Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2014, 13:01   #91
BHPian

Default Re: August 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Plus experiences like having to keep the car with the dealer for a week for lack of spares, unscrupulous dealers overcharging and cheating all led to an unsatisfactory experience. Made me swear never to buy a Chevy again.
That is a sad story behind most of the car dealers (not all for sure), and is not dependant on the brand they represent. be it Chevrolet, Skoda, VW, Honda, Maruti, Hyundai or even the Luxury brands, the forum is replete with stories of overcharging and unscrupulous dealers. They all will try and fleece you and make you go for stuff you dont require even if they get a whiff that you be able to cough up the extra dough.

Your car requiring a clutch assembly change at 40k km is a rather short period for the clutch to last, but it isn't unheard of. Can be based on individual usage pattern also. e.g. my optra has run for 215000 km and is still running with the original clutch, and the engine has been untouched. The major parts replaced in almost 10 years of usage are the front struts twice, rear struts once, front suspension components once and the exhaust pipe. i can safely say that it has been a very trouble free ownership experience.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
I would buy a Maruti for peace of mind in terms of after sales and wide network of service stations they have. No company has been able to match them. But this is a result of a presence of more than 3 decades. A persistent one i'd say. But when it comes to the core product they are selling, i am left disappointed.

I was looking out for a hatch under 6 lac OTR. I liked the swift vxi. But little research on the brakes on the VXI and LXI, the thinner window glass panes, the tiny boot, defogger only in the ZXI (forget the rear wipers), super skinny tyres, no audio are all one hell of a business strategy. The ZXI comes close to a lac more than the VXI. The SA himself admitted that the LXI and VXI had brake problems earlier and now it is all sorted out. Come on the car was selling more than 10k a month with brake problems pre 2014/2013 period. I say that the business strategy should be present, but not overshadowing the quality(brakes,glass window panes) in the products. The time will come when products should be given more importance than making money per se. Let down i am !

And a couple of years back or more ,these guys didnt even have Swift ZDI, to avoid the overshadowing of the Dzire LDI or whatever and yet they sell like never before.

Its not that we should be proud that Maruti is having 50% share. I guess they should be. You know very well what emotions we should be having for this great feat since we still keep falling for their gimmicks !
Your summary of Maruti is bang on! The common man doesnt know what he is buying into, with the lower variants. One doesnt expect this from a leader, let alone one with 50% market share! Thats where I felt Hyundai offers the best value proposition. The A$$ is not cheap purely from the rupees paid, but the whole package is true VFM. The other manufactures seem to be copying Maruti - Mobilio seems more like a Maruti with the H badge! I think Hyundai will win this over time. They got Maruti's secret resipe and now have 4 successful hatches (unlike just 1 succesful one in the past). With compact SUV & MUV, they might be looking to expand their market share - i am betting next Aug market share would look like--
MSIL - 40%
Hyundai - 22%
Honda - 15%
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 16:53   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Your summary of Maruti is bang on! The common man doesnt know what he is buying into, with the lower variants. One doesnt expect this from a leader, let alone one with 50% market share! Thats where I felt Hyundai offers the best value proposition. The A$$ is not cheap purely from the rupees paid, but the whole package is true VFM. The other manufactures seem to be copying Maruti - Mobilio seems more like a Maruti with the H badge! I think Hyundai will win this over time. They got Maruti's secret resipe and now have 4 successful hatches (unlike just 1 succesful one in the past). With compact SUV & MUV, they might be looking to expand their market share - i am betting next Aug market share would look like--
MSIL - 40%
Hyundai - 22%
Honda - 15%
First of all a big thanks for agreeing with me. You might have seen, many didn't agree to the same. Secondly, players like Hyundai, Honda to benchmark with the top player are following the same path, with the sub 4 meter sedan. Only betterment is Hyundai and Honda are mariginally better in treading the same path though. Even grand i 10 didnt come with defogger in any of the variants except for the top most variant. Brio had the same problem, but with time they included the defogger after the customer feedback. My Punto Dynamic MJD had a defogger and a rear wiper and FIAT gets bashed all the time. !

If there is anyone to blame, it is us, it is always us Indians !
Old 18th September 2014, 16:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

MSIL - 40%
Hyundai - 22%
Honda - 15%
Completely agree. Hyundai has changed the perception that quality products are expensive. They are manufacturing cars with excellent exterior and interior finish without compromising on safety or features. Cant comment on their A.S.S as I haven't own one but I admire the way they make their cars.

Maruti will stay no.1 for a long long time. Most of their customers are common man who doesn't see or understand the depth of detailed analysis people like us do while buying a car. For them important criteria are price, mileage and good service which Maruti provides. I remember when my friend bought Swift 4 years back. He was so excited and was going Gaga over it. I sat in it and I was like except for power windows what other features does it have? It was bare bone. Glad to see they changed that and with Ciaz now Maruti is providing segment best features too.
Old 18th September 2014, 18:45   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I remember when my friend bought Swift 4 years back. He was so excited and was going Gaga over it. I sat in it and I was like except for power windows what other features does it have? It was bare bone.
There should be some limit to the one-sided comments too, I guess. In India, if you buy a basic version of a budget hatch, you will get the bare basic features only.

A Swift LXi offers just the basic things like power steering, AC etc. OK. What extra features do the basic model Brio offers? Atleast, Swift has the best in class interior design. And Brio, with that ugly spartan interiors! Even Ambassador and Gypsy has better interiors, IMO.

With every launch, Maruti and Hyundai are going up the quality level, and with every launch, Honda is coming down and down in the quality levels.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th September 2014 at 18:58.
romeomidhun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 20:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

There should be some limit to the one-sided comments too, I guess. In India, if you buy a basic version of a budget hatch, you will get the bare basic features only.

A Swift LXi offers just the basic things like power steering, AC etc. OK. What extra features do the basic model Brio offers? Atleast, Swift has the best in class interior design. And Brio, with that ugly spartan interiors! Even Ambassador and Gypsy has better interiors, IMO.

With every launch, Maruti and Hyundai are going up the quality level, and with every launch, Honda is coming down and down in the quality levels.
How is that a one sided comment? His was a VDI. Don't think that was a base variant but the top one in diesel. And Swift with best class interior design.. You must be kidding. I20 since it's launch has been the best in regards to interiors. Ya, if you will say most fun to drive I will pick Swift in a heartbeat. Don't jump the gun just cos you want to. I said Maruti is improving but the fact remains the cars it used to provide were bare Bones in their initial phase. Only after competition from i20, Polo etc they decided to give better interiors via their face lifts. Did I mentioned what Brio is or not? The topic was about Maruti and Hyundai and not Honda. Kindly, don't talk like a fanboy cos I don't own a Hyundai and my post was all praise for them and Maruti for their great effort in Ciaz.

Last edited by harry10 : 18th September 2014 at 20:31.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 20:38   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
My Punto Dynamic MJD had a defogger and a rear wiper and FIAT gets bashed all the time. !

If there is anyone to blame, it is us, it is always us Indians !
You are completely wrong if think that Punto gets bashing because of the product. My friends love their Puntos till the time they are about to make a schedule visit to the service centre. The car always spends more days in garage than required due to lack of availability of spare parts and due to lack of interest in the staff to help them out. One of them even said that they were better off when the service was handled by TATA. His frustration has grown after Fiat took over. He love his car but will never turn towards a Fiat product ever again.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 20:41   #98
BHPian

The way Maruti offers barebones version is too much. I bought a RITZ VDI only because LDI does not offer even power windows even in the front which every other manufacturer gives in the base model. This way I had to shell out 35,000 more in 2012 which I would not have spent otherwise
Old 18th September 2014, 22:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
The way Maruti offers barebones version is too much. I bought a RITZ VDI only because LDI does not offer even power windows even in the front which every other manufacturer gives in the base model. This way I had to shell out 35,000 more in 2012 which I would not have spent otherwise
Cars today offer a lot for the price we pay. It is a testimony to the engineering and lean manufacturing ingenuity of the OEMs who design and build cars. Given below are the prices I bought cars at with the year of purchase and what those figures mean in today's rupees after adjusting for inflation

1985 Maruti 800 Rs 56,000 -- Today = ~Rs 500,000
[no power windows, no air con, no music system or radio, no seat height adjustment, no steering wheel adjustment, no fog lamps, no hub caps, no leather seats, no central locking and what not]

1992 Premier Padmini Rs 200,000 -- Today = ~ Rs 700,000
[no power windows, no air con, no music system or radio, no seat height adjustment, no steering wheel adjustment, no fog lamps, no hub caps, no leather seats, no central locking, no seat belts, and of course the poor poor build quality Premier was known for]

Compare this with all the features and much superior finish we get in cars today at these price points. The automobile industry deserves a pat in my opinion. Of course some of this lowering of price in effective terms is a function of lower excise duties today compared with 25 years ago but even after that we get a lot more for each lakh of rupees invested.

Hope you enjoy this perspective from the medium term past. We are happily spoilt for choice today. Thank you for reading - V.Narayan
V.Narayan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 22:12   #100

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2014 at 09:23.
ronnie1985 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st October 2014, 19:29   #101
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

These are the total domestic car sales in the month of September 2014 for some manufacturers (September 2013 numbers in parenthesis):

Maruti Suzuki - 99,290 (90,399)

Hyundai - 35,041 (30,601)

Mahindra - 19,893 (18,916)

Honda - 15,015 (10,354)

Toyota - 12,552 (12,015)

Tata - 11,931 (12,839)

Ford - 6,786 (10,640)

Chevrolet - 4,413 (7,048)

Nissan* - 4,145 (2,527)

* - Nissan's numbers include those of Datsun, as the breakup is not available yet.

indicates an increase and indicates a decrease in sales, when compared to sales in the same month last year.

-------

Just when one thought Honda had made the third position on the podium its own, it has been displaced by Mahindra this month.

Tata is still in sixth position, but it is breathing down the neck of Toyota as only 600 odd units separate the two.

This intense rivalry for the 3rd & 6th positions between between the Japanese and Indian companies would be worth watching over the next few months.

Last edited by RSR : 1st October 2014 at 19:56.
RSR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 19:40   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks RSR for those figures.

Chevrolet will have to close shop if they continue at this rate. In this festive season, when every other company is either safeguarding its turf or attacking others, Chevy is merrily going down!! I am not counting in Ford since I consider it to be an arrogant & greedy company- they had potential in form of Ecosport, but they chose to focus on the more profitable export way.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 23:08   #103
BHPian

Honda

Model wise sales break-up for September 2014
Brio 1,152
Amaze 3,848
Mobilio 5,329
City 4,600
CR-V 86
Domestic Total 15, 015
Exports 380
Grand Total 15, 395

City production has restarted.The Honda website states that in coming months they will be able to ensure better availability and timely deliveries to fulfill the huge demand.

Surprising to note that Mobilio was the top performer for Honda last month.

Last edited by Mevtec : 1st October 2014 at 23:14.
Mevtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:21   #104
BHPian

Was expecting better nos from Tata looking at the buzz around Zest.

Elite i20 has done excellent at 8902 nos. Source: ET
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:10   #105
i10
BHPian

Amaze's sales reflect confusion and inability to manage demand on Honda's part. One month they hit 9K, next month they are at 4K, the month after that they go up again.

The Elite i20 is off to a great start, but how it sustains would be interesting to see. Hyundai for sure would want Xcent and Grand i10 to clock MUCH more than they have been doing off late, particularly the Xcent.

Last edited by i10 : 2nd October 2014 at 10:13.
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread