Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st August 2014, 10:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

The Delhi goverment has come up with this new proposal to keep a check on vehicular pollution within the city whereby any motorist has to present his PUC certificate for verification at the fuel bunk in order to buy any amount of fuel from the bunk. Since most fuel bunks are also equipped with PUC issuing equipment, the motorist found in violation of the law would be required to first get a valid PUC issues and then buy the fuel.

I feel it is quite an interesting and innovative method if applied strictly. The problem is that how sincerely would the fuel station attendant be able to enforce this kind of law specially since it all add up time to there ability to service as many vehicles as possible in a span of time. On the other hand they might be motivated as a non-valid PUC will force the motorist to get a fresh one issued thereby raising there revenue, if they have a testing facility present in the premises.

Source: http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...n-delhi-651166
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:22   #2
BHPian

Default re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Delhi goverment has come up with this new proposal to keep a check on vehicular pollution within the city whereby any motorist has to present his PUC certificate for verification at the fuel bunk in order to buy any amount of fuel from the bunk. Since most fuel bunks are also equipped with PUC issuing equipment, the motorist found in violation of the law would be required to first get a valid PUC issues and then buy the fuel.

I feel it is quite an interesting and innovative method if applied strictly. The problem is that how sincerely would the fuel station attendant be able to enforce this kind of law specially since it all add up time to there ability to service as many vehicles as possible in a span of time. On the other hand they might be motivated as a non-valid PUC will force the motorist to get a fresh one issued thereby raising there revenue, if they have a testing facility present in the premises.

Source: http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...n-delhi-651166
I think this regulation has was ratified since quite some time back. In fact petrol pumps in Delhi and Mumbai have been displaying the boards suggesting the same ever since. But as you said, I am yet to come across a single pump where it is enforced. What is more difficult to understand is once in a while you come across these vehicles (commercial or even personal) which exhaust so much smoke that you know that the vehicles are simple unfit to be on the road. But, I wonder if they are hauled up by cops or not.
neelchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:23   #3
BHPian

Don't we all know how easily PUC can be obtained from that guy sitting in roadside Omni ?
Something he does not even bother to check anything and just notes the vehicle number and gives the PUC.
raksrules is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Delhi government has come up with this new proposal to keep a check on vehicular pollution within the city whereby any motorist has to present his PUC certificate for verification at the fuel bunk in order to buy any amount of fuel from the bunk. Since most fuel bunks are also equipped with PUC issuing equipment, the motorist found in violation of the law would be required to first get a valid PUC issues and then buy the fuel.
Mohit Bhai, this is one really good step indeed. Not only the expired PUCs can be renewed but as we know that there are many cabs/ cars who are not even fit to be driven on road and emit smoke like a chimney so with this step even that problem can be solved by refraining them from being driven on-road. This actually requires strict implementation. I am sure 2 wheelers in our Noida, Delhi and cabs in Gurgaon will be the most affected of the lot.

Just checked yesterday, my cars have valid PUCs.

Really good piece of info.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Another feather in the hat for an inept, unexposed to reality, system.
Its like walking into a Potato patch, pounding the ground with loads of tomato growing nutrients, and saying we're fixing the banana problem.

Why not implement a MOT system? Why dont you make sure that the Physically evident polluters one sees ON THE ROAD are taken care off?

You know whats going to happen. Its not going to be implemented by bunk owners, and attendants. If they turn away anybody, theyre losing paychecks. So the govt will decide to put uniformed manpower at the bunks, who will be lining up for miles to get the position, fo reasons self evident.
mayankk is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:35   #6
BHPian

I don't understand how these people come up with such funny laws. Another day, another law for some to misuse and for some to make money. We need rationalization of laws, not new laws.
blacksport is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that how sincerely would the fuel station attendant be able to enforce this kind of law specially since it all add up time to there ability to service as many vehicles as possible in a span of time.
It will surely affect there ability to service faster since they just don't have to verify the certificate but convince the customer as well.

Talking about effectiveness of this, how it can be assumed that a vehicle which has obtained the certificate few months back is still in good condition and non polluting?

More effective way to keep pollution under control would be a random check of vehicles (actual pollution level, not the certificate) on the road and hefty 'on the spot' fine for non compliance.
Hrishi_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

The only effect it will have that you will have to pay extra 100rs to get the PUC certification. Contrary to what many think, keeping a PUC certificate in your vehicle does not lower pollution. It does not have any magical properties which will suck pollutants.
tsk1979 is offline   (25) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 10:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

There is another regulation which says that one cannot buy petrol or diesel in cans. However, that is far from reality. All I can say, the more laws are written, the more criminals are produced!
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:03   #10
BHPian

These laws can't be enforced unless general public are aware of their duties. Duplicate certificates can easily be obtained if not in proper cities then in rural or suburban areas. General awareness is more important than law enforcements.

Btw, I wonder if all the Government buses plying in the city that pollute like anything ever had a valid PUC at all.
Carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
These laws can't be enforced unless general public are aware of their duties. Duplicate certificates can easily be obtained if not in proper cities then in rural or suburban areas. General awareness is more important than law enforcements.

Btw, I wonder if all the Government buses plying in the city that pollute like anything ever had a valid PUC at all.

Government has done a brilliant job in Mumbai and Delhi in that regard. All govt buses are 100% green i.e. gas operated.
Kolkata under didi is a different ball game altogether. I wish my Calcutta gets as smart and intelligent a leadership as are many of the citizens in the place.
neelchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 13:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The only effect it will have that you will have to pay extra 100rs to get the PUC certification. Contrary to what many think, keeping a PUC certificate in your vehicle does not lower pollution. It does not have any magical properties which will suck pollutants.
I totally agree with tsk1979, its another method to make money and harass Common man. There are ample of examples like these CNG Hydro test, Compliance plate, High Security number plates. ALL BS

I spent two days to get High Security number plate for my car and now I see nobody is bothered.

Trust me, No fuel pump owner would turn away their customer's for no having PUC.
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 14:23   #13

The question is how many vehicles are denied the PUC certificate saying that they pollute more than the stipulated norms?

I earlier used to get PUC certificate every 6 months without fail. But whenever I saw 6-seater vehicles and trucks, citybuses emitting thick black smoke my blood would start boiling. I felt like a stupid person doing the PUC exercise every 6 months, and stopped doing that at one point.
kookaburra is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 15:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
There is another regulation which says that one cannot buy petrol or diesel in cans. However, that is far from reality. All I can say, the more laws are written, the more criminals are produced!
Is it so? But petrol pumps provide metal cans for you if you want to buy petrol/diesel.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 15:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

Quote:
Since most fuel bunks are also equipped with PUC issuing equipment, the motorist found in violation of the law would be required to first get a valid PUC issues and then buy the fuel.
I would say this is one more half hearted attempt by the authorities to tackle the pollution issue. There are so many ifs and buts to the implementation. The authorities should seriously look into outsourcing the PUC issue to a third party so that the issuing of certificate for an additional sum would be avoided. Bunks should be totaly disbarred from keeping PUC equipment. Atleast the PUC issued would be genuinely valid. Seeing smoke emitting vehicles onroad is a sure downer for the person who genuinely is interested in getting the PUC done, authorities must seize such vehicles when found on road or on complaints. For startes govt can make sincere efforts in ensuring that the fuel being sold in unadultered with frequent inspections for quality. This is like opening a Pandora's box.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote