Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th August 2014, 09:29   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Has FIAT badged the 90hp as sports anywhere now?

I think it was there earlier (with sticker job), but in the Evo I saw only the 90hp tag line.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 09:55   #302
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

If Swift can name its 75HP as sports by putting some spoilers and stickers then 90HP without the sports badge can be very well treated as sports.

I am not defending EVO here, I am just trying to say that one should drive a sports vehicle like a sports vehicle.

I agree with you on the better gear ratios, and that has been discussed to lengths and every one agrees the pathetic gear ratios. No two thoughts about it.

2nd gear @800 RPM all cars feels sluggish! I face this sluggishness everyday in my TJET and it is very irritating I agree. But that doesnt make TJET slow.

Build quality of i20 is better than EVO? :shocked:
mchanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:07   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I think it was there earlier (with sticker job), but in the Evo I saw only the 90hp tag line.
Yes. Thankfully Fiat realised that they don't need a Sports badge and have put only 90HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna View Post
If Swift can name its 75HP as sports by putting some spoilers and stickers then 90HP without the sports badge can be very well treated as sports.

I am not defending EVO here, I am just trying to say that one should drive a sports vehicle like a sports vehicle.
Fiat and Maruti calling their cars as "Sports" is not the same as one of us calling a 1.3L 90HP car as sports. Marketing rubbish doesn't really work on the majority here.

And this so called sports car has the same 1.3L engine with 90HP in the Indica Vista, Ertiga and SX4. How come those don't need to be driven like a "sports vehicle" with the same engine?

I think it's safe to say that the particular TD vehicle had an issue and did not need to be driven like a "sports vehicle". There's no reason the pick up should be that bad. Last time I drove a Punto 90HP, it was ok not as bad as what hothatchaway described.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:44   #304
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget the i10 'Sportz' version either. I find it hilarious every time I follow one. typically, both the car and the driver (no offence meant!) are as non-Sportz as it can get

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th August 2014 at 10:45. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:49   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes. Thankfully Fiat realised that they don't need a Sports badge and have put only 90HP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

They still do call the 90 HP as Punto Evo "Sport". The brochure says it, the website says it!

There is no "Sport" badge anywhere on the car though. Probably one of the longest name for a hatchback : "Punto Evo 93 PS Sport"

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-90-hp-evo-sport.png

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 11th August 2014 at 10:52.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:59   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Don't forget the i10 'Sportz' version either.
What ticks me off more is calling it "Sportz". Is there even a word like this?

It is a different thing that the car does not entirely qualify for that tag but then spell it correct. Just call it "Sport".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna View Post
I face this sluggishness everyday in my TJET and it is very irritating I agree. But that doesnt make TJET slow.
You see, that is the difference. Even in the right gear, hammer the throttle on both cars and tell me how they respond. The T Jet response is almost instant. In the Punto 90, the ECU or god knows what, is still thinking what it should do.

I was super excited when Fiat plonked the 90 engine in the Punto. After driving a TD car, I felt the 75 had better bottom end response. There is a considerable lag in throttle response on the 90 and you can feel it in every gear, as you are try to accelerate.

Does the Linea 90 diesel have different gearing or map that it does not suffer as much or is the story the same?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th August 2014 at 11:11.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:06   #307
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Don't forget the i10 'Sportz' version either. I find it hilarious every time I follow one. typically, both the car and the driver (no offence meant!) are as non-Sportz as it can get
The Sportz version on the i10, i20, grand i10 and even the Eon, are misleading as they are basically a different variant of the same car. There's nothing sporty about it, its just a name that the company has chosen for one of their variants.

Although I do agree that it is gimmicky and misleading.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:14   #308
BHPian

I think there is no harm in calling a variant 'sport' atleast from marketing point of view where the model itself has more powerful engine, better tyre specs and altered interior theme. Atleast it makes more sense than how Hyundai utilizes the moniker by providing a spoiler at the back in their hatchbacks

For the driveability part, I believe Punto 75 is better than Swift DDiS as far as turbo lag is concerned. It doesnt feel as dead when RPM level goes below 1000 (in 2nd and 3rd gear). Performance once the RPM rises is a different equation though.

Similarly Linea (VGT MJD) has even worse lag than Swift. Infact the gearing is something peculiar in initial gears where you either get bogged with lag or the rpm gets too high if you shift to lower gear. Its little tricky. But once you find the open road VGT is better than FGT (in fiat cars).
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 11:58   #309
BHPian

Punto 90HP is a highway cruiser than a good city car and all the current 90HP owners (including me) were well aware when it was bought. And it is no different now (Engine or gear ratios did not change). And about the highway ride/handling and mid-range power surge - Auto magazines have praised it number of times - and name "Sport" do all its justice here. At the end of the day we are not going for 0-100Kmph race. It is just city driving - I drive my 90HP in bumper to bumbper traffic daily and it is not necessary to start off in 2nd gear always (those who have been driving petrol cars have this requirement - I know). If you want such a car, go for Etios or the likes - they have been tuned for city driving.
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 12:03   #310
BHPian

Spotted an EVO at display in Season's Mall Pune. What an awesome design for alloys. The car also looked good in flesh.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:11   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Test drove the Punto Evo 90HP at the Fiat Caffe, IRR, Domlur today. As I eased out into the traffic along the TD track on IRR (kidding!) something was amiss. The pickup from 800 odd RPM from 2nd was completely d-e-a-d! Was I really driving something christened 'sports'? Told the SA seated next to me that something was wrong and that even though I was driving the punto for the first time with all the suitable disclaimers about its slouchy performance tempering my enthusiasm, no one expects to potter for eternity, waiting for the motor to wake up, every time one crawls over a speadbreaker. The SA was a little skeptical and was eyeing me with the suspicion one reserves for a rookie driver. Once he took over the wheels however, he confirmed something was wrong with the TD car. That was confirmed in subsequent TDs also. We all wondered what it could be.
This is really a bad experience on the brand new TD car. First time driver on a 90hp fiat will take a bit of time getting used to the odd 1st and 2nd gear but there is no issue on the 90hp that the car wont move from 800 rpms. Infact the rpms built up quite quickly on the 90hp motor.

The 75hp feels spirited until 1750 because the peak torque on the 75hp motor comes at 1750 rpm and that on 90hp comes at 2000 rpm.

This is a clear case of the TD car having some issue.

The further funny part is i can see public jumping in and finding one more reason to bash Fiat. Yes they call a 90hp sports and its not a sports car or a F1 car. So arent the other indian manufacturers producing any sports car and still putting funny colored autographics and calling them sports. Further some call the 90hp turbo a " Super Turbo DDIS" too.

Lets keep that apart, no one here is a thumb sucking child that he will fall for the marketing gimmicks like calling their cars sports.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:18   #312
BHPian

^^^The SA drove the car himself right after I did and so did a couple of other folks at the dealership and the SA confirmed to me there was a problem with the TD car. I do not believe the car could be that bad to drive. I wonder what the issue could be, maybe an enlightened soul can chip in

As for the 75HP, I didnt find the drive to be bad at all, unless of course you are looking at outright sprints. Didnt know that the 75 hp turbo spools earlier, hope the 90HP makes up for that with a stronger midrange, now only if I could have that TD!

Last edited by hothatchaway : 11th August 2014 at 14:19. Reason: punctuation
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:29   #313
BHPian

Heard that Evo seems to have a good response in Pune with almost 12-15 cars being booked a day since the launch. Got this info when I dropped my Linea for some body work on Sat.
Palio_2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 14:30   #314
BHPian

Without discount, Fiat will find extremely difficult to sell Punto Evo. Problem is people ( even Fiat fans) expects huge discount from Fiat everytime. This is one of the reason Linea is struggling to sell & clocking even less nos than its predecessor. People will come back only when Fiat start offering substantial discounts.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 20:41   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Test drove the Punto Evo 90HP at the Fiat Caffe, IRR, Domlur today. As I eased out into the traffic along the TD track on IRR (kidding!) something was amiss. The pickup from 800 odd RPM from 2nd was completely d-e-a-d! Was I really driving something christened 'sports'? Told the SA seated next to me that something was wrong and that even though I was driving the punto for the first time with all the suitable disclaimers about its slouchy performance tempering my enthusiasm, no one expects to potter for eternity, waiting for the motor to wake up, every time one crawls over a speadbreaker. The SA was a little skeptical and was eyeing me with the suspicion one reserves for a rookie driver. Once he took over the wheels however, he confirmed something was wrong with the TD car. That was confirmed in subsequent TDs also. We all wondered what it could be.

To salvage the situation and to bring a smile back on my downcast face, the SA offered the 75HP Emotion to me. Things improved considerable this time, the engine behaved almost exactly like the one on Swift, driveability was good and I felt some of the flak I have read on this thread about the first two gears are perhaps unfair. The midrange was strong and I won't add to the tomes already written on The Punto's R&H

Am hoping the TD on the 90HP (once they pull out the gremlin which caused today's mischief) should be even better. Extrapolating from the 75HP TD, I feel city driving should be a breeze if one isn't too lazy keep the left arm busy (working the gear lever I mean) Didnt think the ergonomics are off (it could be better in other make/models - cant be sure) This is the one to opt for highway cruising with the HPS unit being the clincher.
As a 90HP owner, I believe this is what might have happened.

The car is sluggish when fully loaded, with ACC on, and when the engine is not at optimal operating temperature yet. Add to this, inclines which are plenty in a city like Bangalore. Was the temperature needle at C when you started the TD?

There shouldn't be any problem as such in a brand new car otherwise, unless the car was smoking a lot under acceleration.

I experienced this very recently as I was in Bangalore for the weekend, and the way the 90HP delivers power, you need to keep the revs high, which is not always possible in B2B traffic. Which is the reason the 75HP (which is more linear in power delivery) is a much better choice if most of the usage is within the city. The 90HP is more suited for the highways.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 11th August 2014 at 20:44.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote