Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2015, 23:22   #541
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 564
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Well, one reason might be the huge windshield that offers a large area for heating up.

But despite that, what you guys describe seems wrong. I would suggest you get the AC plumbing and the gas level checked by a competent FNG.

The wind shield could be a culprit as it is in most cases in these increasingly escalating temperatures nowadays. Maybe Fiat uses glass which isn't adequately insulated, lamination-wise. That results in high levels of heat RADIATION into the cabin which is not visible but you will feel the end results.

I also agree with the suggestion to get the ac system checked. I have observed that most people expect Ac's to work flawlessly to the end of time without any small amount of care or maintenance or anything whatsoever. Just like that. Like its a table fan and if it's whirring, I should be cool. People accept that they have to service and maintain the engine, suspension and other parts but the ac should work even after 15 years just like new! Well, that's not going to happen. Not possible. Neither technically nor practically possible. It's not a solid state circuit board or something. Even those burn up if not cared for.

Here, evaporators can clog up, compressors can malfunction, condensers can loose their thermal heat-exchange capabilities, temperature doors can work poorly, thermal insulation can get compromised, gas can leak, the ECM can act up, and other long host of things can go wrong. So getting the poor thing diagnosed is a smart thing to do if you don't feel it's right. Believe me guys. It should not hurt our ego or something. . So go ahead and get checked and be sure what's the problem all about. Just my two cents.
pixantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 12:09   #542
BHPian
 
ant_vas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
The wind shield could be a culprit as it is in most cases in these increasingly escalating temperatures nowadays. Maybe Fiat uses glass which isn't adequately insulated, lamination-wise. That results in high levels of heat RADIATION into the cabin which is not visible but you will feel the end results.

I also agree with the suggestion to get the ac system checked. I have observed that most people expect Ac's to work flawlessly to the end of time without any small amount of care or maintenance or anything whatsoever. Just like that. Like its a table fan and if it's whirring, I should be cool. People accept that they have to service and maintain the engine, suspension and other parts but the ac should work even after 15 years just like new! Well, that's not going to happen. Not possible. Neither technically nor practically possible. It's not a solid state circuit board or something. Even those burn up if not cared for.

Here, evaporators can clog up, compressors can malfunction, condensers can loose their thermal heat-exchange capabilities, temperature doors can work poorly, thermal insulation can get compromised, gas can leak, the ECM can act up, and other long host of things can go wrong. So getting the poor thing diagnosed is a smart thing to do if you don't feel it's right. Believe me guys. It should not hurt our ego or something. . So go ahead and get checked and be sure what's the problem all about. Just my two cents.
If it happens on a year Old Punto then i'd rather think there is something wrong with the AC rather than assuming AC to work flawlessly regardless of the maintenance
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 16:02   #543
BHPian
 
rav11stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: RJY->PUN->DXB
Posts: 287
Thanked: 544 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Keep us posted on your findings, Ravi. Meanwhile, I will also try full blast at the 16 and see what the results are.
I've left the car at my hometown and returned to Pune; I didn't get time to get it checked locally as well.
However what's interesting was, this time while travelling I turned down the temp to 20, turned on re-circulation adjusted the middle vents so they point straight, switched to the middle air-flow option. It cooled the cabin considerably quickly.
I observed that the blower was at full blast initially, but gradually it slowed down by about 4 bars. All the while the outside temp showed 34.
I'll get the car checked as soon as I get time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Get a grill temperature reading done by a technician to see how much is the actual temp at the vents where the air comes out. It should be between 2deg to around 6-8 deg. If the temp never comes down to this range you probably have less gas or need a filter cleaning or service.
I complained about this during my first service and when the temp was checked near the vents it was 4 deg.
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 18:06   #544
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 564
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post

I observed that the blower was at full blast initially, but gradually it slowed down by about 4 bars. All the while the outside temp showed 34.

Yes, this is normal. In Auto Ac Mode the system is programmed to reach your preferred temperature as fast as possible in interest of the comfort factor. So when your cabin is hotter or when you first switch on the ac and your selected temp is on the lower side while ambient temp is on higher side, the ac will put blower to full blast to attain the desired temp fast and then as the cabin cools down the blower is also slowed down automatically and also the compressor cuts off at earlier intervals. This is the most common sequence of operation across all cars.
pixantz is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 20:29   #545
BHPian
 
ant_vas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

on sunday had parked the car whole day in the basement of the office and when i started back home in the evening with all windows rolled up and AC off, it started to see the mist on the windsheild and windows immediately.

I have observed mist happening a lot in my car especially when its raining.

I have to turn the air direction knob to windshield and then keep switching on/off the AC.

With Bangalore being cool on the last 4 days, i am just bugged with this problem. This never happened in my previous car which was Palio MJD.

Have raised this concern with Fiat when they called for a feedback on 2nd free service today. In the mean time any pointers as to what might be leading to this mist formation inside the cabin?

Last edited by ant_vas : 12th November 2015 at 20:31. Reason: changed the work fog to mist
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 09:03   #546
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Mist formation is due to excess humidity inside the car and a cold windshield. Roll the window down a crack and it normally disappears quite quickly -- in extreme cases, as you say, blow hot air at the windshield. If you are parking in the basement of your office, consider leaving the window open 1-2 mm. If it didn't happen with the Palio it is possible the doors weren't quite as airtight as the Punto's!

Last edited by rsidd : 13th November 2015 at 09:05.
rsidd is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 09:44   #547
BHPian
 
Grand Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 672
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
I have observed mist happening a lot in my car especially when its raining.
If all the windows are rolled up and the AC is off, make sure that the 'Recirculated air position' button is not selected to avoid mist formation.
Grand Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:35   #548
BHPian
 
ant_vas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 167
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
If all the windows are rolled up and the AC is off, make sure that the 'Recirculated air position' button is not selected to avoid mist formation.
Tried this with no luck!

Add to that the burning fuel smell especially from the old 2 stroke Auto rickshaw's in the bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic. I end up using the AC to get rid of the mist.
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 19:35   #549
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
on sunday had parked the car whole day in the basement of the office and when i started back home in the evening with all windows rolled up and AC off, it started to see the mist on the windsheild and windows immediately.

I have observed mist happening a lot in my car especially when its raining.

I have to turn the air direction knob to windshield and then keep switching on/off the AC.

With Bangalore being cool on the last 4 days, i am just bugged with this problem. This never happened in my previous car which was Palio MJD.

Have raised this concern with Fiat when they called for a feedback on 2nd free service today. In the mean time any pointers as to what might be leading to this mist formation inside the cabin?

Does you car have ACC?
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 18:40   #550
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 75
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Update on the AC issue:

It seems like clogged AC filter is the culprit here as diagnosed by the mechanic. Now, it's giving me chills.
Ryuu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 11:35   #551
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,952 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
on sunday had parked the car whole day in the basement of the office and when i started back home in the evening with all windows rolled up and AC off, it started to see the mist on the windsheild and windows immediately.

I have observed mist happening a lot in my car especially when its raining.
The weather outside is cold and there is humidity due to rains. When you close all your windows and the AC is off, the temperature inside the cabin increases (because of your body and your breath)
Because of this temperature difference, the moisture in the air condenses and settles on the wind-shield (forms mist).
In your Punto, turn all the knobs in the AC console (assuming its not an ACC) to the right most positions. While doing this, switch internal air recirculation off
  1. Temperature to the red
  2. Fan at speed 4
  3. Air flow direction to wind-shield
If you see in the AC console there is dehumidifying symbol on all the three knobs at these positions.
Attached is the picture of my Punto (Grande Punto 2010) where I've circled the positions in red. It is not different in the Evo
2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-capture.jpg

This will basically reduce the humidity and there won't be any moisture inside the cabin to condense and form mist.
After the mist has disappeared, Switch on the internal recirculation and change the temperature to a comfortable level.

If you have read the Owner's manual, It is exactly what is described in Page 40 and 41 (Grande Punto manual)

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look-untitled.jpg
Quote:
I have to turn the air direction knob to wind-shield and then keep switching on/off the AC.
Once you switch off the AC, mist will obviously start forming again.
Once you switch on, I do not understand why you switch off the AC again.
It is not the time to worry about Mileage or power. Do not switch off the AC until you can open the Windows.

Quote:
With Bangalore being cool on the last 4 days, i am just bugged with this problem. This never happened in my previous car which was Palio MJD.
As someone told before, your Palio cabin might not have been airtight.

Quote:
Have raised this concern with Fiat when they called for a feedback on 2nd free service today. In the mean time any pointers as to what might be leading to this mist formation inside the cabin?
Physics is the reason behind this issue. Forget Fiat ASC, I'm afraid no ASC can solve it.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 10:00   #552
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,952 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

One of my colleagues' 2013 Grande Punto is due for a tyre change. he has the 195/60 R15 Good year GT3 tyres.
The front tyres has worn out pretty fast and has now become almost completely bald at 29000Kms.
So currently he has swapped the rear tyres to the front which has some tread left in them.

He has to go for a new set now.
He wants to keep the same size and has no intentions of upsizing.
He wanted to know about the Apollo Alnac 4g tyres that come with the stock Punto Evos.
Request Punto Evo users for their experiences/observations/complaints/compliments/suggestions.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 11:26   #553
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

I saw on today's TOI Bangalore edition discounts of about 1.5 lakhs on the Evo. Great time to buy for those who look up to it.
Attached Images
 
PNTLovesNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 13:23   #554
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bangalore/Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

I drive a 1.2 Dynamic model and when I switch on the A/C, I hear a faint 'kirrrrrrrr' sound. It stays only for a few seconds and goes off. Even though I remember hearing it before, I always thought it was an auto rickshaw behind or overtaking, as that's exactly the sound it makes. Last month, I took my car for my third free servicing and had pointed it out to the workshop guy (KHT Fiat), to which he said he will inspect and revert. Later, while taking delivery I asked him if they had found out the source of the sound/why it was coming. He told me it was the 'low level of gas' that was causing it and that they had 'topped it up' (sorry, I don't exactly recall and I don't understand the mechanical stuff.) So I drove off and on my way when I switched on the A/C there was no sound. The next day, however, it was back just like before. I was upset, but I didn't call the workshop. And I didn't want to take my car again as I fear newer problems will crop up if they inspect too much. The A/C is working fine. And I want it to stay that way. Just that the sound is annoying, even though it stays only for two or three seconds. Can anyone tell me if it's normal or or they know why it's there? Thanks.
meples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 04:41   #555
BHPian
 
Joxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mechelen, BE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One of my colleagues' 2013 Grande Punto is due for a tyre change. he has the 195/60 R15 Good year GT3 tyres.
The front tyres has worn out pretty fast and has now become almost completely bald at 29000Kms.
So currently he has swapped the rear tyres to the front which has some tread left in them.

He has to go for a new set now.
He wants to keep the same size and has no intentions of upsizing.
He wanted to know about the Apollo Alnac 4g tyres that come with the stock Punto Evos.
Request Punto Evo users for their experiences/observations/complaints/compliments/suggestions.
I have heard pretty decent reviews about the Apollo Alnac 4G tyres from people, and they are certainly better than the Good Year GT3s. That being said, Michelin, Yokohama & Continental have better tyres, and although they are priced a little higher, the ride comfort and silence from their tyres are unmatched by the Good Years or Apollos.

Other than the price difference, is there any reason your friend does not want to buy Michelin, Yokohama or Continental tyres?
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look noopster The Indian Car Scene 1003 17th December 2017 10:34
2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look Jaggu The Indian Car Scene 122 24th October 2017 23:23
2014 Nissan Sunny Facelift : A Close Look FlyingSpur The Indian Car Scene 82 3rd May 2017 11:02
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks