Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2014, 09:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: *Rumour* Toyota Vios For India In 2015

The petrol would most likely be an Etios 1.5 engine in a higher state of tune. I believe there is a version on the Vios that rates at 109PS and 141Nm, which would put it firmly among the other players in the C2 segment.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Seriously? Can't see anything on there similar to the Etios, except of course that it's a sedan and carries the Toyota badge, maybe I'm not seeing it right...
You missed the mirrors. For me, the car looks dull. Will not turn any heads on the road.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
The petrol would most likely be an Etios 1.5 engine in a higher state of tune. I believe there is a version on the Vios that rates at 109PS and 141Nm, which would put it firmly among the other players in the C2 segment.
Vios has a 1.5 ltr. engine with is different from the one we get in Etios. Vios has 5NR-FE adn what we get in Etios is 2NR-FE. The Etios motor lacks VVTi ( basically variable valve timing ), which even small cars or compact cars like Swift, Grand i10 and even Eon (1.0 ltr) have. Etios engine was mainly developed for Indian market to keep the costs low. As the engine of Etios is very long stroke and to have durability, the rev. limit is also less in Etios.

Toyota should have brought in the Vios's 1.5, but they were very optimistic for volumes of Etios and hence developed a new engine, that too without VVT.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
You missed the mirrors. For me, the car looks dull. Will not turn any heads on the road.
Hmm, maybe it does come across as dull - that bit is a little subjective - but I do stand corrected, the mirrors are similar to the Etios, there must be truth in the statement "the mirror maketh the car..."

P.S. No offence meant whatsoever, I just completely disagree with the statement that it looks like a slightly upmarket/face-lifted Etios.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good thing IF Toyota brings the Vios to the market, but have to disagree on the 1.8l engine bit. All it has is the 1.3/1.5l engines, so 1.8;\l engine is out of the question.
Regarding the diesel engine the 1/4d4d in the 90bhp avatar is best suited as it will bring it on par with the competitiors.
And regarding product differentation , both the Verna and Elantra share the same 1/6l CRDI albeit with different gearing and Toyota should be really stupid to launch it in the 68bhp variant when the lowest power figure in the class is 90BHP.

BUT for all these discussions, TKM wont even budge a bit. They wll be contend to stand still till the next gen IMV platform is launched and they get their next set of cash cows. So these are all wishful thinking. Rush, Avanza, Yaris/Vios, 2.5vnt Innova are all our wishful thinking, when all that the company thinks about is how to extract maximum from the existing Etios platform that they foolishly invested in, not to say that the Vios if launched will have a narrow place to play between top end etios diesel and base mode Corolla pricewise.

Last edited by DicKy : 9th July 2014 at 11:28.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:16   #21
BHPian

Vios would certainly be a good addition to their stable as they are missing a City/Verna challenger. 1.5 petrol would do just fine but a single diesel engine on Liva all thru Corolla? Sounds very odd - though if it makes it a value buy, not many would crib!
But given their penchant for profit margins, i dont see how this would be priced to start at 7L. No point in getting a me-too, rather they should go all the way and get it right on most counts.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

This will be s direct competitor to Honda City version III or IV and to the new Hyundai Elantra.

Styling is much better than the current Corolla Altis.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:58   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to BHPian D4D for bringing this to our attention. Thread re-opened.

Nikkei Report

Quote:
Toyota Motor is adjusting its strategy for India's auto market. Unable to gain much traction with the budget Etios, the company has decided to introduce the Vios compact by 2017, aiming at middle-class drivers who can afford to choose a vehicle based on more than just price.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Considered a strategic car for emerging economies, the Toyota Vios could be manufactured here by 2017 and eventually replace the Etios sedan.

Mechanically, the Vios will come with a 1.5-litre four-cylinder engine that puts out 107bhp and is mated to a five-speed manual gearbox. The 1.4-litre diesel motor will also be made available in this car.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nd-389373.aspx
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Considered a strategic car for emerging economies, the Toyota Vios could be manufactured here by 2017 and eventually replace the Etios sedan.
However, isnt 2017 too far away?
By then the City would have already got another facelift dose, the Ciaz would be up and running, the Verna would have been upgraded and the ETIOS would have been a forgotten story long ago.

It can only mean Toyota plans to remain on the fringes till 2017 and sit on dwindling profits or even losses?

The strategy should have been to go for a replacement by 2015 rather that 2017. AND what if Vios fails? Does Toyota have any back up plan?
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
However, isnt 2017 too far away?
Sounds like a Joke. What is Toyota upto? Have they really given up on the Indian market?

There is hardly any competition to the Honda City and the segment is wide open for manufacturers to grab a slice of the City pie. I think Toyota is best positioned to share that pie as far as brand equity, after sales and product quality/reliability goes.

I just don't understand why it takes ~3 years to get an existing product into India. New development - I can understand...
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

All they have to do is shoehorn the 1.4 d4d into the Vios engine bay and launch it here. The big company Toyota is, sure they can do it in 6 months time instead of 3 years.
Maybe waiting for the next gen IMV products to be launched and milk them or rather trying to extract more value from the Etios platform.

As much as i can think over it can't understand their planning, they are going to give the Etios a makeover next year(2015). Then launch the Vios in 2017 replacing the Etios.
Why can't both of them co-exist? The Etios moved half a segment lower and the Vios fighting with the City.

Edit- oops. didn't see the Nikkei report.
So the Etios will get a makeover in 2015, and be phased out 5 years later.

Last edited by DicKy : 22nd July 2014 at 11:58.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:03   #28
BHPian

Even I heard the news, albeit from a more trusted source - My friend who works in TKM, Bangalore. I would not like to name him or his designation, but as per what he said, the Etios facelift project has been totally scrapped, and the Vios - earlier known as Yaris will be coming in 2018.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

*Rumour* Toyota  Vios For India In 2015-2014toyotaviosdashboard.jpg
Isn't the ICE located too far away from the driver seat?
Though liked the placement of the central airvents, the ICE positioning is a little awkward.
Good thing they have steering controls.
Maybe till 2017, they can pull out a major facelift with better ergonomics.

Last edited by turbospooler : 22nd July 2014 at 12:37.
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:49   #30
BHPian

So Toyota will bring in the Vios in 2017 !! Exactly 4 years after its market debut (the present generation) in other Asian Markets.
Once again, Toyota wants us Indian's to make do with a platform that will be making way for a new one. The All new Vios will be out in 2018 and we will get the phased out one and Toyota will sell in in India till 2027 ! Well done Toyota !!
Honda needs to be respected for offering us the new generation Honda City every time its offered anywhere in the world.
Closed Thread