Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th August 2014, 14:47   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Could you please tell us, how many seconds more it would add to the 0-100 dash and how much reduction will be there in the top speed, if I add 100 kilo additional weight to the same car ?.
I don't have test runs of my own. However, there must be a reason why a car that is down on power by 15bhp (Swift), manages to run circles around a Punto Sport right. This is not just because the Suzuki runs a better gearbox and better tune, there is weight at play as well.

I'm not too worried about top speed. It is acceleration and driveability that matters.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 16:00   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Punto 90 (1144kg )actually weighs 64kg more than Swift diesel (1080kg). And at the same time cars like i20 crdi (1212 kg) and Vista D90 (1180 kg) are heavier than Punto! So its the Punto that enjoys best power : weight ratio among these.
Can't agree more here. Even that's what my understanding is. 100 additional kilos would have added 1 second or maximum 2 seconds delay to a dash of 0-100, that can't be an excuse for 5/6 seconds delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
no matter what tune that engine is, it is doomed.
It's the tuning which is the most troublesome part for the current Punto. Gear ratio also adds fuel to the fire. Just try to drive a remapped Punto, there is a huge difference between the stock and the remapped one. I can vouch on it as I am running a TOT map on my 90HP Punto.

At the cost of repeating my earlier question, Hyundai has revised their gear ratios 4 times in i20 ( If I recall correctly ), heck they even have two transmissions ( 5 speed and 6 speed ), recently all i20 CRDI owner received a ECU map update to reduce the lag in second gear based on few complaints. Even new Swift tuned to reduce lag and provide linear power delivery. At least everyone is doing something or the other, and experimenting.

If Fiat can not bring in the new engines for whatever reasons they have, that's fine. It's understandable that they were sleeping all this while and they can not do it overnight.

But how many geniuses it takes to tune the engine better ( Which people have been cribbing from years ), and rework on the first and second gear ratios ?. Even if they made it a 14 second car with a better gear box and shorter clutch travel, people would have accepted it as a good move by Fiat.

Contrary to an earlier statement made here by a fellow BHpian that, Fiat wants to make cars for enthusiasts and not concentrating on mass market, what I am trying to understand is,

a) 195mm GC:- I am yet to come across an enthusiast who wants to sit so high on a hatchback and drive. He would obviously look for ride and handling. The earlier suspension was the benchmark for ride and handling. Why are you fixing the things which are not broken. Even if you really had to, why 195mm ?.

b) Yet to come across an enthusiast, who loves to drive a car which looks beautiful but doesn't do justice to the sporty looks with its lethargic performance.

c) Why on the earth Fiat has to concentrate on the looks of the car which nobody complained. It was a good looking car anyway. There were other issues with the car which they did not even bother to address.

For me, changes in Interior is a good move, Exterior is good but it was never bad to start with. I wouldn't call it an upgrade.
linuxmanju is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 16:27   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
It's understandable that they were sleeping all this while and they can not do it overnight
Mayte, how long does a car company need to wake up.

Speaking specifically on the diesel as we are a diesel market. We have been asking for a better tune, better or bigger engine, reduced weight from the day Fiat made a come back. What have they done so far in this regard? Nothing.

I am aware that tot can unleash the true potential of this engine. That is fine. However, when I am putting down nine big one's, I better get that beast of an engine right from the factory.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 18:31   #289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
I am driving a 1.4 for close to five years now. If 15+ kmpl is on the lower side, that is what I get on highways with speed mostly at 80-90 kmph. On a 400 km trip of mixed road conditions, 13.5 kmpl is what I get on the MID at the end of the trip.
Yes, it gives just 9-11 kmpl in city.

This is just my personal experience.

OT: The thread for a closer look at Punto Evo ends up scrutinizing other/all FIATs.
Thanks for your feedback, very very tempted to buy the Punto Evo 1.4 Petrol now but have already pre-booked the Tata Zest Revotron

Tata will have to mess up at official launch & pricing hugely for me to consider a switch now.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 21:29   #290
BHPian

Talking Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Just test drove the new Punto EVO 93ps at Ramkay Fiat(CHENNAI)!! I am completely smitten by it(drove for 8kms) what a car?!The first and second gears are a little irritating but not to the level it has been blown to on this thread. Mind you I drove the car at 6:30pm on a saturday in Velachery main road(Chennaites will know what I mean) and still there was decent acceleration to squeeze into gaps, not as peppy as a Swift in the first two gears. But once i was in 3rd gear ,as soon as I enter Inner Ring Road, it was just brilliant and 4 & 5 were the icing. The ride, handling and confidence inspired by the car was just on a different level altogether. BTW Glitterati Gold is unbelievably good on the Punto.

To be fair the clutch travel was very long, almost twice compared to my Innova or so I felt. The footwell was SMALL. Space was ahem!! a little dear at the back. Lastly, I got to understand what many you meant about the first two gears as I drove my Innova in the same traffic and the Innova was a breeze. But still I maintain it wasn't as bad as whats been posted here.

OTR in Chennai,
Punto EVO petrol:
ACTIVE 1.2:549308
DYNAMIC 1.2:614019
EMOTION 1.4:791473

Punto EVO Diesel:
ACTIVE 1.3(75): 631594
DYNAMIC 1.3(75): 740280
EMOTION 1.3(75): 811858
SPORT 1.3(93): 853937

DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
After reading many reviews on Fiat Showrooms was expecting only OK experience, but what I got was just amazing experience. The Sales Person came right away as soon as I entered and was very accommodating. Test drive was offered promptly and he knew his stuff, But ( I'll get to it). Price sheet and brochure were handed over as soon as test drive was done. Overall, Very good experience. "First Impression is Always the Best Impression", absolutely true.

The BUT,
Me: the Turbo-lag is not as bad as some people report online.
SP: Sir!! But this is Multijet not turbo sir there is no turbo!!!
Me(But politely): No sir, this car has a Variable Geometry Turbocharger and the name of the engine is just called 'Multijet'. A turbocharger uses exhaust gases......(Him interrupting me)
SP: Oh Ok sir!! I know how a turbocharger works, thanks for correcting me.

I was happy he was willing to learn.

He told me Fiat uses 0.9mm steel gauge for the Punto and Linea!!!! Is it true?? Felt Solid but Seriously?

VERDICT: Definitely a car you buy with your heart.

Last edited by Shanksta : 9th August 2014 at 21:39.
Shanksta is online now   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 21:56   #291
Senior - BHPian

I think it will be a good idea to do a weight check on different cars. It is very hard to believe numbers sometimes because cars like the Punto and to an extent Polo and i20 always feel like their weight figure would suggest but something like a Swift does not. I wonder why that is the case? Just wondering if that is possible? If it is, then it will be a welcome addition to the official test drive. What say mods?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 09:46   #292
BHPian

My opinion on Evo as an existing Punto customer:
Punto 90 hp had just two major faults, both of which seem to be sorted to an extent now in evo.
1. Ergonomics : driver seat ergonomics are much improved and better now with better under thigh support. I am planning to change my punto's seat to Evo's shortly.
2. With better ergonomics for driver, legroom behind him is also better.
So, Punto evo 90 seems to be the perfect hatchback now if you like the looks ( I prefer the older). :-)
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 12:07   #293
BHPian

Visited one of the Fiat showrooms in Mumbai to check out the all new Punto Evo. The car looks beautiful and the build quality is top notch. I took a test drive and was pleasantly surprised. In fact I spoke to couple of people who took the test drive before me and they loved the car too.

Just like Tata, Fiat seems to have made some changes at dealerships. The sales people at the showroom were courteous and knowledgeable which is a good starting point.

Strengths:
-Looks: 4/5
-Build quality: 4/5
-Ride & Handling: 4/5
-Ground clearance (I think this is an important aspect which works well on Mumbai roads which have loads of potholes and speed breakers) : 3.5/5
-Pricing: 3.5/5
-Features : 3.5/5

Weakness:
-Lower gears: 2/5
-Legroom: 2/5

I love cars which are safe and predictable so for me outright acceleration has never been a selection criteria. While Punto Evo maybe slow of the block, I am more comfortable enjoying the drive with my loved ones. Given this, I have not rated the engine performance.

Surprisingly, there was a decent turn out at the showroom to see this car in person and quite a few test drives were lined up. Maybe if Hyundai was to price Elite i20 at 5 lacs+, we may see a bit more Punto Evo on road.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-shoppingtoollanding.jpg  

Last edited by damager21 : 10th August 2014 at 12:08.
damager21 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 14:06   #294
BHPian

I think FIAT is getting sandwiched between two kinds of customer. One is automobile enthusiast who like performance and another is typical Indian customer who like more Resale value and Mileage. As an overall package I think that Dynamic is very good VFM purchase with default Music System and Safety feature. As many people also says the service quality of the FIAT has also increased a lots it may be wise choice to go for the EVO.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 18:21   #295
BHPian

Test drove the Punto Evo 90HP at the Fiat Caffe, IRR, Domlur today. As I eased out into the traffic along the TD track on IRR (kidding!) something was amiss. The pickup from 800 odd RPM from 2nd was completely d-e-a-d! Was I really driving something christened 'sports'? Told the SA seated next to me that something was wrong and that even though I was driving the punto for the first time with all the suitable disclaimers about its slouchy performance tempering my enthusiasm, no one expects to potter for eternity, waiting for the motor to wake up, every time one crawls over a speadbreaker. The SA was a little skeptical and was eyeing me with the suspicion one reserves for a rookie driver. Once he took over the wheels however, he confirmed something was wrong with the TD car. That was confirmed in subsequent TDs also. We all wondered what it could be.

To salvage the situation and to bring a smile back on my downcast face, the SA offered the 75HP Emotion to me. Things improved considerable this time, the engine behaved almost exactly like the one on Swift, driveability was good and I felt some of the flak I have read on this thread about the first two gears are perhaps unfair. The midrange was strong and I won't add to the tomes already written on The Punto's R&H

Am hoping the TD on the 90HP (once they pull out the gremlin which caused today's mischief) should be even better. Extrapolating from the 75HP TD, I feel city driving should be a breeze if one isn't too lazy keep the left arm busy (working the gear lever I mean) Didnt think the ergonomics are off (it could be better in other make/models - cant be sure) This is the one to opt for highway cruising with the HPS unit being the clincher.
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 21:05   #296
BANNED

Finally someone wrote about this. Fiat made a big mistake not bringing in their brilliant MultiAir petrol engines from Europe into Indian markets, thinking this is a diesel market.

This would have been so brilliant on the Punto.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...ir-india-97069
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 21:46   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Test drove the Punto Evo 90HP at the Fiat Caffe, IRR, Domlur today. As I eased out into the traffic along the TD track on IRR (kidding!) something was amiss. The pickup from 800 odd RPM from 2nd was completely d-e-a-d! Was I really driving something christened 'sports'?

From 800 RPM in 2nd gear will make any multijet engine variant feel like taking eternity to accelerate. Thats same with Swift as well.
The best way of making the mjd work in traffic is by :
1. Keeping the rpm always above 1000 (or atleast the idle rpm)
2. The anti stalling mechanism by the usage of the brakes in crawling traffic which helps the car to move with using the accelerator.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 23:53   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Test drove the Punto Evo 90HP at the Fiat Caffe, IRR, Domlur today. As I eased out into the traffic along the TD track on IRR (kidding!) something was amiss. The pickup from 800 odd RPM from 2nd was completely d-e-a-d! Was I really driving something christened 'sports'? r.
Even the best matched swift gearbox doesn't respond to you while yiu are in 2nd gear @800rpm

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 10:16. Reason: As per PM. Lets stop being ridiculous here
mchanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 23:59   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna View Post
Even the best matched swift gearbox doesn't respond to you while yiu are in 2nd gear @800rpm
Are you trying to say that the 90PS engine needs to be revved whereas the 75PS engine pulls from 800rpm without any issues?

I am asking because hothatchaway is saying that the 90PS was dead starting from idle whereas the 75PS felt like the Swift.

On top of that the Fiat sales guys confirmed that there was a problem with the 90PS TD vehicle.

But you think that the Fiat sales guy and the others who TD'd the car are wrong, and the 90Ps is supposed to be that way which is completely dead from 800rpm onwards and even worse than the 75PS.

And, please don't call a 90PS 1.3L litre as a sports vehicle. Then we will have Corolla Altis diesel owners with their 1.4L 88PS engines and Honda Amaze owners with 1.5L 100PS diesel engines calling themselves Formula 1 category.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 10:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 09:20   #300
Senior - BHPian

I had requested Fiat for a Test drive (online) of 90 HP Punto back in May '14 while I was deciding between this & GT. I got a call for the same on Saturday, Aug '14 !!

Anyways, I did oblige for the TD of the Evo 90 HP 'Sports'. It is surely no comparison that I want to do b/w this and my GT, but just few observations:

- If a manufacturer puts up a badge such as 'Sports', if not them atleast the product should do justice for the badge. Evo 90 HP is a far cry from that. Believe me it is not slow, but IMO Evo 90 HP diesel must be a standard option and cannot be badged 'Sports'.

- My GT responds so well down the RPM limit that it can take off right from 800-900 RPM in the 2nd gear even from a stand still. Evo 90 HP struggles at the same RPM even while rolling. Yes a 1.6 Diesel will have the torque advantage, but Grand I10 CRDi responds better at those RPMs compared to 90 HP EVO (IMO).

- Build quality of the EVO has improved by a lot compared to my friend's Punto 90 HP, but still is not close to say my bro's I-gen I20, or at least I feel so.

mchanna I am not trying to deny your words here, but quite frankly I feel 90 HP must have been a standard option on the EVO for at least Dynamic & Emotion. Sports should have had a better gearing, may be a better VGT and a better tuning.

Evo looks awesome in flesh, call me an old school but I still feel the Old Punto looks the best till date, better than even Volvo V40 !!

Evo has all the Hardware in place now, the flaw really is the 'Heart' !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

And, please don't call a 90PS 1.3L litre as a sports vehicle. Then we will have Corolla Altis diesel owners with their 1.4L 88PS engines and Honda Amaze owners with 1.5L 100PS diesel engines calling themselves Formula 1 category.
Vid6639 you got me ROFL !!

I totally agree with you on the 'Sports' badging of the EVO. Fiat, if not anything, should have really concentrated and pepped up the 'Sports' version of the EVO.

Dare I say, 90 HP 'Sports' feels almost a cosmetic & psycological improvement over the regular 75 HP.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2014 at 10:17. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Vik0728 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote