their absence
Attached Images

ciddharth is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Report: DNA Auto Expo @ Panvel, 7th June 2014

- I did not even know that there was an Auto expo. DNA should have considered giving a half-page advertisement in Times / Mumbai mirror and other leading newspapers. This would have got more audience = more revenue= more crowds = success.

I for one dont buy DNA, but would have visited the expo, had i known about it. I visited the same, the last time at Goregaon East.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 15:06   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Report: DNA Auto Expo @ Panvel, 7th June 2014

@ scopriobharath - I suppose DNA did not want to advertise in a rival newspaper especially when this event isn't exactly a crowd puller. It was very misleading. The event was a mere promotional platform for local dealers in Navi Mumbai to advertise their slow selling models such as the Stingray, U-VA or cars that were once popular but are now dwindling. On a quick online research DNA hosts these events across various suburbs in Mumbai once in a few months and perhaps you might have attended the same last year.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote