Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th July 2006, 16:49   #46
Team-BHP Support

Sandeep, are you trying to say that Honda and Toyota are considered inferior in India? That too to Ford and Fiat!

ok...where's the punch line in that?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 17:03   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
The general perception that we the Bharatvasis nurture (that Hyundai/Honda are inferior brands with cheapo 'image' when compared to Skoda/Ford/Fiat) is nothing but our inferiority complex - baggage left by our colonial rulers.
We automatically assume that everything that originates from the west is automatically superior and belongs to a better class than the products originating from yellow or brownish countries.
The fanatical perfection that Mercedes achived during the 1960-80 period may have fuelled this line of thought. But at what cost? The same (or better) perfection Toyota has achived in the 80's (at one-third the cost of MB) is very well noted thru out the West.
But how many Indians will agree this?
Hey, U have me totally confused with your observation ....

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 17:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Sandeep, are you trying to say that Honda and Toyota are considered inferior in India? That too to Ford and Fiat!
Rtech,
Q1 - How many drinks you had today?
Q2 - How many threads you have locked so far,thus enforcing ceasefire between "European build quality fans" and other ordinary souls?

Just kidding...I think we are getting OT.

To summup, this is what I tried to tell:
- There is a certain kind of image issue exists in India.
- When we compare products of east/desi/west origin we auto-think the latter is the best.
( dont get it wrong, I am not asking anyone to compare the Camry with Fiesta)
thts all...
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 17:10   #49
Team-BHP Support

Are you saying I need to have a few drinks before I read your post to understand it? LoL!

Khaadu, drinks are on me!!

About the locked posts, maybe you could refresh my memory if you're keeping count. I'm not, but would love to know, and then give you the reason why any thread is locked.

But seriously, your first post did not make sense.

Quote:
- There is a certain kind of image issue exists in India.
Every brand in the world strives to create an image for themselves. Some are more successful than others. If a certain image exists, I'd call that great marketing. An image would not exist for no reason, unless you think all Indian's are fools.

Quote:
- When we compare products of east/desi/west origin we auto-think the latter is the best.
I would like to think we compare products, and not the country of origin. If x automobile is better than Y, then its better. Doesn't matter if X is made in Korea or Germany.

From your first post you basically implied that Fiat and Ford have a better image in India than Honda and Toyota. We're talking brands here, not specific models. And I'm sure not a single member here would agree with you on that.

Last edited by Rtech : 25th July 2006 at 17:17.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 17:36   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Khaadu, drinks are on me!!
I think I just found my next destination that I shud head to .... !!!

Sandeep, ur first post was utterly confusing !! I re read it a couple of times to see what I was missing but just ended up getting more confused ... though u answered a lot of my questions in ur very next post ... I need a few beers down inorder to understand ...

Will read it later at nite after returning from a party and see wat u trying to say ..

cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 20:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about other areas, but in Mumbai, the average car owner is too frustrated with his daily life to go out and grab the manufacturer/dealer by their, ahem, collars. Most of the Mumbaikars neither have time nor the patience to sue the car makers. Besides, who's gonna notice a few Skoda or Merc owners in angst when hundreds are being sold? At least that seems to be the mantra here.

This seems to be the only explanation that comes to mind while pondering over the thought that there were no lawsuits after the 26/7 deluge.

The dealers would never dare to piss off powerful people; it is only the average Joe that has to suffer. Has somebody ever noticed that VIP cars actually GET VIP treatment?

Whatever be the case, it's high time some ground rules are made. Perhaps the govt. should implement some sort of consumer court for automotive cases alone, covering all aspects including insurance. It should be mandatory for each case to be resolved in a time period not exceeding 3 months, else the decision should be in favour of the complainant.

Perhaps Sam bhai is right. I AM a crazy bhpian.
veyron1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 00:40   #52
BHPian

Default Hyundai service is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabcd
Guys,

An interesting thought- I have mentioned often that Hyundai is highly under-rate don this board. I am still to hear a horror story about a Hyundai dealer or a Hyundai car on this board.

Granted they don't have the glamor value that other names (read: Honda, Skoda) bring-but I've been bought two Hyundais and won't mind buying more whenever I need to upgrade.
I found the overall sales experience and A.S.S of Hyundai excellent since 1999. No cause for complaint. My buying experience of Santro1999 was better than that of another vehicles of diffferent brand in 2006.

subbarp
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 09:42   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
The dealers would never dare to piss off powerful people; it is only the average Joe that has to suffer. Has somebody ever noticed that VIP cars actually GET VIP treatment?

Whatever be the case, it's high time some ground rules are made. Perhaps the govt. should implement some sort of consumer court for automotive cases alone, covering all aspects including insurance. It should be mandatory for each case to be resolved in a time period not exceeding 3 months, else the decision should be in favour of the complainant.
I had similar experience with my TVS Spectra. Spare parts were not available. I asked for an exchange with a new TVS bike... they offered Rs.1,500 for my Rs.34,000 scooter.
I bought a Baja Pulsar who were ready to offer Rs.6,500 for my Spectra. Made me feel Bajaj value a TVS more than the TVS people value their own bikes.
I complained to TVS, they made a big show of attending to my complaint. Final outcome. The TVS Spectra is still in my garage unused one year later.
vinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 08:00   #54
BHPian

Seems like more than the dealer, it about the after sales service part.

As far as I have gone through the entire thread one thing remains a fact that when some one invests such huge money on some products it is the responsiblity of the company/manufactures that they know that who there customer are. Coz defnitely people who are investing around 17L on a car is no odinary guy.

These people can defnitely infuence the market and can market the product in a better way than the company can, I mean word of mouth. Few bad experiences like this will put a bad impression on the product and will not preffer to go for the product. All these days I was a huge fan of Skoda and now looking at these kinda of situation I feel that the its defnitely not worth it.
Ironmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 09:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

But why hold a dharna? Can't they just take Skoda to court?

I wonder whats next, Dandi-March to the Czech Republic maybe.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Skoda cars good but not the dealers and spare parts and maintenance nightmare in most of the cases, I have read few good stories about skoda but overall its tregedy.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 19:26   #57

Default Any updates ?

hey guys sorry to dig up an old therad ... I am planning to buy a Laura soon but after reading this i dont know what to do ???

Any updates ?

thanx
atul .
atul_chabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 00:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
No excuse for the airbag not opening up!!!! We need to then have a warning that unless there is a head-on collision, the airbags will not engage.. What about the side airbags? It was not that the laura has only two (assuming that this was a laura - having spent 17L )
very true,anybody who shells out 17 Lacs deserves the promised safety.
if somebody is willing to give his hard earned money in return for his family's safety,then there are no excuses for any malfunction in safety equipment
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 02:05   #59
BHPian

I don't understand why the motives of the protesters are being doubted, what other reason could they have to take this step apart from frustration with Skoda and their dealership, presumably they would have escalated their issues thorough normal channels before taking this drastic step.

Surely they have a right to protest, maybe this has happened in other parts of the country but the customers have been indifferent or found solutions in other ways. Whatever their issues I am glad they are protesting if they feel they are being wronged, more of us should do that.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 11:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think the owners are right about this Dharna. It seems it is the only thing we Indians sit up and notice. When we can have a Dharna on the slightest pretext where the issue is not even remotely related to the people sitting on one , I think the owners are absolutely right to sit in when they have paid >17L to own these wheels.
Well understanding the working of an airbag doesnt help you much in case of an accident.....airbags are designed to protect and that is what they should do. Its for the manufacturer to understand it better and in case his airbags are less educated he should say so in the manual..
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote