Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th August 2014, 23:36   #316
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

FIAT should bring out the EVO in automatic /CVT/ AMT version, this will definitely create as buzz as we don’t have many cars in this category in the Indian market.
I understand that AMT is being manufactured by FIAT’s sister concern but still it eludes its own group product Punto, bad strategy …. FIAT.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 12:52   #317
BHPian

At the risk of being shot for opening another possible can of worms (judging by how passionate the discussion has been on this thread) how would one rate the Punto (Evo) on its ruggedness on variable terrain? Since this is too broad a term, let me define a parameters - if you were to do a trip from Bangalore to lets say Leh and had to pick a premium hatch, would you trust the Punto with your life? How would a Polo fare in comparison (citing the Polo since in the premium hatch shootout these two are the usual suspects)

To be objective, can we have folks who own a Punto and have made such daredevil trips comments. We all swear by its cruising ability on the highways but what about unpredictable terrain, do the mechanicals hold up? What about driver comfort? Is the underbody safe from a hit to the oil sump? If one has driven multiple cars to such terrain a comparison is even better. Since the Evo is unchanged mechanically, such input may make for an even informed (and passionate?) debate

Reason for bringing this up is by now the entire nation and adjoining villages in neighboring countries know the Punto will huff and puff in a 0-100, however other elements like durability and the ability to cruise under varying conditions may also count in a prospective buyers mind. There are folks who like nothing better than to burn some rubber on the highway and rack up miles...and they may have another ride with better driveability for use in the city
hothatchaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 13:50   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
At the risk of being shot for opening another possible can of worms (judging by how passionate the discussion has been on this thread) how would one rate the Punto (Evo) on its ruggedness on variable terrain? Since this is too broad a term, let me define a parameters - if you were to do a trip from Bangalore to lets say Leh and had to pick a premium hatch, would you trust the Punto with your life? How would a Polo fare in comparison (citing the Polo since in the premium hatch shootout these two are the usual suspects)

To be objective, can we have folks who own a Punto and have made such daredevil trips comments. We all swear by its cruising ability on the highways but what about unpredictable terrain, do the mechanicals hold up? What about driver comfort? Is the underbody safe from a hit to the oil sump? If one has driven multiple cars to such terrain a comparison is even better. Since the Evo is unchanged mechanically, such input may make for an even informed (and passionate?) debate
I don't think both the cars mentioned here will have a problem in holding up with the unpredictable terrains you mentioned. These cars are well engineered, and we do have examples in the forum where the members have taken the likes of Linea, Laura etc. to these terrains. For the example you gave, I think one member have taken his Linea MJD from Bangalore to Leh, that too before Fiat came up with the SUV-like GC.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 14:10   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Reason for bringing this up is by now the entire nation and adjoining villages in neighboring countries know the Punto will huff and puff in a 0-100, however other elements like durability and the ability to cruise under varying conditions may also count in a prospective buyers mind. There are folks who like nothing better than to burn some rubber on the highway and rack up miles...and they may have another ride with better driveability for use in the city
If I may qualify to answer this question for 2 reasons, 1st. The Linea is based on Punto and the 2nd I own a Linea for almost 2 years and have done 40K kms.

Firstly let point out a few things on the Fiat and then bring out points on the other cars.

The suspension and underbody is quite rugged and can take quite a bit of abuse. The suspension too holds up quite ok with driving on rough roads. The thick sump guard is quite good at protecting the oil sump. My Linea did not face any issues with respect to the oil sump even though it took quite a bit of beating. The car with 90 HP (VGT) did not cause any issues with lack of power as such when climbing the mountain pass. A few issues that crop up on driving on bad roads are

1. The alignment goes off quite easily if one is not careful.
2. The alloys can get bent with lower profile rubber that comes on 16 inchers. Need to watch the speed when passing over the deep pothole or abrupt road surfaces.

On whether a Polo would it? I believe there is a travelogue where the Polo did the Leh circuit. I saw hatchback of all sorts doing the leh circuit, did see 800, alto, spark, polo and the usual UVs.

But doing Leh in any car is different proposition to just driving over bad roads. Many things can go wrong in the Leh circuit.
nkrishnap is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 14:48   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If I may qualify to answer this question for 2 reasons, 1st. The Linea is based on Punto and the 2nd I own a Linea for almost 2 years and have done 40K kms.
Even i should qualify to answer your question after onwning a Fiat Grande Punto for 3.5yrs and having done 65k kms on it on varying road conditions. To talk about what this car can do, let me talk in brief about a trip i did in 2011. I drove the car all the way from Bangalore to Patna and then a return trip too in October'11. The car handled brilliantly and was able to do a 5500km round trip without any issues and even after returning to B'lore i only took it to the service center when it was due for its next service of 30kms (after approx 9k kms of driving post-trip).

On my onward journey, i drove through the Jabalpur-Katni-Satna-Rewa section which is a bad bad road. When i say bad its really really bad. At times, you just got to stop and have a look ahead to judge which of the tracks will result in minimal hit to your car's bottom. I don't know the no. of hits my car took that fateful night when I drove those 200 odd kms. taking over 8hrs to reach Rewa. I was pretty much worried about my car. As soon as i reached Patna, first thing i did was to take it to the Fiat ASS who, much to my surprise, said there's no problem with the car or misalignment and you can straightaway drive it back to B'lore!

After a break of 4days at home, i restarted at around 3.30pm from Patna reached Kolkata (Howrah Bypass, connecting GT road to NH60 towards Kharagpur) around 9.30pm. Next day morning we started from Kolkata at 10am and was in my appartment's parking lot in Whitefiled the next day at 6pm. It was neat. Absolutely brilliant and not once in the journey did i loose confidence in my car.

And this is something i don't think is easily doable in any other car.

Regards

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 12th August 2014 at 14:50.
Thumping Soul is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 14:49   #321
BHPian

Quote:
One of my earlier posts in this thread might answer some of your points. I won't call them daredevil but certainly testing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3493222 (2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look)

Travelogues are here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...unto-hatu.html (Go Snow - With my Punto to Hatu)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...diu-punto.html (Did the Diu! Delhi-Ahmedabad-Diu in a Punto)

EDIT

Quote:
Contained answers to almost every qs that I have, thanks! Am guessing that the lack of underthigh support can be managed with some adjustment and the driver does not tire even after covering almost 4 digit distances
A competent after-market seat cover guy should be able to fix it. Good thing is that it doesn't come with factory fitted leather seats like Linea so, the owner can get it tweaked the way he/she finds it comfortable. One shouldn't generalise the ergonomics, what's comfortable for me, might not be comfortable for you, and vice versa. So, if you are really considering a Punto ask them for a long test drive (at least 30/50 KMs).

Last edited by Biraj : 12th August 2014 at 15:13. Reason: Responding to subsequent post
Biraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 15:02   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
One of my earlier posts in this thread might answer some of your points. I won't call them daredevil but certainly testing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3493222 (2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look)
Contained answers to almost every qs that I have, thanks! Am guessing that the lack of underthigh support can be managed with some adjustment and the driver does not tire even after covering almost 4 digit distances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
After a break of 4days at home, i restarted at around 3.30pm from Patna reached Kolkata (Howrah Bypass, connecting GT road to NH60 towards Kharagpur) around 9.30pm. Next day morning we started from Kolkata at 10am and was in my appartment's parking lot in Whitefiled the next day at 6pm. It was neat. Absolutely brilliant and not once in the journey did i loose confidence in my car.

And this is something i don't think is easily doable in any other car.

Regards
Same question - what are the fatigue levels like in the Punto and how does it compare with some of the other 'cruisers'?
hothatchaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 15:40   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Same question - what are the fatigue levels like in the Punto and how does it compare with some of the other 'cruisers'?
I wasn't that tired. Driver fatigue can be adjudged from the fact that two of us were able to make a straight dash to B'lore from Kolkata with a 4hr break in Vijaywada and also a straight dash from B'lore to Rewa starting 3.30pm reaching Rewa the 2nd day around 2am. So it was absolutely comfortable to drive.

Another trip that i can talk of from fatigue stand point was B'lore - Pune - Shirdi - B'lore. All in 3days. No fatigue levels to talk about. B'lore - Pune drive was flat 14hrs on both sides.

Regards
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 17:19   #324
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This is a Punto Evo thread. Please stick to the topic or your post will be summarily deleted.

Posts discussing In-gear acceleration of Punto vs other cars have been shifted to another thread. You may continue the discussion here (In-Gear Acceleration (3rd & 4th) of common hatchbacks and sedans).
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 18:24   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think it will be a good idea to do a weight check on different cars. It is very hard to believe numbers sometimes because cars like the Punto and to an extent Polo and i20 always feel like their weight figure would suggest but something like a Swift does not. I wonder why that is the case? Just wondering if that is possible? If it is, then it will be a welcome addition to the official test drive. What say mods?
You "feel" there is difference in weight due to the way the weight is distributed. The terminology used is sprung and unsprung weight. Here's a very simple difference in calculating sprung and unsprung weight:

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/sprung-c.htm

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 17:54   #326
BHPian

I am happy that FIAT bought an upgraded car with good interiors and LED tail lamps but they could have done much better with LED/projector style head lamps with DRL and re worked the gear ratios.

They had a chance to improve the over all plastic quality and add little more leg room to the rear cabin.

over all i am happy with the new looks but i personally would prefer a little less chrome!
Sweet Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:12   #327
BHPian

There is a genuine nomenclature confusion about sports badging especially when it comes to Fiat. They do not maintain consistency don't know why.

E.g. The Trims of Linea are named as dynamic, emotion and what not feelings and all of a sudden they name a trim same as the name of Engine- T-Jet. To maintain consistency Linea T-Jet should have better called as Linea Sports. This could have retained the nomenclature with Palio 1.6 sports, i.e. cars which lives up to the respected 'Sports' badge unlike 'Sportz' which is meant to welcomes bashes.

Coming to Punto 90, I have mentioned this in another thread, that though Punto may not look that great in city (and on paper), but the car has to be driven on highways to see its capability.
That car had put me in a repenting mode when a Punto 90hp was able to tail me on my T-Jet+ while driving from Mumbai to Bangalore.

Another speed breaker and I could see the Punto on my left. During this time I started to doubt my decision and to pacify I would think 'huh! I have a 500lit boot space and 16 inchers' and all leathers lol ! ..

Having said that, I felt Punto made more sense than my T-Jet.

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2014 at 14:34. Reason: No mention of illegally high speeds on Team-BHP please
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:18   #328
BHPian

The new innovative advertisement, or a more of a depiction of the classy design I would say.
karzzexped is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:40   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Coming to Punto 90, I have mentioned this in another thread, that though Punto may not look that great in city (and on paper), but the car has to be driven on highways to see its capability.
That car had put me in a repenting mode when a Punto 90hp was able to tail me on my T-Jet+ while driving from Mumbai to Bangalore. The car used to be head-on till 160 kmph when gradually T-Jet would pass ahead.
Another speed breaker and I could see the Punto on my left. During this time I started to doubt my decision and to pacify I would think 'huh! I have a 500lit boot space and 16 inchers' and all leathers lol ! ..
So 160 kmph is not a practical speed and this was done since it was an open highway with no civilisation and traffic in vicinity(weekday). Having said that, I felt Punto made more sense than my T-Jet.
Actually, a lot depends on the guy at the wheel. It is not that our cars lack power for our regular driving. It has more than enough. It is our willingness to explore that matters. I happened to pick up a ride in one of my friend's Swift. I was aghast to see that by the time the car was at about 50 kmph, he was already in fifth gear. On observing further, I saw that he barely touches 2000 rpm, when he up-shifts. I asked him, "do you ever work the turbo"? He gave me a confused look and said, "the SA at the service center asked me to shift at 2000 rpm for better mileage". Most of the people who boast about their 100 bhp cars and cars that could do 0-100 kmph in 10 seconds, do not utilize even a quarter of their car's capabilities. Most of the Swifts run like 1.3L NA engines. None of them visit anything beyond 3000 rpm.

While I'd definitely like to see bigger, powerful engines in the Punto, I would happily buy the current "under-powered" Punto than other swifter cars, and use the gearbox to extract the maximum out of it.

ps: I was a bit put off with my Ecosport AT's lack of power when I started driving it. Now, I just step on the accelerator pedal, let the DCT downshift and look at the RPM needle climb up to red-line. Gives me more pleasure than driving a powerful car at 2000 rpm.

Last edited by blacksport : 13th August 2014 at 19:42.
blacksport is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 08:01   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

I couldn't agree more with you Speed Pujari on that comment.

Though I have not owned a 90HP or have driven one for thousands of KMs, I have had couple of opportunities to experience the driving pleasure of one. This happened through BLR-HYD highway, which have some really good straights & slow curves. Got to drive Old Swift DDIS & 90HP Sport back to back. Though the old DDIS engine had the addictive turbo kick, once the speed picks up 90HP felt effortless, predictable & confidence inspiring.

But what makes the Punto feel 'Slow/Boring' is that it fails to give the same feeling over short or quick bursts. It is not slow, but just does not feel like it has the 'Fun Factor' !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Actually, a lot depends on the guy at the wheel. It is not that our cars lack power for our regular driving. It has more than enough. It is our willingness to explore that matters.

Now, I just step on the accelerator pedal, let the DCT downshift and look at the RPM needle climb up to red-line. Gives me more pleasure than driving a powerful car at 2000 rpm.
Quite frankly blacksport you have almost contradicted yourself here.

For example if you consider your Ecosport, you probably had not utilized or realized the fun of redlining until you actually did it. Now that you know how that feels, you probably are doing it more often that you usually would. This has not by any means added extra BHP to your Ecosport, it has just enhanced the 'Zing' of your drive.

The issue with Punto/Evo is that engine is free revving, but it needs some considerable tarmac for it start giving out that Zing. Agreed many/most of the drivers will never explore all of the cars potential, but in today's world its a cut throat competition.
Not only is a buyer spoilt by the number of choices, even the manufacturers are exploiting the slightest loop-hole or opportunity to promote their product.
Between EVO & Swift, the latter has won half of the battle by just being Maruti. But you tell me, how many buyers will want to/be allowed to experience the true potential of an EVO on a showroom TD to be convinced enough to pick this over Swift ?

P.S - Though I own the GT, Punto is still my favourite Hatch back in India. I wish we had something like Maruti Punto GT TDI !!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote