Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th September 2014, 16:42   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Maruti recalls 69,555 cars for fixing faulty wiring harness

Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker in terms of sales, has recalled 69,555 diesel cars to rectify a problem with their wiring harnesses. This recall is pertinent to 12,486 units of the old Swift, 55,938 units of the old Dzire and 1,131 units of the Ritz manufactured between March 8, 2010 and August 11, 2013.

Maruti claims that the problem with the wiring harnesses was noticed based on feedback monitoring and internal checks by the company.

The company's dealers will contact owners of all the affected vehicles and the dealership workshops technicians will inspect the wiring harnesses. The necessary repairs will be carried out free of cost.

Additionally, owners of the abovementioned Maruti Suzuki models can log on to the manufacturer's website and ascertain if their vehicles are in the list of recalled vehicles. Owners need to enter their car's chassis number (MA3 or MBH followed by 14 digit alpha-numeric number) in the provided field.

Alternately, owners can visit the nearest Maruti Suzuki dealer workshop to ascertain the same.
Aditya is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 19:18   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti recalls 69,555 cars for fixing faulty wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker in terms of sales, has recalled 69,555 diesel cars to rectify a problem with their wiring harnesses. This recall is pertinent to 12,486 units of the old Swift, 55,938 units of the old Dzire and 1,131 units of the Ritz manufactured between March 8, 2010 and August 11, 2013.

Maruti claims that the problem with the wiring harnesses was noticed based on feedback monitoring and internal checks by the company.

The company's dealers will contact owners of all the affected vehicles and the dealership workshops technicians will inspect the wiring harnesses. The necessary repairs will be carried out free of cost.

Additionally, owners of the abovementioned Maruti Suzuki models can log on to the manufacturer's website and ascertain if their vehicles are in the list of recalled vehicles. Owners need to enter their car's chassis number (MA3 or MBH followed by 14 digit alpha-numeric number) in the provided field.

Alternately, owners can visit the nearest Maruti Suzuki dealer workshop to ascertain the same.

I checked for my RITZ Diesel. And it came out to unaffected from the wiring harness issue as per the Maruti's website.

I may sound stupid but its a period of more than 18 months, so how does Maruti knows that which 1131 Ritz are having faulty wiring harness. I mean what's the mechamism to make sure that every affected machine is corrected.
napster1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
I may sound stupid but its a period of more than 18 months, so how does Maruti knows that which 1131 Ritz are having faulty wiring harness. I mean what's the mechamism to make sure that every affected machine is corrected.
For the emboldened bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ication_number
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 19:43   #4
BHPian

Talking Re: Maruti recalls 69,555 cars for fixing faulty wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Thanks Patriot. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Wiring harnesses manufactured by Suzuki vendors would have been used for thousands of Ritz D manufactured over 18 months of stated period. So each harness' unique product number must be associated with the unique VIN. And thus by this logic if xxxyy type of harness had faults, then all the vehicles with affected VINs should be recalled.

So as per the info releaed by suzuki in total 69,555 diesel vehicles have faulty harness.

After typing this much I feel I understood it correctly. Still posting this, in case I missed something, if not this might help someone .
Old 30th September 2014, 20:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The harness is made by a vendor and every harness will be given a specific number that will be linked to the specific VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

So when the vendor issues a quality alert for the harness, Maruti feeds those 'affected' harness data into their database to track the cars on which these affected harness were used.

This is how they have narrowed down onto the numbers of Ritz, Swift and old Dzire's.

EDIT: I just checked to find if my Swift ZDi is affected by this recall or no. Good news is it is NOT affected.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th September 2014 at 20:03.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 21:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Patriot. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Yup,you are correct.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2014 at 23:11.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 00:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The harness is made by a vendor and every harness will be given a specific number that will be linked to the specific VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).

Anurag.
I did not know if every single part has a unique identification. Thanks Anurag.
Old 1st October 2014, 00:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I did not know if every single part has a unique identification. Thanks Anurag.
May be then there would be a batch of the 'affected' harness say 1000-2000 manufactured with one batch number and used in different cars with different VIN. Like this don't know how many batches of such harness were manufactured.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 02:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have reported a problem with my 2013 July make Ritz VDI's Average Mileage display getting reset after driving through bad roads here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3335142
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3290404
This problem is, till this day remain unsolved. I feel, this is related.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 07:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have reported a problem with my 2013 July make Ritz VDI's Average Mileage display getting reset after driving through bad roads

This problem is, till this day remain unsolved. I feel, this is related.
Is your car listed in the recall?

Anurag.
Old 1st October 2014, 08:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Maruti recalls 69,555 cars for fixing faulty wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is your car listed in the recall?

Anurag.
Not in the list. However, confirmed that the problem occurs after riding through bumpy roads. And, Popular Elamakkara(Cochin) service centre asked me earlier, to leave the car for two days to check the wiring harness, which they believe is the problem.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 09:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Not in the list. However, confirmed that the problem occurs after riding through bumpy roads. And, Popular Elamakkara (Cochin) service centre asked me earlier, to leave the car for two days to check the wiring harness, which they believe is the problem.
Cool. If that is the case then leave it with MASS to check the whole harness and replace it. Since it is not in the recall list they may go against and say that this job work will be paid / borne by you. Do remind them that you have been complaining regarding this issue since long, even before the recall was announced.

If required show this thread and your ownerships too.

EDIT: Do keep us posted on this. Finally some light is seen regarding the solution.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st October 2014 at 09:05.
Old 1st October 2014, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Appreciate the move by Maruti. Good change to see of official manufacturers issuing a recall instead of the customer landing up at the service center & the SA saying "We've seen this happening a lot recently".
rohansachar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 12:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

I somehow overlooked this thread. My 2010 Swift Ldi was part of the recall.

The guy from Maruti headoffice called me and suggested that I can get it replaced from any M.A.S.S however when I reached my regular service center they said that only dealers can replace it.

Then the dealer called me and I booked an appointment. The job was done in less than 10 mins.

I had asked everybody as to what was the problem that they were trying to prevent but didn't get any answer. May be they didn't want their customers panicking but I felt I at least have the right to know why they are changing something in my car.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 20:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Then the dealer called me and I booked an appointment. The job was done in less than 10 mins.

I had asked everybody as to what was the problem that they were trying to prevent but didn't get any answer. May be they didn't want their customers panicking but I felt I at least have the right to know why they are changing something in my car.
Good that the wiring harness issue was solved for your car.

The attitude by these service engineers is somewhat natural I feel. If they let it the matter as to what the issue was, media reports start flouting about adding salt and pepper putting the manufacturer in limelight with a bad name. A recall is a very challenging job that demands high risk so it is done as fast as possible to address and close the issue soon.

As a customer, l agree that we have all rights to know what the issue is all about and is ill effects if neglected. But sometimes this doesn't be in our hands and we have to move on.

I tried asking many times but never got any answer so I left it at that even though my Swift want in the recall band.

Anurag.