Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th April 2016, 22:04   #586
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

This might be super old news and people might think that I'm kinda slow but I just had a Eureka moment today when someone (who is well-acquainted with the Italian language) told me the meaning of Punto - it means 'dot' or 'full stop'. Finally, I figured the significance of the red dot in the Punto badge.

Last edited by S2!!! : 17th April 2016 at 22:06.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:14   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
it means 'dot' or 'full stop'.
Punto- Point. Linea- Line.

And, since you are having the eureka moment now, hope you've also noticed that the 'P' in the earlier Punto badge looks like a driver?
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:51   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Punto- Point. Linea- Line.

And, since you are having the eureka moment now, hope you've also noticed that the 'P' in the earlier Punto badge looks like a driver?
I'll confess that I knew about the 'P' looking like a driver in the Grande Punto. However, the 'Punto' badge was restyled with the launch of the Evo and the 'dot' moved from above 'P' to 'T'. Even while researching for the Abarth Punto review I just couldn't understand why the 'dot' is red and finally today it all made sense.

Here's the ol' Grande Punto badge from our official review:
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 23:10   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here's the ol' Grande Punto badge from our official review:
I like the new badge; it looks quite chic. But the 'P' of the old badge was a well thought out artistic interpretation. I liked it so much that I even stuck the badge on the dash of my ex.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_230944.png
Views: 5918
Size:  415.5 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 00:59   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I figured the significance of the red dot in the Punto badge.
Here's a an excerpt from my ownership review. link

"If you, like me are wondering as to what the "red dot" signifies.

"The Punto Evo's dot is red for the high performance 135bhp petrol, and black for other engine types. It's a neat touch that encapsulates the attention to detail, thought and engineering know-how that has gone into producing the new Fiat Punto Evo."

A 2010 article explains it; reading it is sort of sad because even after 4 years, all they managed to bring to India are "Evo" and tail-lamps.

http://www.fiatpress.co.uk/press/article/1183"

Last edited by rav11stars : 24th April 2016 at 01:01.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 17:37   #591

Got a Punto evo active 1.3 from Butta Hyderabad fellow provided me an invoice mentioning vehicle name as grande punto when I asked he said telangana RTO registering evo also as grande punto is that true?
VIN number is MCA11816ExxxxxxxxxAGZ
naivedyanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 17:52   #592
BHPian

Default 1.3 MJD 90 HP VGT Review: An owner's perspective

I am sure everyone would be well aware about the Fiat’s 1.3 90 HP VGT engine that powers a lot of cars in India. Let’s have a look at the full list where this engine is/was used:

Maruti:
1) SX4
2) Ertiga
3) Ciaz
4) S-Cross 1.3
5) Vitara Brezza

Tata:
1) Manza
2) Zest (Now only in the top end trim)

Fiat:
1) Linea
2) Punto/Punto Evo Sports 90 HP

I drive Punto Evo 90 HP that is around 14 months old and has clocked 22.5K kms, so I feel that I am at a decent position to review the 90 HP in Punto.

Gears:
1) 1st Gear: Very short, almost useless in normal conditions, but starts making sense in bumper to bumper traffic as you don’t have to press on the clutch and can move forward by slightly pressing the accelerator. The Evo 75 HP has a taller 1st gear.

2) 2nd Gear: Again pretty short, but when going hard on the A-pedal the turbo does get in action and car surges forward with authority. With light foot, its best to upshift at 2000-2500 RPMs.

3) 3rd Gear: This is where the actual fun starts. It’s good for speed up till around 90 km/hr, after which one has to upshift, thanks to the awesome gear ratios designed by Fiat.

4) 4th Gear: This gear again has an awesome pulling power right from sub 2k RPMs all the way to 4k RPM. Its best to upshift at 4k RPM.

5) 5th Gear: Its tall which helps achieve speeds in the north of 140 km/hr. One can accelerate from 2k RPM all the way to the red line on this gear.

Gist: If one likes driving with heavier foot then all the gears apart from the 1st are fun, but with a light foot the fun lies in 3rd gear onwards.

RPMs:
1) Till 1500 RPM: Its almost dead, though with the latest ECU remap (done by Fiat) its manageable.

2) 1500-2000 RPM: The turbo starts spooling.

3) 2000-2500 RPM: The turbo comes in action and the car moves forward without much effort.

4) 2500-4000 RPM: IMO peak torque (209 Nm) is delivered at this range and one should utilize it to get the best out of the 90 HP. There is a massive pull felt when one drives with a heavier foot in this range.

5) 4000-Red Line: The motor has a sporty note and the 5th gear has some juice left in this range but it’s quite flat. This range should be used when one wants to do speeds north of 150 km/hr.

Gist:

Like any turbo diesel there isnt a very big power band to play with, but if one learns to stay at the 2000-4000 RPM range, there is a lot of fun.

Summary:
The Punto in its 90 HP guise feels best on open roads when you can drive at higher RPMs and unleash the true beast within, coupled with a nice sporty note and confident handling, it does have the sports element attached to it. It’s just that one needs to drive it the way it’s meant to be i.e by leveraging its free revving nature to extract the fun element.

NOTE: In no way I am promoting doing higher speeds. At places I have talked about the higher speed just to check the engine performance.

---
Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 30th June 2016 at 18:44. Reason: Refer mod note inline. Please follow our rules- next time infraction!
Waspune is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 18:22   #593
BHPian

Default Re: 1.3 MJD 90 HP VGT Review: An owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Gears:
1) 1st Gear: Very short, almost useless in normal conditions, but starts making sense in bumper to bumper traffic as you donít have to press on the clutch and can move forward by slightly pressing the accelerator. The Evo 75 HP has a taller 1st gear.
I bet you meant "in B2B traffic you don't have to press on the accelerator and can move forward by the taking the foot of the clutch slightly."

But the first gear is not useless in the linea. Whenever my dad tried to take u turns in 2nd gear with ac on from dead stop, the car almost stalls but ecu makes the fuel pour in(anti stall mechanism i presume) and it can be felt when depressing clutch ( revs climb to 1.4k without accelerator input for a moment). Anyways I just hate doing it. AFAIK Use the first gear to get your car start rolling and shifting up after covering a cars length is recommended or the above mentioned would happen.

Regards,
Gokul
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 19:15   #594
BHPian

Default Re: 1.3 MJD 90 HP VGT Review: An owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I bet you meant "in B2B traffic you don't have to press on the accelerator and can move forward by the taking the foot of the clutch slightly."

AFAIK Use the first gear to get your car start rolling and shifting up after covering a cars length is recommended or the above mentioned would happen.

Regards,
Gokul
Yes brother you are correct. Also, the shorter 1st gear is only for making the car move further. A taller 1st gear would have improved the 0-100 sprint timings and maybe would have let to a decrease in the FE.
Waspune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 20:56   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Yes brother you are correct. Also, the shorter 1st gear is only for making the car move further. A taller 1st gear would have improved the 0-100 sprint timings and maybe would have let to a decrease in the FE.

One of the reason quoted by Fiat India engineers for a short first gear was due to the heaviness of the vehicle, which led them to make the first gear very short.
NFS2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:53   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
One of the reason quoted by Fiat India engineers for a short first gear was due to the heaviness of the vehicle, which led them to make the first gear very short.
I agree. But the same Punto in Europe that even weighs more than the Indian spec Punto (as it's longer than 4m) had better sorted gear ratios. It took 11.xx seconds for 0-100 sprint.
Waspune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 04:30   #597
BHPian

How are the headlights? In the Palio Stile, the low-beam stays on when you switch on high-beam, giving a continuous spread of illumination. Does the Punto, or any other car, work that way?
yatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 22:23   #598
BHPian

Quote:

Gist: If one likes driving with heavier foot then all the gears apart from the 1st are fun, but with a light foot the fun lies in 3rd gear onwards.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.[/b]

Well as much as I want to agree with you, all the gear ratios are terrible and are a pain to live with on a day to day basis.

As you rightly said, the gear ratios were made short because of the heaviness of the car and Fiat has acknowledged this fact.

Weight of the car, short gear ratios, engine noise all combined don't make for a pleasant drive even if it's the highway. Ride, handling etc are a different argument though.
NFS2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 13:07   #599

Smile Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

If i may add my view here:

If my knowledge is right, cars like the Fiat Punto, MS Ritz where all designed keeping the European markets in mind. They were designed for cruising down the long open highways for fatigue free driving. Which was visible on their interior designs as well. While their front seats were supremely comfy, their backseats were so-so. To expect a Punto to do a go-kart is heightened ignorance.

Coming to the car-buying process, especially in India, 90% of the buyers go-alone for the looks, accessories, mileage, and the moolah they can save. For them, the car should behave fine irrespective of the abuse mettled out, should be maintenance friendly, should fetch good resale value. They don't care about structural rigidity or crumple zones, wheels on rails handling or automatic headlamps/wipers. As long as they end up in friendly territory, they are a happy lot.

The next 5%, still go for the above, but will do some research and are some what aware of the manufacturer and the model. For them, they will come across the difficulties, but as long as the manufacturer backs them with hassle free after sales service and a decent availability of parts, they will do fine.

The last 5%, will be those who are very well aware of their choices. Just like an arranged marriage, they know its not going to be smiles all time, but when they do smile, it will be an ear to ear grin. They know the cons of their machines, and yet, will love their machines completely and will maintain them like their children. For them, the car will not be just a tool, but family. And i'm sure, the Fiat owners or rather anyone who loves their machines will belong to this herd, because after all, its how you perceive things.

No machine is 100% complete or perfect, one can't expect a Fiat to behave like a Swift, because if it did, the benchmark qualities of their products would have been long gone. You are responsible for your own choices and decisions. I sincerely believe FCA is on the right track, and i do believe that they will make the market more competitive, just the way Ford did. The only thing that is indeed disappointing is, on the mad dash for FE, how far the auto makers going on sacrificing on the build and the structural rigidity of the car(one area where Fiat demands respect).

Note : The figures in my post are according to my perception, and you are absolutely free to agree/disagree. And should my words have hurt anyone's sentiments here, my sincerest apologies

Last edited by bblost : 17th November 2017 at 13:15. Reason: extra smiley removed.
ss11011988 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:00   #600

Question Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

On another note, came across this news in multiple sites stating that FCA India would be stopping the domestic sales of the Fiat brand to focus more on the Jeep brand :

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...nd-022592.html

http://businessworld.in/article/Fiat...6-2017-120095/

If this is indeed true, some of the existing Fiat Dealers(that too few) will be focusing on the sales and services of the Jeep brand only. This indeed puts an aspiring buyer or a Fiat owner in an even difficult spot, wouldn't it?

Any insights about these, TBHPians?
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote