Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd July 2014, 17:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: VW likely to curb Skoda India's operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
On the topic of berating a brand: I was one of those who trolled Skoda on this board about 6-7 years ago, based mostly on feedback from a few owners I knew. I now own a Skoda and it was a a difficult decision at that point - but the vehicle suited my requirements and I decided to take the plunge.

No issues with the vehicle, and the chaps have been pretty good so far. I would now think a few times about trolling a brand based on feedback from others.

Happy for you mate. None he beat brands wantedly but it is just the frustration that all have when the manufacturer doesn't act up when there are issues reported by users (under warranty cases).

I love VW/Skoda cars a lot but held myself back twice seeing their after sales. I am still tempted to buy the GT TDi. If only they were improving good. I wish they do improve and get back their name in the market.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:43   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No issues with the vehicle, and the chaps have been pretty good so far. I would now think a few times about trolling a brand based on feedback from others.
I had mentioned this in another thread on Skoda before that not all Skoda's unreliable. The problem is probability. While other manufacturers like Toyota/Honda may have a reliability rate of 980/1000, incase of Skoda is more like 900/1000. That gives you 80 more cars that are unreliable. This is what results in more noise in forums and general feedback on a brand being unreliable. 980 vs 900 means 4 times more unreliable cars.

While I understand the above is not accurate data, it is a good approximation going by the issues members are facing and past stories.

Even today there is a thread on new Octavia coolant disappearing.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I had mentioned this in another thread on Skoda before that not all Skoda's unreliable. The problem is probability. While other manufacturers like Toyota/Honda may have a reliability rate of 980/1000, incase of Skoda is more like 900/1000. That gives you 80 more cars that are unreliable.
Do you have a source for these facts? Quantifying defects to a number based on perception is not really what is expected here, and you must think a few times before throwing such numbers around - especially since you represent the forum more than us users.

Not every vehicle owner posts on this forum. In fact, a vast majority may not be aware at all - so what is the number you have given based on?

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd July 2014 at 18:08.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 18:21   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you have a source for these facts? Quantifying defects to a number based on perception is not really what is expected here.
I just mentioned in my earlier post that these are not accurate numbers from any source.

But this is definitely not perception. Just a simple search on this forum or any other forum will give you results on the number of Skoda issues vs teh number of Toyota/Honda issues. Then there is the JD power quality reports. Why is there no Yeti or Superb or Octavia in the top 3? Ironically the Fabia is there even though it is discontinued.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac..._vds_chart.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...exssistudy.jpg

2013 the Skoda was last but 3 with only Ford and Fiat below them. And Ford and Fiat issues have been discussed to death even here.

Also the perception is that these reports are biased so my assumption is also based on the number of cars I personally know of. I can pretty much tell you that out of 20 Skoda vehicles in my family/friends circle, 16 have had major issues. But out of the 20 plus Toyota's I know of, not a single one has had any issue.

Now why would this perception not by me but the poor 16 guys who have faced issues would point to Skoda being reliable.

The 4 guys who have not had issues are in the minority which is same case with you. That does not mean that the car is reliable. It merely means that you are amongst the few that have a good ownership experience.

And just cause the people in the minority have not had issues doesn't mean they can say that I don't know what the majority is talking about cause for me the car is reliable.

The majority is definitely not trolling and there is ample proof of that with the threads here. People here are facing issues with new cars like the Octavia which has not even been in the market for a year and is close to 25 lakhs. Coolant issues, eletcricals, quality issues. Then the guys who have been through Superd DSG's more than once. Are those people trolling the forum?

Quote:
Not every vehicle owner posts on this forum. In fact, a vast majority may not be aware at all - so what is the number you have given based on?
Also, do you have numbers that show that Skoda vehicles are as reliable as others? Or is it just because you have not faced any issues?

More than any JD power survey I would trust the reports on the forum. This is the true data point and it's pretty clear that there are only a handful of owners who are happy with their Skoda's but the majority here on this very forum are not.

And I agree that not every vehicle owner posts on this forum but it doesn't mean that Skoda owners post here more than others hence you see more issues here.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd July 2014 at 18:26.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 01:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Also, do you have numbers that show that Skoda vehicles are as reliable as others?
I do not recall having made such a sweeping statement anywhere. If I have, you are entitled to an unconditional apology because that would be incredibly stupid. The reverse should also hold true, in my very humble opinion.

If one were to quote stuff from Team BHP, there are a couple of eminently quotable Private Messages from the old days that I had saved for posterity. However private messages are by definition 'private', and decency demands that these are not made public.

This debate was apparently triggered by a statement made by me which was contested in a manner that still does not seem to stand up to scrutiny. The question I asked thereafter also remains unanswered.

I stand by my original statement.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:49   #81
Team-BHP Support

Based on my observations

Fabia - big issues with the 1.4 petrol
Old Octavia - plenty of happy owners- only issue was misdiagnosed problems and crappy dealers
Old Octavia RS - I got a bad one, but most folks were happy, only issue is that the car could not take the higher ambient conditions and dealers had no technical knowledge about the car
Laura - Big issues with AC compressor and condensors and some DSG issues otherwise I see few complaints
Old Superb - parts availability
New Superb - 70% of them have had a DSG issue (my estimation) and some had a few electrical problems causing battery leakage
TSI engines - no issue except for a thirst for oil
Yeti - no issues at all except for an AC upgrade.

Frankly - The simple diesel Skoda's are reliable - 500000 european taxi drivers cannot be wrong. The newer TSI models are fine. The issues are around the DSG versions, the older petrol ones and the AC compressor. Things got amplified by poor dealers

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd July 2014 at 13:14.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:03   #82
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry for this longish post but think it would be apt.

In Jan, 2002 I had bought this Octavia 1.9 TDI for my father as a retirement gift. In fact this is the first Skoda sold to mango man in eastern region. Contenders were Sonata and Mondeo (I doubt if I have seen any one on the road in moving condition in last 5 years).
I never regretted for the choice of car. As 12 years and 1.5 lac Km later the car is performing still like dream without any major issue. Maintenance wise the car is not bad as it took only one battery change (first OE lasted 7 years), once coolant change, once clutch change, once timing belt change, once suspension overhaul. Still no AC gas refilling, no electrical fault no oil consumption, no efficiency drop etc etc.

But the culprit was the ASS and total lackluster attitude of Skoda. Last 5 years I am seeing FNM (except a very cautious trip to dealership to get some parts which were hard to locate outside) and I am quite happy. I have seen dealership going from bad to worse to worst to worse again. I have faced issues like alter fuel filter pipes and claiming the fuel pump needing change (within 25 K KM of ownership and quoting 85K for the same) which I solved myself to putting extra oil intentionally to charging for oil filter without changing it to keeping struts nuts loose to claim suspension problems etc etc. Basically, every time I had been to workshop I used to be in total agony before during and after the visit. They are that bad.

But, this is not just a Skoda problem. The same is true for all expensive cars like VW, BMW, Audi, Mercedes. The reason we don’t hear so many horror stories about other big 3 Germans is most probably because the owners of the more expensive brands in most cases don’t care, send the cars with drivers have plenty of other cars and plenty of money to waste and dealerships just take that to their benefit. Now Skoda being in the bottom of these aspiring brands tried to play same game and faced the resistance.

Actually I think European cars are more reliable than Japanese cars. My Dzire suffered axle bending within 2 years to 3 times suspension failure to 3 times battery change in 6 years to timing chain change, oil pump change but as most of these were covered under warranty or for very reasonable amount it gives a perception of low maintenance car.

For example, once my sister bought a Civic in USA which suffered from transmission failure in one month. The Honda dealership needed 4 days to replace the transmission and gave a loaner Accord. Sister was unhappy as was planning for long trip and the Accord V6 is a gas guzzler, the dealer reimbursed the full fuel cost as well and though there was a transmission failure in such a new car, sister became a lifetime Honda customer. Whereas we hear lot of horror stories about BMWs having power window failure in few weeks ownership because the above the failure the dealer’s behavior the tendency to disregard the warranty by some means, the hassle to get a loaner car for the extended period they normally take for repair give a perception of European cars being unreasonably tough cars to own.

So net, I would say until Europeans learn how to treat customers reasonable the Japanese will still rule with lesser technology, filmsy build quality.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2014 at 10:59. Reason: Adding spacing for better readability
sinhsha is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 11:57   #83
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Nothing new in the below article!

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/LY...is-behind.html
PPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 12:36   #84
BHPian

I feel the below article hits it where it hurts Skoda. And they know it!

I feel Team-Bhp where Harjiv's case has gathered a lot of support (rightly so) has played a very important role too. None of the people in my circle are ready to touch a skoda no matter how tempting it is. My cousin has a polo which he bought even after I told him not to, is not at all happy with the maintenance cost and service center. He owns an E class, C lass, Civic and Polo petrol.

From here onwards I really dont now how Skoda plans to bounce back. They will have to put a lot of effort to gain customer confidence again and over a long period of time. Their Dealer network and A.S.S has let them down.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 21:31   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Because we are discussing Skoda, the problem lies with the dealers & Skoda. Especially, in the way in which dealers treat consumers/cars & Skoda keeps mum.

I am unsure of dealers in metros, but if you are staying at a small place, do not buy a Skoda.

The dealer from where I purchased the car, couldn't even give an appointment for routine service.

The dealer shut its shop & neither the dealer's HO (Calcutta) has been able to provide me with a satisfactory answer, nor Skoda. The said dealer, Jia Auto is the exclusive dealer for entire West Bengal. Wherever there is a Skoda in W.B. it has to be Jia. Last heard, they were expanding to Assam as well. Explains the nexus...?

Car had to be sent for repairs at Patna, as Siliguri dealer shut its shop and due to some issues or the other, car is lying over there for more than a month.

For claim settlement etc, I had to keep speaking over phone with the insurance company, the dealer did its bit to lengthen the process. I do not understand the tie up between Bajaj Allianz and Skoda if it has to function this way.

I am attaching a screenshot, where it would provide a bit of insight into functioning of Skoda. I know it is not the right thread (Mods may move this post)

I wanted to post a new thread, highlighting my issues/concerns, but I do neither have the time nor inclination.

And interestingly, Skoda is yet to either call or mail me for this concern. It is been over 15 days. Guys, who are patronizing Skoda, if they would like to answer this please...

VW likely to curb Skoda India's operations-untitled.jpg

Let me also add, that the car has had no issues. It is faultless mechanically. It is the dealer and the company which has ruined the whole experience.

I always cc a mail to GTO, just to be sure...you know it is a Skoda.

I am running from pillar to post to get the car back & I should hopefully get the Car in 1st week of August. I just hope dealer hasn't done any nuisance. BTW, to replace the front bumper, bonnet, (RH) head-lamp, (RH) ORVM and windshield, you need to shell out Rs. 1,55,000. Yes, no extra zeros added Sir.

Car is a Yeti Elegance.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 23:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am running from pillar to post to get the car back & I should hopefully get the Car in 1st week of August. I just hope dealer hasn't done any nuisance. BTW, to replace the front bumper, bonnet, (RH) head-lamp, (RH) ORVM and windshield, you need to shell out Rs. 1,55,000. Yes, no extra zeros added Sir.

Car is a Yeti Elegance.
It isn't just you my friend. I also had a harrowing experience with Skoda after my car met with an accident,the only saving grace was the GM there,else my car would've spent more time at the A.S.S

I dropped the car on 5th May,Vinayak Cars KR Puram gave me a quotation only by 15th May (a cool 10 days),the surveyor visited on the 20th and took another 15 days (5th June) to give his consent (National insurance). Finally work commenced by 15th of June (5th to 15th was simply wasted) and was done by 30th June or so. On 29th when I called these chaps I got a shocker,the original estimate based on which the work was commenced was for 1,10,000 and these guys coolly added many items WITHOUT informing me or the insurance guys taking the total bill to a whopping 1,37,000 for repairing a C2 segment car(bonnet,left HL,windshield and left fender replacement)

What's worse is BOTH never told us about National Insurance not having cashless facility with Vinayak till the day before we were suppose to take the car (agreed I should have checked rather than leaving it to them but shouldn't a SA do atleast that much?).

So on 30th,we had to run around and make withdrawals,settle by cash and get the car out. We reached there and found that all the re-painted panels were yet to be polished and interiors looking like those abandoned cars you find by the roadside,so we asked them to clean it and in an hr or so by the time we settled the bill and returned to the car,these guys had promptly ruined the roof liner and the roof material now sags and looks like a small tent within the car! We were so fed up with having dealt with these morons until that point,that we had no energy left to fight any longer.

In the entire 2 months NOT ONCE did the SA call us to give an update on the status. It was always us, and it took a minimum of 5-6 tries, for him to spare a minute of his precious time for us.

I had been lucky for 7 years to have escaped the 'Skoda service experience' but my luck ran out in May. I had high regard for Skoda and even considered another car as the Octy was getting old,but I seriously doubt a Skoda will occupy my garage anytime in the future.

So please check with these guys regularly and visit them to ensure they don't ruin your car. If they still do,just sell it and never buy a Skoda again.

EDIT: Mods,If this post is OT here,kindly move it to where appropriate. Thanks

Last edited by shashank.nk : 31st July 2014 at 23:13.
shashank.nk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 19:38   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear BHP-ians, a little late to the forum but here is one topic I can write about! So allow me to share a slightly different point of view.

First my Skoda history - Laura, 2006, 150,000 kms + Superb, 2010, 85,000 kms. Both cars have served my family & me marvelously both in-city and inter-city. Once the Laura had a collision with a Tata 407 (which chose to drive on the wrong side) and the quality of repair work done thrilled me. Having said that, on the other hand, the clutch of the Superb collapsed at 80,000 kms and needed to be replaced at my cost. Over these 8 years I've dealt with my Skoda after sales service through 'managing' the engineers and managers at the dealership and maintaining a relationship with them. A good human bridge helps make even a poor situation a little better.

Their after sales service is no where near Honda or Maruti (also own a Jazz & Zen in my joint family) but in my limited experience it has not been as bad as the sheer fury I read of on these pages. Maybe I am more tolerant because I remember the days in the 1980s & 1990s when Maruti (yes Maruti) were infamous for their arrogance and impatience with customers. That changed only after other foreign makes were permitted to set up manufacturing in India from 1994 onwards. I am not questioning the experiences of other members and empathize with their problems. If VW are planning to 'curb' their Skoda operations then they are treating the wrong ailment. Skoda's after sales service is not outstanding because VAG's whole approach to after sales service is defective. I would not be surprised if it stems from an attitude of teutonic condescension.

It is time to replace the old girl Laura. I was actually thinking of the new Octavia. The threads on Team BHP have at least for now held me back.
V.Narayan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 10:35   #88
BHPian

In my opinion the later entrants in the Indian automotive industry have employed new dealers who are moneyed people from other businesses.
In Pune I purchased and service my Polo at B U Bhandari who have been in the automotive business for years, and I noticed that they even people from Mumbai are sending their cars here for service as they do not un necessarily increase work.
B U Bhandari has been in automotive business for ages, first selling the Matador, then the Daewoo Cielo, later Tata cars and now they have Mercedes, VW and Triumph dealerships.
A friend who sent his vento for 30,000 km service at another dealership was told to change brake discs drums, pads and rear shoes, etc. I was told that this is recommended by VW at the 30K service, but we will check up on the wear and then you can take the call. My bill was just above 7000 while his was above 20000.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote