Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th September 2014, 22:11   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet launches updated Sail hatchback & sedan

As a previous owner of a Chevy Spark, I loved that car. More than that, I loved their maintenance packages. For a car within a budget, the Spark was the best we could afford at that time.

But, Chevrolet just lost its plot in India. Yes, they make good cars. Yes, their ownership packages are great. But, come on! a sedan with chrome as an update. I could get it done in SP Road for 1/10th the price if I want to. This is where Chevrolet needs to look up and pay attention. They are so worried about changing things that they are left in the dust. Where's the next generation Chevrolet products? Where's the India-specific innovation / refinement? Where is the competitiveness and marketing blitz? For those who've owned one and liked it, like me, it's a great disappointment that we are no longer attracted by their products. They built a loyal customer base and then shredded it.

Good job, indeed [/sarcasm]
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 23:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Their advertising is misleading as well with them proclaiming 15 new features in yesterdays papers across the country - image attached - if you take a look a lot of them are just cosmetic enhancements if at all one can call them that. In my opinion the one's below are off the table right from the beginning in terms of calling them features to begin with - go to a Alibaba and half if not all of these things can be carried out at home.

Chrome AC vent Bezel
Chrome garnish on center vent
Silver door handle surround
Silver gear shifter bezel
Silver I/P stack center bezel
HVAC controller with chrome decor
Silver HVAC fan switch
Steering wheel with golden bowtie

So that drops the list down to 7 out of which 2 tone dashboard , leatherette upholstery , back-light power window switches and 2 din audio system are probably the meatiest.
At least, they didn't mention 35 new features by splitting some of those line items as follows:

Silver door handle surround - driver side door
Silver door handle surround - front passenger side door
Silver door handle surround - rear left door
Silver door handle surround - rear right door

Same with the AC vents, silver blower switch etc.

EDIT: Can someone sue them if the "Golden bowtie" on steering wheel is not pure gold under the misrepresentation of facts?

Last edited by zenren : 26th September 2014 at 23:24.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 23:22   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
This is purely a salvage operation and by that yardstick GMI has done well and made the dull and drab interiors feel a bit more premium. The Sail sedan is a decent looking and proportionate Sedan offering most of the segment defining features alongwith a properly tuned, proven diesel mill and drivetrain, it is atleast more pleasing to the eye than the similarly priced wierd looking compact sedans ( from the outside). It is only the interiors that utterly disappointed, especially because it was replacing the Aveo sedan which carried classy interiors. It's just a nip and tuck job and for that I find the effort acceptable.

The Sail shouldn't be discarded just because it is Chinese. Or is it? Doesn't it have German underpinnings?

And please, for the sake of existing GM customers / employees / vendors, don't wish GMI to shut shop or leave, just because they "do not take the Indian market seriously". Neither does Toyota, Honda, Nissan-Renault, Ford, Fiat, VW and for that matter even Suzuki to certain extent.
GM India left Opel owners stranded and moved on to the Chevy brand. And when they did do that, they did not capitalize on the iconic Chevy imagery and rather launched a version of the matiz. Their sedan Aveo did not get a Diesel engine in spite of them having access to the fiat MJD. I know they may have had constraints, but if a carmaker wanted to be serious in India then they have to have a diesel and I just think GM didn't take it seriously enough. Secondly, when they had a chance to make a comeback of sorts with a hatch / sedan duo they choose to launch these sail twins which are remarkably similar the etios twins in terms of its uninspiring styling. They could have launched the sonic which has the capability to take on the i20 or the polo but there is no sign of it. And don't even get me started on the Enjoy. It looks better only next to the evalia and nothing else. It's now becoming a cabbie favourite like the tavera, a market which the sail twins could not crack. Sure, I love the Beat and the Cruze, and appreciate GM for backing these cars, but if you have been in India since 1996 then GM should do better. If fiat or skoda or vw don't do well today you can attribute it to a very limited product portfolio or to a certain extent service quality, but just look at GM, they have 3 sub 5 lakh cars, 1 entry level sedan, 1 MUV under 10 lakhs. These are the segments where there are huge volumes and others like skoda or Vw or fiat have just 2 cars each under 10 lakhs.

And In spite of very limited options in the entry level sedan segment, the sail has hardly done well. Even the zest has managed to grab the attention of all, what's the sail doing now?

I really wish global companies like GM respect the mindset of the Indian customers and brings in much more newer and exciting cars. I say the same for Honda and Toyota as well, but they have a fan following in India which unfortunately GM doesn't , at least not any more.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 23:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I really wish global companies like GM respect the mindset of the Indian customers and brings in much more newer and exciting cars. I say the same for Honda and Toyota as well, but they have a fan following in India which unfortunately GM doesn't , at least not any more.
Chevy used to have a huge fan following in the older generation. When I say Chevrolet to my parents, the first thing that comes to their mind is the grandeur of the Impala in yester-years. I remember my mom asking if we can have our Zen in the "Impala red" shade long back.

However, what GM did was to launch a relatively unknown brand like the Opel at the time when the generation that dreamed of owning a Chevy one day during their childhood were still the earning members in the family and were making the car purchase decisions. By the time they finally introduced a proper Chevy, that generation who desired it was already starting to yeild to the preferences of their auto-crazy children who didn't have any nostalgia with Chevy.

If the Chevy brand had come to India in the 90s, I'm pretty sure my parents would have went with it instead of a Maruti.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 00:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... as a Chevy Sail UVA Tdci owner for last 3 months, these upgrades are more demoralizing for a -just-wont-sell car/brand! And looks like they paid lots of media houses to call it a 'GM Launches new Sail UVA/Sedan' article! Shame!

But fact remains that its space and roadcomfort puts a smile everytime I take the car out.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 01:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

The tag lines of Chevrolet India are quite confusing.

Find New Roads
Sang Rishte Chale

In anycase, none of them appear to be practical for Chevrolet.
Chevrolet is not finding any new roads for Indian customer.
And there is no Rishtey (relation) left for the existing customers.

I own a Beat (P) 2011 and my next wishlist upgrade was a Cruze (incase of a seadn) or a XUV 500 (incase of a SUV).
Now that Cruze was killed by doing something to the front end of the car, I have nothing else left in the Chevrolet stable. So may have to find new roads to the XUV showroom.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 06:31   #22
BHPian

This is probably the most underrated car in India at the moment.

A neighbour bought one recently and a relative the petrol hatchback version. My parents were "wow"ed by the size and more importantly the price of both. For me that would be the feedback an average Indian would give if they laid their eyes up close on one.

So the pertinent question, what's wrong?

I believe it is two fold:

1) Brand recall and perception for Chevy in India is poor. The primary market for volume cars would not be just the metros, but tier-1 & 2 towns as well. Thats where there is a gap.

2) The whole sales & service experience adds to the above point. Since many here are happy with the service, I assume this again could just be a perception.

If this is what is wrong, then advertising a "golden bowtie" won't get Chevy anywhere. GM was one of the first to setup an offshore campus in India in such a scale. They should use that to leverage their presence in India. But its easier said than done coz this would mean more autonomous decision making in India.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 06:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

A neighbour bought one recently and a relative the petrol hatchback version. My parents were "wow"ed by the size and more importantly the price of both. For me that would be the feedback an average Indian would give if they laid their eyes up close on one.

1) Brand recall and perception for Chevy in India is poor. The primary market for volume cars would not be just the metros, but tier-1 & 2 towns as well. Thats where there is a gap.

2) The whole sales & service experience adds to the above point. Since many here are happy with the service, I assume this again could just be a perception.

If this is what is wrong, then advertising a "golden bowtie" won't get Chevy anywhere. GM was one of the first to setup an offshore campus in India in such a scale. They should use that to leverage their presence in India. But its easier said than done coz this would mean more autonomous decision making in India.
I believe it's a lack of USP. There is nothing to differentiate the Chevy from other cars in the segment.

Sail gets sandwiched between the compact sedan segment from below and the proper entry level C segment cars from above. Without a distinct USP- there is no reason for a customer to ignore the other more popular brands and walk into a Chevy showroom.

For example- imagine the case if it looked as stunning as the Cruze, or had a more powerful engine as the distinguishing factor.

Fact is- Chevy tried to play the value card with the Sail twins. But that's purely Maruti/ Hyundai territory. Not only that - the Sail sedan closely follows the formula set by the Toyota Etios twins, which even the mighty brand could not pull off- forget Chevy.

Well, Toyota atleast managed to pull in cabbies, Sail failed there as well, thanks to the brand perception.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 07:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

When someone points me out to the Sail / UVA, the weird that comes in mind is 'Bland'. I find no zing or a reason to even go visit the showroom.

Pricing is fantastic, reliable proven engine with good FE so it does tick all the boxes an owner wants but sadly GM is the culprit here. They have ruined the brand name by their own deeds and now many run away from this brand.

GM was too aspirational to be Maruti and Hyundai with the Sail UVA / sedan. In one way it is good to see a refresh giving to slow-dying product. At least customers will realise that such a car exists.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 13:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

I agree strongly with much of what you have said including why the car is not taking off. The core problem is that one can have a decent product offering but the brand perception needs to kick in as well for general up-liftment in terms of "intent" to purchase and that is where GM is lacking. I do believe they are also under the misconception that their reputation internationally and their history in India is substantial enough when it comes to the brand having good equity with the consumers............ unfortunately this is not the case anymore , their brand and their equity as eroded over the last many years simply because they have been a bit laid back in their approach to the market and atrociously lazy when it comes to post purchase ownership experience and their dealer network and quality.

In such a scenario , coupled with the fact that there are no new releases coming in for a while now from GM - next is 2018 i believe - it is imperative to put in some effort , in their case possibly substantial, towards rebuilding the brand and the reputation here in India - simply launching 3 year car packages is not going to help - we see that for example with Skoda as well , it is one of the easiest things to do but will only encourage a consumer to some extent and i personally believe will not be the sole driving force to induce a purchase.

And add to that the market dynamics - we have absolutely brand new , good looking , feature packed cars coming in right now- Zest/Bolt for example , how does one stand above this noise with your product - well one way to NOT do it is to take out what is essentially a minor facelift and call it a brand new car.... do they really think people will not catch on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Last edited by puchoo : 27th September 2014 at 13:18.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote