Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd September 2016, 14:01   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Timing chain might be costlier than belt on part price, but for an average life time of a card, the timing chain always would be lot cheaper as in most cases, it does not require a replacement at all whereas the belt certainly needs a replacement on certain intervals
It is not true in case of MJD engines at least. FIAT recommends 60k KMS replacement for timing chain and Maruti recommends change somewhere near 100,000 KMS or when it starts making noise.

I sold my SX4 petrol around 1.4 lakh kms but timing chain was not touched.

For MJD/DDIS it cost around 14,000 INR to replace timing chain which makes it very expensive compared to timing belts.
S5157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
It is not true in case of MJD engines at least. FIAT recommends 60k KMS replacement for timing chain and Maruti recommends change somewhere near 100,000 KMS or when it starts making noise.

I sold my SX4 petrol around 1.4 lakh kms but timing chain was not touched.

For MJD/DDIS it cost around 14,000 INR to replace timing chain which makes it very expensive compared to timing belts.
Are you sure that this is mentioned in the user manual of the Maruti ? Because, my memory says it's written as lifetime for Swift DDiS.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Are you sure that this is mentioned in the user manual of the Maruti ? Because, my memory says it's written as lifetime for Swift DDiS.
Hello Amalji

It might be written lifetime but from practical point of view I have seen timing chain getting replaced in many swift/SX4 DDIS engines at MASS. On enquring I was told that around 100,000 KMS timing chain assembly starts making noise and solution is replacement.

For FIAT MJD, I believe it is mentioned in maintenance schedule to replace at 60K.
S5157 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 13:20   #34
BHPian

Can anyone help me with the price associated with the front Disc Rotors of Ford Classic??
I think brake pads also need to be replaced if we change the Rotors if I'm right, please hel me with the expense for all.
Bibin is offline   Reply With Quote