Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th September 2014, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Default Minda Automotive component unit inside Tihar Jail!

For the first time in the history of Indian automotive industry, a manufacturing unit has been set up inside a jail premises where work will be carried out by prison inmates.

The Director General of Delhi prisons, Alok Verma, on Friday inaugurated the small scale automotive workshop in Jail number 2 of Tihar, under a public-private partnership providing training and employment opportunities for the inmates. The manufacturing unit has been set up by Minda Furukawa Electric Pvt. Ltd (MFE), a joint venture company between Spark Minda, Ashok Minda Group of India and Furukawa of Japan.

The company develops and produces the entire range of wiring harness for four wheelers, and components related to wiring harness. "The inmates will profit in both long term and short term working here. They will be paid wages and will gain work experience which will be useful for them to rehabilitate themselves after completing their terms here," Delhi prisons DIG and PRO Mukesh Prasad said.

The inmates working here will be supervised by professionals and will earn more wages in comparison to other inmates working in the jail. "We are hopeful of making the inmates able to earn their living once they are out of jail by gaining technical experience," Prasad said.

The venture was inaugurated in the presence of Delhi prisons DG, DIG, Chairperson of Spark Munda, Sarika Minda, President of MFE, A Maenishi and other senior officials. Chief Marketing Officer of the Spark Minda Group said, "This initiative will certainly produce a sustainable collaborative social business model, which will benefit the convicts of Tihar Jail, their families and victims also."

"We are certainly exploring such avenues at other places also. The investments at Tihar includes machinery, raw material and other quality systems and procedures as laid down per policy and the facility will be run by jail convicts under the supervision of MFE. In this manufacturing unit, Wire Harness product, a key automotive component, will be manufactured by the Jail convicts," he said. Initially 30 to 35 inmates are working on this joint project which is likely to be increased in future, Prasad said.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/automotiv...626-3-244.html

http://minda.co.in/minda/announcements.aspx

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th September 2014 at 07:34.
rubicon is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 16:24   #2
BHPian

Default re: Minda Automotive component unit inside Tihar Jail!

GREAT !!

Never heard of any Automobile Supplier setting up an industry as this one. Good choice of product as Wiring Harness comparatively have a simple manufacturing process and no special tools/machines are required. Good opportunity for the Jail inmates to earn a living and may be even get a job after coming out reformed. Reminds me of Ms. Kiran Bedi who had taken various steps to reform the inmates in Tihar. May like to Google it.

Do you know which OEM will they be supplying to?
baahubali is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 18:49   #3
BHPian

Default re: Minda Automotive component unit inside Tihar Jail!

I personally think that this venture is ethically questionable. While I understand that the objective is to teach the convicts useful skills that they would be able to use upon release, one must remember that they are the responsibility of the government and the cost of jailing them is borne by tax payers. Here are some questions that come to mind:

- What wages are these prisoners being paid? I fear that they might be exploited due to their very unique (weak) position.

- As imprisoned industrial workers, what labour laws would apply to them? Will they enjoy the rights due to them under Indian laws?

- When the cost of imprisoning (and all the associated costs) is borne by the government, should a private company profit from this? Could these prisoners not be used for public projects instead?

- I presume that there must be some sort of profit sharing agreement with Tihar Jail/government. Have the details been made public? Are there sufficient anti-exploitation measure incorporated in the agreement?

- On what basis was Minda Furukawa chosen for this project? In this time when multi-thousand crore projects are in jeopardy because of illegal licences or corruption, where does this venture stand?

Let me be clear that I am not against jail ventures - the TJ's snacks and other pure jail ventures are good initiatives to reeducate prisoners on the verge of release. But this particular venture rings alarm bells.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:01   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Minda Automotive component unit inside Tihar Jail!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Remember this scene?

This is the first thing came to my mind, although I don't wish anything like this.

But yes, its a good effort, not sure if this is MODIfied effect, if turns out good, this is what we will need going forward
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 04:48   #6
BHPian

Let me try and answer one by one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I personally think that this venture is ethically questionable. While I understand that the objective is to teach the convicts useful skills that they would be able to use upon release, one must remember that they are the responsibility of the government and the cost of jailing them is borne by tax payers. Here are some questions that come to mind:
Ethically questionable? The prisons in India have their own rules. IIRC, it is not mandatory for the jail inmates to join the company(in this case). I stand corrected on this.

Quote:
- What wages are these prisoners being paid? I fear that they might be exploited due to their very unique (weak) position.
They are not paid on par with the workers outside, but they have an opportunity to save whatever the little they earn. Once again IRRC, they are paid on an hourly/daily basis, so there is no chance of exploitation.

Quote:
- As imprisoned industrial workers, what labour laws would apply to them? Will they enjoy the rights due to them under Indian laws?
No Idea about this point. But I suppose they have weekly offs.

Quote:
- When the cost of imprisoning (and all the associated costs) is borne by the government, should a private company profit from this? Could these prisoners not be used for public projects instead?
- I presume that there must be some sort of profit sharing agreement with Tihar Jail/government. Have the details been made public? Are there sufficient anti-exploitation measure incorporated in the agreement?
My friend, why don't you think out of the box. Would you take the risk of training a bunch of hard core criminals? There is a certain amount risk that is involved here. Why should the details be made public? Would you believe if I say that few jails in and around Hyderabad operate Petrol Pumps with jail inmates as attendants? Yes, petrol pumps adjacent to jail premises. These attendants are paid.

Quote:
- On what basis was Minda Furukawa chosen for this project? In this time when multi-thousand crore projects are in jeopardy because of illegal licences or corruption, where does this venture stand?
Let me tell you, it is not at all easy to get permission and clearance to set up an industry in the jail premises. The project will have to be approved by the state government and also by the prisons department. It would be apt to say that the project would be scrutinised thoroughly.

Quote:
Let me be clear that I am not against jail ventures - the TJ's snacks and other pure jail ventures are good initiatives to reeducate prisoners on the verge of release. But this particular venture rings alarm bells.
Respect your views on the above, so I would not like to commet.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 09:15   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Minda Automotive component unit inside Yerwada Jail!

This project (running in Yerwada jail, Pune) seems to be going quite well. M&M are now thinking of repeating the same in Nagpur jail. Check this out.
Quote:
30 inmates are part of a unique, life-changing socio-commercial project put together by M&M in collaboration with the Minda Group, one of its key suppliers

Logistically, Yerwada is close to M&M's automotive plant at Chakan. M&M and Minda jointly approached jail authorities in July 2014. A set of 30 inmates were chosen and trained in this particular job. The DG Prisons at that point of time took responsibility of the project to ensure that it did not meet any bureaucratic hurdles. Intense Training "This initiative is part of our alternative thinking," says Sikka of M&M. "This project makes the inmates employable, once they serve their sentence."

The inmates who were chosen for harness project were those serving a longer sentence, besides having a 12th standard qualification. They were put through intense training over three months and began work in a 5,000 square feet facility
Quote:
Since starting this March, the Yerwada project has increased daily output of wiring harnesses from 70 units to 90. "We may request the jail authorities to scale up the production to 100 units per day if the demand arises," says Sikka
Quote:
Mahindra personnel keeps a strict vigil on quality parameters. It uses PPAP - Production Part Approval Process which ensures that only 100% fit wiring harnesses are used. On the job learning is important and inmates are regularly kept updated on critical matters such as safety, quality circle and Kaizen
Quote:
This initiative has also caught the attention of other inmates. Many have evinced interest to learn and work on the wiring harness project. The current shift of 30 inmates on a single shift can go up to 100 inmates. M&M and Minda are upbeat about this project and are looking to take it to the next level both in commercial and social impact. "In the next phase, we may look at Nagpur Jail for such a project and will soon commence talk with the jail authorities," chairman Minda.
KomS_CarLog is offline   Reply With Quote