Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:47   #1
BHPian

Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Rapid DSG Review is located at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Skoda's launching the Rapid now with a new DSG auto box.

This tranny will only be available on the diesel model on the mid Ambition and top end elegance Variant.

The Surprise?

Unlike the Octavia/Superb which come with the 6-Speed DQ250, the Rapid will come with the dry type 7-speed DQ200 DSG Gearbox!

This is possible as the Rapid's figure just cuts the Mustard when it comes to the maximum torque figures that this gearbox can handle (25.5 kgm)

Other Changes
1) Skoda also plans the black edition which will be available only on the top end Elegance variant which adds certain cosmetic upgrades to the exterior of the car.

2) The Diesel engine has now been downsized by 100 cc, but produces the same power and torque figures.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2014 at 16:35. Reason: Linking to our own review :)
Starfire is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid Diesel & 7-Speed DSG. Black edition too

Good move by Skoda I think. It will surely create a buzz among folk looking for a sub 15 lac diesel sedan. The article does not mention a price but indicates a lac over the top diesel manual which I reckon would put it in the 11 to 12 lac region.
Honda could possibly face some heat and might spur them on to bring out a diesel AT city.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:53   #3
gemi_kk

I never thought Skoda would launch this most awaited engine + Tranny combination first.

Good move Skoda. But i am still wondering, How could they manage to extract the same power and torque figures by reducing the engine to 1498 CC from 1596 CC.

Kudos, for not touching the suspension & other parts to retain the same old Handling.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 22nd September 2014 at 19:55.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:30   #4
BHPian

Now this brings an interesting proposition. I am 24 and am looking to buy a small diesel car. I was looking at the polo GT TDi and TSi. Although i wanted diesel, TSi was on cards because of the autobox. Now that Rapid is both diesel and automatic brings out an interesting dilemma.

Is it worth shelling out 3 lacs over polo for the 7 speed DSG. I drive alone or at max with a co passenger, so from practicality front both serve my purpose.

I am big fan of VAG mods and think polo wins there. confusion - confusion.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

The issue that Skoda will have to face is that the Rapid is available for about a lakh discount. If the DSG does not have any discount, the difference between the Rapid Manual 1.6 diesel and 1.5 diesel DSG will be in the range of 2.5 lakhs+ which could psychologically trouble buyer's minds.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The issue that Skoda will have to face is that the Rapid is available for about a lakh discount. If the DSG does not have any discount, the difference between the Rapid Manual 1.6 diesel and 1.5 diesel DSG will be in the range of 2.5 lakhs+ which could psychologically trouble buyer's minds.
That's a correct observation. I am hoping skoda prices it 50k above elegance that would make it 1.5 lakh more expensive in all. Interesting! fingers crossed
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:57   #7
BHPian

Good move to tackle falling sales and customer satisfaction? Its a tricky move keeping in mind the surprises DSG gearboxes can bring about when its not working well. Hope this gets a thumbs up from customers along with good customer service.
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

The news is a mixed bag. I am glad that Diesel DSGs are coming down the segment into worthy cars.

But can the DQ200 handle all that torque without trouble? Wouldn't the wet type DQ250 be a better choice?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

It is going to be interesting to see the condition of all the post-warranty DSG equipped cars owned by unsuspecting B,C segment car buyers. Check this out (especially comments section):

http://paultan.org/2013/10/11/volkswagen-drop-dsg/
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is this real? Rapid scores over the Octavia? Yumm!

Aside: How reliable is this DSG - has the technology undergone the fixes needed to make it reliable over longer term?
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Is this real? Rapid scores over the Octavia? Yumm!

Aside: How reliable is this DSG - has the technology undergone the fixes needed to make it reliable over longer term?
The DSG issue of the DQ200 has been a big reliability concern.
However Skoda claims to have improvised this issue by bringing certain software upgrades and strengthening the mechatronic mechanicals post the launch of the new Octavia which uses this improved version of the DQ200 in its 1.8TSI model.

Now this claim may be true as we hav'int heard that many complaints of mechatronic faliure in the new Octavia. Either that or maybe its still to early to call as its barely been a year since the cars launch and long term still needs to be looked into.

That being said there is a temporary fix for this issue from the car owners end.

Golden Rule:
Don't let the car stay in drive for more than 10 seconds when the car is stagnant.

This will prevent overheating of the mechatronic unit and probably may prolong its life.

Cheers!
Starfire
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

OR

"How to get rid of some excess DSG stock now that you've decided to go back to good old Torque Converters"

Put it on the only volume model you have and call it "Black Edition".
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Unlike the Octavia/Superb which come with the 6-Speed DQ250 ,
The Rapid will come with the dry type 7-speed DQ200 DSG Gearbox!
This is possible as the Rapid's figure just cuts the Mustard when it comes the minimum Torque figures that this gearbox can handle (25.5 kgm)
Here in Europe, the Octavia, Golf and the A3 are all available with 1.6L TDI engine + 7-speed DSG.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here in Europe, the Octavia, Golf and the A3 are all available with 1.6L TDI engine + 7-speed DSG.
Yes i know that Bro, but those markets can afford that combination as DSG faliures are significantly less abroad because:

1) The running conditions like less stop-go traffic and less environmental temperatures ensures better life of the DSG.
2) Volkswagen have already issued for a global recall to set the gremlim in the box right. Sadly India wasnt on the list of fortunate ones to get the recall.

Cheers!
Starfire
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 06:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who has had 2 DSG failures on my Superb, all I can say is that so called Golden rules to avoid them are myths. I switch to N at any decently long signal, do not push the car too much by trying to drive predictably et al - but of course can't do anything about the terrible peak hour South Bombay traffic I drive in. The good news is that Skoda seems to be willing to repair DSG failures free of cost - hopefully, they will follow that policy for the Rapid as well. Though why they don't announce a 10 year, 100000 km warranty for the mechatronics boggles my mind.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed