Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th May 2015, 17:59   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Did anyone also face this : I think I mentioned this in my ownership report. I do not get a feeling that the entire cabin is cooled when the ACC is on.
For example when the outside temp is about 38C I set the ACC temp to 24. I get that cooling feeling only if I direct the vent towards me. On the other hand I've noticed that in our Swift Dzire the cabin gets rapidly cool and stays that way. In the Evo however, the cooling just disappears as soon as we turn off the AC.

I mentioned this at FASS and wanted it to be checked. The technician switched on the ACC and plonked in a digital thermometer into the AC vent. It showed -5 and he said it's ok. Morever he said that this AC does not rapidly cool, but tries to maintain the temp based on the outside temp so there's no extreme difference when we step out.

I have the same problem in my Linea. As per their initial diagnosis, the system was slightly low on gas. So I got the gas recharged a month back. The initial blast of cooling did improve but post that when the ACC settles down, the same problem would occur. Reported it again, and they checked with the thermometer and it was throwing out air at 2-3 Celsius. A couple of days back, I got the blower cleaned - slight improvement in the noise from the blower, but the main problem still persists. I asked them to check if the sunlight sensor is working. They visually inspected it and said it's fine. I'm a little skeptical about this variable, right now. I would be a happy man, if their diagnostic tool okayed the sunlight sensor.

I set the temp a degree lower with the blowers pointed to the roof. While the effect is better, I do think that there's some problem somewhere and FASS seems to be lazy to diagnose what's beyond the probable. They show me that thermometer and conclude that the cabin is "chilly".

I remember the AC to be a chiller in extreme summers outside Bangalore and with sunlight directly on my skin.
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 21:17   #437
BHPian

Smile Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Did anyone also face this : I think I mentioned this in my ownership report. I do not get a feeling that the entire cabin is cooled when the ACC is on.
For example when the outside temp is about 38C I set the ACC temp to 24. I get that cooling feeling only if I direct the vent towards me. On the other hand I've noticed that in our Swift Dzire the cabin gets rapidly cool and stays that way. In the Evo however, the cooling just disappears as soon as we turn off the AC.

I mentioned this at FASS and wanted it to be checked. The technician switched on the ACC and plonked in a digital thermometer into the AC vent. It showed -5 and he said it's ok. Morever he said that this AC does not rapidly cool, but tries to maintain the temp based on the outside temp so there's no extreme difference when we step out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The fact;

And the fiction.

It is better to sit in another Punto Evo and check if it is the same. Also the ACC works a bit different from the manual AC(if your Dzire is equipped with it).
Quote:
You're right. The Dzire had a manual ac. I'll check out another punto evo and see.
Anyone with a Punto Evo with ACC in Pune, can you pls let me know
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I have the same problem in my Linea. As per their initial diagnosis, the system was slightly low on gas. So I got the gas recharged a month back. The initial blast of cooling did improve but post that when the ACC settles down, the same problem would occur. Reported it again, and they checked with the thermometer and it was throwing out air at 2-3 Celsius. A couple of days back, I got the blower cleaned - slight improvement in the noise from the blower, but the main problem still persists. I asked them to check if the sunlight sensor is working. They visually inspected it and said it's fine. I'm a little skeptical about this variable, right now. I would be a happy man, if their diagnostic tool okayed the sunlight sensor.

I set the temp a degree lower with the blowers pointed to the roof. While the effect is better, I do think that there's some problem somewhere and FASS seems to be lazy to diagnose what's beyond the probable. They show me that thermometer and conclude that the cabin is "chilly".

I remember the AC to be a chiller in extreme summers outside Bangalore and with sunlight directly on my skin.
I got the Delivery of my Punto Evo Emotion on friday. This is the first time i am using a car with ACC. Well even i am facing this issue ( if i should call it an issue ). The ACC is set at 16 degrees ( due to delhi heat ) but still the car doesnt get chilled from the inside. My nano's AC feels much much better. Is there any particular way the ACC has to be used ?

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 21:37   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
The ACC is set at 16 degrees ( due to delhi heat ) but still the car doesnt get chilled from the inside. My nano's AC feels much much better. Is there any particular way the ACC has to be used
What is the outside temperature (roughly) when you are feeling this issue?

I suggest you to first open the windows, set the blower on 2 or 3 position and let it run for a while till the air is blown out through the windows decreasing the cabin temperature.

After than roll up the windows, set the desired temp to 23 deg C and the A/C run for a while later on slowly decreasing the temp to 18 deg C.

No point in directly setting 16 C and waiting for it to cool as the load on the A/C system will increase.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 22:08   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is the outside temperature (roughly) when you are feeling this issue?

I suggest you to first open the windows, set the blower on 2 or 3 position and let it run for a while till the air is blown out through the windows decreasing the cabin temperature.

After than roll up the windows, set the desired temp to 23 deg C and the A/C run for a while later on slowly decreasing the temp to 18 deg C.

No point in directly setting 16 C and waiting for it to cool as the load on the A/C system will increase.
Alright. I do roll down the windows so that the hot air can escape. I will surely try this method and report back. Thanks a ton
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 17:55   #440
BHPian

Just completed 750 KM round trip from Bangalore - sringeri - bangalore in my Punto Evo 1.2. The car was fully loaded (4 adults & 2 kids during onward journey and only 4 adults during the return journey + fully loaded boot and 100% AC)

I had driven 1.3L 75 HP Palio before this car and definitely feel that 1.2L with its 68 HP is not suitable for highway run, but for city its just perfect especially in a city like bangalore.

If one plans their overtaking carefully on the highways they should enjoy the drive as the ride and handling are superb!

I got a overall mileage of 14 KMPL for this entire trip which included a lot of twisty roads between chikamagalur and sringeri. My car has just about to reach 8000KM on the ODO and i remember some one mentioning that the mileage improves after the second service which is at 15000 KM/1 year.

With in the city limits with 70% AC i usually get around 10 KMPL
ant_vas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 08:27   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
I had driven 1.3L 75 HP Palio before this car and definitely feel that 1.2L with its 68 HP is not suitable for highway run, but for city its just perfect especially in a city like bangalore.
just out of interest, any particular reason why you went for a Petrol? Usually Punto is associated with the 1.3MJD Another person who owns a Petrol FIAT said he loves it for the free-revving nature and he doesn't care about the fuel efficiency.
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 09:51   #442
BHPian

Quote:
just out of interest, any particular reason why you went for a Petrol? Usually Punto is associated with the 1.3MJD Another person who owns a Petrol FIAT said he loves it for the free-revving nature and he doesn't care about the fuel efficiency
My running has reduced from 55km/day to just around 12-15 km/day. I would have continued using the 1.3MJD, but at around 98500 Kms on the odo, the engine started to have problem with white smoke coming thru the dip stick.

So i was forced to changed the car and considering the running has come down so decided it will be petrol. Also the engine is pretty quiet as compared to the MJD
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 15:18   #443
BHPian

First Long trip with my new Punto Evo 90hp:

Start ODO: 791
Finish ODO: 1901
Distance Covered: 1110 kms in two days
Hills: 104 kms (52 kms one way)
Average Mileage: 18.2 km/l (Full tank method)

Highway drives were smooth and I did not push the car beyond 80-100km/hr. Up hill drives were not so pleasing in terms of hill climb. Drive control and swinging it around sharp bends was a breeze. The lack of pull power in the first and second gears was very evident. Steep slopes were truly an uphill task, just wondering if this is the case with the 90hp alone or is the torque better in 75hp?
Rover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 23:13   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For example when the outside temp is about 38C I set the ACC temp to 24. I get that cooling feeling only if I direct the vent towards me. On the other hand I've noticed that in our Swift Dzire the cabin gets rapidly cool and stays that way. In the Evo however, the cooling just disappears as soon as we turn off the AC...
For max & most efficient cooling (as per Maruti), keep the windows rolled down; set the AC to max position (max blower & lowest cooling) and drive for a min or so & roll up the windows after that. Once the cabin has cooled, set the optimal temperature.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 23:33   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alright. I do roll down the windows so that the hot air can escape. I will surely try this method and report back. Thanks a ton
Any update here?

How do you find the A/C now?
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:17   #446
BHPian

Quote:
My nano's AC feels much much better. Is there any particular way the ACC has to be used ?

Thanks
IMHO the Auto Acs are not very compatible to our tropical type climates and very few or none of the cars available have it calibrated right to bring down the temp. drastically and stay that way. That's why the manual Acs feel more effective comparatively.

If your car is standing in direct sunlight and all of the interior is scorching, the ideal way would be to roll down all windows and wait for a minute or two or drive for about 30 seconds while simultaneously keeping only the blower on at slow speed to rid the insides of the ac of the hot air. Remember, cars standing in the sun with all windows closed, can have the interior temperatures coming to around 70deg! The plastics, air, fabric, everything! The best and fastest way to get rid of that is to ventilate with cool ambient air as described above. Your poor automatic ac tries to do this via a small vent which is about 4inch X 6inch in size at the most. That takes much longer plus loads up the ac a lot. Now after doing the above, please turn blower speed to full and Ac temp. to 'Cold' or 'Low' or the minimum coldest setting while also rolling up the windows. Now your cabin should start cooling down rapidly. If people are seated in the back seat please direct the flow of the two middle vents in between the two front passengers towards them. Especially for cars without rear vents. After you feel that the cabin is chilled enough you can set blower to first or second speed or as you like and set temperature according to your comfort. This is how you can manually get the best and fastest cooling out of your car ac on a hot day. You can switch to Auto later too.

Your auto ac does all of the above except for the initial hot air purging bit. You can help it by doing it manually and hence also relieving the ac of a lot of initial load.

A simple way to do it in Auto is: Roll down windows, press Auto(ac), press the recirculation button to recirculate mode, as you are letting in fresh air manually. You can start driving and roll up windows after about 20-30 seconds or so. That should do it.

Hope this helps and hope I was not too complicated.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:22   #447
BHPian

Smile Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any update here?

How do you find the A/C now?
Sorry for not updating. Was extremely busy. Well the trick you mentioned worked like a charm. Now i have set the temperature at 22 degress and i hardly go below that. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
IMHO the Auto Acs are not very compatible to our tropical type climates and very few or none of the cars available have it calibrated right to bring down the temp. drastically and stay that way. That's why the manual Acs feel more effective comparatively.

If your car is standing in direct sunlight and all of the interior is scorching, the ideal way would be to roll down all windows and wait for a minute or two or drive for about 30 seconds while simultaneously keeping only the blower on at slow speed to rid the insides of the ac of the hot air. Remember, cars standing in the sun with all windows closed, can have the interior temperatures coming to around 70deg! The plastics, air, fabric, everything! The best and fastest way to get rid of that is to ventilate with cool ambient air as described above. Your poor automatic ac tries to do this via a small vent which is about 4inch X 6inch in size at the most. That takes much longer plus loads up the ac a lot. Now after doing the above, please turn blower speed to full and Ac temp. to 'Cold' or 'Low' or the minimum coldest setting while also rolling up the windows. Now your cabin should start cooling down rapidly. If people are seated in the back seat please direct the flow of the two middle vents in between the two front passengers towards them. Especially for cars without rear vents. After you feel that the cabin is chilled enough you can set blower to first or second speed or as you like and set temperature according to your comfort. This is how you can manually get the best and fastest cooling out of your car ac on a hot day. You can switch to Auto later too.

Your auto ac does all of the above except for the initial hot air purging bit. You can help it by doing it manually and hence also relieving the ac of a lot of initial load.

A simple way to do it in Auto is: Roll down windows, press Auto(ac), press the recirculation button to recirculate mode, as you are letting in fresh air manually. You can start driving and roll up windows after about 20-30 seconds or so. That should do it.

Hope this helps and hope I was not too complicated.
Thank you. I have been following this method now and the AC issue has been completely solved. The cabin cool within minutes with the temperature set at 22 degree celcius
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:35   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for not updating. Was extremely busy. Well the trick you mentioned worked like a charm. Now i have set the temperature at 22 degress and i hardly go below that. Thanks a lot.
Thanks for the update and I am happy that it worked.

If one directly walks-in, sets 18 degrees and waits for the A/C to cool, the journey would end. With the temperature differential being high, the time taken for the A/C to cool would be longer and load on it too would be higher. Hence if we go progressively on the A/C it is better rather than being aggressive.

This is what I think. I may be wrong.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 00:52   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I have been following this method now and the AC issue has been completely solved. The cabin cool within minutes with the temperature set at 22 degree celcius
You're welcome. Good for you. Enjoy. The way I see it, these 'Auto' Acs are suitable for only colder climate countries like Uk, US, etc where they have cold climate with intermittent heat and or rain etc. We're better off manual here. The best way :thumbup:
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 12:56   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
Up hill drives were not so pleasing in terms of hill climb. Drive control and swinging it around sharp bends was a breeze. The lack of pull power in the first and second gears was very evident. Steep slopes were truly an uphill task, just wondering if this is the case with the 90hp alone or is the torque better in 75hp?
1st & 2nd are good on 75hp. You can really use the second during climbing and even for steep inclines. Even with 4 people the 2nd is good on inclines. I thought Fiat had retuned the 90hp for better performance in 1st and 2nd but it seems timing chain issue is keeping them from doing it.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote