Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th September 2015, 12:13   #811
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

My dear brother and sisters(Fiesta Owners)

With just 340 kms on the ODO my odometer MID shows 18.5 kmpl average mileage. I have 20% city and 80% straight road traffic daily. Am I seeing what I am seeing? Driving very sedated no doubt

When I switch on the cruise control - the steering feels little stiffer, anyone out there felt it?

The car feels faster than the speedo(compared to my classic) again am I the only one?

A teaser before my write up

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-nose.jpg
Self Driven is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 13:49   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post

With just 340 kms on the ODO my odometer MID shows 18.5 kmpl average mileage. I have 20% city and 80% straight road traffic daily. Am I seeing what I am seeing? Driving very sedated no doubt
Dont go by the MID, check tankful to tankful few times then compare. That will give you a ballpark on how much +/- you need to consider from MID readings.

Quote:
The car feels faster than the speedo(compared to my classic) again am I the only one?
I am shocked, it should be other way around. During my TDs I found the car to mask speeds at least by 30+kmph. Is it a placebo ?, or something to do with the mechanicals.

Can you elaborate what makes you think its faster ?. Few pointers, road noise, engine noise or un settled ride.. Etc. Do you drive with windows rolled down ?.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 14:05   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Dont go by the MID, check tankful to tankful few times then compare. That will give you a ballpark on how much +/- you need to consider from MID readings.

I am shocked, it should be other way around. During my TDs I found the car to mask speeds at least by 30+kmph. Is it a placebo ?, or something to do with the mechanicals.

Can you elaborate what makes you think its faster ?. Few pointers, road noise, engine noise or un settled ride.. Etc. Do you drive with windows rolled down ?.
Point taken, I do always consider the tank to tank method. but that MID reading looked logical in respect to the KMS run, so mentioned.

I don't know how to put it otherwise, I do feel that I am zipping past other cars at 80 kmph in highways which felt like normal driving in classic.

I don't drive with windows rolled down and no unsettled ride or road noise
Self Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 15:42   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With just 340 kms on the ODO my odometer MID shows 18.5 kmpl average mileage. I have 20% city and 80% straight road traffic daily. Am I seeing what I am seeing?
Congrats once again, black is a stunner. For the fuel efficiency figures, do not get so surprised. I had already told you that the car easily returns 18-19 km/l in city for me as i do not drive in peak bumper to bumper traffic. This car is very fuel efficient.

Quote:
When I switch on the cruise control - the steering feels little stiffer, anyone out there felt it?
Never noted it but will try to feel it in detail next time, dont think there should be extra steering stiffness when cruise is engaged.

Quote:
That is not possible buddy , please check the tyre pressures from a reliable source. Ford recommends 30 PSI for single passenger and do not go beyond 32-33 even when it is loaded. Let the car settle in for atleast a 1000 kms, even the mould release compound from the tyres has not yet come out, tyres will start gripping properly after doing 700-800 kms.

Fiesta masks speed beautifully, atleast 20-30 km/h less than what you will feel in other cars.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 21:25   #815
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1413177
She looks absolutely stunning in black. The over chromed grill actually looks really good in contrast with black. Congratulations and please post more pictures!
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 21:52   #816
BHPian

Quote:

With just 340 kms on the ODO my odometer MID shows 18.5 kmpl average
That's a stunner. This car for sure is going to get more heads turned than a BMW or a Merc..!

I have already started imagining this with blackened alloys and red colored break pads which will make it 100% droolworthy
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 00:16   #817
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1413177
Thanks for the photograph. One of the best angles to click this car.

Initially my MID used to indicate average of 20+ against actual 18 or so. Km-to-zero also used to be displayed correspondingly high. After about 2k running, display turned closer to real (reason still a mystery to me, maybe first service did some trick) remaining still on a slightly higher side.

I agree with others that fiesta masks the speed due to fine ride quality and superb NVH levels.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 17:07   #818
BHPian

Quote:

Quoting my own post, it was the Cruise control that made this thing for me and I am calling it as the Coolboy007 effect(since he posted it for the 1st time)

When I brake and re engage the CC, the car accelerates faster and the speedo is little sluggish.
Self Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 06:51   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I brake and re engage the CC, the car accelerates faster and the speedo is little sluggish.
LOL! I get what you are saying. The Cruise Control on the Fiesta is not for relaxing, its the wicked acceleration mode. Have noted that in my ownership review as well. You will feel like you have hopped atop an arrow.

And I have found the Ford sips more fuel when the Cruise Control is activated, especially on undulating roads. Its just a toy given by Ford to have fun, like the insane button given by Tesla. Too bad there is no electric motor.

Btw, your Ford looks fantastic. Share some more pics please.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 12:47   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the Elite club of drivers who crunch miles with smiles. Driving Nirvana AHEAD.

Since not much colours are in stock, you ordered a white TITANIUM?
Yes, it is a white Titanium. Already have a Fiesta 1.6 (first generation) in silver. We were given a choice of Silver or White. Since the car is for my wife, her choice is paramount and she wanted the white one.

Now for the interesting part, my wife was at the showroom yesterday to pay the balance amount and she got into a discussion with the sales representative. He told us that we had booked the car at the right time. Its seems since the announcement that the model is being discontinued they have had a sudden spurt in the number of inquiries and people wanting to book one. According to him this is happening with across all dealerships.

The dealer has send a communication to Ford asking what can be done, as they have no stocks of the car. In the meantime, the new Figo Aspire is facing strong headwinds in make sales due to the competition in its segment.
PratikPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 15:43   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Btw, your Ford looks fantastic. Share some more pics please.
Thanks for the comments. On the photos, I am yet to finish my write up but still for the love of black

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-left-side-profile.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
The dealer has send a communication to Ford asking what can be done, as they have no stocks of the car. In the meantime, the new Figo Aspire is facing strong headwinds in make sales due to the competition in its segment.
Congrats once again, A 1.6 Duratec and 1.5 TDCI between husband and wife.

What I heard from my source in Ford is that production stopped in Mar '15. Though it was told that there is plan to produce again from September, Teambhp article on official production stoppage was out that negated the view I got.

But if the orders are more than 300-500 cars a month, Ford will be scratching their heads on what to do. And its hard for me to accept that they have exhausted all the production parts in Inventory for Fiesta

Last edited by Self Driven : 15th September 2015 at 15:54. Reason: Add another quote
Self Driven is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:07   #822
BHPian

Quote:

Thats quite right I suppose cause I have observed the same things in my Rapid as well.

The steering gets a bit stiff than the regular heaviness felt when driven normally(noticeble but not a lot) when the cruise control is activated. Could be because it knows that we are going to be in relaxing mode and wouldnt have our hands over the wheel.

As far as the speed is concenrned, you will feel a very slight push to the back when the Cruise control is activated. The push is felt depending upon the road you are driving(slight uphill or bridges, not felt much while activating it during the plains). I have felt the car moving much faster while climbing a bridge as it tries to maitain the speed limit set and at the same time while getting off it you will definetly feel a slight braking kind of mechanism to level the speed.

A word of caution : I would suggest you to cancel the cruise control while climbing a bridge if it has a curve and then resume it back on. Sometimes it gets quite difficult to put the load on the suspension and there are chances that you tyres grip might just give away causing a skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
LOL! I get what you are saying. The Cruise Control on the Fiesta is not for relaxing, its the wicked acceleration mode. Have noted that in my ownership review as well. You will feel like you have hopped atop an arrow.

And I have found the Ford sips more fuel when the Cruise Control is activated, especially on undulating roads.
true. once you are off it and resume it back on, The car just goes mad. Too much power just rushes back from no where.

Also, Its not just ford drink I have observed this as well in the Rapid while driving with the cruise control, techincally I am still to understand the reason behind fuel consumption. It could be because of the above mentioned point. Since it tries to bring back to speed when we resume the Cruise control the accleration that kicks in could be propotinate to the fuel consumption.

one more thing was very clear to me when I used to own a Figo TDCI. You keep a constant 100kmph at 2000 - 2250RPM, The car delivers you an amazing mileage.I once got 23km/l(50% AC). But if you just go a little above it (2500RPM and speed around 110-120kmph) it starts drinking like a fish. Could possibly be the same with Fiesta as well though it is an 1.5 TDCI ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 13:54. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2 per post. Thanks!
lakshman1067 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 14:22   #823
BHPian

My fiesta comes home today .
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1442479918923.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1442479933186.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1442479948846.jpg  

linuxmanju is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 14:25   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You have a good eye for choosing fantastic angles - while the first picture looks smashing, I have to equally admire the second one since you've even managed to make the Fiesta's derrière look good!

Quote:
Congratulations - you guys are the lucky ones sweeping up the final copies of this fantastic car!
arunphilip is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 16:51   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Heartiest congratulations. Though I love and own a black fiesta, White does make a statement. Enjoyed every second from the first time press of the POWER button, hope you get the same

Waiting for delivery and running in the engine are the worst phase of car buying

Welcome to the second one. Happy miles
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote