Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st August 2014, 15:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Hyundai plans to enter compact SUV, MPV segments in India

South Korean carmaker, Hyundai has revealed that it is planning to enter the Compact SUV and multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) segments in India. While there is no official word, it is rumoured that the company will launch a compact SUV sometime next year.

The compact SUV segment has been growing at a fast pace with players like Ford and Renault leading the way. Additionally, Mahindra has been readying a new vehicle and Maruti, Honda, Tata and Volkswagen are expected to jump into the fray as well. Hyundai will not want to be left behind.

The MPV segment has also seen good growth. With Hyundai's competitors, Maruti and Honda doing well with the Ertiga and recently launched Honda Mobilio respectively, it is obvious that it's only a matter of time before the Korean manufacturer enters the segment. Nissan's budget brand, Datsun is also gearing up to launch the GO+, which will make the competition even stiffer.

In the last two years, Hyundai has launched five new models, including the Elantra, Grand i10 Grand Santa Fe, Xcent and Elite i20. The company's market share has grown from 20.4% in the period January - July 2013 to 21.6% for the same period in 2014.

Source: Economic Times
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:24   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai plans to enter compact SUV, MPV segments in India

Most probably they are going to launch ix25 next year. Have seen it in flesh during my visit to Norway. It is 5 seater and looked gorgeous.
Probably they will tweak it a little and sell it in India. I am planning to wait for it for my next upgrade.
athanedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Will the compact SUV be Hyundai ix 25? If yes, thats great news as it should be the most premium among the compact SUVs available / to be available here.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I happened to drive ix25 while i was in south africa and i must say, i didnt like the drive,especially the steering feedback. Totally vague and no feel at all. Lacked power too. Hope they would tune it before launching it here.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess they are looking at both the compact and sub-compact (under 4 meter here) space. Great news! Mini SUVs kind of make sense in our conditions and just like the competition in the small sedan segment, I think 2015/16 will see loads of competition in the compact/sub-compact SUV segments.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I happened to drive ix25 while i was in south africa and i must say, i didnt like the drive,especially the steering feedback. Totally vague and no feel at all. Lacked power too. Hope they would tune it before launching it here.
I thought ix25 is a new model from Hyundai and the global launch is going to happen in China in Oct this year.

Are you referring to same ix25 which is being discussed in following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...surface-6.html (Possible 2015 Hyundai Compact SUV spyshots surface)
Simhi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:47   #7
BHPian

The ix25 would be a good product for our market and being a Hyundai product I'm sure it will sell in good numbers as well. But the looks could have been better if it was a bit more car like for example the Nissan Qashqai rather than this taller stance which usually tends to have significant body roll.
Old 21st August 2014, 23:35   #8
BHPian

ix25 is indeed awesome - Hyundai has come such a long way in their designs!! Given Hyundai's value proposition, many takers for sure given the timing as well!! With the diesel motor being developed in India now, they wont have sourcing issues (to their credit, they have never had!)..

Probably Offtopic -- The Govt should encourage new duty structure for family oriented compact MUVs (& SUVs as well if I dare add). Would be nice to appreciate making the world a bit more efficient!
Old 21st August 2014, 23:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just now in scoop section of Autocar show Hormazd Sorabjee revealed that the CUV will be based on ix25 modified (rugged)exclusively for Indian market and will get same 1.6 120hp motor from Verna. Price expecting 15 to 16 lakhs
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 00:06   #10
e46
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Hyundai plans to enter compact SUV, MPV segments in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Just now in scoop section of Autocar show Hormazd Sorabjee revealed that the CUV will be based on ix25 modified (rugged)exclusively for Indian market and will get same 1.6 120hp motor from Verna. Price expecting 15 to 16 lakhs
If the tweet is to be believed, then i must say HMIL is getting too complacent and ambitious. It should be priced 9 lacs max, ex showroom, base model.

Abhishek
Old 22nd August 2014, 04:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
That's too expensive.

It will just make the ecosport and duster look even more VFM. Are they competing with the storme or the ecosport?

The CUV has to be an at-par priced or value priced (slightly higher price but much more goodies, like the Grand i10 which is a total winner).
Old 22nd August 2014, 06:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
If the tweet is to be believed, then i must say HMIL is getting too complacent and ambitious. It should be priced 9 lacs max, ex showroom, base model.

Abhishek
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's too expensive.

It will just make the ecosport and duster look even more VFM. Are they competing with the storme or the ecosport?

The CUV has to be an at-par priced or value priced (slightly higher price but much more goodies, like the Grand i10 which is a total winner).
I agree with you. 15 to 16 lacs for an Ecosport rival is way too expensive. I sure hope they get their pricing spot on, else it will be a familar old story of a decent product bombing because of faulty pricing.
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:31   #13
BHPian

15-16L - I can bet Hyundai wont make that mistake. They have learnt lessons from Getz - what a fine hatch it was!

HMIL will start with a lower price than Ecosport and have some 25 variants ranging from 7L all the way upto 14L (6 airbags, sunroof, AVN, etc).
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:42   #14
BHPian

There is no way Hyundai can price it under 12 L. Since it is going to be more than 4m in length, it would fall in the 24% excise bracket. Add to it VAT ranging from 13-15 %, the base price of the car before all taxes would be just around 8 Lakhs.

Base price of car : 8,00,000
Excise duty @ 24% : 1,92,000
VAT @ 14% (not sure if they calculate on base+ excise or just base, I calculated on base): 1,12,000
VAT @ 14% on base+ excise: 1,40,000

Ex-Showroom: 11,04,000 - 11,40,000

The specs show that it is a bigger car than ecosport and has a bigger engine than ecosport. It has to compete in the duster/terrano segment
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:45   #15
BHPian

Guys, got a picture of the IX 25 on a website,probably the compact SUV that will be launched in 2015.

Looks like the China Auto show. Though it says IX 25 concept,don't think Hyundai will tone down the design for production. Probably can expect smaller wheels and cheaper alloys.

Hyundai plans to enter compact SUV, MPV segments in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408677066.241501.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Closed Thread