Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th September 2014, 23:10   #16
BHPian

But the 1.6 TDI is going out of production, right? I presume all future Ventos may not have this option and just the 1.5 TDI.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 23:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: And the Award for the 'Car with most engines & transmissions' goes to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But the 1.6 TDI is going out of production, right? I presume all future Ventos may not have this option and just the 1.5 TDI.
Correct. The TDI will only be the 1.5. The Manual Petrol Vento and the Manual and AT Rapid will continue to use the 1.6 Petrol engine.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 06:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: And the Award for the 'Car with most engines & transmissions' goes to....

It appears that Skoda are going slow on investments in India because of uncertainities of doing business in the country. The CMD Sudhir Rao mentioned issues like technology transfer, the Fiat case - payment of excise duty on discounts etc. He mentioned Fabia in particular, stating that if they were more comfortable with the investment climate, they would have invested heavily in the Fabia replacement. There is a hint of focussing more on India if the uncertainties are removed.
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporat...ainties-670968
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 08:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

I looked at a 1.2 Petrol for my mother but for the price it did not cut it. A 1.2 TSi manual would have been the way to go!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 08:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I looked at a 1.2 Petrol for my mother but for the price it did not cut it. A 1.2 TSi manual would have been the way to go!
But for normal city driving 1.2 should be OK, or so I felt.
Highway driving pleasure is totally missing as I've experienced after driving 400km.

And yes, 1.2 manual TSI would be really nice I agree.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 09:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why did VW do this? It's partly due to poor planning, and partially due to circumstances. The 1.5L diesel is what the Polo should have been sold with from day one; the erstwhile 1.2L 3-cylinder diesel was too unrefined and suffered from horrible turbo-lag. It gave the Polo a bad name. The small car excise duty (benefiting sub-4 meter cars with <1.2L petrols & <1.5L diesels) was in place before the Polo's launch. VW always had the 1.6L diesel which they could have downsized even back then.
Incidentally, I think, they did it right. Due to two reasons:

1) Starting with smaller engines helped the Polo in no small amount in positioning it as a non-guzzler. Else we would have another Palio in our hands.

2) By periodically modifying the engine options, they are able to keep their portfolio fresh. While other manufacturers resorts gaudy blings, sticker jobs and bad face mods in the name of face-lifts, doing nothing to the power trains, VW is doing well offering us updated engines.
blacksport is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 16:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I guess the 1.2/1.6 MPI options are still there in the line-up just to advertise that low starting price. In reality they can do with just two engine options (1.2 TSI & 1.5 TDI) with the power outputs of 90bhp and 105bhp.

Agree with you on the 1.2 TSI & 1.5 TDI part!. This should also help them save a lot on the manufacturing costs (now that they are coming up with a new engine plant)
R.Haree.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 17:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Folks, any reason I should choose the 1.5L vento diesel DSG over the 1.2 litre petrol TSI?

I test drove the polo GT TSI and absolutely fell in love with the peppy engine. I also test drove the 1.6L vento diesel but was not as impressed by it. I also saw an autocar review in another thread which compares the DSG TDI and the DSG TSI and concludes that the TSI is more peppy.

I understand the diesel would be more fuel efficient but also more expensive. From a driver viewpoint, would they be the same? What about maintenance?
You test drove the Polo tsi and the Vento tdi, right? Well in that case the polo tsi would be definitely more sprightlier than the vento tdi because the polo is a good 90-100 kilos lighter than the Vento. That weight loss gives the Polo Gt a definite advantage over the Vento. The said weight loss is exactly the reason why the Gt Tdi is faster than the Vento Tdi.

For a clearer picture, you should test drive the vento tsi and pit it against the vento tdi. I personally don't know which is faster because I have never driven a Vento tsi.

Purely from a driver's point of view I would choose the Vento tsi DSG over the Vento Tdi DSG. The diesel has more torque but lacks in character and soul. The Tsi would be much more refined, better sounding, more exciting, and have a better top end power. Besides the petrol car's 175nm torque is well below the maximum torque limit of 250nm that the DQ200 transmission can handle. So more safety margin and less risk, I guess.

Of course if you have very high usage then diesel makes more sense.

On the other hand if you want to cut down the costs and risks as maximum as you can while still have a great driving experience with buying a vento, get the Manual TDI. Would be a pain to your legs in traffic though.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 18:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Kudos to VW for bringing so many options to the table. But I am still very apprehensive. All this excitement about DSG doesn't really make sense to me since the reliability of the whole unit is still a big suspect. Yes there are talks of them having finally figured out the fault but then its still to prove itself. Such claims have been made in the past too. And with no extra protection being offered to customers on there DSG boxes, a failure will really pinch the customer in this price bracket. Going by the figures on the forum, a whole unit replacement a couple of years down the line would easily be almost worth 15-20% of the total car value itself.
Completely agree with your point. While a thumbs up from the perspective of an enthusiast for such a lineup is understandable, but this classic cart before the horse approach might end up doing more harm than good.

As GTO said, this situation has arisen partly due to circumstances. Despite that, without assuring people of the reliability of their products, I'm afraid once VW gets a lukewarm response from the market, everyone will start blaming too many engine/tyranny options as a reason!

Just to give an instance, someone I know is looking for a decent automatic sedan. I told him how the Vento/Rapid are the answer to all his prayers. When he asked if the DSG is now reliable, I really didn't know what to say.

In fact I am sure a lot of people in this forum who are elated with these options will think very hard before going for a DSG. VW should have addressed these concerns from the word go by offering extended warranty.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 19:58   #25
BHPian

Completely agree with GTO. I am yet to see a worthy competition for the various options VAG is coming up with. As someone rightly mentioned, each option more or less has become the best one in that segment. It is very hard for Japanese/Koreans to beat this. Somehow, I always feel that Europens build their cars to satisfy your heart.

At the end of the day, it is good for customers as they now have that many options to choose from.
skotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 22:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Fabia should be sharing this title with the Polo. If I remember correctly, the engine options on the Fabie are/were: 1.4L MPI, 1.4L TDI, 1.2L MPI, 1.2L TDI and 1.6L TDI. So there we have it 5 for the Polo and 5 for the Fabia; It's a tie!

It seems that Skoda have now given up on the Fabia and are channelising their focus on cars belonging to higher segments.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 06:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

I want to see one more addition: Polo Cross or Yeti with 1.5 TDI and DSG.

I had pretty much decided to book Rapid with TDI-DSG combination. Wife loves Skoda cars too, so she was excited. Budget is not a problem for us, safety and comfort are. Rapid comes almost loaded with both. I would have preferred more airbags though.

Then it rained in Bangalore on Wednesday and that washed away our plans. Sedans with paltry 170 mm ground clearance are just not suited for Bangalore, since this kind of water logging happens at least ten times every monsoon.

Now I am trying to convince wife never to consider a sedan.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 11:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I want to see one more addition: Polo Cross or Yeti with 1.5 TDI and DSG.

I had pretty much decided to book Rapid with TDI-DSG combination. Wife loves Skoda cars too, so she was excited. Budget is not a problem for us, safety and comfort are. Rapid comes almost loaded with both. I would have preferred more airbags though.

Then it rained in Bangalore on Wednesday and that washed away our plans. Sedans with paltry 170 mm ground clearance are just not suited for Bangalore, since this kind of water logging happens at least ten times every monsoon.

Exactly! (Not so much with the polo cross/yeti). That 1.5 TDI engine with a DSG would be just sweet. Enough of the DSG bashing. With the right driving technique and Oil change it shouldnt be as much a problem as before. Though the price would be high 250 Nm of torque and 105 BHP will make you forget all your problems. Anyways Kudos to VW for offering so many options for consumers. Also sincerely hope that they improve on the A$$ front.

Thanks
Sunny
Autodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 12:31   #29
BHPian

Nice analysis GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b]P.S. The Polo GT 1.6L TDI is the best diesel hatchback ever sold in India. It'll be remembered as an icon. Fast, torquey, manual transmission, good fuel economy, excellent driveability and immense practicality. A rare car that appeals to the heart as well as the head!
Would you say the same thing about the Petrol GT TSI?

Last edited by rednikhil : 27th September 2014 at 12:32. Reason: repositioning.
rednikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 15:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

That's why I went for a crossover though I prefer sedans. Instead of rains in Bangalore, it was a trip to Cochin back in 2010 that convinced me to look for something that can tackle poor roads and water logged areas better than sedans.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote