Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st August 2014, 15:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

Guys we all have some or the other way become armchair critics. Thats what I feel. There has to be a start somewhere. Atleast they are thinking of addressing the problems and coming out with solutions. The solutions might work or not, thats a different thing. There is no magic going to happen. So there is no single solution which will address all the issues.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 15:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Is it so? But petrol pumps provide metal cans for you if you want to buy petrol/diesel.
There is a petrol pump close to my home where they have a big display board on which it is written that they do not sell fuel to those who ask for it in cans. However, it is never a rare sight to find them filling fuel in cans & even bisleri bottles. I am aware that ordinary cans & bottles are not certified for carrying or storing fuel. But there is another thread evidencing my point: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ran-out-4.html (Denied petrol in bottle after my car ran out.)
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 15:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

Remembered an incident in my Bangalore days when I was car pooling with a colleague. We were in his Maruti 800 and stopped to fill fuel. Since his PUC was expired he decided to get the certification done at the same pump.

The guy took the reading and pointed out that it was outside of the limit. Then he told my friend quietly "Don't worry saar" and left the reading column blank. The implication was clear- you write whatever you want there, not my problem!

As if that wasn't bad enough, after we'd driven off I asked my friend what he intends to do about the problem? He turns to me blankly and says, "What problem? I have the certificate, na?"

I sincerely hope that COx/NOx/SOx monster is off the street by now
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

The cans and the bottle rule is still enforced at some of the petrol pumps i go to and have been denied myself as well a few times but i am sure these pumps are in the minority.

I do not understand why a petrol pump needs to do the job of the traffic police and secondly how many petrol pump owners are going to turn away people honestly - at the end of the day they will loose business. Lastly how does the government know it is being enforced , what will be the liaility of the petrol pump owner in case he gives it to someone without checking for the PUC ? Will the government do surprise checks?

Silly rule and can create unnecessary work.

Simpler solution - raise fine to 5000 for non active PUC , take out an AD across all the papers and run a special drive , as creatures of habit many will go get new PUC certificates.

Ofcourse, this will still not stop the sale of fake PUC certificates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
There is another regulation which says that one cannot buy petrol or diesel in cans. However, that is far from reality. All I can say, the more laws are written, the more criminals are produced!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:27   #20
BANNED

Another idiotic & pointless diktat by this Govt.

Just last week I got a PUC for my 16 year old Fiat Uno & the guy didnt even bother to take readings. He just copied my expired PUC & gave me a new one.

PUC is just a money making racket where contracts are given to mafia of traffic police heads & RTOs.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The guy took the reading and pointed out that it was outside of the limit. Then he told my friend quietly "Don't worry saar" and left the reading column blank. The implication was clear- you write whatever you want there, not my problem!
Until recently, here at Ranchi, one could have PUC without your vehicle at inspection center. Just read out your reg. no. and the PUC will be ready within seconds! That express-no frills service has been pulled-out since last month.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Really feel sad to see such people making a mockery of the law. Honestly till date I have got PUC issued at 3 cities: Bangalore, Delhi and Vadodara. And at all 3 places they atleast checked the levels.

I know I am going to sound very philosophical here but shouldn't we too try and change the way things are happening? The PUC issuing guy is not doing his job and doesn't understand the implications. But by that even we are affected because at the end of the day we are all breathing in the same air. So can't we file a complain against such facilities where they didn't even require you to get your car and checked the pollution level?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:35   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

Folks,
This PUC is a farce. I used to adhere strictly to this PUC checking every 6 months, bust as some one pointed out, I feel bad to see the six-seaters, PMC buses & Ricks spewing smoke.

The final straw came when my neighbour who owns 6 vehicles (3 Cars + 3 Bikes), walked out to the petrol pump and returned with 2 sets of PUC certificates (6 months + 6 months) for all of his vehicles.

I'm sure soon this yellow/green label stickers will be available in ABC chowk where one can buy in bulk and copy the readings.

Yippie ka yay. Problem solved.
kutoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

This will go nowhere slowly.
The point is, there's more money to be made from petrol/diesel than a PUC per minute of service.
Beat that.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:57   #25
BHPian

There is a larger issue at hand. I am a frequent traveler of Delhi/Noida/Gurgaon. The PUC issue is rather unsettling. The PUC certificate obtained in Delhi (for the standard 6 months) is valid in UP(Noida) for only 2/3 months. Whereas if a certificate is issued in Noida, It is valid there for 6 months and only for 2 in Delhi. Another rather annoying issue, most Delhi pumos refuse to provide Diesel PUC.
shivs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:19   #26
BHPian

You're expecting a poorly paid, lowly Petrol pump attendant to be responsible for cleaning up Delhi's air? What about the police, the highly paid & corrupt pollution control department?

Knowing the disdain average motorist shows towards pump attendants, I wouldn't be surprised to read stories about how some 'Jaanta Hai Main Kaun Noon?' dude resorting to violence.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Any rule/law which is at the discretion of a human being has ample chance of manipulation. The discretion in this case being seeing the PUC and reserving the right to dispense fuel.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:01   #28
BHPian

Implementing any law in our "democracy" is a pain. There will be 98% of "aam admi" benefiting from it and remaining percentage of evil minds which are geared up to do anything to not let it happen the way it was supposed to be because that mindless minority might be the ones at loss. Whatever...

But I feel this proposal, this change is in the right direction. It has to start somewhere. Hope it's the first step of a change for the better.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Is this a gimmick designed to satisfy some UN official counting carbon footprint?
A ploy to get India brownie points, so that the world overlooks our contribution to the death of the ozone layer?
There's absolutely no sense in this measure. If this is the best the sarkar can do for the environment ,after 100 days in power, I shudder to think what is in our lot for the rest 1725!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:28   #30
BHPian

While I applaud this intention, I hope the implementation is genuine, we know how an extra 100 rupee can bend rules in this "jugaad" and "jhol" driven India.
Come to think of it, if applied strictly and not tampered with, this should turn to be a effective exercise, that is a single point and easy check.

How the underpaid bunk employee will hold his ground and deny tanking a politically connected gun wielding black Scorpio owner in Delhi (termed so only for reference), needs to be seen.
And what about the 24 hour pumps, so will they have PUC's issued in the nights as well, I am asking this as most PUC centers do not operate in the night.

I think we Indians lack self discipline in most areas (me including) and always look for a alternate and easy way out (generalized for conveying the thought, of course there are many Indians who religiously follow rules). Instead of following a rule and being happy that we did our duty, we are worried about whether our neighbor followed it and if he broke the rule then we decide that it is not worth following it anyways, we want to hold on to our bragging rights too.

Reminds me of the popular SMS joke, not typing the joke here, just conveying a gist:
In India if one faces power outage at home, unlike other countries we do not check the power box first, the first thing we check is whether the neighbors house has lights "on" or "off", and if "off" that satisfies us, we patiently wait for power supply.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 22nd August 2014 at 21:50.
s_pphilip is offline   Reply With Quote